porcupine

When you have a choice which of the three local airports to use, how do you decide?  Obviously accessibility is a major factor (someone living in Columbia is more likely to choose BWI over IAD, for example), but how do other issues factor in?

How would you rate the airports based on things like:

departure/arrivals on-time

how close you can park to the terminal

expense of parking

public transportation to airport

length of time to check in

length of lines to clear security

availability of food (qualify and quantity) inside the secured areas

availability of other services inside secured areas

availability of TSA Precheck

size of airport - a short walk from security to the gate vs taking a 2 kilometer walk with a dozen different turns

length of times to clear customs (if you aren't with GOES)

general pain-in-the-assness of it all

For example, I like DCA because it seems easier to check in and get through security, and you never have to walk too far, but once you're in options for things to do/eat are really limited.

Thoughts?

Service to your destination (non-stop, one stop, connecting), convenience of flight departure and return times, and most of all what fare you can get, would surely carry more weight than most of the airport parameters mentioned, for most people, certainly if one is starting from a point more-or-less equally distant from any two or all three airports.  Of course, if someone else is picking up the tab, that affects things as well.

Everybody has circumstances that cause them to value different things differently.  For example, I've been a life member of United's Club (started with Eastern, then it became Continental, now United), so what there is to do once past security never had much effect on my decision -- I just chilled in the club.  In retrospect, that was one of the best buys I ever made, but it was waaaay cheaper then.

DCA is my first choice because it's the closest to my house.  It's only about 15 minutes away by car.  The convenience is the primary factor for me.  If I'm going on an international trip, I'll use IAD because IAD has a larger selection of international flights than DCA.  I prefer to minimize the number of connecting flights I'll need to take.  I rarely use BWI because it's so much farther from me than the other two.

The October 2013 issue of Travel and Leisure magazine had an article about the best and worst airports in terms of delays.  The article is online now, and they ranked Reagan National as No. 5 in best airports with 15.4% flights delayed.

In the print edition of the same issue, they mentioned the airport with the lowest chance and the airport with the highest chance of extreme-weather delays.  Phoenix was the best at 0.25% and BWI was the worst at 0.84%.

• Like 1

Living in DC, we will pay a little extra to fly out of DCA. Takes us approx 20 minutes to Metro there. Don't have to deal with parking/car etc. Metro drops you off right there.

Next choice is BWI because it is easier to drive to from where we live or taking the train/shuttle bus from Union Station isn't a bad option. In general, I find IAD has the worse selection of flights and price...of course once the Silver Line is up and running Dulles might become a more attractive option.

• Like 1

We live an equal distance from all 3.

I prefer DCA for ease of parking and general convenience. But parking is more expensive and I'm not usually trying to get in and out at the height of rush hour.

Next is BWI. Generally cheap to fly in and out of. The parking shuttles are on the sparse aside and don't run often enough.

I don't like Dulles. I just don't. I don't like the parking. I don't like the food.I just don't like it. But if I can get a direct flight for significantly less money then I use it.

Service to your destination (non-stop, one stop, connecting), convenience of flight departure and return times, and most of all what fare you can get, would surely carry more weight than most of the airport parameters mentioned, for most people, certainly if one is starting from a point more-or-less equally distant from any two or all three airports. 

What got me thinking about this is that the last time I tried to book a flight, these parameters were all about equal for all three airports.  All had about the same departure times, with about the same total flight time (connections in different cities), at about the same price.  So I ended up choosing DCA because it's a little less painful to get there and get through security and to the gate.

Last few times I've been through IAD it's been a slog.  Long walk from parking, long walk to the counter, long lines at security, long walk to other end of terminal to find a slightly shorter line through the other security area, then onto the tram to get to the midfield terminal, then long walk through that to get to the gate, which of course was at the other end from the one food vendor that seemed acceptable....

Granted I'm not most people, but after several recent experiences I would pay more and drive farther to go to an airport with shorter security lines.

