Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Hi I'm Toya, and I am new to the DonRockwell Community!

Right now I am taking the final steps in order to improve my business plan. Part of this process includes fleshing the sample menu and drink list.

This restaurant venture is a new hospitality concept I have designed and conceived. It's a fine dining experience and a lounge. It is important that this sample menu reflects some of the new trends in the restaurant world in addition to tapping into some old tried and true food selections that always sell.

I am inviting YOU to participate in a discussion. You will be invited to mingle with others who work in the food and wine industry over drinks and light fare. You will complete a survey of the sample menu and drink list, then we will go around the table and discuss. This event should last no more than 2 hours.

This is ideal for:

-Someone who likes meeting new people in the food and wine industry

-Likes to work in small groups and is respectful of other's ideas

-Currently working in the restaurant industry

and/or has experience putting together menus for dinner parties, weddings, and/or restaurants

-And has no problem verifying their experience if asked

-Can get to the 24th and M St. area after 5pm on Thurs. 11/18/10

Space is limited. This is going to be lots of FUN! And the best part is that it's on ME! Just come with a professional and positive attitude!

If this sounds like YOU please send me an email by 11/13/10. You can also see this event under Yelp.com. Persons will be notified if they have been selected no later than 11/15/10.

I just need one more person. Look forward to talking with you soon!

My first day here- I'm Nancy and found the site thanks to the article in the Washington Post Food section. I haven't been involved in the restaurant biz since I waited tables in Georgetown during college (many years ago). I'm strictly a diner these days. Looking forward to rooting around the website in upcoming days and discovering what's here.

Hello,

My name is Jim Arnold - not in the indusry, but have been wining and dining for many years. Cooking at home, eating well out and drinking good wine everywhere are pretty high up on the list!

Saw the blurb in the Post food section today - looking forward to joining. Tried Yelp, but the anonymous postings and rantings of, shall we say, the less sophisticated and experienced diners grew old fast.

Some recent good dining experiences: 2941, Estadia, BlackSalt, Rasika - none disappointed! Heading to dinner tonight at Siroc after convincing our dininig companions that DC Coast was not the place to go. We'll see!

cheers,

Jim

Hi, my name is Jean and I am new to this forum. Our favorite low cost dinner is the Seafood Bar at the Whole Foods in Fair Lakes. We can get a reasonable glass of wine and nice fish cooked a number of different ways with salad and a starch for about $16. On Thursdays they have fish and chips night with an Irish duo. Looking forward to reading posts about places to try in the area.

Thanks

Hi all - my name is Andrew Kennedy and live with my family in NW DC. I was intrigued by the article in yesterday's post. My wife and I don't get out much as we have 11 month old twins, but when we do, we like to think we can escape to a great restaurant. Hopefully this site will help us. PS favorite local restaurant in our area is Et Voila, a Belgian restaurant on Macarthur boulevard. Great ambiance, authentic Belgian cuisine.

Hello all. My name is Chris and I am new to the forum, but not to good food and drink. Like many of the new peeps here in the last couple days I too was reading about the forum in the Post. I had been dragging my feet for some time to register, and reading the article pushed me over the top.

I am a lifelong resident of NoVA. Not in the industry.

Hello all,

I am a food and wine enthusiast living in the Annapolis area, where the dining scene is somewhat limited (imagine- no Ethiopian restaurants!). I'm interested in your collective reviews of D.C. area restaurants because a trip to D.C. for dinner is a serious time committment that I'd like to make worthwhile! Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Greetings my name is chuck. I read about this site in the Wash Post yesterday and wanted to check it out. I am really into ethnic foods and look forward to being able to access the dining guides. Thanks to all of you posters that provide insights into the VA-DC-MD dining scene. Cheers.

This is my first post - my screen name is Petronel and yes, I am originally from the Netherlands. My husband and I spent many years overseas and are fond of all types of cuisines, therefore, my book shelf is full of ethnic cookbooks. I was happy to read about this blog in Washington Post and look forward to reading reviews of and comments on the many restaurants in DC and the surrounding area. Petronel

Hi everyone,

My name is Sarah and I'm a former DC restaurant addict now transplanted to a community of culinary and cultural delight a bit further south (Charlottesville, VA) -- y'all should visit sometime if you haven't. I'm still in DC on a fairly regular basis and like to keep abreast of foodie goings-on. I can't believe I didn't find this site till after I moved away!

Anyhow, I should also offer the disclaimer that I'm now working on marketing for a small company called Arganica Farm Club that delivers high-quality organic and free-range meats, produce, and other delights to customers' doors in DC. I know from my own past life that finding good food in DC can be a fun adventure (Dupont Circle Farmer's Market, Cowgirl Creamery...), but sometimes not one that you want to have when you're doing the late-working-hours slog. So if you like to emulate your favorite local chefs from time to time without braving the hordes, I'm a good person to know :)

Look forward to seeing more of what the site offers!

