Eola, West Dupont Circle - Chef Dan Singhofen's Offal Tasting Menus :-) on 20th and P Streets - Closed Aug 31, 2013

Been here twice recently and tried items on the regular and offal menus. Still kicking myself for not getting up the nerve to try brains on the first go. This place is quickly moving up my list of places to return to with greater frequency. Really good stuff here.

• Like 1

Terrific meal last night! Other posts do the breakdown better than I ever could, so I won't. My wife chose the vegetarian menu and exclaimed that the stuffed cabbage main dish might have been the single best plate of food she's ever had. The staff was friendly, attentive and very knowledeable; the setting was subtle and comfortable. It all made for a very memorable experience capped by a walk back to the Fairfax in the POURING rain. Yes, eating there made a walk in the warm rain a fun thing, we even put down our umbrellas half way and just got soaked....cause it didn't matter, we just had this fabulous meal...

First visit to Eola last night. They are tasting menu only with three choices for each of four courses plus several amuse. At $75 I thought the tasting menu was a pretty good deal given the quality and originality of what was provided. As this was a business dinner, I didn't take photos. Our menu was fairly close to the web site version with the pork being replaced by a very nice duck breast which three of the four of us ordered. Service was excellent and pacing was spot on. If there's a weakness here it was in the wine pairings. At $45 for half a glass of sparkling wine and four very small pours, I think ordering a bottle or two from the wine list might be a better way to go. None of the wines were necessarily bad on their own, but they didn't seem to enhance the food in any way, and in one instance, probably detracted.

Note for anyone unfamiliar with the space, the restaurant has a fairly decent set of steps up to the front door and the restrooms are on the second floor. A little painful for someone nursing a sprained knee (yes, I was that gal you saw falling down the escalator at Union Station last week...thanks for clapping :wacko: ), but probably not accessible for anyone with a significant disability.

I made a reservation for my next visit on my way out the door!

(yes, I was that gal you saw falling down the escalator at Union Station last week...thanks for clapping :wacko: ),

I hope your knee is on the mend, but it could have been worse, last Friday at Daikaya a woman walked nose first into the front glass wall and oddly enough she was walking with Daisuke at the time - at least no one clapped.

My wife and I had a great meal there a couple years ago.  I go the offal meal and she got the regular tasting meal.  Both were winners.

I always thought (to myself) that the name was weird and turned people off...........Eola sounds like Ebola and no one wants to eat at a place that sounds like hemorrhagic fever!

Sad to see it go.  It was a very nice/cool/hip space.

Also sad to hear this; I had a fine birthday meal there last year and I loved the feel of the place. I have wondered if they were at all hampered by being almost across the street from Obelisk, perhaps the best-established prix-fixe restaurant in the city. Two such establishments within a block of one another probably didn't play to their advantage.

As the curtain drops on our final service I just wanted to say thank you to this community for your support over the last four years. I greatly appreciate your kindness. Though I'm sad to see Eola end, I'm exciting for what the future holds and hope to share whatever it may be with you all. Thank you.

-Daniel Singhofen

As the curtain drops on our final service I just wanted to say thank you to this community for your support over the last four years. I greatly appreciate your kindness. Though I'm sad to see Eola end, I'm exciting for what the future holds and hope to share whatever it may be with you all. Thank you.

-Daniel Singhofen

Daniel, different people will have different reasons to say "thank you." Personally, I'm going to say "Thank you for taking the risk," and I don't think I need to explain why.

Kind regards,

Rocks