Grilling 101

DanCole42

This may have been answered somewhere else in the topic, but does anyone know of a good, relatively inexpensive grill pan (I am considering a Calphalon 11"). I was/am a George Forman addict, but the thing doesn't cook evenly, and is too damn hard to clean! I'd love to find a great pan with raised grills so that the fat drains out, not drip down a la the GF. Any ideas? Thanks!

Lodge cast iron. Click here to see the selection. You can find them just about everywhere that sells pans. And they will last you a lifetime.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This may have been answered somewhere else in the topic, but does anyone know of a good, relatively inexpensive grill pan (I am considering a Calphalon 11"). I was/am a George Forman addict, but the thing doesn't cook evenly, and is too damn hard to clean! I'd love to find a great pan with raised grills so that the fat drains out, not drip down a la the GF. Any ideas? Thanks!
I've often wondered - what is the point of a grill pan, other than grill marks? It's not like you're actually "grilling". I can see some benefit of not having your food wallow in fat (though some see that as a positive!).

Anyhow, to your question, I'd probably stick with cast iron. Bigger is better, especially if you're going to cook larger portions. Larger cast iron pans take forever to heat up, but they hold the heat well and your food will cook evenly. And it's a hell of alot cheaper. Easy to clean, too!

Lodge cast iron. Click here to see the selection. You can find them just about everywhere that sells pans. And they will last you a lifetime.
Agree with mdt re the Lodge Cast Iron. There is no need to do Calphalon for a grill pan. The Lodge will perform just as well, if not better, than the Calphalon at a fraction of the price. The only caveat is to make sure you cure the cast iron before you use it. It's simple to do and there is a thread on it on DR.com.

And xcanuck raises a good question, what do you want to cook with your grill pan? If you just want to sear some steaks or chops, go for a regular, smooth bottomed, cast iron skillet.

But make sure you don't so what jenrus did to mine and try to clean it using your oven's self-clean setting. Well intentioned and effective, but it removes the seasoning too.

The saving grace is that it can be reseasoned, but you are starting from ground zero again.

I just wet myself. This sounds amazing. How much were you charged?

By the way, do you find the Cowboy charcoal discernably diffferent from any other type of natural hardwood charcoal?

I do. It's average, and gets the job done, but there's precious little wood smoke flavor. For a more definitive analysis of what's available, and what you're buying, read here.

I do. It's average, and gets the job done, but there's precious little wood smoke flavor. For a more definitive analysis of what's available, and what you're buying,read here.

Here are a few more of my thoughts on the subject of hardwood charcoal. I don't buy mesquite charcoal on principle, because the mesquite deserts in the Southwest and Northern Mexico are being depleted and the mesquite shrubs are important to that ecosystem. Mesquite charcoal is somewhat unique in that it does impart a distinct flavor in charcoal form.

When I am grilling with hardwood charcoal, it is usually because I want a fast, very hot fire. I am not looking for "smoke flavor" per se but want the flavor of very hot coals transforming meat from raw to cooked. Any smoke from a hot grillfire is usually caused by fat dripping from the meat onto the coals, and if there is too much fat burning, it can make the meat taste acrid. If I want wood smoke flavor, I use wet woodchips applied to a charcoal fire in a covered bbq. In that case, the type of wood (not the charcoal) is very determinative of the flavor imparted by the smoke. I tend to use either hickory or applewood chips when I am smoking.

I note that the quoted link indicates that the Cowboy is the same product as what is sold at Whole Foods. Their ratings also indicate that it doesn't burn as hot as long as they'd like. It could be a fun summer experiment to try out some of these other brands of charcoal and see if there's any appreciable difference.

I note that the quoted link indicates that the Cowboy is the same product as what is sold at Whole Foods. Their ratings also indicate that it doesn't burn as hot as they'd like. It could be a fun summer experiment to try out some of these other brands of charcoal and see if there's any appreciable difference.