Sarah

sarah@arganica.com

www.arganica.com

arganica.com/twitter

Good afternoon everyone. I'm very excited to have learned of (and joined) this site. I have been a "live to eat" kind of guy my entire adult life and am passionate about all things food. I enjoy dining out in the greater DC area, and particulalry when I travel. The best part of traveling for me is to discover and embrace the cuisines of whatever city or country that I am in. I have a particular fondness (read "addiction") to the food and people of New Orleans. I'm also an avid cook and farmers market enthusiast. Finally, I am looking forward to being able to talk all things food with other enthusiasts.

Hello my name is Kate. I want to make every dining out opportunity an experience not to be forgotten. A primary goal is to try cuisine from all over the world in a pleasant and lively environment. So send me your ideas for the DC METRO REGION from Silver Spring to Baltimore, McLean to DC, I like to travel. As a someone who spent her life up to her elbows in home cooking for the family, it is time for me to get out on the town. I enjoyed my meals across the United States. In the Many years ago, my father was a short order cook and soda fountain/ soda jerk,,,,,,I loved his stories. Tell me your stories.

Hi all -

My name is Jennifer and I have a 8 year old daughter and a husband with Celiac Disease. So my focus is mainly on finding place that they can eat safely. I know that many higher-end restaurants are happy to work with diners and there are good chains - Z pizza, PF Changs, Maggiano's, Outback, etc. with GF items. I haven't searched the threads yet but I am sure that rec's exist so off I go to look!

Thanks,

Jennifer

New to the DC scene...

I recently moved to DC and am looking forward to learning and experiencing the local restaurant vibe. I have worked in the beverage industry for most of my working career. I started off as a waiter then moved into a short order cook for a sandwich shop to see what the back of the house has to offer. I realized that the front was more fun so i moved into bartending then managing a bar. This introduced me to the supply side of the industry, which led me to working with Boston Beer Company as well as bartending in NYC. From there I have the privilege to move into my current role working with Premium Distributors of VA. So far, I am a huge fan of DC and have enjoyed the restaurant fair which i have had the luxury to sample.

Looking forward to posting and reading about the local happenings.

-

Hi all, I'm N. Kelly and a frequent diner with a wide range of dining interests and needs--from business lunches and special events to family-friendly dining with very young kids! My husband and I both worked our way through school in the DC area and elsewhere, doing everything from busboy (him) to hostess (me) to waitstaff at many fine and not-so-fine restaurants, and while we're not involved in the business, we're followers and fans of many of your restaurants, with a special interest in wine as well.

Hello everyone-

I'm Karen and I also joined after reading about this forum in the Washington Post. I live in Maryland and work in DC and eat out in both places. I also cook a fair amount and one of my dining out goals is frequently to sample something I don't (or can't ) make at home.

Hello everyone. I am Gretchen, a very long-time resident of Washington, DC, always in Adams Morgan. I moved here when the Omega Cuban restaurant was the excitement here (in many ways) and well before it became an entertainment destination. I love our neighborhood for its many charms and virtues, and sometimes we eat just in the neighborhood. But I like to branch out, especially finding inexpensive but interesting places anywhere in the city. I am a foodie, as is my husband, so we like to cook at lot too. I am happy to be part of this really interesting site. Thanks to all.

Greetings Food Lovers -

My name is Eric and I reside in Silver Spring, MD along with my wife, daughter, and 16 yr old pound puppy. I look forward to reading and making comments re the wonderful restauants we have in the Washington DC metro area.

Howdy foodies. This site was recommended to me by a fellow foodie friend.

Just a quick suggestion for my first post.... if you haven't yet been to Birch and Barley on 14th st, near Logan circle in DC, I strongly suggest it. Great beer, and incredibly delicious food that combines interesting ingredients with old favorite dishes. I started with foie gras and then had a flatbread covered with pea paste, sunchokes, shallots, ricotta and lardo (glorified pizza) barely broiled just enough to make the lardo shrink-wrap itself onto the toppings. That was just my starter. The server was extremely knowledgeable and nice. On a scale of $ to $$$$$, it's about a $$$.

Happy eating,

Jonn

Howdy foodies. This site was recommended to me by a fellow foodie friend.

Just a quick suggestion for my first post.... if you haven't yet been to Birch and Barley on 14th st, near Logan circle in DC, I strongly suggest it. Great beer, and incredibly delicious food that combines interesting ingredients with old favorite dishes. I started with foie gras and then had a flatbread covered with pea paste, sunchokes, shallots, ricotta and lardo (glorified pizza) barely broiled just enough to make the lardo shrink-wrap itself onto the toppings. That was just my starter. The server was extremely knowledgeable and nice. On a scale of $ to $$$$$, it's about a $$$.

