Dr.com Cooking Club - Tamales! Dec 8, 1:30-ish PM

ktmoomau

@ktmoomau I don't know how to make bao buns or saltenas but would also be interested in learning how to make them. I'm sure I have a few cooking skills that I could share. I'm interested in learning how to make choux paste, grougers, eclairs, etc.. and would like to have enough people around to enjoy them (don't want to end up knee deep in choux paste experiments).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curls said:

@ktmoomau I don't know how to make about buns or saltenas but would also be interested in learning how to make them. I'm sure I have a few cooking skills that I could share. I'm interested in learning how to make choux paste, grougers, eclairs, etc.. and would like to have enough people around to enjoy them (don't want to end up knee deep in choux paste experiments).

I have never made those (although I have a friend who has made eclairs, maybe I can get her to come help), but would be willing to take a stab at it too!  

• Like 1

I held a paella class for about 20 neighbors this winter.  Lots of interest beforehand little during cooking.  Folks didn't want to come early to make sofrito.  Much more interest when food was finished and corks were popped.

• Haha 2

I'd have interest in trying out something like this.  I have a large kitchen as well, but I don't know that I have any specialties as far as foods or techniques to share.  But if someone would like to host something but doesn't have room, maybe we can work it out that that person can host at my place.

• Like 1

This all sounds great!  Bao Buns first one and then we can move down the line with people taking picks what they want to make?  I will post some dates I could host tomorrow, I have to head out for a meeting in a few.  (We can have some frosty beverages, snacks while we work)

• Like 3

Ok, dates I could host BAO BUNS:

September 14, September 15, October 5, October 19, October 20.

I think it would make sense to start early afternoon to get them done.  I live in Potomac Yard in Alexandria.  If you would like to join, please respond back with all the dates you can make, I will pick the date the most people can attend.

How about 1:00 pm, that way we have time to let dough rise?  And can have them for dinner?

If you all wanted to choose to make a filling, bring a snack, libation or dessert that would be more than welcome!  I have a pretty stocked wine fridge, but am always running out of white wine (I don't know how that happens)!

Went searching and found a few recipes and varities of bao (steamed, baked, steam fried, soup dumpling, savory, sweet, etc.). I'll include the links below. Which kind of bao were you interested in making @ktmoomau? I'm looking forward to this.  🙂

So with rise times- the first rise is 1 hour and the second is 20 minutes and then 15, and steaming is about 15 minutes, so with preparation time from start to eating- I would think 3 hours is likely the amount of time we might need. I could do one batch and have it start the first rise before, and then we can make other batches when people arrive?

11 hours ago, lion said:

Is the start time still going to be 1pm?

Unfortunately, I have a funeral service to attend that morning and it looks like I won't be able to make it to the Cooking club meeting.

Yes, so sorry my condolences.  Someone should start planning the next one, and hopefully you can attend.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Yes, so sorry my condolences.  Someone should start planning the next one, and hopefully you can attend.

Thank you. Even though my friend's wife has some health issues, she was only 67 which these days seems still young.

I look forward to hearing about the day and hopefully seeing some photographs of Bao buns. 

Smokes of the holy variety this was a delightful event.

THANK YOU ktmoomau for enabling the Invasion of the Bao Snatchers.   

I will post pics, but that is going to take some time.  My tech skillz are no longer l33t. 

So for now, take this as a reminder/nudge/sign from the universe that you have fellowship waiting for you in this community.  Come as you are.  Get out there.  Connect and learn.  Especially if you are new, you will be welcomed with open arms and eager palates.

And for all you veterans:  it’s been a while!  Yes, you are busy.  Yes, schedules happen.  You can set the date, choose the theme, and pull the plug at the last minute if you have to.  Please consider hosting the next one. 

Don’t make me fly you all to Texas.  :-)

• Like 2

Well Bao buns were pretty much a success!  We had one dough failure (Ansons Mills will be getting an email/comment about their recipe), but the Woks of Life Bao dough https://thewoksoflife.com/steamed-bbq-pork-buns-char-siu-bao/ was a lot easier and a big success! DanielK made pork char sui filling.

I made a fairly spicy chicken filling in the instant pot- 2 large chicken breast, 1 shallot small dice, 3 cloves garlic finely chopped, a splash (about 1 1/2T) of: Dark soy sauce, xiaoxing cooking wine, black vinegar, homemade chili oil (If you use store bought I would add some fresh pepper like jalapeno or serrano), j toasted sesame oil, 1 teaspoon five spice powder, 2T grated ginger. On normal pressure for 10 minutes.  Let the chicken cool then cut, reduce the sauce and add a roux of cornstarch and add chicken.  (It won't be near as spicy in the buns.) 

Thanks to Becca and Curls for telling me what videos to pull up to watch rolling and pleating!  (Binging with Babish Bao).  The company was so great, I loved doing this.  Someone pick up the torch and carry it to the next class!!

• Like 2

I would like to suggest a tamale-making gathering.  I've never made them, and I understand the best way is to do a big assembly line with lots of hands on deck to mix, wrap, fill, steam, etc.  I'm happy to have everyone at my house to do it.   I'm thinking Sunday the 8th or 15th of December for it.  Possibly Saturday the 14th.  I figure I have space for about 10-12 people.

Anyone interested?  

Edited by weezy
had a date wrong
  • Like 2

Giving this a bump, but it seems there isn't a lot of interest right now.  Would a weeknight be better, since the holiday weekends are filling up?  Or just save it for later in the season, perhaps the weekend before the Superbowl?

On 10/23/2019 at 5:10 PM, weezy said:

I would like to suggest a tamale-making gathering.  I've never made them, and I understand the best way is to do a big assembly line with lots of hands on deck to mix, wrap, fill, steam, etc.  I'm happy to have everyone at my house to do it.   I'm thinking Sunday the 8th or 15th of December for it.  Possibly Saturday the 14th.  I figure I have space for about 10-12 people.

Anyone interested?  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, weezy said:

Giving this a bump, but it seems there isn't a lot of interest right now.  Would a weeknight be better, since the holiday weekends are filling up?  Or just save it for later in the season, perhaps the weekend before the Superbowl?

I doubt a weeknight would make it any better to be honest.  I have nothing planned the weekend before the superbowl, I could make that.  But I really will try to drop by on the 8th if you have it that day.  I just watched the Bon Appetite You tube on tamales, and they use a huge amount more fat than I do, and their dough has a slightly different consistency.  I have used the recipe on the instant masa bag with very good outcomes, IMHO.