I have also noticed pieces of decorative molding in with other hardwood lumber scraps in the Cowboy charcoal bags, but as the spouse of a former cabinetmaker, it doesn't disturb me at all. It is probably oak, beech or maple, and frankly I'm glad that it is being re-purposed, rather than going into a landfill, even though it is (eventually) biodegradable.

I'm sure that there probably is higher quality hardwood charcoal out there, and I'd be glad to go in on a shipment and try some different ones. But, frankly, I don't have a lot of storage space, and I like the convenience of being able to pick up a bag at Trader Joe's (for $4.99) when I need one. Knowing that it is the same product, I sure wouldn't pay more for it at Whole Foods!

Here are a few more of my thoughts on the subject of hardwood charcoal. I don't buy mesquite charcoal on principle, because the mesquite deserts in the Southwest and Northern Mexico are being depleted and the mesquite shrubs are important to that ecosystem. Mesquite charcoal is somewhat unique in that it does impart a distinct flavor in charcoal form.

When I am grilling with hardwood charcoal, it is usually because I want a fast, very hot fire. I am not looking for "smoke flavor" per se but want the flavor of very hot coals transforming meat from raw to cooked. Any smoke from a hot grillfire is usually caused by fat dripping from the meat onto the coals, and if there is too much fat burning, it can make the meat taste acrid. If I want wood smoke flavor, I use wet woodchips applied to a charcoal fire in a covered bbq. In that case, the type of wood (not the charcoal) is very determinative of the flavor imparted by the smoke. I tend to use either hickory or applewood chips when I am smoking.

I grill a fair amount of chicken and fish, and not always with alder, apple or pecan chips, so a stronger hardwood smoke flavor helps to add some bright paint to the canvas. And, too, since I am getting somewhat long in the tooth, and have spent decades in the pursuit of good cigars, ample whiskey and other recreational bad habits, I fear that my taste buds require a bit more prodding than the average, gentle reader here. Such are the realities of misspent middle years. I was not aware of the impact of mesquite harvesting, but have a rather large supply on hand that may outlast even my most determined efforts to grill the perfect duck. The best hardwood charcoal that I have found, to date, is Nature’s Own Chunk Charwood out of Rhode Island (note here that the murderous looks from the delivery truck guy may require a somewhat large gratuity to keep in check, but I digress). And, last, I believe that Trader Joe’s raised its Cowboy price to $4.99, which is what, I believe, Whole Foods charges for its brand, too.

I grill a fair amount of chicken and fish, and not always with alder, apple or pecan chips, so a stronger hardwood smoke flavor helps to add some bright paint to the canvas. And, too, since I am getting somewhat long in the tooth, and have spent decades in the pursuit of good cigars, ample whiskey and other recreational bad habits, I fear that my taste buds require a bit more prodding than the average, gentle reader here. Such are the realities of misspent middle years. I was not aware of the impact of mesquite harvesting, but have a rather large supply on hand that may outlast even my most determined efforts to grill the perfect duck. The best hardwood charcoal that I have found, to date, is Nature’s Own Chunk Charwood out of Rhode Island (note here that the murderous looks from the delivery truck guy may require a somewhat large gratuity to keep in check, but I digress). And, last, I believe that Trader Joe’s raised its Cowboy price to $4.99, which is what, I believe, Whole Foods charges for its brand, too.
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried to plank a duck?

You'd be better off investing in a charcoal chimney and just use regular charcoal. All serious grillers use them for starting charcoal. It's really easy to use - just three crumpled pieces of newspaper and a match gets the charcoal going. Then you don't have the extra expense of Match-lite and the yucky smell/taste of petroleum associated with your grill.

My old chimney starter recently bit the rust (sic); today the UPS man delivered my new and improved one -- cone-shaped grate for speedier ignition, thermoplastic handle, aluminized steel (whatever the hell that is). Although I grill year-round, spring has now definitely arrived.

