Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Good day,

My name is Matt. I live in Alexandria and I have been described as completely food obsessed. My hobbies include roasting, grilling, braising, and smoking large pieces of animals for long periods of time. I love food and the way food can transform over time. I recently competed in the Food Experiments DC Taco Experiment where we made over 250 tacos out of a 25 lb leg of pork. That was more work than I can to indulge upon again.

I love cooking and entertaining and perhaps want to start a business out of it someday. I am sure you will hear all about it.

My passion lies with classic Italian flavors and courses. I love making fresh pasta and fresh bread. Baking is not my strongest attribute, but I like experimenting.

Anyways, I hope to become a comtributing member and learn from what seems to be a fantastic array of experience on this board.

Ching ching.

Hi . . . I've been reading DR for years, and I'm finally taking the plunge. I am a 32 year old lawyer living in Bethesda and working in DC. I like good food, regardless of whether it is fancy food. My vacation stories usually begin with "And then we ate . . ."

Hello everyone. I live in Alexandria and enjoy good food but admittedly I am not a foodie. I just know what I like and sometimes on the rare occurance, what to expect. I was raised in the South so I enjoy southern food which seems to be a bit scarce up here or you can find it with a 'twist'. I am UVa fan thus my moniker which I use on another UVa forum. I know a little about wine...just enough to be dangerous. I have stuck to mostly Spanish wine over the past decade but move around between France and Italy when it seems appropriate.

We eat out very often and the range goes from Chadwick's to Eve. I am always looking for great restaurant recs and reviews so I look forward to reading more great reviews as opposed to rants that can be googled online. Thanks for letting me introduce myself.

First post, new member...excited to join the site! I live in Arlington, work for the Federal Government, and love exploring all there is too eat and cook in the DC area. At home, I mostly cook regional Italian, but always up for experimenting. Looking forward to all your insight!

Hi! I'm a long time follower but first time poster. My passion is in the culinary arts and indulging in the dining scene of every city I visit. A few years ago I completed the pastry arts and cooking techniques evening programs at L'Academie De Cuisine. I haven't been able to put much into action since I'm now a mother to an 11 month old and also work full time. My joy comes from cooking for my family B) I also try to keep my passion alive via my blog: Live2Eat, but even that has been a little slow on the updates as of late. My little one is requiring a whole lot of attention these days! In any event, I try to keep up to date on all the fabulous dining that DC has to offer, and am surprisingly still able to frequent quite a few. My daughter has also been accostomed to eating out! While, I can't take her to Komi, I do take her to some non-chain, "kid friendly" establishments. I'm excited to be a member of this forum and hope to contribute in the future. Thanks, Don Rockwell, for creating this wealth of information!

Hiya. I'm Angela and I live in Old Town Alex. I'm a Systems Engineer married to a crazy foodie. Despite my enjoyment of fine dining, my favorite meals are often things like a fast food burger, homecooked roast chicken, or pakistani kabob. B)

Hello from the West Coast!

Who was it that said, 'introductions are odious'? Google Books pulls a passage from Rosenmeyer discussing Milton, but somehow it sounds to me like a Gertrude Stein quote.

Regardless, my name is Camas, from the pacific northwest wildflower and not the Spanish for 'beds.' I'm just about to uproot my comparatively bucolic life in Portland, OR and head to DC for work. Being, of course, terribly spoiled when it comes to farmer's markets and serious coffee I have to be honest that I've been a bit apprehensive. A quick perusal of this site has alleviated most of my fears and made me jealous of how much further along you are in the growing season. Corn? and sour cherries? Be still my heart, we've just seen the first of the shell peas.

Looking forward to joining in more actively when I've got feet on the ground.

Hello all- I am a recent transplant to the D.C. area from Pennsylvania. While we don't get to eat out as often as we would like, we do enjoy good food and trying new dishes and places. I am a pretty decent home cook, especially considering my PA Dutch upbringing, where the spicerack was limited to salt and pepper. Our two small children are, if we can help it, budding foodies, too. Asking for more capers or sardines or bleu cheese or bulgogi... I am looking forward to exploring the D.C. culinary opportunities, both for dining out and for buying ingredients for cooking at home.