Happy eating,

Jonn

Welcome, John. I had the beet risotto there a couple weeks ago and thought it was fantastic.

Hi, I'm Julie. Obviously, I was not the only person who saw the Post article the other day! I am a mom of 3 kids (oldest is a freshman in HS) and wife to a really great husband who, after 20 years still likes me. I am not in the industry, but my brother was a chef for many years in Richmond and I'm half Italian so that's got to count for something. Also was in the entertainment business for years so I have dozens of friends who cook, wait tables, manage restaurants, etc, though mostly in NYC and LA. 2 of my kids have food allergies - mostly dairy and nuts - plus they're just annoying in their lack of desire to try new things, so we tend to end up eating at the same old places. Hubby and I are finally just leaving them home and beginning to stretch our culinary wings again. He turns 50 tomorrow and we will be celebrating with good friends next Saturday. I will post for restaurant suggestions, after reading The Dining Guide.

I look forward to many insights and interesting suggestions here.

Hi to everyone -----

I'm excited to find a place that takes food seriously, and hope to get/share places to go for great food. My name is Dori Ball, and I live in Annapolis. I come into DC often for 2 reasons: 1 -- to go to see the Caps (I'm a big hockey fan) and 2 -- to visit friends and enjoy fine dining. It's been hard to meld reason 1 (hockey game) to great places to eat, although we try, within the time frame that we have and the fact that a pre-hockey meal demands a different atmosphere than fine dining. Location for pre-hockey dining is also a constraint. Although it is not a typical pre-hockey type restaurant, last night we had a good meal at Rasika before the game. However, it did not live up to previous meals enjoyed there.

Alas, Annapolis does not have any really great restaurants, and hence the need to travel into DC often.

In my daily life, I work in various design phases of new home and commercial construction, as well marketing what we build. We have an upscale retail/office complex, Clock Tower Place, which now has some great food/wine places, such as Wine Cellars of Annapolis and Tastings Gourmet, which specializes in artisanal cheeses.

We also started a farmers market this past year to get local growers to bring in fresh produce. It was well received, and I want to expand it this coming year --- so any suggestions on growers, especially of organic produce, would be really appreciated. We are in a high visibility area, with lots of free parking, and had a lot of support from residents. It was great to offer freshly harvested fruits, veggies, etc. ---- we even had a local waterman bring in soft shell crabs ---and great for me, since I would stock up on Friday afternoon for the weekend. The growers who did participate this past season did very well, and will be back next year. So if anyone hears of a grower who might be interested in participating, pass the name on! By the way, we did this farmers market as a community service (we actually lost money to do it, since we had to pay for set-up and clean-up services that were not covered by the token fee that we charge for participation by farmers) --- we simply wanted to support the "buy local" movement as well as make available a place for people to buy the freshest produce.

Hope this isn't too much information for a first post --- I'll try to be more concise in the future!

Just a short note of introduction. I am new to this site. I am not in the food industry, but my husband and I fancy ourselves as foodies. I know that term is overused, but it seems appropriate here. Going out to eat is our hobby. We prefer to spend our money on a great meal rather than the latest electronic gadget. I joined this site to find out about new and interesting places to dine...and to read the reviews. Thanks!!

Hi, this is my first post, and my name is MB. I did it really only because I wanted to get to the dining guide! I am a very new foody, born after a recent trip to Italy, my first time to anywhere in Europe. So I am still definitely learning and why I need this group. I may not add much, because I don't KNOW much! I hope no one really minds if I am a lurker.

And so another lurker becomes a poster....my name is Leslie-Anne (yikes, no one actually calls me that) and I'm officially joining after years of poking around on this and other sites anonymously. I'm a self-professed foodie in the sense that I love to eat, cook, shop for groceries, watch food prep, smell food prep, talk about food and cooking and eating, learn about food, etc. I don't care whether it's high end or hole in the wall, just as long as it tastes good on the lips. My parents grew up in families that served gray roast beef and purple "coq au vin" and used those experiences as motivation to learn to cook. Now the food they make at home is better than any restaurant available to them in Tennessee. Lucky for me, I got to eat that every night growing up and now see cooking and eating well (aw heck, throw in a good bottle of wine there too) as the most natural thing in the world....I am looking forward to reading your perspectives and sharing some of my own...

A table!!

:) First Post ever....

Hello to all. A brief introduction- I'm Kathryn Hull- recent addition to the staff at Corduroy. I am interested in learning more about this city through other people that work at other restaurants. A " dining tour guide " of sorts, I am in search for- the more the merrier. Anyone interested in filling this position or at least giving me some direction is well appreciated. It seems that HH at FF is the place to go to get started- but any other suggestions I would love as well.