I've never tried that, but what a wonderful idea. Have you? If so, what sort of plank did you use, and how long did it take?
I havent though I'm about to try next week. I'm thinking of using cedar and actually doing a 36 hr soak because I know the plank is going to take more heat to cook duck through than fish or some of the cuts of red meat I've used. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm addicted to planking.

I havent though I'm about to try next week. I'm thinking of using cedar and actually doing a 36 hr soak because I know the plank is going to take more heat to cook duck through than fish or some of the cuts of red meat I've used. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm addicted to planking.
Would there be any benefit to putting a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom (only) of the plank to slow down the rate at which the plank chars?

And if you're just doing salmon, how long do you soak the board for?

Would there be any benefit to putting a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom (only) of the plank to slow down the rate at which the plank chars?

And if you're just doing salmon, how long do you soak the board for?

well you lose the benefit of smoking the wood really if you put foil down- the direct heat of the wood is what moves it along for the flavor.

Just salmon gets a 4-8 hr soak, but I've gotten away with a single hour before if I keep a close eye on it and a spray bottle close for flareups.

Has anyone played with planking under a broiler, or otherwise devising some sort of way to reflect or radiate heat downward onto the meat? One of the finest planked fish I've eaten was a piece of salmon planked skin-side-up at NOLA (in N.O.LA), where it was cooked in the wood-fired brick oven. With extreme heat surrounding the dish, cooking was quick and not dependent on heat transfer through the wood...rather, I think the wood provided a little protection for the cut side of the fish. Plenty of smoke development and charring of the plank in an oven that hot.

[eta: A correction: I reviewed some crappy snapshots I took at NOLA several years ago, and they do plank their salmon skin-side-down. It's also topped with a mound of dressed greens before it goes into the brick oven.]

[eta: come to think of it now, that's also how they plank it at Palisade (in Seattle), where it's listed as "cedar plank roasted king salmon"]

In some ways this would seem to mirror the Native American practice of cooking with an inclined plank, meat-side-down, so the fish/bison/soylent green is directly exposed to the radiant heat from the coals instead of sitting in the shadow of the plank. You can get some idea of what I mean by watching the grill at the Northwestern US zone of Mitsitam. Obvious differences compared to the oven technique would seem to be less opportunity for basting (NOLA's fish goes on dressed wetly), possibly less smoke contact, and the need to tie the meat to a thicker plank, lest it burn through and fall in. I suppose you could try planking it in a grill cage.

FWIW, to avoid ridiculous plank prices, NOLA simply planked onto new untreated western red cedar lap siding, cut to length.

Has anyone played with planking under a broiler, or otherwise devising some sort of way to reflect or radiate heat downward onto the meat? One of the finest planked fish I've eaten was a piece of salmon planked skin-side-up at NOLA (in N.O.LA), where it was cooked in the wood-fired brick oven.
Nice coincidence. That's where I had my first ever cedar planked salmon, too.

jpschust has just let me know what i'm doing wrong. I've never soaked my plank for more than an hour which is why I get lots of flareups. I assume you also cook with the lid closed?

As for planking in the oven, I've put a loose foil tent over the planked salmon and just used the lower burner. I've had more success this way than on my grill, but that's no doubt because I'm not soaking my planks long enough.

jpschust has just let me know what i'm doing wrong. I've never soaked my plank for more than an hour which is why I get lots of flareups. I assume you also cook with the lid closed?

As for planking in the oven, I've put a loose foil tent over the planked salmon and just used the lower burner. I've had more success this way than on my grill, but that's no doubt because I'm not soaking my planks long enough.

I have cooked with the lid open and the lid closed- Sometimes a nice flareup at the end can crisp the fish nicely. The real key is to soak your planks a long time as you've noticed. Here's what I do when I'm grilling for a bunch of folks- I take my beverage coolers that I keep outside and put a few inches of water in them and put my planks in the bottom with some bricks on them to keep them down. An hour or so before guests come over I pull out the planks and just add ice to the cooler and voila- I can now store my beers and white wines in them.