And, all other things being equal, I'd choose the airport with the better food vendors.  :)

Slightly off topic here, but I can't recommend joining the Global Entry program, which gets you access to the "TSA Pre" lines, strongly enough. Whatever airport you wind up at, this significantly cuts down on time and frustration. Not only are the security lines shorter, but they move faster, and once you get up to the front it's an all-around easier and more civilized experience (not having to take off your belt, remove your laptop from your bag, etc.)

Slightly off topic here, but I can't recommend joining the Global Entry program, which gets you access to the "TSA Pre" lines, strongly enough. Whatever airport you wind up at, this significantly cuts down on time and frustration. Not only are the security lines shorter, but they move faster, and once you get up to the front it's an all-around easier and more civilized experience (not having to take off your belt, remove your laptop from your bag, etc.)

I did, but for reasons I won't detail here, we had to take an airline that isn't yet in the TSA Precheck program.  Getting through customs in Toronto, though, was a snap.  Next time I fly, I will definitely take a TSA participating airline, even if it costs most, even if I have to drive to BWI...

Really depends on availability of non-stop versus stop and the price.

DCA is 15 min from home; IAD is never more than 45 min any time of day; BWI can be brutal (taken me up to 2 hours once).

For me to fly out of BWI, it needs to be a lot cheaper and the times need to be right.  I don't like how Southwest at BWI has no TSA Pre, though lines are never long.  I do like BWI has an Arbys.

Unless I'm flying internationally and there is a much cheaper direct flight involved I would rank them:

1) DCA

2) BWI

3) Wisdom tooth extraction without anesthetic

4) IAD

I've just had so many bad TSA experiences there and the added cost in actual dollars for cab/parking plus emotional trauma just isn't worth it anymore. We have family in Philly and if the cost is roughly the same I would rather drive up there to fly overseas, or take a DCA connection through New York for a little extra cost.

I used to dread BWI, but the last few flights I've taken have been a breeze, and the extended parking options are great.  As mentioned above I won't take any flight that has me leaving around rush hour in either direction due to traffic.

• Like 3

I shop for flights based on price and time-of-flight, with on-time percentage becoming an increasingly important factor. I always enter WAS as the originating airport (which includes all three).

For whatever reason, and I don't know why this is, it seems that in the past few years, my percentage has been:

IAD: 70%

DCA: 20%

BWI: 10%

Living in Arlington, I'm pretty much equidistant from IAD and DCA, and BWI is my last choice, so that probably has something to do with the percentages - all other things equal, I'll pick one of the Virginia airports.

Does anyone remember how *awesome* BWI was to travel from back around 1990?

The use of three-letter airport codes has become trite.

--- Off-topic:

I remember a long, long time ago, I took a flight that left from National, and connected in Dulles before going on (it was cheaper to leave from National, if I recall). Outside of a puddle-jumper in the Caribbean, it was the shortest flight I've ever taken.

I also had a near-death moment landing at DCA during a flash thunderstorm. The entire immediate area was blacked out by rain, high winds, and lightning, and the plane was being tossed up, down, sideways "¦ at what must have been the last second, the pilot aborted the landing and pulled the plane straight up. People on the plane were screaming, some were praying. I will never forget the look of the pilot's face as we exited the plane - she knew that the decision to abort probably saved the lives of a lot of people.

A similar situation happened to me coming into BWI. We crossed over the Chesapeake near the Bay Bridge and you could see a wall of black to the West. The pilot tried to make an approach and then turned out, we looped back over the Bay Bridge and approached again, pilot pulled out, looped again over the Bay Bridge and then headed to Norfolk. Probably a dozen Southwest planes were already sitting all over the tarmac in Norfolk. We later found out that they had to close BWI due to a tornado threat as we were making out final approach. Our plane was full of priest...still not sure if that was a good sign or not!

