Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hello!

I am Raj and I love Washington DC for all it has to offer in the form of food! I heard about this website when I moved into the area years ago but was too intimidated to join. But now that I've lived here for over 5 years and get treated like a restaurant critic by my friends, I've screwed up the courage to join and offer my opinions on DC's dining destinations. Here's to many "happy meals"! :)

Hi, I'm Mademoiselle Audrey from Northern VA. I'm a member of Yelp and been Yelping a lot. I am not in the restaurant business but my husband is. Any association with food started when I lived in the South of France for 10 years & worked as a Stewardess in a 50 meter private yatch in Monte Carlo where everyday is fine dining for the people we worked for. That's when I was introduced to champagne called Ferrari, a risotto made from veal stock & expensive champagne, Brunello Muntipulcciano, & Pesto Milanese. I got to travel a lot, I mean a lot. There are months where I will start in Sao Paolo Brazil & eating "Feijoada & drinking caipirinha", then jetting to Paris to have a dinner at Le Chartier to have some foie gras, escargot & steak frites. I would probably call myself a "foodie". I will eat anything & everything that I would deem is palatable & that won't kill me, that's why I like Travel Channel & Food network. Now I am intrigued with "Michelin star" and I am very much into it now. I tried recently one in Venice while with my husband in my 3rd year anniversary and one in New York, before this I'm just happy discovering where the locals eat. I'm just happy to be part of this website.

My name is Mel and my wife and I live in Alexandria and we love eating at the many wonderful restaurants in our area. I read about this site in the Washington Post and and am happy to join in. last night we ate at one of our favorite restaurants, La Strada in the Del Ray section of Alexandria. Our favorite meals there are the Pork Tenderloin wrapped in Pancetta or the Sultimbocca. The service is great and we have never been disapointed with the food. I hope to hear about other restaurants that others have tried and reccomend.

Hi All. My name is Najad and I also was prompted to finally join by the WP article, but I read and heard about the site more than a year ago. I am always looking for authentic dinnig experiences and healthy seasonal and local food. Recent very authentic discovery: In Cloverly, MD on New Hampshire Ave at Briggs Cheney RD, Kabab and Karahi, real Punjab food, real cheap.

I just relocated back home to DC from Chicago, where I lived for about 7 years. In Chicago, I was an event planner for corporate and association groups, so I needed to be very familiar with the dining scene in Chicago and I needed to know quite a bit about food and wine. I will be doing the same job in DC, so I need to learn the local restaurant scene so that I can find the best matches for my client. I also LOVE dining out and trying new restaurants. I am always up to try something new and out of the ordinary and share my experiences (good or bad) with others.

I'm Pete Jones, a newly District-resident, former Arlingtonian. I don't food blog, but I do frequently tweet interesting restaurants, food experiences, or events.. general culinary adventures- @pete_eats. I'm not in the "industry" anywhere, but I am an avid homebrewer and cook. Excited to join the community!

I am a 20-year Washington area resident (Bethesda). I read the WP article, and was very intrigued. I am not in the food "biz," nor is my husband, but we both enjoy cooking and dining out. My most recent dining experience was lunch at the National Gallery of Art, West, on Saturday. Art lovers/patrons definitely deserve a tasteful lunch in that beautiful venue. Really bad service, but we still enjoyed ourselves! One of the most sublime things I have ever had was Jose Andres' cold garlic soup, there, when NG had the Spanish armor exhibition. Lunch for museum-goers is always a challenge, especially with most downtown lunch spots closed on the weekends. Suggestions welcome! I look forward to "lurking" and learning. Thanks for the opportunity!

Rosemary

Greetings everyone! My name is Andrea and I live out in Loudoun County in the middle of nowhere (it is a beautiful middle of nowhere though.) For those that ever venture out this way we have some great wineries and yes even a few good restaurants. Hey a new restaurant just opened in Lovettsville called the Market Table Bistro. I had a great meal there and encourage you take a drive. Chef Jason Lage who used to be the Executive Chef of Lansdowne Resort owns it with his girlfriend Rebecca.. There are many local farms and wineries here and he is focusing on farm to table dining. I had an incredible butternut squash soup there with bits of granny apple and drizzled with homemade vanilla oil the other day - WOW. Here is a link http://www.markettablebistro.com/ to copy or paste into your browser.

Anyway, my husband and I are looking to open a coffeehouse/panini/sandwich shop in Loudoun. We are looking for a restaurant for sale or a space for lease with a kitchen. If anyone knows of anything out in Loudoun (Leesburg/Purcellville particularly) let me know.

I'm glad I read the Post article about Don Rockwell. It's a great site and I look forward to participating.

