15 hours ago, genericeric said:

And that is the last nice thing to say about the food at this restaurant.  Well, the conch fritters were fine.  

This is no small statement - I don't think I've ever had "great" Conch Fritters in my entire life. (Has anyone? And, if so, where did you find them? I've been to numerous Caribbean Islands, and have never had anything better than a mediocre hush puppy with flecks of things that could have easily been clams - and I mean never-ever.)

Of course, that doesn't change the restaurant up, or down, from where it might lie, but really good Conch Fritters would be worth noting.

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I don't think I've ever had "great" Conch Fritters in my entire life. (Has anyone? And, if so, where did you find them? I've been to numerous Caribbean Islands, and have never had anything better than a mediocre hush puppy with flecks of things that could have easily been clams - and I mean never-ever.)

Poop Deck at Nassau.  I don't think they're great or if there is such a thing.

2 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Poop Deck at Nassau.  I don't think they're great or if there is such a thing.

Conch fritters are the Florida equivalent of RI clam cakes. Either you love them or you don't. People who expect big hunks of clam (or something) are always disappointed with their first bite. Sometimes they come around, sometimes they don't.

2 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Conch fritters are the Florida equivalent of RI clam cakes. Either you love them or you don't. People who expect big hunks of clam (or something) are always disappointed with their first bite. Sometimes they come around, sometimes they don't.

Totally what I was thinking, too! I love clam cakes. Whenever I order some there’s a discussion of how much clam is in the cake.

• Like 1

Garfish balls, at a restaurant in Louisiana, somewhere on the edge of a swamp (Honey Island or Bayou Savage...can't really remember) was one of the best deep fried things I have ever eaten, to this day. They were perfect. Just enough fish. Perfect little scallions. Fresh corn (but not too much). I still remember that meal and it was a very long time ago. (and alligator tastes like catfish, not chicken. 😉 

Conch fritters have very little to do with conch.  Conch is a very tough, flavorless, almost inedible piece of shellfish.  The breading and seasoning are the key!  Like French cries, how they are fried is also important.  That said, I have enjoyed them at many places in the Florida Keys! Good luck in your search!!