Vidalia, Komi, or Restaurant Kolumbia

flygirl

A friend is in town tonight. I've narrowed it to the above. I just tried to call Komi for a reservation, no answer.

Which one would you pick and are walk-ins possible in any of them? Is a last minute res at Komi even possible?

Dun know about Komi, but the others are on Open Table. I personally prefer RK over Vidalia. I think the flavors are really there at RK compared to Vidalia.

Recent visit to Firefly

poor service

Overcooked Tuna

poor service

and the wine wasn't very good either

But it is expensive so I guess it has that going for it. IMO It shouldn't be on the same list as Komi.

I think the original poster is looking for places within walking distance of the University Club. The "list" is therefore places near the University Club. Komi, Vidalia and Kolumbia belong on that list. If Vidalia is on that list, then Firefly belongs on it too. And your comment belongs under the Firefly thread.

Also, another good place in the opposite direction is Corduroy at 12th and K, and should be on the "list.".

I think we are going to try for RK. I would love to go to Komi but I think our chances at the last minute are slim. I'll try calling Komi at 6 PM when they open but I doubt we will get in. we wouldn't be able to sit down until 830 anyway...

thank you for the help. I'll report back.

Someone at Komi starts answering the phone after lunchtime usually. I don't recommend waiting to call til 6 pm (aka during service).

Vidalia would be my pick of the other two. It has been consistently great during past visits, and I have heard that it's even better of late. If I didn't work out by $%^@ Tysons, I would get there soon for a bar meal.

Komi is very small, and very hot right now, so getting a reservation is not exactly easy.

I'd say grab a cab or the Metro and go to Palena if you can't get into the others. I like it better than either of them. Corduroy would also be an easy walk. You might also check out Lima if you are into watching a fun crowd and like food with a Latin/Cuban flavor.

I'd vote for RK over Vidalia -- I like the portion sizes and flavors better. Of course, if you can get into Komi it outranks everything else by a healthy margin.

At Kolumbia, a charcuterie platter is always a good idea, and anything that sounds like it might be Polish. Enjoy!

JG, I beg to differ. If you ask politely, Palena has the best charcuterie I've had in this country, bar none. Frank knows how to cure meat like a pro.
But Mark, read my phrasing closely, I didn't say it was the best in town, I only said there was nothing else like it in town. If you order the "full board" this cutting board that seems to be about a yard-square comes out covered with a variety of cured meats and pates of various sorts with an accompaniement for each. It's awesome.

I'm feeling a progressive charcuterie drunk coming on--Palena (with a cocktail), Dino (with some crazy Alto Adige white), RK (with Hook and Ladder Pale), and Citronelle for smoked salmon and Huet Petillant.

With a slight adjustment I am all for this. Just name the date and confirm that Palena has the goods.