Virginia Happy Hours

agm

It's great to see that the Friday happy hour tradition is reviving. However, for some of us home, the office, or both, are in Virginia and happy hour in the city just doesn't work very well. Is anyone interested in starting up regular - or even occasional - happy hours in Virginia? If so, do you have any suggested locations? Some of the likely spots may be a bit overcrowded on Friday evenings, but there have to be reasonable options. I'm thinking of the Clarendon / Ballston / Falls Church area, but maybe that's just because it works for me, so please suggest other ideas if you have them.

I have occasional Friday happy hours with my running club, but would attend others if they didn't overlap. I'm close to Old Town, Shirlington, and Del Ray, but I've driven as far as Dogfish Head Grill at Bailey's Crossroads for one.

Eventide has great bar food and draft and wine specials, so I definitely think they could be a good host for one evening?

+1 for Eventide...it gets busy a little bit later than some of the other places around town...it's usually not difficult to get a table in the lounge before 630ish...

I am robotic about showing absolutely no favoritism with reviews that I write, or with placements in the Dining Guide. Period.

But ...

In terms of Friday happy hours? I have no problem encouraging people to support establishments that have shown an active interest in this website. I won't mention any names, but there are several in the Courthouse / Clarendon area, any of which would be fine choices. (Seriously - I can't think of one that wouldn't be.)

Maybe Northside Social would host us for a soft opening happy hour? That would be fantastic : ) I of course love Liberty Tavern too, but the bar there is packed at all times of the evening, early or late. (Screwtop Wine Bar is also packed right now.) I would also love a happy hour at Mr. Landrum and Slater's wine bar when it opens. There are so many good options and more coming, it makes me happy to live and work in the area.

(Sorry it is 5:00, I am still at work and therefore and fixated with the idea of booze of any sort at the moment.)

I'm another District denizen who would happily head Virginia-ward for a happy hour. I work at Foggy Bottom and am Orange-line centric, so I'm in. ;)

Oh, but not for next week; ACC.10 Annual Scientific Sessions in Atlanta, baby. Yeah, that's right, you know you're all jealous of my spending five days herding cats into lectures about stents.

Two votes for Eventide, and a promise ;) that it's not too crowded early, all sounds good to me. How about next Friday, 3/12 at around 6:00?

When does their roof open?

Roof will open in early May.

If someone can shoot me a PM that Friday morning (or earlier, of course) with an approximate number of people that want to come in for happy hour, as long as you're no later than 6:00, I'll hold space for you all in the lounge.

I'm another District denizen who would happily head Virginia-ward for a happy hour.

Me too. I've really been wanting to try a number of restaurants out that way (Eventide, Liberty Tavern, and Willow in particular). I'm not sure about this Friday, but definitely at some point.

I'm in this Friday, probably with my Husband. Does someone want to keep count? I can if people want to PM me, but someone else can feel free to take that role if they want?

Well, I had assumed that as instigator the job would be mine, but if you're volunteering... ;)

NQD and I are in.

You can have the job back for the future. Ok Eventide this coming Friday aim for 5:30 (show up before 6). I can definitely make it earlier, as I am not in court that day.

agm- 2

FunnyJohn- 1

stickmoon- 2

leleboo- 1

and me for 2 so far...

Keep the replies coming!

You can have the job back for the future. Ok Eventide this coming Friday aim for 5:30 (show up before 6). I can definitely make it earlier, as I am not in court that day.

agm- 2

FunnyJohn- 1

stickmoon- 2

leleboo- 1

and me for 2 so far...

Keep the replies coming!

I'm going to try to make it, but can't guarantee due to work. It's just up the street from my house, but I've got to be in Ashburn that day, so it'll depend on how soon I can get out of there - assuming they don't send me up to Columbia!

agm- 2

FunnyJohn- 1

stickmoon- 2

leleboo- 1

and me for 2 so far...

Keep the replies coming!

I'm hoping to add a Mango to the Mix.

(won't know for sure 'til friday afternoon)

(but am optimistic)

Great turnout for our first Virginia happy hour, 15+ at last count. Also great drinks, and as for food, well, it's Eventide, so you know it doesn't exactly suck.

Thanks for coming out on a rainy night, everybody. For those who couldn't make it, we'll do this again soon.

A note to all NOVA restaurants / bars - we had a great time at Eventide and will certainly be back, but we also want to explore all of the various options Virginia has to offer. Would you be interested in hosting a dozen, maybe more, food and drink lovers on an early Friday evening? Or if you're already jammed on Fridays, perhaps another night? We're a mostly friendly and generally well-behaved bunch. Post here, or feel free to PM me.

Thanks for coming out on a rainy night, everybody. For those who couldn't make it, we'll do this again soon.

Where and when is the next one?

In addition to the Ballston-Clarendon-Courthouse-Orange Line corridor, there is also Old Town, with many options. Although a bit of a hike from the King Street Metro, The Majestic or Columbia Firehouse are interesting possibilities. Farther up into Alexandria there is Del Merei and the slightly cozier RT's across from the Birchmere. By the way, the Birchmere itself, bad food and all, won't charge for tickets if you just want to drink in the bar area. That means you can go to the bar when, say, The Average White Band or the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band is playing, listen to the music in the bar area, and drink away the evening....

I had fun last night! It was great to meet you all and put faces to names. Thanks Dave, Steve and the whole bar staff for being so welcoming.

The 19th doesn't work for me and Kim, unfortunately, but given last night's turnout, my guess is there will be even more DR Virginia happy hours in the works.

Restaurant 3 will be holding a couple of tables in the lounge for us on 3/19. Specifically, "the two high tops right under the big tv in the lounge."

A headcount would be very helpful, so if you're planning to come please post or PM me. But if you just show up Friday, we'll squeeze you in :-)

Next up, maybe something not on the Orange Line corridor?

Wanted to add the thanks for everyone coming out. Matt and I had a great evening and enjoyed meeting many more DRians. We can't make 3/19 (we will be happy houring at the Greenbrier instead) but have a great time and drink some good brews! Thank you to Eventide for treating us very well.

I'd like to thank Dave and Steve as well. Some of the food I got to try this past Friday (my first visit to Eventide) left me underwhelmed, but Steve and his drinks were great: the Oaxacan Pineapple was delicious, as was the Thomas' Jefferson's Tavern Ale that he introduced me to, and I will definitely be back if only for some good conversation over a few more of his creations and brews on offer. Plus I'm still curious to experience Eventide's dining room, so hopefully I'll get on that some time soon.

As always, it was also great to put some more names and faces to login names. The company was great, and I'm looking forward to plenty more happy hours in the future (though most likely not the one on 3/19).

Scheduling the second happy hour one week after the first may have been pushing it a bit. I thought it might be too soon, but I was thrilled by the great turnout last week and wanted to capture that interest. Right now, that's not looking so good.

As of this morning we have three people committed. Last-minute drop-ins are always welcome, of course, but with such a small group I can't ask Restaurant 3 to hold tables for us. So, if you're planning to come, or think it's likely you'll be there, please let me know - otherwise, I'll give them their tables back.

Reserved tables or not, some of us will still be there, so join us at Restaurant 3 in Clarendon around 5:30 or so this Friday.

Restaurant 3

A headcount would be very helpful, so if you're planning to come please post or PM me. But if you just show up Friday, we'll squeeze you in :-)

Next up, maybe something not on the Orange Line corridor?

Bump....

Just a reminder, if you're in the area and want to stop by for a drink/eats - a few of us will be there around 5:30 today ;)