• Like 1

If ease of parking is an important criterion, then one should check out the private parking lots available near many airports.  I don't know the current situation at DCA or IAD, but in the old days I'd use of one these at BWI and it was so far better than the airport's own parking that it's hard to understand why anyone would park in the airport's lot.  Private lots are typically a bit cheaper, sometimes with a points system for future free parking, but more importantly typically have clean and comfortable shuttles that run frequently, and the drivers actually hop out and take care of your bag for you.  They also typically pick you up and drop you right at your car -- no hike to some central kiosk.  In Atlanta where I fly from nowadays they even offer you a bottle of water gratis for the ride in to the terminal. And it is generally just as quick, if not quicker, to use them.

Does anyone remember how *awesome* BWI was to travel from back around 1990?

YES I DO!  BWI was my preferred airport from the mid-80s to late 90s, while living in Maryland.  It was simply great -- easy access, not huge crowds (of course, this was before TSA).  Unfortunately, that changed.  The last time I flew from BWI was in early 2007, after many years of flying out of other airports.  I was stunned at the growth at BWI and the accompanying inconvenience.  It was *almost* as bad as Dulles!

The private lots at BWI make getting in and out a breeze. I like "The Fast Park". Under $7/day, it's a short 3 minute drive from the terminal, and they pick you up AT YOUR CAR and put your luggage directly on the bus. On pickup, there's nearly always a bus waiting at the curb, and again they take you right to the car (and will even put your luggage back in the trunk).

It's about 30 minutes for me to DCA, 40 to IAD, and 45 to BWI. On my own dime, it's price first, then time; on the company's dime, it's time first, then price. I will go with a non-stop, even on a non-preferred airline, whenever possible. I find myself using BWI about 50% of the time, DCA 40%, and IAD 10%.

Fascinating topic that touches several nerves:

1.  I drove a cab for Barwood while working my wiay through college and for a while after.  I remember Friendship and the absolute thrill when someone told me to take them there from, say Potomac.

2.  I got a ticket on Christmas Day in the early '70's for 31 in a 25 zone at National.  While driving a cab.

3.  Barwood had an $8.00 special from Bethesda to Dulles in '67 (.50 a mile-meter ran $12.00).

I am a "Miller Mile Flyer" on United.  That's a million miles actually flown and I qualified before the merger with Continental. For perspective @500 miles per leg that's literally 1000 roundtrip flights to New York, Boston, Detroit, Charlotte, Cincinnati, etc. United promised a lot of stuff that they no longer guarantee Million Mile Flyers. But that's for another forum.  (FWIW, they used to set aside two seats per plane 11 months to the day for frequent flyers.  That has now changed.  A lot of seats only show up a month or less in advance and this depends on how much they've sold.)  Because I was and still am frugal (i.e. I spend disposable income on food and wine and not airline tickets...) I fly out of wherever I can get the best fare.

1.  National is the easiest-you can park in the garage and the walk to most gates is not very far.  Stunningly beautiful flying into at nighttime.

2.  If Southwest were not at BWI I would feel differently about it.  United often has MUCH cheaper flights from BWI than from Dulles to the same city.  Because of Southwest.

3.  I live six or seven miles from Dulles (in Reston) and usually somehow, over the years, ended up with 6:00AM flights from BWI.  Of course United from BWI to Cleveland was less than $200 roundtrip and from Dulles sometimes more than $800.

Sometimes when it is pouring down rain and I cannot walk the paths of Reston I drive to Dulles and park in one of their garages.  And walk.  It's 3/4 of a mile from the far end of one of their daily parking garages.  With luggage it seems further.

I also had a number of literal Day Trips to several European cities.  I once had an eppouisses party leaving my house on Thursday afternoon, flying to Paris for a three hour meeting 15 or so km from CDG then returning to the airport for a 1:30 flight that landed at Dulles at 3:30-twenty two hours later.  I had several hours to set up for the party.  I bought the cheese at DeGaulle.

I got to the point that I would drive or take a train almost everywhere that was 250 miles or less, rather than fly.

Now retired, I hate to fly.  And I can buy eppouisses in Reston.

• Like 1

I have no idea where these three-digit airport codes originated from, but here's a cheat-sheet for folks who see nothing but a bunch of acronyms:

IAD = International Airport, Dulles

DCA = DC Airport

BWI = Baltimore-Washington International

The first two, at least, are my own acronyms I "invented" so I could remember them - they may be correct, they may not be, but hopefully, they'll help you remember.

