Firehook Bakery and Coffeehouse - Wholesale and Retail in Multiple Area Locations

About a week ago I followed signs leading me to Firehook Bakery, in a very odd, industrial location on Flint Lee Road off Lee Road in Chantilly (across from Chantilly Crossing, home of Target and Costco). Having seen Firehook in DC, but not being close enough to try it, I was intrigued.

Given that the most prominent bakeries out here are in supermarkets or wholesale clubs, I find this to be a great addition to the neighborhood. I tried a loaf of the pumpkin cranberry bread. Quite delicious. Many of the other offerings also looked good (example: Danish with fresh fruit instead of neon gop).

Also, they are giving a free cup of coffee with each purchase, and the coffee is fantastic. Next time I'm in there I'm going to buy a bag of beans.

In short, good news for us hicks.

Maybe it was just the King St location and that they were mobbed pre-Scottish Christmas Walk, but they did not have soy or almond milk available.  Who doesn't have that these days?  Got hubby one of their sausage, egg and cheese croissants so he had something to eat before he had to drive people around in the parade.  

The owner of the Cleveland Park gift store Wake Up Little Suzie has announced her retirement on the CP List serve and mentioned that "Pierre Abushacra and the Firehook Bakery team will be starting a new business unique to Cleveland Park in my space". 

No other details were given...so TBD?

The owner of the Cleveland Park gift store Wake Up Little Suzie has announced her retirement on the CP List serve and mentioned that "Pierre Abushacra and the Firehook Bakery team will be starting a new business unique to Cleveland Park in my space". 

No other details were given...so TBD?

I remember the good ole days when pre-Firehook there was Roma restaurant.  They had the best pizza and you could eat it in their grapevine-draped garden.

• Like 1

The garden and patio is still there along with the grapevines.  I'm not a huge fan of the CP Firehook (although their recent facelift helps) but sitting out on that patio on a nice sunny day and catching up with a friend ain't a bad way to spend an hour or so.     

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

The garden and patio is still there along with the grapevines.   

Wow.  That was a great place for eating pasta or pizza and getting loaded on a nice day.  Nice job on retaining the environment.

I remember that Roma patio fondly with the shade and the grape arbor.  I worked in that area for many years and looked forward to that lunchtime oasis for good pizza and a break from work.  We still went after it converted to Firehook but the food was never as good as Roma.  Patio still nice then though.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:59 AM, Mark Slater said:

Something is wrong with that neighborhood. What are the landlords thinking? During a pandemic, is rent gouging really a strategy? This is the neighborhood that couldn't even support a McDonald;'s , despite the large number of subsidized residents. 

While I will agree there is something wrong with the neighborhood, it appears there is more to the Firehook closure.  The Abbo family, who ran Roma for many years, own the properties that includes Firehook.  With the recent death of Abbo family members, the family Trust has taken control of the properties and under the rules of the trust the properties will be put up for sale.  Presumably the trust is liquidating its assets, which is not uncommon.  So, unfortunate for Firehook, and it appears 5 properties along the Cleveland Park strip will be soon up for sale.