I have never planked before.

Get a cedar plank - Soak at least four hours -

Salmon on Plank - Grill.

Is planking indirect heat? What would the cooking times be about?

Tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Tips appreciated.

Interesting primer on plank grilling available from NPR here.

eta: the NPR technique appears to be set for gas grills. I found a couple of Steve Raichlen recipes online, of which this one is typical. Raichlen banks his charcoal for medium-high indirect heat, uses a drip-pan, and planks his fish skin-side-down after a two-hour soak.

I have never planked before.

Get a cedar plank - Soak at least four hours -

Salmon on Plank - Grill.

Tips appreciated.

Thanks.

I never pretoast my planks like the article suggests- it would just zap the water out of the plank causing a flare up later.

Anyways- it all depends on the size of the salmon. It takes my grill at full heat about 14 minutes to cook a 1lb side of salmon cut about 1.5"-2" thick. I'm really monitoring the internal temp using a thermometer to get it just right and moist. I always put some fresh herbs between the skin of the fish and the plank and then I just use lemon, salt & pepper on the fish if it's a really nice piece.

Quick note- you can get KILLER salmon from whole foods if you're willing to buy a nice big side at once.

Do any other fish work well being "planked"? Although it sounds and looks delicious, I don't like salmon.
Pretty much every fish works planked- trout works especially well. The key is getting thicker cuts if possible- that meatyness helps out a lot. I've planked scallops, tuna, trout, cod, and so on. If you all are interested I'll use my camera and do a step by step of planking some fish and some veggies. I may document the duck just for the heck of it.

Quick note- you can get KILLER salmon from whole foods if you're willing to buy a nice big side at once.

I agree that the FL WF has some pretty good salmon. They will also cut you a nice piece from it if you ask too if you don't need the entire thing.

Pretty much every fish works planked- trout works especially well. The key is getting thicker cuts if possible- that meatyness helps out a lot. I've planked scallops, tuna, trout, cod, and so on. If you all are interested I'll use my camera and do a step by step of planking some fish and some veggies. I may document the duck just for the heck of it.

Thanks, that would be great.

Good lord, people. It's May!!! Look outside - let's talk grilling! I can't believe we haven't discussed various grilling techniques in over a month (yet Rachel Ray gets raked over the coals ad nauseum).

I have a Weber 22.5" kettle grill and am considering getting the Weber 2290 Rotisserie attachment. Opinions?? Some on Chowhound seemed to think that the same effect could be gained with basic indirect heat, which doesn't seem to make sense to me. I can't see how a hunk of meat would brown evenly if it sat in once place, no matter how you positioned the coals. Amazon reviews are very positive, yet they probably don't have the culinary sophistication :blink: of this board.

Thoughts?

Good lord, people. It's May!!! Look outside - let's talk grilling! I can't believe we haven't discussed various grilling techniques in over a month (yet Rachel Ray gets raked over the coals ad nauseum).

I have a Weber 22.5" kettle grill and am considering getting the Weber 2290 Rotisserie attachment. Opinions?? Some on Chowhound seemed to think that the same effect could be gained with basic indirect heat, which doesn't seem to make sense to me. I can't see how a hunk of meat would brown evenly if it sat in once place, no matter how you positioned the coals. Amazon reviews are very positive, yet they probably don't have the culinary sophistication :blink: of this board.

Thoughts?

Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are ;)

Obviously, being able to rotate your bird will give you the most even cook possible but, in theory, the shape and design of the Weber Kettle should produce an even cook with indirect heat only.

Thoughts?

