Ericandblueboy

Vacation Ideas

The kids and I are all tired of going to Orlando for Spring break.  It's expensive, it's crowded, and we've been there too many times already.  So what are some other ideas for Spring break?

Disney cruise is a possibility.  New Orleans? San Antonio?  Puerto Rico?  Some place warm, lots of kids stuff, good food, no more than 5 hrs flying.  

19 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The kids and I are all tired of going to Orlando for Spring break.  It's expensive, it's crowded, and we've been there too many times already.  So what are some other ideas for Spring break?

Disney cruise is a possibility.  New Orleans? San Antonio?  Puerto Rico?  Some place warm, lots of kids stuff, good food, no more than 5 hrs flying.  

We had a blast in Costa Rica. Tourism drives their economy, so they aim to please. There is plenty to do for all ages; zip-lining, hiking, scuba diving, parasailing, horseback riding, etc. Food is great as well. 

We flew using Copa. One stop in Panama City. Very easy.

If you're interested, PM me. I have an expat connection who will put an itinerary together for you. 

1 hour ago, reedm said:

Food is great as well. 

That was not my experience there. Granted, this was 10+ years ago. The food in Central America was the only thing I didn’t like. What did you eat?

1 hour ago, reedm said:

We had a blast in Costa Rica. Tourism drives their economy, so they aim to please. There is plenty to do for all ages; zip-lining, hiking, scuba diving, parasailing, horseback riding, etc. Food is great as well. 

Went to Costa Rica almost 18 years ago.  Drove around in a 4x4 feeding monkeys everywhere.  It was a blast.  The kids' passports are expired so we won't be going there (until I get them new passports).  Most likely heading to Puerto Rico - I like Old San Juan.  

BTW, the food sucked in Costa Rica years ago.  I ate a whole lot of pretty bland fried fish.

22 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Went to Costa Rica almost 18 years ago.  Drove around in a 4x4 feeding monkeys everywhere.  It was a blast.  The kids' passports are expired so we won't be going there (until I get them new passports).  Most likely heading to Puerto Rico - I like Old San Juan.  

BTW, the food sucked in Costa Rica years ago.  I ate a whole lot of pretty bland fried fish.

I should have said good or very good, but not great. We stayed in a rented house that came with a chef, who cooked wonderful meals. In my limited experience, the CR cuisine was a bit bland, but I understand that's typical.

That said, we had a wonderful time, and I'd recommend a trip there to anyone.