Hi, my name is Marie Drissel, family lived in DC itself since before the Civil War. Married 31 yrs--told my husband to be I was a great cook--but at our wedding reception my entire office stood up and told him that each on the dishes he had eaten at my apartment like Beef Wellington was cooked by one of them. I started with Indian cooking lessons immediately. Today we are over the top foodies--cooking almost every night even though we have very busy schedules. We generally do not eat out because of disappointments. But this web page will help us with the truth. Tonight we are going to Massa Gallerie for a 7:40 movie. We need good tips for 7 PM reservations conveniently near.

Hi, my name is Marie Drissel, family lived in DC itself since before the Civil War. Married 31 yrs--told my husband to be I was a great cook--but at our wedding reception my entire office stood up and told him that each on the dishes he had eaten at my apartment like Beef Wellington was cooked by one of them. I started with Indian cooking lessons immediately. Today we are over the top foodies--cooking almost every night even though we have very busy schedules. We generally do not eat out because of disappointments. But this web page will help us with the truth. Tonight we are going to Massa Gallerie for a 7:40 movie. We need good tips for 7 PM reservations conveniently near.

Your subliminal hankering for Indian cuisine shines brightly ... Indique Heights, Masala Art?

Hi Everyone!

My name is Deb. I have posted on Chowhound for years and finally registered to post here. I am a culinary student getting ready to start the externship phase of my studies. This is a second career for me--I was in association and corporate management for 14 years. Very scary to start over. I am hoping to work for a chef who is willing to teach me. I promise to be worth your time investment!

Deb

Hi,

My name's Matt and I'm a student at AU. My interest in food and dining is newfound and recently I've been trying to build up my palate. I was a pretty picky eater when I was younger, so I'm afraid I'm way behind. Hopefully I can catch up quickly.

I went to AU because I was interested in politics, but recently I've found that politics are just an exercise in ego. Now I'm not really sure what to do with myself. Political Science isn't the most marketable degree, especially when you've already ruled out politics. Don't worry about me though, I'll figure something out. And fortunately there's more to DC than that big white domey building and that other white building with the columns.

-Matt Kabak

Hi,

My name's Matt and I'm a student at AU. My interest in food and dining is newfound and recently I've been trying to build up my palate. I was a pretty picky eater when I was younger, so I'm afraid I'm way behind. Hopefully I can catch up quickly.

I went to AU because I was interested in politics, but recently I've found that politics are just an exercise in ego. Now I'm not really sure what to do with myself. Political Science isn't the most marketable degree, especially when you've already ruled out politics. Don't worry about me though, I'll figure something out. And fortunately there's more to DC than that big white domey building and that other white building with the columns.

-Matt Kabak

Hey Matt.

Non food related reply---If you still have interest in working with political types, you might consider working in government affairs/advocacy for an association. In that type of job, you would be advocating on behalf of a cause on the Hill. Just an idea. I worked in associations for years and always thought the advocacy work was cool.

Best of luck.

Deb

Edited by DanielK
fixed quadruple spacing before Rocks goes off his meds

Hi, My name is Gene Laporta. I'm new to this site,but am looking forward to being a part of it. I was born and raised in Alexandria, Va. and have lived here for more than 50 years. I've seen this town go from a horrible restaurant town to a great one. The diversity of food here has become world class.

Teresa here. Another one joining after the Post article.

Went to Paradise Springs vineyard a couple of weeks ago. They only opened in January -- I was impressed by the wines. Turns out Chris Pearmund is the winemaker. (This may all be old hat -- I didn't even look to see if there was a thread about wineries!).

Anyway, followed the tasting with lunch at 2941. It was spectacular. I was disappointed by lunch there in the spring, and maybe my lowered expectations had something to do with it but it knocked my socks off -- and even more importantly, impressed my friend who was treating me. I started with butternut squash soup and just kept saying, "Mmmm, mmm," with each spoonful. Followed with crisp chicken with polenta logs and a "shaved" salad. Very luscious. And much more generous portions than I remember there.

On Saturday I took a friend to Redwood in Bethesda for a thank-you lunch. I'd never been but seem to have been reading in Tom Sietsema's chats that the place has gotten good. Well, I was underwhelmed. Had steak frites, so maybe I should have been more adventurous. The fries were good but the steak was ho-hum. My friend had salmon with squash hash and said it was good. Maybe part of it was, the place didn't feel as posh as I was expecting. I'd read it was such a beautiful place. Well, nice enough, but wish I had taken my friend to 2941 instead. Will be interesting to search on here about Redwood and see if I would have been steered away from it if I had only checked here first. :)

Teresa