I have been indirect grilling on a 22.5" Weber for a lot of years, and have never experienced any difficulty in browning all sides of anything I've cooked. The Weber design is such that, when the grill is covered, you are getting an even flow of heat and smoke that circulates. Still, one advantage of the 2290 Rotisserie may be that you'll achieve a somewhat moister result with fowl, although looking at a photo of the rotisserie makes me suspect that there might not be enough room to cook the larger birds. The other drawback, as I see it, is that you'll need an electrical outlet which adds another inconvenience if there isn't an existing one on your deck.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, the only advantage of the roti would be that the skin never comes in contact with a surface, which should make it more uniformly crisp, so in that sense I can see your point. On the other hand, the air in a covered Weber is not only fairly even all around, it is also fairly moist, so the whole point of a roti attachment may be lost, except for earning Weber some more money. I agree with what others have said: indirect heat in a Weber is one of those few techniques that are not only foolproof but also produce great results. For me, it is still the best way, including all the haute cuisine recipes that have circulated for several generations, of producing a perfectly roasted chicken--no turning, no basting, nothing. Dare I say it: set it and forget it. However, I find the 18" is better for this purpose, as it browns better with less coal than the 22". I use the latter only if I'm doing two birds (though these can fit on an 18" as well if they're around 3 lbs. each) or a couple racks of ribs.

So I'm still having trouble cooking fatty steaks (i.e. ribeyes) without flareups, especially when cooking on a grate directly on top of my chimney starter. I want high heat, I want char, but last night I literally had to blow my steak out after removing it.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be trimming off the gristle/fat cap before cooking?

So I'm still having trouble cooking fatty steaks (i.e. ribeyes) without flareups, especially when cooking on a grate directly on top of my chimney starter. I want high heat, I want char, but last night I literally had to blow my steak out after removing it.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be trimming off the gristle/fat cap before cooking?

The more fat you trim the fewer flare-ups you will have. I don't know if you are using any marinades or oil, but they create even more flare-up opportunities, especially if the meat is directly over a chimney starter. One quick remedy is to put the grill cover on for ten seconds or so, but be cautious when you take it off in the event that there's more grease than you've anticipated.

Babysit that grill. Make sure you have a glass of wine and tongs handy before placing the meat on the grill. Move meat around if necessary to avoid flareups.

Sometimes a little beer on the flames helps...Don't waste wine.

I am excited. I just ordered the Weber Performer, which I will have on Thursday! It's been almost five years since I have cooked on a grill, since moving to the DC area I have only lived in apartment buildings that would not allow me to grill. Now I have a deck of my own, and it's time to go to work. I just wish my neighbor to the left would clean his yard of all the bird feed thats attracting so many birds to my deck :blink:

As Dan notes, earlier this summer were some posts re. cooking steaks directly on the coals. I have done it with strips, and as this link (Julia and dirty steaks) upthread reveals, George Germon of Al Forno used ribeyes. Germon doesn't even trim the fat, and combined with the rich marbling of the ribeye, the resulting smoke infuses the steak with great flavor, in his opinion.

Go ahead, be bold and throw the steaks directly on the coals!

I am excited. I just ordered the Weber Performer, which I will have on Thursday! It's been almost five years since I have cooked on a grill, since moving to the DC area I have only lived in apartment buildings that would not allow me to grill. Now I have a deck of my own, and it's time to go to work. I just wish my neighbor to the left would clean his yard of all the bird feed thats attracting so many birds to my deck :blink:

You could always cook them. Offer half of the meat to your neighbor if they complain.

So I froze some brined chickens a couple of months ago, and I'm looking to give 'em a shot on the grill (this is using a modified Palena chicken project brine by mhberk).

So what do you think... quarter the chicken and grill direct, or leave whole and go the indirect route?

I've never cooked anything on the grill indirectly. Any tips?

Should I make a gravy or something out of the pan drippings, or would they be too salty from the brine?

I'd recommend using a beer can or similar device. Chicken are fairly fatty and would not want to use the drippings. I have a few chicken stands which are similar to a beer can. With these type devices it is always indirect at the flame underneath does not come into direct contact with the bird. It keeps the bird moist and avoids flareups. So it becomes a set it and forget it type approach.

