Wine in a Can

Here me out before the gallery starts pelting rocks at me,  or revoke my Don Rockwell member card that must have got lost in the mail. Wine in a can will be the buzz in 2018. Curb your snobbery about wine in a can and review this bit. I am a fan. I welcome unpretentious dining & wining for the new year. I hope 2018 brings change in how we think about food and beverage, and return to the goodness of simplicity.  The thought that I can bring a six pack of pinot along with a six pack of brewskies to the next DR picnic makes me as giddy as a high school girl. Try it, and report back on your thoughts. I am curious on everyone's take. 

Wine key not needed,

kat

I have bought but not consumed a few cans of wine.  Very specific use cases.

Cooler by my pool- Glass is to be avoided at all costs in pool and surrounding deck.

Boat-Easy to pack a few cans of wine with the cans of beer for picnic on the boat.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2018 at 12:13 PM, MarkS said:

I have bought but not consumed a few cans of wine.  Very specific use cases.

Cooler by my pool- Glass is to be avoided at all costs in pool and surrounding deck.

I agree 100 %. Wine in a can has a purpose, and will never replace the fine stuff that we savor in a bottle, but for picnics, and boat outings its fits the occasion. I actually bought Underwood Pinot Noir and was absolutely speechless on how good it was. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Drink wine straight out of the can is absolutely called for in this instance. I dig it. 

On 1/5/2018 at 1:32 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

I agree 100 %. Wine in a can has a purpose, and will never replace the fine stuff that we savor in a bottle, but for picnics, and boat outings its fits the occasion. I actually bought Underwood Pinot Noir and was absolutely speechless on how good it was. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Drink wine straight out of the can is absolutely called for in this instance. I dig it. 

I'm currently drinking a can of Underwood Rose and I have to say I'd buy this again. It's a casual sipper, but hits at or above its weight for about $12 a bottle equivalent. Plus - you're drinking wine from a can.  Seriously - I'd rate this among the better wines I can find for that price.

• Like 2

Similarly, there are also "adult juice boxes" of wine. I haven't indulged myself but know of several folks whom have enjoyed them for what they are. And note that, just like cans, they are very convenient and discreet for uses such as movie-going, picnics in public areas, getting around glass container prohibitions, etc.  Some quick links:

PopSugar likes 'em

Wine Enthusiast acknowledges their existence and then has a list

Paste Magazine has a list of boxed wines they like and

Wine Spectator has a list of best boxed and canned wines

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sundae in the Park said:

Similarly, there are also "adult juice boxes" of wine. I haven't indulged myself but know of several folks whom have enjoyed them for what they are. And note that, just like cans, they are very convenient and discreet for uses such as movie-going, picnics in public areas, getting around glass container prohibitions, etc.  Some quick links:

PopSugar likes 'em

I'm scandalized at the thought that I share a forum with someone who might smuggle wine into a movie theater. 😀

That said, I think cans will gain acceptance like screw caps, slowly. From an environmental standpoint they are superior to bottles.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sundae in the Park said:

PopSugar likes 'em

Boxed wines are extensively used in restaurant sangrias across the region.

I've probably mentioned this before, but anyway: 

There are villages (many villages) in France that sell wine, but not in bottles; straight from casks. People come into the shop with empty bottles of Evian, and fill them up straight from the cask - you pay by the liter. A Cotes du Rhone might be $4, a Bordeaux might be $6, a Languedoc might be $3, a Beaujolais might be $2.50, a Beaujolais Village might be $4 - there are never any brand names; just types of wine. I think it's awesome.

• Like 1

When I was in Chianti a few years back workers would fill their jig of wine to consume with lunch before taking their 2 hour nap.  Possibly redefines cheap wine.

I was just cruising last week in the Bahamas and I wished we could find boxed wine as bottles were heavy and over priced.  Oh well, captive audience.

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I've probably mentioned this before, but anyway: 

There are villages (many villages) in France that sell wine, but not in bottles; straight from casks. People come into the shop with empty bottles of Evian, and fill them up straight from the cask - you pay by the liter. A Cotes du Rhone might be $4, a Bordeaux might be $6, a Languedoc might be $3, a Beaujolais might be $2.50, a Beaujolais Village might be $4 - there are never any brand names; just types of wine. I think it's awesome.

I saw such a system in a supermarché in Saint-Gaudens, bring your own container and pay the (very reasonable to a tourist) going rate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcs said:

For Connoisseurs and Joe Sixpack, Canned Wines Beckon, by Eric Asimov, May 6, 2019, on nytimes.com.

I can't help but feel validated . If its wine-in-a -can is good enough to be served by the hands of Thomas Keller, as well as Nomad, its safe to say that it has arrived. I also believe the future of beverages, all together, will be easily portable. The wave of cocktails packaged in a can is  gaining momentum. 

I just bought Scarpetta Frico Frizzante last weekend after tasting it at the beer and wine store.  I don't think it would compete with a nice bottle of champagne, but I think it definitely competes with an affordable prosecco or sparkling wine, but the chilled can of 8oz of wine is just super dangerous for me-  I can see drinking too many of those.  So of course  I bought a box for the pool/boat.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, Mark Slater said:

Everyone is selling can wines now. Regular 12oz. Cans are a half bottle.  Now they are marketing 8oz cans.

8oz/250ml cans the most popular size for wine, are "technically illegal" for wine, but not malt beverages. They violate TTB regulations rather than statute.
250ml is not an approved "Standard of Fill" by the TTB for wine,