Please Introduce Yourselves

curiouskitkatt

Its about time i introduced myself. I'm a DC guy, born and raised! (people look at me funny when i tell them that) I love this place and love whats been going on with the food scene here, especially since 1999. I try my best eat out wherever i can. I eat for fun (thats my twitter handle - @ieatforfun) and am by no means a food snob. I can give you a comprehensive rundown on the ups and downs of Mambo sauce and in the same breath wax on why I miss Maestro and why I was excited that Michael Mina would have a presence in DC when Bourbon Steak opened.

I write restaurant news for Examiner.com ( my most recent: http://www.examiner.com/dc-in-washington-dc/scott-drewno-wins-at-cochon555-dc-2011 ) and will soon (someday) have my fingers in a couple websites or blogs...

Any thing else anyone wants to know - reaach out to me!

KD

I'm Michelle, native Washingtonian, now in Maryland.

My first few jobs were in food service; Roy Rogers in Langley Park MD (now El Pollo Rico); a couple of long-gone sub shops, doughnut shops and the like in Rehoboth Beach. I much prefer dining to serving.

Roy Rogers? Do we go back as far as the Langley Park Hot Shoppe? Or Weile's? Leoni's? Plain and Fancy next to Comber's?

Hello! I'm Louisa and I'm interested in learning more about food. I'm an attorney, I live on Capitol hill and my young kids love food and food shows so I want to nurture their interest by taking them to great family friendly restaurants. For example, I love the way Matchbox pizza lets kids play with pizza dough at the table. Thanks!

Hi all --

Hope I'm doing this right. My name's Ben, and I have little if any experience in the industry (except for 3 months as a waiter in the old Houlihan's in Friendship Heights), but my wife and I and our toddlers love to eat, especially Asian food! Thanks,

-ben

Hi, I'm Nikki, I grew up in the area (yes, I remember the Hot Shoppes in Langley Park and Wheaton Plaza, as well as Giffords at Georgia and Sligo), moved away for 10+ years, and have recently returned. Currently in Greenbelt, and I am pleased to find some good Korean/Vietnamese/Peruvian chicken options nearby in Beltsville. I am planning to work my way through all the asian options from Wheaton to Bowie.

Hello everyone! I just learned about this list and I was really excited to join. I've been in DC for 15 years and I'm addicted to good food. I love finding new, excellent restaurants and really love supporting the DC food scene. I live in Shaw near Blagden Alley. If anyone wants to get together for a drink and talk about DC's food scene I'm always up for it.

-Steve Goldenberg

I'm Karen, and I have never posted on this board or any other board before. Some Foodie Folks that we met at a holiday party this past December suggested that we check out DR.

My husband and I are originally from NYC and are big time food fans, coffee fans, and so on. We can’t wait to out to the Farmers' Markets and get our hands on some great local produce!

We are hoping to learn about all the great places serving superior meals in and around the DC Metro area from DR.

Hi everyone. I'm Zoe... not in the food industry, but an enthusiastic eater. Just returned from Hanoi, where I highly recommend for all things food. The favorite was Madame Hien in the French Quarter - 15 Chan Cam, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi.

Hi Everyone!

My name is Simon. I moved to the area about 1 1/2 years ago, I work in Bethesda and live in Rosslyn.

I'm not involved in the food industry, I just love to eat and drink.

While I love to try new places, I'm lazy and I'm always trying to fight my tendency to just end up at the same place again and again, ordering escargot, steak, and fries. (When I lived in Texas, my tendency was towards tex-mex.) DC seems to have a great variety, my yelp bookmarks are up to about 250, even though I've been to only a small fraction of those places.

I like to cook, too, but I'm average at it. I love wine (as well as beer) but would love to know more about pairing. Right now, I mainly like wines in an absolute sense, regardless of what I'm eating.

I look forward to reading and posting!

Simon

Welcome to all our new members! One of our 'signature' DR events - the spring picnic - is coming up in the next month or two, so please take a minute to vote for your preferred date(s). The poll (and thread) are found here.

And then start thinking about what you'll bring :) The picnic is always a lot of fun and a great way to meet other members - so plan to join us!

I'm Bob B., originally from Los Angeles, now a resident of Northern Virginia since 1989. I use the name "shortorder" because that's how I cook for my family--quick and simple, and often individual. I have been a longtime lurker on Chowhound. My immediate family are not really interested in "new" or "interesting" in food, so my restaurant visits are usually with others, including some of my friends from Chowhound. I was inspired to join DR so I could post about a recent meal at Lyon Hall.

