Chateau Ste. Michelle

Washington State Riesling and "moist smokeless tobacco" go together like trailer parks and crack hos. I am so proud.

Note also (from that same link) the full roster of wineries they own:

Chateau Ste Michelle

Columbia Crest

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars

Conn Creek

Red Diamond

Snoqualmie

Spring Valley

Villa Mt Eden

Erath

Col Solare

Northstar

Villa Antinori

Tormaresca

Tignanello

Antica Napa Valley

Solaia

Santa Cristina

Haras di Pirque

La Bracessca

Montenisa

Hawk Crest

Fourteen Hands

Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte

Palmes d'Or

Domaine Ste Michelle

Just so you can make an informed choice ... click.

This has been my soapbox pet peeve for years. The average consumer knows none of this, and when wine writers casually work Ste. Michelle into their recommendations, you have to wonder who paid them to say that. Chateau Ste. Michelle alone controls over 5,000 acres of vineyard in Washington State and produces way over a million cases of wine a year. The wine business has been subject to corporate conglomerization just as the food business has by ConAgra/Archer Daniels Midland/Nestlé etc.

This has been my soapbox pet peeve for years. The average consumer knows none of this, and when wine writers casually work Ste. Michelle into their recommendations, you have to wonder who paid them to say that. Chateau Ste. Michelle alone controls over 5,000 acres of vineyard in Washington State and produces way over a million cases of wine a year. The wine business has been subject to corporate conglomerization just as the food business has by ConAgra/Archer Daniels Midland/Nestlé etc.

I suppose in some way it's similar to the huge insurance conglomerates, financial institutions and other MNCs that have had control over vast swathes of Bordeaux for decades. Ste Michelle is big, but it's also been around longer than just about anyone else in my home state. It's what first put Washington State wine on the map back when American wine was more or less equivalent to California wine.

Am I alone in thinking that Chateau Ste. Michelle and Domaine Ste. Michelle produce reasonably good wines for the price? No matter who owns them.

Nope. All native prejudice aside, Columbia Crest ain't bad either. And last I tasted Nicolas Feuillatte was quite respectable. In fact there are many fairly good wines on this list, which is why I made the point about Bordeaux. Ownership only says so much, and perhaps very little in some cases [<--- pun] about quality. If the terroir and methods are good, who cares about ownership? (Unless they're old Nazis in Argentina or something else morally objectionable.)

ETA: Is A Big Tobacco Company morally objectionable?

Am I alone in thinking that Chateau Ste. Michelle and Domaine Ste. Michelle produce reasonably good wines for the price? No matter who owns them.

No, you are not alone. They have partnered with Dr. Loosen to create "Saint M" Riesling, which you can get by the glass at Masa 14, and which Mrs. Waitman seemed to enjoy at my house. The Georgetown Safeway carries it. The sparkling Chateau Ste. Michelle was my defense against a neighbor who thought Cook's "champagne" was the only thing to drink. B)

Didn't Coca Cola buy Sterling winery years ago, and then end up selling it back to the original owners? Or am I disremembering...

Yes, but Coca-Cola did not sell back to the original owners, they sold to Seagram (now Diageo, as Vivendi<who bought Seagram/Universal> sold most of their wine/spirits holdings to Diageo in the early 2000s)....

There is a lot of Washington state wine that is exceptional and not corporately owned. I would start with Bergevin Lane http://www.bergevinlane.com/ and continue to Cayuse and K Vintners. Bionic Frog is a serious cult wine and K Vintners Old Bones garnered 99 points from Parker. Both are appropriately priced for scores like this... Still, that's 99 points for a Washington state wine. Points aside it's still an incedible pour. Did I mention Quilceda Creek or Leonetti? My wife and I went to Walla Walla in the late '90's. There were seven or eight wineries total. Today there are approximately 150. I'd suggest this is the "hottest" wine region on earth with exceptional wine at every price level. The Bergevin Lane I note above will discount if you are willing to syndicate your neighbors and buy three or more cases. Their $28 cabernet can be had for $19 by the case and I will make the serious argument it drinks like anybody else's $50 wine.

Joe, true there are many fine Washington wines that are not corporate owned. However, Don's original post, without saying so, implied that being corporate owned is a bad thing. Do I agree, probably, but then I don't normally drink those wines in the first place. However, as others have noted, these wines are fine for what they are, are easy to get, and are inexpensive. So they are exactly what 90+% of the wine buying public wants. More power to them, it leaves the other smaller productions wines to those of us who appreciate them and look for them.

When a winery makes 700 cases of a wine, you aren't going to find it at Trader Joe's. B)

Do you refuse to eat at a restaurant based on who their supplier is? Maybe yes, but for the vast majority of people, no.

By following the trail of corporate ownership, it can be shown the 3.7% of Don's thoughts on wine are actually written by advertising copywriters.

This is actually a surprisingly low number, even less than the influence of the drip, drip, drip of wine opinion from the Robert Parker publicity stalactite directly above Don's head.

By following the trail of corporate ownership, it can be shown the 3.7% of Don's thoughts on wine are actually written by advertising copywriters.

This is actually a surprisingly low number, even less than the influence of the drip, drip, drip of wine opinion from the Robert Parker publicity stalactite directly above Don's head.

:mellow: <like>