Need Recommendations For Final Meals

sstamour

Hi all. This is my first post, so forgive me if this is out of line on this forum. I've been a fairly regular lurker, but just signed up today.

I've recently moved to the DC suburb area, so I haven't yet gotten to try many of the restaurants mentioned on here. The catch is that I only truly have a limited time to eat - my jaws are in the process of self-destructing, and even a replacement joint isn't a possibility. So before I go on a liquid diet entirely, I'm trying to go after all the food experiences in the city that shouldn't be missed. Price isn't a major consideration (we did Laboratorio a couple of weeks ago and loved it, and have reservations in a couple of weeks for minibar).

Essentially, I'd like to hear the "cannot be missed" experiences. Your best meals, where the food quality, service, ambiance, and the rest made for an unbelievable outing. I'm sure a number of places offer amazing food, but I'm looking for ones that go a bit above just that to elevate them into that "special" category.

After all, I truly am picking out some of my last meals, so I want the "I would go here for my final meal" type places.

Chefs, managers, affiliated staff, please feel free to chime in as well.

My thoughts so far are

Maestro - Chef's tasting menu

Makoto - I love Kaz Sushi wholeheartedly, but being part Japanese, my friends thought I might enjoy the more traditional restaurant

Zayatinya - heard good things about the desserts, but this seems a little low on the priority scale

Jaleo - heard great things, but is it something you need to make a dinner experience out of?

Citronelle - Chef's tasting menu

Firefly

Corduroy - The reviews from posters here have been amazing, it definitely seems like a place worthy of a visit.

Are there other suggestions people might have? Thanks, and sorry for coming right out to make a request on my first posting.

Palena, Ray's, Eve, I'd add...

I've heard of these, why would you recommend those specifically? I'm just trying to get a sense of how I should prioritize...since while I gather many restaurants will accomodate special requests, requesting them to puree my food would probably lose something in the presentation.

How about Minibar for a fun, unique and educational dining experience?

ETA: Oops - maybe I should read the entire post before I make a suggestion. But I would definitely second the suggestion of the tasting room at Restaurant Eve.

Edited by ustreetguy

I love fine dining as much as the next guy, probably more so. But if I was making reservations for my last meals I know I'd want a really good burger, some kick ass barbecue, a big slad of regular old, frosted birthday cake (maybe even from Giant) with some cold milk. Tastes that I want to remember as long as I can.

Oh and a tasting menu from Maestro with several pasta courses would be good too.

I've heard of these, why would you recommend those specifically?  I'm just trying to get a sense of how I should prioritize...since while I gather many restaurants will accomodate special requests, requesting them to puree my food would probably lose something in the presentation.

I think Restaurant Eve (specifically the Tasting Room) should be high on your list too. It ranks right up there with Maestro (in my opinion) as far as quality of food and experience. The tasting menu (if this is a big splurge/last hurrah, go for the 9 courses!) will offer a variety of textures and tastes, probably many things that won't be too hard on your jaw. I'm thinking of lobster creme brulee, gnocchi, and lots of other good things....

Welcome to the board! So sorry that you're going through this. Enjoy your meals and be sure to report back and let us know what you liked (and didn't).

I don't know if there's much I could add to the finer dining recommendations. I've enjoyed 1789, which has just changed chefs, if that has not been mentioned. I might suggest Bistro Bis for French food and/or its American sibling Vidalia. Also for French, try Montmarte, on Capitol Hill near Eastern Market. It's small and cozy and has wonderful food.

I'd also recommend trying at least one of DC's many Ethiopian restaurants. I like Dukem, but I know that Sodere and other places have a following. There should be a thread on the forum somewhere specifically on the topic.

Additionally, maybe you would want to try particularly good pizza. I still have never gotten to 2 Amys :) , but that's probably considered the best. (Rereading, I see someone has mentioned it.) I'm a fan of Pizza Paradiso at Dupont Circle (haven't been to the newer Georgetown location).

I wouldn't want to think of having to go on an indefinite/permanent liquid diet. I hope something comes along that remedies your situation in the future.

I'm trying to imagine what would happen at Buck's if you asked for your food served pureed. Hmm, food for thought indeed! :)

I second (or third or fourth) the Komi recommendation. 2 Amys. The excellent guacamole at Rosa Mexicano can probably be done more smoothly than the usual chunky texture.

Good luck to you, Stephanie. I've had extensive dental work and jaw trouble so I feel your pain.

Stephanie:

I don't have anything to add to the suggestions listed above. I just wish I had deep enough pockets to eat in all the places mentioned.

You don't say where you are from, but if it is from outside this area then you are fortunate; the medical resources around here (and in Baltimore with its Johns Hopkins) are first-rate. I suspect that most of us on this website are a little bit gob-smacked by your troubles, as I am, and hope that whatever diagnosis you have been given isn't going to be the last word.

I have not met a single person through this group who isn't quite nice. So, if you need info in how to prepare something you can eat which also happens to be delicious, then don't hesistate to bring the challenge here. Lots of people will step up to the plate without hesitation and there is a lot of talent here, in very many areas.

Best wishes to you.

Barbara

...since while I gather many restaurants will accomodate special requests, requesting them to puree my food would probably lose something in the presentation.

I used to work at BlackSalt, and one day a group of seniors came in to celebrate a birthday with a man who needed to be spoon-fed. I had a conversation with owner Jeff Black that day about accomodating people with special needs (I am also a former social worker). He said that he has a few "regular" customers at his other places (Addie's and Black's Bar and Kitchen) who come in a couple of times a year, who cannot eat solid food. He said that as long as he has advance notice, he is happy to make a special dish for them that they are able to eat. And he does not change his basic style--ie. finest quality ingredients, intensity of flavor and visually appealing presentation. My guess is that Jeff is not alone in being open to this type of service. As long as there is sufficient advance notice, and you're willing to come in at a time when the kitchen is not slammed with customers, many chefs will make it possible for you to have food with fabulous flavor that you can eat. It doesn't have to be the end of delicious restaurant meals for you. Trust me on this.

Edited by zoramargolis