Twice this year I've used a reasonably-priced private limo service to get to/from the airport, and it was so much better than driving, parking, schlepping luggage.  The time saving was worth the small amount extra it cost vs parking fees.  Best of all: we had arrived at Toronto for a connecting flight to find that all flights into all Washington area airports had been cancelled for the day. We were in the airport for hours (with hundreds or probably thousands of other people) trying to get on a flight the next day and realized we could go to any airport they could get us to because we didn't have to pick up our car.  Totally worth it.

I have no idea where these three-digit airport codes originated from, but here's a cheat-sheet for folks who see nothing but a bunch of acronyms:

DCA = DC Airport

The first two, at least, are my own acronyms I "invented" so I could remember them - they may be correct, they may not be, but hopefully, they'll help you remember.

Your acronyms (actually, the three-letter codes are initialisms, but that's putting a fine point on it) are essentially correct.  These codes are set by IATA, and essentially every airport of consequence in the world has one.  There are various rules and traditional patterns used to come up with them.  Everybody's favorites are FUK (Fukuoka, Japan), and SUK (Batagay-Alyta, Russia).  Easy to remember, for sure.

Your acronyms (actually, the three-letter codes are initialisms, but that's putting a fine point on it) are essentially correct.  These codes are set by IATA, and essentially every airport of consequence in the world has one.  There are various rules and traditional patterns used to come up with them.  Everybody's favorites are FUK (Fukuoka, Japan), and SUK (Batagay-Alyta, Russia).  Easy to remember, for sure.

Don't forget Sioux City, Iowa: SUX.

Back when I flew back and forth from Denver enough to be upgraded on United every now and again, I discovered that BWI, though a slightly farther drive,had a much lower concentration of Gold/Plantinum-level flyers -- or maybe fewer flyers willing to spring for business class -- and the likelihood of an upgrade was significantly greater.

I do find that BWI is the best bet for "off-brand" airlines with a lower price.  Spirit, Southwestern, etc.

I also had a number of literal Day Trips to several European cities.  I once had an eppouisses party leaving my house on Thursday afternoon, flying to Paris for a three hour meeting 15 or so km from CDG then returning to the airport for a 1:30 flight that landed at Dulles at 3:30-twenty two hours later.  I had several hours to set up for the party.  I bought the cheese at DeGaulle.

You're probably the type of guy who would fly 5,000 miles for a hamburger ;)

• Like 1

BWI or DCA (within 1 or 2 miles of equidistant). IAD only as necessary.

Food and service have no bearing on my preference, just convenience, cost and destination. By the time I drive to IAD, I could be in the terminal, near boarding time, at BWI or DCA.

DCA = DC Airport

The first two, at least, are my own acronyms I "invented" so I could remember them - they may be correct, they may not be, but hopefully, they'll help you remember.

Now this is an area I know something about!

Airfield codes come from two sources. One is an agency of the United Nations called ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization). The other is an industry trade association called IATA (International Air Transport Association).  One uses three characters; the other four.  Some airports have two different codes. Both organizations are based in Montreal, home of inferior bagels. :D

Most aviation types believe that the ICAO system will eventually subsume the IATA system due to the latter's limitations as the number of airfields needing a code grows.

For those really hoping to learn more, here is an article originally appearing in 1994 in Airline Pilot, the journal of the Airline Pilots' Association. It's fairly comprehensive covering the history and politics of it all while having a bit of fun.

Enjoy! :D

When I moved to Europe I was amazed at how simple the process was and how helpful the people were at IAD.  Dealing with unusual luggage and TSA was a breeze.  I will deal with all three airports in December and January and don't have strong feelings either way.  It makes a difference though that I won't have to deal with transportation or parking.  That being said, the Southwest terminal at BWI has the best drinking options when unfortunate circumstances arise.  On the other hand, I think Dulles has the best duty free in the area if thats your thing.  

