Rooftop Dining

JLK

Five pages of outdoor options courtesy of the Eve Zibart and the Washington Post.

This caught my eye:

Just up the street, the restaurant that was Coppi's Vigorelli and then Brick's has been sold to the owners of Vida. They plan to reopen it as C.P.'s Bar & Grill (for Cleveland Park) within the month, serving casual Italian fare and keeping both the brick pizza oven and the partly covered rooftop intact.

So, is this the new pizza joint Tom was alluding to in his chat? Or are the Greenwood/New Haven pizza rumblings the real deal? The latter intrigues me; the former makes me wish Bricks, a perfectly good neighborhood eatery, had survived.

As a person who frequents drinking establishments in the Cleveland Park area, I ended up at Bricks a time or two, and I think pretty much anything would be an improvement. The roof top is nice, but they served the drinks up there in plastic cups (uck), and they were always out of 1/2 the ingredients in any given dish.

For our MoCo contingent --

Once we find a decent night weather-wise. Mrs JPW and I have been planning to check out the nice-looking rooftop at the SS outpost of Addis Ababa.

The patio at Roger Miller is about 5 feet above sidewalk level. Does that countas "rooftop"? It's taller than the roof of my car.

They had to switch to plastic cups on the roof becuase apparently in the beginning a few cups leapt for freedom and ended up on the street.

I think plastic cups are either law or a conscious decision on the part of many of the bars with decks/roofs to avoid liability. Back when Gazuza was cool (wait, was that ever?) I was pleasantly surprised to get glass on their deck. So easy to peg that unsuspecting stranger across the street with a tumbler...

Edited by Kanishka

Man, I'm going to have to disagree with all the Bricks haters. Maybe I was always just too tanked to notice that it was bad! It was never a first-choice, and never a first stop, but it served it's purpose admirably and fairly cheaply. Any food I consumed there was purely sponge material for the night's second act.

Or perhaps I'm tying it too much in to the loss of the Park Bench, or the dwindling numbers of real neighborhood bars in the city. Especially with the possibility of a Vida-pedigreed replacement whose prospects frighten me. But I'm fully willing to accept all of my own pre-conceived prejudices, however wrong they may turn out to be :P

Couldn't you just as easily throw a tumbler at someone inside a restaurant? :P

Speaking of rooftops, anyone been to Straits of Malaya this patio season? I had a few good meals there in the fall up on the roof, but noticed it looks a little lonely lately. I remember liking the five spice rolls and poh pia.

Couldn't you just as easily throw a tumbler at someone inside a restaurant?  :P

It's just not the same. Something about that freefall drop that is really fun to watch. This is why people (okay, well really men) will hock a loogie off the top of the Eiffel Tower or off the edge into the Grand Canyon.

It's just not the same. Something about that freefall drop that is really fun to watch. This is why people (okay, well really men) will hock a loogie off the top of the Eiffel Tower or off the edge into the Grand Canyon.

Plus, if you throw a tumbler inside the place, the chances of getting tossed and getting the boot are much higher. From the deck out to the street? If you've got a good "but I didn't do it!" face, you'll get away with it. Fun!

(Please note: this is not an endorsement of throwing things from rooftop bars. Please be kind to pedestrians. Thank you)

Stetson's has a backyard that like four people know about. The service is abysmal back there, but it's pretty unique... covered, but outdoors, ivy... A much better al fresco option than Local 16, at the very least.

Don't forget the ledge at Tom Tom!

Stetson's has a backyard that like four people know about. The service is abysmal back there, but it's pretty unique... covered, but outdoors, ivy... A much better al fresco option than Local 16, at the very least.

Used to live around the corner and end up in that backyard all the time on summer nights. Saw some freaky sh*t, and I'm not just talking about the cat-sized-rats ambling across the creepers overhead.

I forgot all about that. That is a pretty nice porch back there.

oh don't you miss the days about 10 years ago when tom tom was a decent place to grab a brick-oven pizza and a beer. alas, it has gone the way of the gum-chewing, baseball cap to the back college masses without even the pretense of serving good food. but that front ledge was the perfect people watching location. you could easily sit there for hours and stare at people without them knowing.