Flavors Soul Food, Carlyn Springs Road at Bailey's Crossroads - Closed (and Reopening?)

I love Flavors, but never try calling in an order. In all my attempts (more than a dozen) I have never gotten them to answer the phone. Both the fried chicken and the pork chop are worth the wait.
I'm overly fond of the fried trout and the mac and cheese...the black eyed peas are good but I find the collards a bit bitter.

I love this place too. The fried chicken is awesome -- and they serve huge portions. One day when I had to go to an early dinner, I thought I could skip lunch, but around 3:00 I was starving and happened to be minutes away from Flavors, so I thought I would just get a fried chicken sandwich. Imagine my surprise to find that the sandwich was not a petite boneless fried chicken filet, but a ginormous breast on the bone with the wing as well with 2 slices of wonder bread along side. My advice -- forget the sandwich and just get the chicken.

I'm slowly emerging from my Flavors-induced food coma. As I was in a hurry, I opted for the Sides Platter (to go) and selected Macaroni and Cheese, Collard Greens, and Red Beans and Rice. Generous portions of all three, with the beans and rice thoughtfully packed in a separate, lidded container. The greens, seasoned with smoked turkey and dressed up (by me) with a little white vinegar, were just right. Not too tough, yet not cooked to death, they had a nice bite and bit of texture but the stalks were tender enough to bite right through.

That mac 'n CHEESE - OMG - so good! While it needed a touch of salt and would be out of this world with a really tasty cheddar in it - well, for soul food it was some of the best I've had. Heck, it was just some of the best I've had period!

The beans and rice were a winner too - big fat smoky red beans, cooked to a creamy texture with rice layered in between scoops of beans. A little bit of hot sauce really set them off for me. The platter came with corn bread (or dinner rolls if you prefer) that was sweet, moist, and cake-like. No need (or room) for the home-made cobblers that are offered for dessert. Probably 2-3 meals worth of food for just over $8.

If you're getting carry-out, be sure to ask for the vinegar and hot sauce. With all the talk of bad websites, I think they win for the cutest, homiest site!

That mac 'n CHEESE - OMG - so good! While it needed a touch of salt and would be out of this world with a really tasty cheddar in it - well, for soul food it was some of the best I've had. Heck, it was just some of the best I've had period!
Alone I would agree with you the Mac 'n Cheese needs more salt, but when you eat it with the fried meats it is properly seasoned. The next time you go, get some fried chicken and a side of Mac 'n Cheese, take a bite of chicken then a bite of the Mac 'n Cheese. I think that you will find that the residual salt in your mouth will perfectly season the Mac 'n Cheese.

Had a decent lunch there on Friday, ordered the Fried Pork Chop Dinner with mac & cheese and collards as my sides. Saw some plates of the fried chicken going out that looked pretty good too. Will have to try that next time.
The fried chicken is really good but don't overlook the fried trout. Small to non-existent bones, great taste (no Wonder Bread though). I ordered the chicken on my first visit but one of the party ordered the trout. It's been on my favorites list ever since.

My well-under $20 dinner at Flavors last night: the smothered chicken (the daily special), mashed potatoes, collards and corn bread. This was delicious. The chicken was incredibly tender, the potatoes were nicely peppery and the collards, with some added vinegar and hot sauce, were very tasty. I managed to get a taste of the fish (thanks, Scott) and it was wonderful. Others in our group (-- and welcome, Angela) tried the fried chicken, the pork chop, the mac and cheese and the fries. There was a lot of food, I could have shared my plate with another person easily. I was too full for dessert and so I guess I'll have to go back. I feel a little silly that I'd never been to Flavors before since it's just a few minutes from home.

Curious minds want to know: how much was the dinner? What was the average cost of entrees?
with drinks (cokes, water, etc) around $10 each. Dinner without tax and drink was around $8. Our dinner (me and Grover) was $21.51 which included tax and drinks. That was chicken, trout, whiting or pork chops with 2 sides and biscuit or cornbread. The mashed potatoes are properly lumpy and peppery, the black eyed peas are just right, the rice and beans are good...the mac and cheese is cheesy and flavorful...just like Mom used to make (actually more like my grandmother used to make).

Anybody been here recently? I love soul food, and I have been meaning to try it, but I see the posts are a little older...should I be nervous? ;)

Thanks!

I went a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it as much as ever. I have not seen any drop-off in quality.

Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue is my favorite barbecue joint north of Alabama. Wonderful meat, wonderful sides, micro brew beers, what's not to love? Their greens are the best I've ever had, anywhere, and the mac and cheese is to die for. Pork spare ribs, baby back ribs, beef ribs, beef brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken. They grill their garlic bread, make sure you get some! A trip to Richmond is not complete without a trip to Buz and Ned's.

Comfort restaurant -- new Southern cuisine -- if you are a big fan of Southern style cooking, this place is pretty much wonderful. Every entree comes with two or three sides (your choice, three sides are a couple of dollars more than two sides), and you can get a vegetable plate (some of the vegetable dishes have pork).

I had the fried catfish with mac'n'cheese, greens, and fried okra as sides. Mac'n'cheese excellent, the greens do not compare to Buz and Ned's, the okra was a revelation, fried whole. Excellent corn bread. This will be added to my list of "musts" in Richmond.

After complaining endlessly about the lack of really good Southern/soul food in the DC metro area, I am throwing in the towel and heading to Richmond when I have a "soul food jones."

Ilaine you need to try Flavors in Falls Church. I'm from the south and think this is probably the best fried chicken I've ever eaten.

Um, ok. :rolleyes: How exactly did they ruin Flavors?

Before all the publicity, Flavors was a great place to go, place an order, wait for 10 or 15 minutes and go...then...hordes descended, you couldn't get your fix of fried chicken without wading through 30 or 40 people in line...the aggravation, the aggravation...(that was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. When we first started going to Flavors, it was a neighborhood only (somewhat) place. Came the good reviews....)