Il Forno, Ballston - Large, Modern Italian on North Glebe Road and N. Fairfax Drive in Ballston - Closed

This place has been around for a couple of years but I only decided to try it last night because of NoVa Restaurant Week.  I'm on the fence about the place.  Nice venue, sort of modern Milan-like.  My caprese was good though small.  My husband's fried calamari was good.  My cappricio di mare was okay - fish and shrimp good, but mussels, clams, and bay scallops chewy and lacked flavor.  The sauce was good though but salty.  The bread was good.  The tiramisu was really good though small.

I'm going to give them another chance because I want to like them.  I can walk there from my house.  So I will go again and try other things from their menu.  Service is friendly and good.  An organization I volunteer with holds Opera Buffs Happy Hours here once a month and the restaurant is very supportive of that.  That also makes me want to give them another try.

I'm going to give them another chance because I want to like them. 

You're braver than I am - this entire stretch of N. Glebe Road from Fairfax Drive to Wilson Boulevard ... well, let's just say I paid my penance at SER, which bored me to tears, and Mussel Bar, which was "okay" for happy hour, and I appreciate them leaving the diamond canape on the front of Bob Peck Chevrolet. All of these places - Greene TurtleWorld of Beer, PinziminiBooeymonger - I'm looking forward to reading other people's recent reports about them. I remain open-minded, but I'm sure as heck not going to be the guinea pig. Why don't the planners talk with someone who knows what they're doing before committing? We've already lost Pizza Vinoteca, and more are sure to follow.

• Like 2

You're braver than I am - this entire stretch of N. Glebe Road from N. Fairfax Drive to Wilson Boulevard ... well, let's just say I paid my penance at SER, which bored me to tears, and Mussel Bar, which was "okay" for happy hour, and I appreciate them leaving the diamond canape on the front of Bob Peck Chevrolet. All of these places - Greene Turtle, World of Beer, Pinzimini, Booeymonger - I'm looking forward to reading other people's recent reports about them. I remain open-minded, but I'm sure as heck not going to be the guinea pig. Why don't the planners talk with someone who knows what they're doing before committing? We've already lost Pizzeria Vinoteca, and more are sure to follow.

By the happenstance of my firm's engagement with a client in that neighborhood, literally next door to SER, I find myself thereabouts for many lunches. After many samplings, I now choose the Korean-ish pay-by-the-pound hot and cold bar on the 1st floor of 4601 N. Fairfax Dr.

SER is, as Don says, boring. How can a Spanish concept with decent kitchen pedigree provide such unexciting offerings? Booeymonger is what happens when a good deli concept tries to become a mediocre corporate cafeteria. World of Beer and Greene Turtle didn't get the neighborhood demographic quite right, because there aren't a lot of frat houses in Ballston. While I haven't yet been to Il Forno, I have no compelling desire to visit.

It's a little over half a mile from where Willow once stood and where Pupatella now stands. In that chunk of Arlington there are significant office buildings, upscale residences, plenty of foot traffic and a Metro stop. You would think that the real culinary world would want a piece of that action.

• Like 1

Because of the preponderance of Word Of Beer-type places I want to like Il Forno.  I want regular restaurants in that area.  Actually, I went to Pizzeria Vinoteca once and was not a fan of their pizza (and I'm a pizza lover).  Also went to SER once and wondered what the buzz was all about - my seafood paella was awful and expensive.

I also am a semi-regular at Booeymonger's for their breakfast sandwiches and lunch sandwiches.  They aren't great, but again, it's walking distance and acceptable.

Because of the preponderance of Word Of Beer-type places I want to like Il Forno.  I want regular restaurants in that area.  Actually, I went to Pizzeria Vinoteca once and was not a fan of their pizza (and I'm a pizza lover).  Also went to SER once and wondered what the buzz was all about - my seafood paella was awful and expensive.

I also am a semi-regular at Booeymonger's for their breakfast sandwiches and lunch sandwiches.  They aren't great, but again, it's walking distance and acceptable.

You should be going *gaga* over our Spanish Classifieds Forum, now in its *10th year*!

This is about the highest degree of loyalty someone can possibly show.

In all seriousness, the world needs more people like you.

• Like 1

I am pleased that somebody tried il forno. I have passed by many times and it is nearly empty, always and I've wondered how it has stayed open. No, I've never been.

I am very excited about Cheesetique and total wine.  I think they are perfect additions for the neighborhood.  If they could only put in a trader joe's express, or a mini Mom's, Ballston would be perfect.

By the happenstance of my firm's engagement with a client in that neighborhood, literally next door to SER, I find myself thereabouts for many lunches. After many samplings, I now choose the Korean-ish pay-by-the-pound hot and cold bar on the 1st floor of 4601 N. Fairfax Dr.

It's called Ballston Cafe, if anyone wants to give it a try. There are quite a few of these things in the subsurbs -- sandwiches made to order in one corner, hot bar and cold bar pay by-the-pound, small eat-in area, serving breakfast and lunch, plenty of Asian-esque offerings.

I'm not touting this place by any means, but when your choices are Green Turtle or World of Beers, and you are on a quick lunch break, you can do worse.

• Like 2

It's called Ballston Cafe, if anyone wants to give it a try. There are quite a few of these things in the subsurbs -- sandwiches made to order in one corner, hot bar and cold bar pay by-the-pound, small eat-in area, serving breakfast and lunch, plenty of Asian-esque offerings.

I'm not touting this place by any means, but when your choices are Green Turtle or World of Beers, and you are on a quick lunch break, you can do worse.

There are (or were) several of them in DC also, and the quality (the Korean-owned ones, anyway) was usually quite good. They were sparkling clean, and the food was healthy (if you wanted to make it healthy) and pretty darned good for a salad bar-type setup. Back when I used to work downtown, I'd find one and frequent it fairly often for lunch.

• Like 1