Looking for a New Winery in Northern Virginia

DanCole42

I consistently see Linden and RdV praised as the go-to wineries in the area and, indeed, they happen to be my personal favorites. My "problem" is that I exhaustively research everything, so I'm always "stuck" with the best... what's the point of exploring if everything else will disappoint by comparison?

So that's why I turn to you, DR crew... outside of RdV and Linden, what should I be trying? Are there any exciting newcomers to the scene I should get in on the ground floor of? Are there hidden gems waiting for me to discover?

I don't like crowds and it's supposed to rain this weekend, so a nice, quiet, indoor space is welcome. :)

46 minutes ago, DanielK said:

Ditto to Glen Manor recommendation.  I've also heard Black Ankle Vineyard in MD recommended (by some of the staff/estate owners at Linden and RdV so I tend to trust them.)

In Charlottesville, you should give Barboursville a try.  They have more everyday drinking wines than most of the higher end vineyards, but their high end wines are among the best.

As an aside, Linden also just brought out two new vintages last week, both of which I enjoyed during the tasting.  They also released the new Hardscrabble Chardonnay, but that one's not on the tasting menu. 

3rd the Glen Manor rec.  Jeff and Kelly are absolutely wonderful and their wines in my opinion are some of the best in VA.  Its also my favorite atmosphere - its small and even when its packed, it never feels crazy like some of the other vineyards.

Delaplane is nice - though I feel like the quality of their wines has been slipping of late.

4 minutes ago, MarkS said:

I've never been to a local winery.  Am I missing out?

To me, it's to support local business, enjoy a day (or weekend) trip, see some beautiful vineyards, and drink some good wine.

The better VA wines are really good, but still overpriced. You're not doing it to save money - even at a case discount price, you can go to Total Beverage and buy better wines from other regions at a better value per dollar.

So as long as you have the right expectations, I vote for going. But if your only goal is to drink great wine at a great price, probably not for you.

• Like 1

I vote Glen Manor just so you can see the majestic Hodder Hill vineyard from below (and buy some of their *killer* Sauvignon Blanc) to take home with you. If you see Jeff, tell him you're a buddy of mine, and that you'd like to see what the Hodder Hill patch looks like.