Have a great day,

Andrea

Hey all, I'm Walt, one of many new members drawn by the Post article. Please bear with us as we learn the ways of this community! My wife and I have been in Washington Area (Alexandria) for the last 24 years and I've always been interested in the restaurant business, but it's only the last few in which I've become very interested in cooking, wines, local food sourcing, etc. So this group just seems made to order. Thanks to Don for making this happen and I look forward to learning a lot from everyone!

Walt

Hi Everyone. I'm new member Monica who also read about this site in the Post. I am not in the restaurant biz but am a paralegal who loves (along with my husband) good food, good wine and cooking (I do, he eats what I cook). My interest in the industry is gaining as I have a nephew who is in his first year at Johnson & Wales Culinary Program in Rhode Island. A few years back, I introduced him to good wine (with my brother's permission....or so I thought). My nephew now loves pairing all types of food withe wine. Through my "lurking" on this site, I hope to discover new places to take my husband (hmmmm, that should be the other way around) to eat and drink. We live in Alexandria and both work in DC. I look forward to reading about great spots for HH's, brunches, lunches, dinner and any meals in between. Thank you for having this site. I haven't finished exploring yet but during lunch, I'll click around the site. By the way.....what/where is FF? Thanks.

I believe there are some open spots along Main Street in Purcellville. Also check out the strip mall near Mickey D's. We went to a "new" place called "Mom's Place" yesterday. Food was okay but service was slooooooooow!

Good luck and please post if you find a spot and open. I'll bring the family.

Like most of the posts I have been reading, I also "found" this site through the Washington Post article. I am in "the industry" and check other sites just to see what people are saying about the dining scene. I love all types of food and wine, love trying new beers, and tasting new cocktail inventions! Looking forward to what everyone has to say and hoping to find new places to check out!

HI - first post and really looking forward to reading and hearing about everyone's experiences. I have a lot of respect for the business side of dining as I worked my way through school doing everything from washing dishes to waiting tables - over 30 years ago. Having said that, I travel a lot and also spend many a night throughout DC finding a bite and a decent glass of wine due to my crazy work and client schedule. As a frequent diner and someone who is focused on the customer/consumer experience I really value the establishment that puts service right in line with quality. Love to find a 'bargain' - yes; love to find a place that I feel really cares about its customers - yes, yes; love to find a place with a decent wine list (stellar is better, decent will do) - yes, yes, yes, yes! Thanks for letting me share and looking forward to group.

Maybe Fairfax?

Hi Everyone. I'm new member Monica who also read about this site in the Post. I am not in the restaurant biz but am a paralegal who loves (along with my husband) good food, good wine and cooking (I do, he eats what I cook). My interest in the industry is gaining as I have a nephew who is in his first year at Johnson & Wales Culinary Program in Rhode Island. A few years back, I introduced him to good wine (with my brother's permission....or so I thought). My nephew now loves pairing all types of food withe wine. Through my "lurking" on this site, I hope to discover new places to take my husband (hmmmm, that should be the other way around) to eat and drink. We live in Alexandria and both work in DC. I look forward to reading about great spots for HH's, brunches, lunches, dinner and any meals in between. Thank you for having this site. I haven't finished exploring yet but during lunch, I'll click around the site. By the way.....what/where is FF? Thanks.

Hi:

I'm Greg. Don't work in the industry; though I do have a Concierge service at the building I manage, so I am always interested to read reviews and find trends. Joined the site though because I love to eat and cook. Hoping to find those little gems for both dining and food prep.

First Post Ever:

Hi. My name is Rob and I am an avid fan of fine food and beverages. Although I am not currently employed in the restaurant or food industry, I have strong ties to a number of restaurants in the metro area. Since I have been out of the scene for a bit, a lot of new restaurants have entered the food service arena and I am eager to try them, enjoy them, and learn along with members of the site.

Hi. I am Ben from northern Virginia. I joined the site after reading about it in the Washington Post. I love to eat, cook, and bake. I enjoy farmer's market and in sourcing locally as much of what we eat as possible. I am hoping to share and to learn from others about food and restaurants in the metro area, and in particular in Virginia.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michelle Miller and I am the chef for Panache Catering Co. located in Middletown, VA not far from Winchester, Boyce and Berryville. I have been in the food business for 30 years! Wow, longer than I thought.

In this area it seems to be hard to develop relationships with other chefs and caterers so I am looking to meet other people that love good food and share ideas and even recipes with those that are interested. We have had a difficult couple of years out here with the slow economy but I think things are starting to look up.

Here is a link to my website. My link

Email me

Hope to hear from you soon!

