Bruegger's Bagels, a Vermont-Based Chain Acquired by Caribou Coffee - All Stores Closing Dec 10

I'm a little surprised we don't have a thread on Bruegger's, although there is scattered conversation about it here and there in other threads.

I had a Sesame Bagel with Cream Cheese ($2.61 with tax, if I recall), and like usual, I found Bruegger's to be one of the best of the large chains (which does not include Goldberg's). It has drinkable coffee, and I prefer it to Einstein Bros (which also has drinkable coffee), and strongly prefer it to Chesapeake Bagel Bakery (whose bagels, to me, are more like torus-shaped rolls).

No, it's not great, and a purist wouldn't even think it was good, but in a carb-craving pinch, I've found myself in Bruegger's several times in the past, and haven't regretted it yet. I've never tried anything here other than bagels and coffee, but in general, I find what Bruegger's is to bagels to be something on a par with what Qdoba is to burritos. I also prefer the one in North Georgetown more than the couple of other locations I've tried, although I could have just hit them at a good moment (which is *easy* to do at bagel bakeries).

(All this said, I just put it in the Multiple Locations Dining Guide, spending a few minutes trying to figure out where to rank it under the "Bakeries" category, and I have it ranked pretty low, so I guess I don't like it *that* much.)

Not to nitpick, but isn't it Brueggers? Is that why a thread didn't come up when you searched?

I think they are better than Einstein bagels but not as good as the independent shop near us (Neal's). Definitely not as good as Goldbergs.

Yes, sorry, Bruegger's, not Breugger's (but still no thread). :)

For a chain bagelry, Bruegger's is very good. Much better than Einstein. They have a nice tangy cream cheese that I really like and their bagels are nice and chewy.

If you want a non-chain bagel and find yourself in the Fair Lakes area, Bagel Buddies is a good option.

Damning with faint praise.

:lol: It may come across as that but I do like Bruegger's -- I was a regular at their store in Kenmore Sq in Boston many years ago and then even more of a regular at their store in Franklin Farm in VA before a franchisee dispute wiped that place out -- and I do not like Einstein's at all.

Manhattan Bagel also blows, as does Chesapeake.Au Bon Pain's bagels are some of the worst things they offer; Panera's suck as well. Dunkin Donuts, incredibly, has decent bagels.

Don't know and don't care whether it's "authentic", but Bruegger's Honey Grain bagel is delicious. I get it to go. Get it extra toasted at home, and then apply a small amount of cream cheese. (The worst thing about most bagel places is the gallon of cream cheese they'll put on a standard bagel... a point I think Don has made in the past.)

Don't know and don't care whether it's "authentic", but Bruegger's Honey Grain bagel is delicious. I get it to go. Get it extra toasted at home, and then apply a small amount of cream cheese. (The worst thing about most bagel places is the gallon of cream cheese they'll put on a standard bagel... a point I think Don has made in the past.)

Just to put it on record, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good 'Roll With a Hole.' Not a bagel. But if it's good, that's all that matters.

Brueggers has one of the best cream cheese selections in the area, in particular the jalepeno (genuinely spicy) and the light herb garlic, which has a lot of flavor, especially for a "light" cream cheese (which is confined in many places to just plan and veggie).

All three chains blow, so it would not surprise me in the least if they were all under common ownership.

Bruegger's is by far the best bagel chain. Too bad they are basically out of the DC area.

Not entirely true. There are three in Northwest DC. Unfortunately, bagels fell victim to the low carb/high protein diet trend of the early 2000s. Those that are left are the result of Darwinian Capitalism- only the best product or best run or best backed financially have survived. No one of the three factors being necessary or specific for survival. Thus, you have a proliferation of mediocre corporate bagels and a few mom and pops that satisfy those in need of a schmear for both cultural and psychological reasons.

• Like 1

Not entirely true. There are three in Northwest DC. Unfortunately, bagels fell victim to the low carb/high protein diet trend of the early 2000s. Those that are left are the result of Darwinian Capitalism- only the best product or best run or best backed financially have survived. No one of the three factors being necessary or specific for survival. Thus, you have a proliferation of mediocre corporate bagels and a few mom and pops that satisfy those in need of a schmear for both cultural and psychological reasons.

"Three in Northwest DC" sounds like basically out of the area to me. :lol:

We had a great Bruegger's in Chantilly (Franklin Farm) years ago. It and several others closed due to a franchisee-franchisor dispute (that's never happened in other chains, right?). Most of those locations became Zi Pani, a mediocre bakery chain that is now pretty much defunct, I think. The one we used to go to is now a...hold your breath...Starbucks.

I got to know Bruegger's from my Boston days. I really like their tangy cream cheeses.

"Three in Northwest DC" sounds like basically out of the area to me. :lol:

We had a great Bruegger's in Chantilly (Franklin Farm) years ago. It and several others closed due to a franchisee-franchisor dispute (that's never happened in other chains, right?). Most of those locations became Zi Pani, a mediocre bakery chain that is now pretty much defunct, I think. The one we used to go to is now a...hold your breath...Starbucks.

I got to know Bruegger's from my Boston days. I really like their tangy cream cheeses.

FWIW, there is also a Bruegger's in Ballston, basically at the corner of Wilson Blvd and, I think, Quincy St.

I find Bruegger's "bottomless mug of coffee" to be an annual temptation, but I can never make the math work out even when my commute passes by one directly. I think you have to work next door and visit both morning and afternoon...

After being open less than three years (Nov 21, 2011), the Bruegger's Bagels in The Shops at West Falls Church (7393D Lee Highway) closed during the weekend of Sep 13, 2014.

There are still 5 area locations: 3 in DC (505 9th St. NW (Penn Quarter), 2101 L St. NW (Downtown), 2334 Wisconsin Ave. NW (Glover Park)), and 2 in VA (606 King St. (Old Town) and 818 N. Quincy St. (Liberty Center in North Arlington)).

I had never been to a Bruegger's Bagels before, and I tried the Ballston location about three weeks ago. It was terrible. Although it was several hours from closing time, they had a very limited selection of bagels. I asked for the freshest batch, and the ones I bought were small, hard and tasted like they had sat out for hours. I didn't complain, but the gentleman at the cash register didn't charge me for them. He asked that I fill out a customer satisfaction survey online, which I did. They were closing an hour early that day for a staff meeting.