What's Good and Goes 'Splat'?!?

MrPorcupine

Hi. A coworker of mine just went through surgery, and is on a diet described by his doctor as a "splat" diet: if it goes splat when you throw it on the floor, he can eat it. (We will assume that it should go splat without undue force, as presumably anything will go splat given sufficiently high initial velocity...)

As such, I'm wondering: what's the peak of gastronomy for one on a nearly-liquid-food diet?

Have any of you been on such a diet and care to share any clever ideas?

Right now he's probably too drugged up to care much but I'm guessing by Week Two he's gonna be desperate for something different!

Almost anything eggs will work. Also, dumplings - as in chicken and, but hold the actual chicken, along those lines I think gnocchi might work. There are also a universe of soups available, not just broth, but even a bean puree, split pea, or Pappa al Pomodoro for a warming hearty meal.

Okay plain congee

or:

Potato & Leek Soup

Quick grits prepared with cream and or homemade stock (cheez and/or ham as tummy/testines permit)

Jellied consumme

Banana or bread pudding or chocolate mousse with a gigantic batch of creme anglais

Pike quenelles with lobster sauce from La Chaumiere

My Mom was always in favor of a split of slightly over the hill Champagne when I had stomach issues. For me of course :) .

Just went through this with my husband after his gum surgery. After a day or two, a variety of purees and soups really paled and he wanted something that approximated texture -- so I started making crustless quiches and similar egg- enriched baked purees/souffles. Risottos worked well.

A relative of mine was on a diet of cold smooth purees with nothing acidic during and just after chemo treatment for throat cancer. During my visit home, I made cold soups for him: asparagus, leek and potato, zucchini and potato, corn chowder, butternut squash, carrot (most made with homemade chicken stock and a splash of cream) all which provided some savory variety to the milk shakes and ice cream he had been subsisting on.

Cheese grits. White beans and kale w/ shredded country ham. Brunswick Stew. Pulled Carolina pork. Mashed sweet potatoes. Smothered pork chops and mashed potatoes. Slow cooked green beans with bacon and shredded country ham. Blackeyed peas with stewed tomatoes and hamhocks. Braised short ribs and pan gravy ladled over the aforementioned cheese grits.

Hell, minus her fried chicken, which had an appropriate crunch, basically everything my grandmother cooked, and most of my repertoire, goes "splat." This ain't a diet, it's a slice of Piedmont heaven. Oh yeah, and speaking of slices, sweet potato pie w/ whipped cream.

Soul food will get your friend back to rosy good health.