Michelle

Hi. My name is Charlie Martin. I am joining this board because I would like to expand my knowledge of food and hopefully contribute something in the process. I spent 20 years living in Asia---mainly Beijing, Hong Kong, Taipei, and Manila. Travelled all over China, starting back in 1979. Also have spent various amts of time in other Asian countries from Korea to India.

The cool thing was that I dined on a company expense account at some incredibly fine restaurants---- as well as having frequently eaten some of the best street food you could ever imagine. Counting my student days which reach back to the 1960s, I only became sick from food twice. Once in Taiwan and once in a small town in northern Burma. I myself can't believe it.

As a result of all this, I probably should be a lot more sophisticated about food and drink. Perhaps I am and don't know it. Anyways, I hope I can bring some of this experience to the board.

Quite apart, one subject that interests me lately is salt---how to have good eating experiences while minimizing it, finding the right kind of salts, or good alternatives. Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated.

Hi. My name is Charlie Martin. I am joining this board because I would like to expand my knowledge of food and hopefully contribute something in the process. I spent 20 years living in Asia---mainly Beijing, Hong Kong, Taipei, and Manila. Travelled all over China, starting back in 1979. Also have spent various amts of time in other Asian countries from Korea to India.

The cool thing was that I dined on a company expense account at some incredibly fine restaurants---- as well as having frequently eaten some of the best street food you could ever imagine. Counting my student days which reach back to the 1960s, I only became sick from food twice. Once in Taiwan and once in a small town in northern Burma. I myself can't believe it.

As a result of all this, I probably should be a lot more sophisticated about food and drink. Perhaps I am and don't know it. Anyways, I hope I can bring some of this experience to the board.

Quite apart, one subject that interests me lately is salt---how to have good eating experiences while minimizing it, finding the right kind of salts, or good alternatives. Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated.

If you've eaten street food around Asia, you're sophisticated in the finest sense of the word.

I think Kaz Okochi (of Kaz Sushi Bistro) uses salt as a spice - or perhaps more accurately, as a finishing garnish - really, really well. His dishes aren't "salty" at all, and when there's a grain of salt somewhere, you often know it, you feel it, you hear it, you taste it. There's nothing about his best dishes that contain "sneaky sodium" (which often show up in mass quantities in Asian soups, stews, etc. (refer to running for the water faucet at 2 AM)), and I'd bet that (soy sauce aside), his dishes are relatively low in sodium content.

Cheers,

Rocks

Hello, my name is Nandini Jammi and I'm a first-timer here on Don Rockwell. Boy, was I surprised to hear there's a thriving underground forum frequented by DC food lovers and restauranteurs alike- what a lively and intelligent online alternative for the truly passionate! I created this account on behalf of Amici Miei Ristorante, a popular neighborhood Italian spot in Potomac, Maryland.

The restaurant is co-owned by Roberto Deias and Davide Megna, both of whom spent years at some of DC's best Italian spots, such as Café Milano, Galileo, Al Tiramisu, Arucola and Sette Osteria before they buckled down to open up Amici Miei Ristorante in the Potomac suburbs.

We'll be here on Don Rockwell checking up on the foodie scene as well as posting up info about our events- we have wine dinners, cooking classes and other special events and we'd love for you to know about them.

Grazie! cool.gif

Hello to the group.

My name's Stephen. I have no connection to the food industry, but just a longtime amateur cook and restaurant goer. I'm looking forward to exploring the site. And I'm hoping that it doesn't too greatly exacerbate my current interest in cocktails.

Hello all,

I am working with the guys from Cava on a new fast casual concept. Our first location will open at the end of the year in Bethesda. I have enjoyed lurking and reading the main message board for a while, taking advantage of all the discussion when heading out to dinner with my wife or taking our little girls along with us. We now get to enjoy Rocks' dining guide!

Best,

Brett

Greetings, originally from upstate New York, home to the best "wings" in the country but have lived here for a couple of decades. I am an educational consultant/teacher/tutor in Alexandria and dine out frequently with my husband. We have introduced our 7 year old son to a variety of ethnic dishes, so thankfully, when he is with us, he can always find something to eat at Indian, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Greek, Italian, Mediterranean and Indian restaurants. I am an avid cook who focuses on growing and using fresh vegetables and herbs in my cooking.

I am extremely excited to be a member of this community so I can learn about different eating establishments and broaden our dining experiences since we tend to visit the same places repeatedly.

Marla

Hello. Eric here. Born in Washington, D.C, raised in Silver Spring, MD, now live in Virginia. Recently changed jobs and work on K Street, although not in the food industry. Joined because I usually eat at restaurants 7 or 8 times a week and heard that Mr. Rockwell's site was the best source of information on dining out. My newest favorite lunch spot is the Greek Deli at 1120 19th Street. Fabulous sandwiches and specials.