Hello, my name is Lee. I signed on after reading some questions on the site about people wanting chestnut liqueur recipes. I have a chestnut orchard and have developed a chestnut liqueur that should be in production by a state licensened distillery by the end of the year, hopefully before the holidays. It will stand up to anything made in Europe. I'll keep you posted as things progress under the beer and wine thread.

Trailsend

Hi, everyone. My name is Julie. I'm super late in introducing myself. I actually signed up back in July of last year, but kept forgetting to make a post. It's extremely rare for me to post on message boards, actually. I'm definitely more of a lurker. I feel kinda too shy to post, I guess.

Anyway, I've been living in MD my whole life. I have absolutely no ties to the food industry whatsoever. I just love food. Period. B)

I first came across this forum when I was doing a google search on some local froyo place, I think? I can't remember exactly why. I think maybe I was looking for more information about a place that recently opened or something. Anyway, after reading through the forums, I really liked what I saw and signed up immediately. I'd really like to learn more about nice dining areas in the DC area, especially for large groups. I actually don't dine out very often, but I love hearing about great spots in the area.

Alright, time to resume browsing these boards! :D

Hi, my name is Jane, I'm not in the food industry....yet. I moved to DC last summer due to boyfriend's job transfer. I work a regular 9-5 job near Farragut Square, but have been thinking of transitioning to a culinary career as I love cooking, entertaining, dining out, talking about food, reading about food, and so on.

At this point, I need to get some solid weekend restaurant work experience before making the big jump into a culinary career. I did a one day stage (trail?) at a restaurant in Tysons Corner and loved it; the trick now is getting restaurant work (either unpaid or paid) near my home in Dupont Circle (I didn't bring my car to DC). So I'm looking at you, Cork Wine Bar and Birch & Barley, or other similar restaurants nearby, for some weekend work; I am happy to start as a runner and move up.

Thanks,

Jane

Hi, my name is Jane, I'm not in the food industry....yet. I moved to DC last summer due to boyfriend's job transfer. I work a regular 9-5 job near Farragut Square, but have been thinking of transitioning to a culinary career as I love cooking, entertaining, dining out, talking about food, reading about food, and so on.

At this point, I need to get some solid weekend restaurant work experience before making the big jump into a culinary career. I did a one day stage (trail?) at a restaurant in Tysons Corner and loved it; the trick now is getting restaurant work (either unpaid or paid) near my home in Dupont Circle (I didn't bring my car to DC). So I'm looking at you, Cork Wine Bar and Birch & Barley, or other similar restaurants nearby, for some weekend work; I am happy to start as a runner and move up.

Thanks,

Jane

Hey Jane -- definitely post what you're looking for in the Jobs and Employment forum -- you'll catch the eye of more industry folks there. And welcome! B)

Hey Jane -- definitely post what you're looking for in the Jobs and Employment forum -- you'll catch the eye of more industry folks there. And welcome! B)

ok, thanks Leigh, I will take your advice and do so. Thanks again for pointing me here. Should we add a cute male bartender alert topic, or would that go against the feel of the site?

ok, thanks Leigh, I will take your advice and do so. Thanks again for pointing me here. Should we add a cute male bartender alert topic, or would that go against the feel of the site?

Equal opportunity -- cute male and female? But let us not objectify our mixologists; nay, let us not to the marriage of true liquors admit impediments... B)

Equal opportunity -- cute male and female? But let us not objectify our mixologists; nay, let us not to the marriage of true liquors admit impediments... :D

Don't do cute female. I don't want anything on this website that could possibly be construed as insensitive or derogatory to women, who are much more fragile than men and tend to get their panties in a huff about things such as this.

Happy Sixth Anniversary, donrockwell.com members!

(And here's a blast from the eGullet past.) B)

I have lived in the DC metro since August 2001. I am a originally from California and after graduating from Berkeley went to the Culinary institute of America in Hyde Park. Since Graduation, I have worked in a very wide range of roles in Culinary and Hospitality. Winery Manager in the Hudson Valley, Pastry Chef and Executive Chef in Madison Wisconsin, Organic Farm intern, Cooking Class instructor, and working chef at DC restaurants such as Galile...ugh, The Willard, and the Inn at Little Washington. Also throw in some time as a Private Chef for a wealthy DC Family, A UMD Smith School MBA, and consulting gigs for an early DC street food start-up (On The Fly) and government food service contractor. Currently I am the Dean of Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management at Stratford University.