Hey everyone-

I'm Annapolis born and bred, but now live in the Commonwealth. Love to eat and go out and try new restaurants-have a standing reservation every month with my friends-lately we went to Rasika, Willow, Art & Soul, Brasserie Beck and off to Oval Room next month. Interesting cocktails help also!

Hi everyone,

I grew up in Annapolis, but just recently moved to Alexandria. I'm looking forward to finding some great new restaurants here. While I really miss my Annapolis favorites, I'm thinking NoVa overall has a better foodie scene.

- Mark

Hi everyone,

I grew up in Annapolis, but just recently moved to Alexandria. I'm looking forward to finding some great new restaurants here. While I really miss my Annapolis favorites, I'm thinking NoVa overall has a better foodie scene.

- Mark

Well I hope you and the other new poster above will also help us add to the Annapolis threads! Feel free to start new topics on places we don't have them on--I have been trying to steadily add to the Annapolis places we have!

Hi everyone--I've been lurking here awhile and just decided to do my first post. I love food, restaurants, and all the DC area has to offer culinarily. I'm looking forward to learning and participating with this cool community! Thank you.

HI everyone. Long time "cook" here with a new remodeled fabulous kitchen and I'm back into cooking. Always looking for great recipes (that aren't over-the-top complex). When I tire of cooking, my husband and I are always looking for great places to eat (which can be neighborhoody or more sophisticated). Both here and afar. Looking forward to being part of this community.

First Post here: Hungry man from outer reaches of Montgomery County; yes, urbanites, there's still farm land in MoCo.

Spent 20+ years working in DC; still eat there frequently, but also divide time between metro DC and Balto. So, will probably post about some places up there too... unless I get slapped down too frequently. I am trainable.

be well-

Donnie

Hello Everyone!

I'm an a huge fan and appreciater of all things FOOD. I hail from Arlington, VA and travel the globe in search of food adventures. I grew up eating meals made by my working mom; and often alone. When I discovered at the ripe age of 17 that fresh pineapple tasted miles apart different from the pineapple in fruit coctail, I was reborn. My friends and family have since been on the receiveing end of my experiments and general love of convivial eating experiences. I hope to keep discovering new things and bring people together where good taste is the tie that binds.

Greetings and salutations.

Not associated with any establishment, but have been a supporter and attendee at the Rammy's for three years now.

Long time foody and budding cook, herb gardener and wine connoisseur. I was the guy in the field always trying to improve MRE's with spices and herbs. Not always successfully.

Looking forward to finding good eats and friends.

Good afternoon everyone. As my user name might imply, my name is JB Samuel and I am the new AGM at Ardeo + Bardeo in Cleveland Park. I look forward to many moons with this restaurant and this group, so if there is anything I can do or any question I might answer that will help us to serve you better, please drop me a line.

Thank you very much and I look hope be of service to all of you Rockwellers now and into the future!

Cheers!

Hello all,

My name's Josh. I lived in DC for a number of years (or, as my wife would insist, I lived in Arlington). I spent the last couple of years in Chicago, and just moved back to DC for a new job. I'm looking forward to re-learning the city, especially the new restaurants. I love food- both the making of it and the eating of it. Cleveland Park is my new hood, and while I'm a big fan (eg, walking distance to both Palena and Dino!), I really need to find some nice dives, like I had in Arlington, such as El Polo Rico and all those little Salvadoran places. Recommendations always welcome.

Nice to meet you all.

Josh

Hi all,

I'm Isaac, a stay-at-home dad just moved to Capitol HIll from San Francisco. I joined to learn where to eat and shop for food in DC. I'm pretty indoctrinated by the California cuisine mantra of good food prepared simply (and, of course, well), but am trying to keep an open mind.

Hi there!

My name is David, and I'm a DC native. I've been living in DC for about nine years now, but until recently I did not realize my foodie side. Unfortunately, I spend most of my time at college in Chicago now, so I know more about the Chicago food scene than the DC one. Hopefully that will change soon, thanks to my friends who are still here!

On a somewhat related note, here's Chicago's premier foodie site: http://www.lthforum.com. It's worth checking out if any of you are coming to Chicago.