Hello Everybody!

My name is Danielle Zuralow and I am in love with everything food! I've been with Lyon Bakery for a little over a year now, selling bread to the many wonderful restaurants, delis, hotels and catering companies in the DC, MD, VA area. I am also in the process of starting a boutique cookie company, which if anyone has any advice, it would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm originally from the DC area, went to school at UC Berkeley, where I fell in love with cooking - I attribute that to the orange and lemon trees outside my house (fresh lemon butter over hot-out-of-the-oven blueberry muffins...need I say more?). I hope to connect with the many chefs I currently work with through Lyon Bakery and really look forward to meeting new people in the industry as well. Cheers!

ps. I think the concept of a food baby is absolutely hilarious, and I often experience it due to my inability to refrain from overindulging, and it is my go-to username for everything, so thats where that comes from.

Hello Everybody!

My name is Danielle Zuralow and I am in love with everything food! I've been with Lyon Bakery for a little over a year now, selling bread to the many wonderful restaurants, delis, hotels and catering companies in the DC, MD, VA area

Welcome to the board, I have been picking up bread from your Bakery at the outdoor kiosk at Union Station, I just wish there were more places where I could get it retail (I know Cheestique carries it).

Hi Brett! I just started to work with Demitri about a month ago. You guys are getting bread from us at Lyon Bakery (brioche and challah). Look forward to the new concept and hope to work with you all! Best of luck!

Danielle

That is some good bread and makes a mean french toast!

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm Larry. Been in DC on and off for forty years. DC restaurants and food shopping have improved slowly but steadily, year by year. I'm not a food professional, but I cook semi-seriously at home. I've eaten around the world but I grew up in the South (so I know we don't have any real barbecue around here -- nearest seems to be Lexington NC). This year I spent some time eating great food in cool places in France and Italy but by far the most exciting and memorable food event of my year took place near here, on a gorgeous day in late summer, when my family and I joined a big bunch of regular people to tour Polyface Farm with the completely sane mad genius Joel Salatin. Any of you twenty-something restaurant pros up for creating a moderately-priced slowfood restaurant in DC based on non-feedlot (mostly or exclusively grassfed) meat? I think the time has come. I hope to learn a lot from the participants on this website.

:) First Post ever....

Hello to all. A brief introduction- I'm Kathryn Hull- recent addition to the staff at Corduroy. I am interested in learning more about this city through other people that work at other restaurants. A " dining tour guide " of sorts, I am in search for- the more the merrier. Anyone interested in filling this position or at least giving me some direction is well appreciated. It seems that HH at FF is the place to go to get started- but any other suggestions I would love as well.

Great to join.

Hey there, I'm Ian. I have lived in the DC/NoVa area off and on for 14 years, with 2 stints in San Francisco. I'm not in the restaurant business, but I enjoy cooking, eating and drinking all sorts of food & beverages, at home and out-and-about. As such, DonRockwell.com seems like a great venue for me.

I've been to many, but not all of the most popular restaurants on this forum, and certainly have my list of other spots to hit. I travel a bit for work (mostly Europe) so I occasionally get to some good restaurants there for a bit of "outside" perspective on things. And my times in San Francisco probably accelerated my appreciation for fine food (and grape). I'll try and be a good community member and post whenever I hit a good local spot when it's fresh in my mind.

In the meantime I'm always on the lookout for good spots around Ashburn/Sterling/Reston -- I live near Dulles airport now and would love to see some more quality options out that way.

Hello, I'm Jonathan, in Old Town.

I've been in the area for about 10 years, and work in government--not "the industry". Although I don't work in a restaurant, I certainly enjoy eating in them! I'm enjoying the ever growing number of good restaurants in the area. I'm a fan of beer pairings, good coffee and espresso, and I frequent Old Town, Arlington and the District. The recent exposition of food trucks is an interesting and tasty development!

Hi, my name is Chris Bradley. I moved to the city a couple months ago. I have recently started working at Palena in Cleveland Park. I heard about this forum through my co-workers and thought it would be a good way to get to know other restaurants in the area. I'm excited to read posts about good places to eat and so fourth.

Greetings

Writing to introduce myself. My name is Joan - I reside in the Wash DC area. My work related travels have enticed me into becoming a

over active "Foodie" . I am lucky in that I travel worldwide and have the opportunity to enjoy the many food cultures the world has to offer. I enjoy

learning about new resturants, foods and events. Also happy to pass along information on some of the interesting places I have found

in my travels.

Regards - Joan