Favorite DC Restaurants:

Komi (ever since they were serving a standard a la carte menu, just after Vivo shut down).

Blue Duck Tavern

Amsterdam Fallafel

Further Afield:

Ashby Inn (or anywhere/anything Tarver King cooks)

Foti's in Culpeper

Matt (my son) has twice gone to Kids in the Kitchen culinary camp with Chef Gordon, and it has been wonderful! What a great program you have.

Glad to hear it. This summer we are having a similar program for high school aged students (15-18). I'll post some info to the blog early next week with details.

Hello everyone,

Shawn here this is my first post. A little background info on me... I've been in the restaurant industry for approx. 17 years, currently a private chef doing small parties (max of 12). Having a pig roast today at my house!!! not sure where I should post the pictures of the pig. Guidance and direction here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Shawn here this is my first post. A little background info on me... I've been in the restaurant industry for approx. 17 years, currently a private chef doing small parties (max of 12). Having a pig roast today at my house!!! not sure where I should post the pictures of the pig. Guidance and direction here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome! I would suggest that you post the pig pics in the Dinner thread (unless there's another more appropos place). Would love to see it.

Hello everyone, this is my first post and introduction. My name is Summer, I'm a trained chef/pastry, food and wine educator, and food, wine, culture, travel writer. I ghost write books for others, but my latest book is Join Us At the Embassy, a cultural guide and culinary travelogue that features food/wine/culture/travel from ten countries as seen through the eyes of their ambassadors here in DC.

Hope to meet some fellow foodies and wine lovers.

B)

Hi there,

My name is Scott, and I'm Don & Leigh's web designer. Specifically, I designed DCDining.com and put up Don's blog as well. I met Don through Leigh, whom I met through twitter (she tweeted something witty a year and a half ago and was intrigued enough to follow her).

Don & Leigh have been hounding me a bit to join up here and be part of your wonderful community, and despite the fact that I'm by no means an expert on food (unless you count being overweight an expert, in which case I'm Mensa) I finally gave in and joined. I have eaten at Volt and loved it, my favorite food in the world is steamed Maryland Blue Crabs (I'm a native Marylander), and I brew my own beer with my friend Brian (actually brew - not use those silly, low-class kits you buy at stores).

I'm a huge Trekkie, I love gadgets & technology (especially all things Apple), and enjoy playing guitar & bass. I'm also an avid writer and have been sitting on a novel for a few years (I'm chickensh*t to shop it around).

Professionally, I've been a Web & UI Designer / Usability / Accessibility guru for 14 years, and have designed websites for several major federal agencies such as HHS, DOEnergy, and the US Army, as well as private institutions such as Sallie Mae and MDIPA. My first major claim to fame was that I was a co-designer of the Weatherbug Desktop Application back in 1999/2000.

So uh. Hi. B)

I'm Bill Adler, a former New Yorker (born and raised in Manhattan), but a happy, transplanted Washingtonian. I'm writer by profession, and an avid eater. I find every restaurant experience a good one, even when things don't work out the way I expected them, too. After all, eating is an adventure. My wife and I publish the Cleveland Park Listserv, which is the DC's largest neighborhood email list.

Hello All,

My name is Mark and I have worked, owned and enjoyed DC's restaurant scene since 1993. Think the world of DR but just didn't get around to signing up(sorry Don for my malfeasence). Not one for typing alot but will give it the old ivy league try. Look forward to particapating.

I'm Bill Adler, a former New Yorker (born and raised in Manhattan), but a happy, transplanted Washingtonian. I'm writer by profession, and an avid eater. I find every restaurant experience a good one, even when things don't work out the way I expected them, too. After all, eating is an adventure. My wife and I publish the Cleveland Park Listserv, which is the DC's largest neighborhood email list.

No way! THE Bill Adler? DR.com's star power never ceases to amaze me. And, hey, what's that lucious looking hot chocolate, latte type beverage behind which you're hiding in the cool photo?

Welcome!

d-star

Nice to meet everyone, albeit electronically. Looking forward to a long and rewarding online association. I'm Heidi J. Diamond, Partner, Taste of DC. My partner, Steuart Martens, and I are re-launching this heritage event that will take place October 8, 9 and 10, 2011, and will be held on the famed Pennsylvania Avenue from 12th Street to 3rd Street. We've just announced GROUPON as our Title Sponsor.

