Cheese For Omelettes

edstaut

So I've been playing around with omelettes a lot recently. Wondering ig anyone has any interesting recipes/combos. Specialty meats, chicken, pancetta, salami?

Veggies? onions, mushrooms, peppers

and of course the key ingredient CHEESE. What is the best cheese for omelettes? Melatability, texture, taste.

Best,

Ed

Cheddar. Sure, it feels boring but it works spectacularly well in omelettes.

Another thought: omelette bonne femme. Throw the eggs atop fried potatoes, and top with sour cream. Chives in the mix works well, also.

BTW, if you're a geezer like me or an old-time Washingtonian, I learned about bonne femmes from Clyde's Omelette Room, which inspired the tune "Afternoon Delight."

My favorite dinner omelette is chevre and maitake mushrooms. They are both delicate enough that just the heat from the eggs being folded over on top of them will melt the cheese and warm the mushrooms. Sprinkle with some salt, pepper and parsley or chives.

For breakfast I'd go for cheddar or gruyere.

Harleach (probably misspelled) and the other flavored Welch cheeses from Sommerdale are pretty wonderful. Harleach is horseraddish flavores, red dragon is mustard and ale., there is another one with garlic & chive flavoring. They are made fro really rich milkd and melt well. I love them atop a juicy burger adn would love them in an omelette as well.

My favorite omelet combination is spicy sausge, such as merguez made by the Simply Sausage people or Logan's Mexican chorizo, crumbled up, and gruyere and a robust goat cheese like St. Maure, with mango chutney or a chunky hot sauce on the side.

That's what my dad would make when mom wasn't cooking and I was still too young to cook. If there was cheap caviar in the house he would add that in as well :)

You can take the boy out of Philly but you can't take Philly out of the boy.

At least it wasn't cheese whit.