Unless I'm flying internationally and there is a much cheaper direct flight involved I would rank them:

1) DCA

2) BWI

4) IAD

Yes. A thousand times yes.

I live in DC. DCA is 20 min/$25 by cab, or 30 min by metro from my house. With a little kid, metro is preferable if I have the time, since I don't need to worry about a car seat.

BWI and IAD are both more than an hour. $100 for a ride, more or less, or, if it's the right time of day and there's enough time, I can do metro-MARC-shuttle to BWI, which takes I-don't-know-how-long. DCA also has the fastest security lines. The food is fine, especially if you go there often enough to have figured what to get.

1) DCA

2) BWI

4) IAD

Exactly!

I have a flight scheduled for noonish on Christmas from IAD, and I am again regretting the airport choice (although it really was the only option, as anywhere else would have extended our already 21 hours of flight time).  As long term parking is sure to be full at that time, I'm realizing that my best bet might be to stay at a park-and-fly hotel near the airport on Christmas Eve.  Which brings me to my next question - is there anywhere near Dulles that will be serving a decent Christmas Eve dinner as we will otherwise be skipping Christmas this year?  Or is this just a bad idea?  I just get so nervous getting to Dulles, as there always seems to be something that makes it take an extra two hours.

This is not an answer to your question, but is staying in a hotel cheaper than getting a car (taxi or otherwise) to take you to the airport? Or is there just nobody running car services on Christmas?

(I feel for you. I am familiar with the long haul flights--it's a 30 hour trip for me to see family.)

Exactly!

I have a flight scheduled for noonish on Christmas from IAD, and I am again regretting the airport choice (although it really was the only option, as anywhere else would have extended our already 21 hours of flight time).  As long term parking is sure to be full at that time, I'm realizing that my best bet might be to stay at a park-and-fly hotel near the airport on Christmas Eve.  Which brings me to my next question - is there anywhere near Dulles that will be serving a decent Christmas Eve dinner as we will otherwise be skipping Christmas this year?  Or is this just a bad idea?  I just get so nervous getting to Dulles, as there always seems to be something that makes it take an extra two hours.

I park in one of their two garages or use valet parking depending on how long I am going to be out of town.  In 30+ years of heavy travel, mostly out of Dulles, I have never used long term parking there.  Not once in 500 or more trips.  Even if you live in MD and you are going for a week, take a cab to Dulles.  And back.  If you're going for less than a week then park in one of the garages.  Or use valet parking where you'll leave your car and have a thirty or forty yard walk to the terminal.  It's just the easiest way to travel from there.

Christmas Day the place will be empty.  You won't have a problem.  You really won't.  Valet parking directly in front of the terminal if you're going for a week or less.

I noted this above but forty or so years ago I drove a cab on Christmas Day for Barwood in Bethesda while I was going to college..  I got a ticket Christmas morning at National.  Still don't believe it!  And a few years shy of a half century I am still talking about it!

Dulles will not be a problem for you on Christmas Day.  It really won't.  If you're going for a week or less use valet parking directly in front of the terminal.

Exactly!

You know, you could always ask, and a dr.com member might drive you to the airport.

You know, you could always ask, and a dr.com member might drive you to the airport.

You are kind to think of this, but I wouldn't dream of asking someone to interrupt their Christmas morning (religious or not, it is still a day off!) to drive my ridiculous family.

Valet parking won't work, as we will be gone for almost three weeks.  Uber will cost about twice as much as staying at a hotel out there, but I should probably just do it anyway.  I was just trying to be creative.  On the front end, I think the hotel would be easier, but now that I'm thinking about it, adding any step at all to our return will be very difficult as we will start with a midnight flight, have 21 in flight hours with a kid in coach and then a 12 hour time difference.  So maybe I will just stay home and make dinner on Christmas Eve!

FYI, sometimes cheaper fares will show up in kayak or expedia if you search all 3 airports "Washington DC-All Airports (WAS)" on kayak than if you search just a single airport.  I am not sure why, and it seems like it should not be the case, but it happens.