So I froze some brined chickens a couple of months ago, and I'm looking to give 'em a shot on the grill (this is using a modified Palena chicken project brine by mhberk).

So what do you think... quarter the chicken and grill direct, or leave whole and go the indirect route?

I've never cooked anything on the grill indirectly. Any tips?

Should I make a gravy or something out of the pan drippings, or would they be too salty from the brine?

Indirect grilling of a whole chicken is one of life's delightful, slow pleasures, and easily accomplished. If you have a covered grill with vents, put the charcoal on one side and a drip pan beneath the chicken on the cooler side. Dry the bird off, apply a generous amount of pepper, and place it breast-up over the pan. I'd recommend keeping the vents fully opened, and not basting it until the last 20-30 minutes. If you want additional flavor, you can toss in a handful of wet smoking chips of your choice, but I would suggest that you not overdo that. The cooking time should be approximately two hours for a 3 1/2- 4 lb chicken, and your thermometer should read 165 degrees in the thigh at the end. The beer can method previously noted produces a wonderful grilled chicken, too, but I like to work at it a bit more and have an excuse to stay outside.

Indirect grilling of a whole chicken is one of life's delightful, slow pleasures, and easily accomplished. If you have a covered grill with vents, put the charcoal on one side and a drip pan beneath the chicken on the cooler side. Dry the bird off, apply a generous amount of pepper, and place it breast-up over the pan. I'd recommend keeping the vents fully opened, and not basting it until the last 20-30 minutes. If you want additional flavor, you can toss in a handful of wet smoking chips of your choice, but I would suggest that you not overdo that. The cooking time should be approximately two hours for a 3 1/2- 4 lb chicken, and your thermometer should read 165 degrees in the thigh at the end. The beer can method previously noted produces a wonderful grilled chicken, too, but I like to work at it a bit more and have an excuse to stay outside.
What do I baste with?

The cooking time should be approximately two hours for a 3 1/2- 4 lb chicken, and your thermometer should read 165 degrees in the thigh at the end.

The chickens I charcoal roast in my Weber Kettle are a little bit smaller, but this still seems like too long. You don't want to overcook and dry out a bird that you've gone to a lot of trouble to brine. With a chimney starter full of hot coals, my brined chickens are done in an hour. I roast directly on the grate, cause they don't fit under the lid standing up on a verticle roaster or a beer can. I rotate twice and turn the bird over once, so that all sides of the chicken have equal time in close proximity to the coals.

The chickens I charcoal roast in my Weber Kettle are a little bit smaller, but this still seems like too long. You don't want to overcook and dry out a bird that you've gone to a lot of trouble to brine. With a chimney starter full of hot coals, my brined chickens are done in an hour. I roast directly on the grate, cause they don't fit under the lid standing up on a verticla roaster or a beer can. I rotate twice and turn the bird over once, so that all sides of the chicken have equal time in close proximity to the coals.
I don't sweat the time, relying instead only on my trusty thermometer. If that baby hits 165 in less than a minute, it's done. Also, on fire.

The chickens I charcoal roast in my Weber Kettle are a little bit smaller, but this still seems like too long. You don't want to overcook and dry out a bird that you've gone to a lot of trouble to brine. With a chimney starter full of hot coals, my brined chickens are done in an hour. I roast directly on the grate, cause they don't fit under the lid standing up on a verticle roaster or a beer can. I rotate twice and turn the bird over once, so that all sides of the chicken have equal time in close proximity to the coals.

I use this same technique and never need more than an hour for a 3.25 lb bird. However, I find turning not only unnecessary but undesirable, as it can easily damage the skin. I use Weber's charcoal holders on either side of the bird, not just one side. You have to make sure to keep the grill hot, with vents fully open and plenty of fuel. That gives a brown and crisp skin. I truss the chicken tightly and put half a lemon and some herbs inside it. I also do not baste (which prolongs cooking time by letting heat escape, thereby also reducing the crispness of the skin), but instead put slivers of butter underneath the breast skin.