Hello - I've been living in the area for a little more than four years now and just barely scratching the surface of all the great food in the area. Joined this site to hear what people had to say about places I have tried, and to get ideas for new places to try as well. I love talking about food, reading about food, making food, and of course, eating it. I'm a taurus. I don't think that has anything to do with food, but it seemed like people put a lot more detail into their introductory posts, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Hey Rockwell community,

Thought I'd finally introduce myself and my company... White House Meats sells local, grass-fed, sustainable, and dry aged meats. Only the best and most sustainable products directly from local farms to consumers. At our monthly "Meat-Up" events you can get grass-fed, dry-aged, angus beef, pastured heritage breed pork, pastured chickes, eggs, lamb and veal. Please check out our website (below) and join our mailing list. As far as we know, we are the only consistent source in the area for local, grass-fed, and dry-aged beef. You can meet any one of those three criteria at Whole Foods but not all three, and we beat their prices.

Support local farms and sustainable agriculture and eat delicious meat!

Also, to restaurant people, we are offering wholesale beef and pork. We are the best source for local grass-fed beef and pastured pork. We offer whole primals or sub-primal cuts or portioned steaks and chops. Email us if you're interested.

Thanks,

Seth Cooper

whitehousemeats.com

@@WHmeats

Our Facebook Page

logo.png

Hello. I'm Jason, a native Washingtonian and cooking enthusiast. I've been reading the site for a while but am excited about getting more involved. I've recently taken to exploring the ethnic options in the inner-burbs and am looking forward to more exploration.

My 1 st post. I work for a DC law firm and was lucky enough to grow up/go to school/live in 3 great foodie cities- Memphis, New Orleans and NYC.

:rolleyes: I am enjoying eating my way around DC, I'm particularly fond of spicy ethnic dishes. This website is wonderful.

Hi--I'm Torie. Joining at the suggestion of a dear friend, and excited to learn more about food options in DC. New to the area.

Yay! It's been a crying shame that one of my dearest friends moved here right before I left ... so I task you all with pointing her and her adorable family to great food. Welcome, Tor!

Hi:

My name is Jeff and I'm new to the website too. I'm an avid restaurant-goer and love hearing about new places--the good, the bad and the ugly.

I went to a relatively new place last night--Virtue Feed & Grain, in Alexandria. It's owned/run by the same people who have the Majestic and Eve. I like both those restaurants so I had high expectations for Virtue. But, unfortunately I was a little disappointed.

But I'll definitely try it again and give them another chance.

Thanks,

Hello!

After lurking for a few years, I've finally decided to become a member! I often find myself disagreeing with the assessments of DC's top food critics, and see Yelp reviews as consisting mostly of uninformed noise. But the community here always provides detailed, reasoned commentary on the best places to eat. I hope that I can contribute in kind.

Some of my area favorites:

CityZen

Rasika

2 Amy's

Mikaku (try their house-made udon!)

BlackSalt

Kaz Sushi Bistro

Cafe Atlantico (not America Eats Tavern)

Maria's (Hong Kong-style breakfasts)

Amma Vegetarian Kitchen (try the rava dosa)

Happy eating!

-Charles

Hello,

Just moved to Capitol Hill (Easter Market is wonderful) from NYC so looking frwd to exploring the culinary delights of my new home and making new friends. Am semi-retired, but keep my hand in the wine business through writing marketing materials. Used to teach at the Sommelier Society. A wine geek (BYOB restaraunts?), I also love cocktails and food of all kinds, especially sweetbreads, pork belly, bitter greens in these cold months. Sultana

Hello all, my name is Nick Palermo, I am the Executive Chef at Old Angler's Inn. I've spent my last few months working with my team and getting the restaurant moving in a positive culinary direction. I'm sure most of you haven't even thought about Old Anglers in many years, but it is time to give it another shot. Looking foreword to hearing everyones feed back. Check us out on the web at www.oldanglersinn.com.

Hi, My name is Deborah. I have a daughter who has been living in DC for only 1 yr. and works as a restaurant manager there. We are always looking to go to places with new menu’s and ideas. We also love hidden gems, so I hope you out there can help us find them. Although I live in upstate NY, I visit her often. I am looking forward to having all of you make my culinary experiences in DC memorable!

Hi all! I'm new to the site and excited to look around. I'm 31, single, live in Penn Quarter and work in Tysons Corner. Lots of great bars and restaurants in my neighborhood mean I'm becoming somewhat more of a foodie! Kind of a newbie foodie.

Emily