We're currently seeking corporate sponsorship and welcome any and all interest, thoughts, ideas and the like. Keen to work together with many in creating ideal brand building activations.

Coming soon: we'll be reaching out to secure restaurants wishing to participate in this heritage event. Looking forward to working together with all.

A bit of background about myself and Steuart. Steuart Martens is co-owner of Tradewinds Specialty Imports, specializing in wine from Spain and Argentina. He's also owner of On the Fly food trucks. Steuart has a long and illustrious career in the food, wine and hospitality industry. I'm former President, Television, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. I've served in many senior executive positions with cable networks including Food Network, AMC, We, FUSE, Channel One, Nickelodeon and Nickelodeon, UK.

Keen to get to know many! Tastefully yours, Heidi J. Diamond (heidi@thetasteofdc.org; 202 618 FOOD (3663)).

Hello everyone, I'm Laudon. Just moved here May 1st from Seattle. My wife Christine and I dine out a lot and I came across this stie looking for a great site to discuss the local food scene.

Our last hurrah in Seattle was to hit as many participants in Seattle Restaurant Week as we could before leaving. If you ever need Seattle recommendations, reach out!

-Laudon

I'm Barbara and am a new member. Wasn't a real serious foodie until my son became a chef and now I hate to admit it but I am a food snob. Hard not to be when my Mother's Day dinner (made by said Chef) was lamb osso bucco which was amazing. Live in Arlington and have been in the area for 23 years.

Welcome to our new members!

Just a reminder that you are all most welcome (and encouraged) to attend the next DR.com picnic coming up on Sunday, May 22. More details here. Bring your favorite dish, grab something from your local market, pick up a 6-pack or a bottle of wine - just come on out and meet some other members of the board. We're a friendly bunch, so don't be shy B)

Hi,

I've lurked on this site off and on for a while, but thought it was time to join. I grew up in New England but have lived in DC for about 20 years-- long enough to enjoy what I can find here and stop looking so hard for the things New England does better (although I admit Jeff Heineman's new venture in Bethesda has my hopes up again).

Looking forward to participating a little more,

David

Hi, I've been reading the site for awhile, but never joined. I'm Sarah Boyce, this is my third year in DC, and I'm not in any way in the industry. I love trying out the bars and restaurants in the city - current favorites are probably Churchkey/Birch and Barley and The Passenger. Currently saving up for Komi.

Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts. Just today, I've already felt vindicated about my opinion of We, the Pizza.

Hi. My name is Wendy and i live in Arlington -- since 1974. Grew up in Manhattan. Years ago, I had a friend who said that she never wanted to go back over the bridge to the city after she got home from work, but that meant very few choices in NoVA for food. All that has changed, but there are still lots of places in NoVA where there is a paucity of good choices. I am enjoying watching Lee Hwy start to have some ethnicty in its restaurant offerings so would love to share on this site what I learn and learn from others. For example, has anyone yet tried the new Indian "Deshi Spice" that opened this week in the old Yorktown Bistro site?

Hi!

I attended the picnic this week at the insistence of Kate M., and had a great time. Previously, I'd limited my activities to lurking and checking out the restaurant reviews B)

About me: I'm old (28), crotchety (at least until I can figure out how to fix my profile pic), and I live in Del Ray (incidentally, I'm looking for a roommate). I can cook well enough, and I spend basically all of my discretionary income on food. I like to eat in places with questionable food safety standards. I will drink all your Scotch at the first opportunity.

Regarding my connection to the industry, I'm a shareholder in Cajun Experience, which just recently opened a new sub-street level restaurant near Dupont.

I'm looking forward to participating more at DR!

Hello DonRockwell.com,

I am just a guy who loves to eat. Looking forward to sharing in your bounty.

I have lived in the DC area my whole life, mostly the MD suburbs. I am married and have two college aged daughters. I live in Boyds on a beautiful 580 acre lake and make the occasional expedition into the city for a meal.

Woot4Fun

Hi, I'm Yvonne (not that you'd guess from my username).

Currently live and work in Bethesda (work 16 months, live 9 months). Previously, I was in Annandale.

Have lived in DC area around three years. 20 years in Santa Fe before that. Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Hackensack NJ earlier.

Currently a web developer, with various other industries in previous work lives.

Have not worked in food/hospitality, other than a brief stint at Subway, where I was known for timing cookie baking well enough to double sales on my shifts (silly people who don't know that if they look done, they'll be hard, not soft and tempting).