Trickling Springs Creamery (2001-2019) Closes Abruptly Following Announcement of Securities Fraud Investigation

DaRiv18

On 9/26/2019 at 6:55 PM, DaRiv18 said:

Sad news. Trickling Springs, my favorite local ice cream is shutting down. Link

Providing financial data for loans is pretty basic stuff. I assume either nobody knew what they were doing and were oblivious to requirements, or they knew exactly what they were or were not doing. Or, of course, they got and followed really, really bad advice.

15 hours ago, DonRocks said:

DIShGo purchased a pint of vanilla today at MOM's Organic Market in Del Ray - I took a bite (probably my last-ever), and it was quite good.

Their vanilla is deeply vanilla. I love(d) it. I have a pint I picked up (along with a pint of salted caramel) at a local store that still has some. I'd have bought more but am out of freezer space...

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:40 AM, DonRocks said:

I read most of this earlier, and am going to finish it later - it's an excellent article (award-winning excellent).

It is excellent. I had no idea this was a Mennonite-owned and -funded business. I was telling people about the article yesterday and one of them put 2 and 2 together and figured out what we'd been wondering for so long: Why on earth would the Trickling Springs store at Eastern Market be closed on Sundays? It's a peak day for sales around there, whereas Monday, which they were open, is the day other places are closed and is slow. It must have been closed on Sunday for religious reasons, like Chick-fil-A.

3 hours ago, lion said:

Tim Carman did an really good job at investigating the players and issues with the fall of Trickling Spring. Just reminded me of the Mennonite young woman who ran the store in Union Market. 

Not to state the obvious to people who know, but Amish are distinct from Mennonites.

"What's the Difference between Amish and Mennonites?" on amishamerica.com

If there's one takeaway from this post, I believe that Amish live a more primitive lifestyle, without electricity; Mennonites allow themselves a degree of technology (I don't know much about this (I haven't read the Wikipedia articles), but I believe that's correct).

I used to live in Chambersburg, home of Trickling Springs, and have many friends in the Mennonite Community.  Mennonites in the Chambersburg area represent a large variety of lifestyles and theological perspectives.  Some are indistinguishable from the Amish for most people.  Others are indistinguishable from everyone else.

The Chambersburg area is notable for having a large number of small farms, including dairy farms.  I now see that Trickling Springs has likely helped make that possible.  When I lived in Chambersburg, I often wondered how the company was sustainable.  It took moving out of the are to realize how large their market was.

I am very pleased by the article linked.  It does a good job of representing the community I know.  I am curious what will happen with the physical plant, and am concerned about the wider impacts on the farming community in that area.  I suspect there is a large overlap between the farming population and those who invested in the company.

6 hours ago, lion said:

Tim Carman did an really good job at investigating the players and issues with the fall of Trickling Spring. Just reminded me of the Mennonite young woman who ran the store in Union Market. 

It appears she is still there running the new dairy stand that replaced Trickling Springs (the name escapes me), we noticed this past weekend.  It's good to see at least some continuity.

I believe she would see her using smart cellphones and etc...so it didn't seem like she was Amish but thanks for the link and clarification, Don.

Thanks for the update TedE, we haven't been there in a while probably last summer. 

Hopefully the different dairy producers in the area will be able to recover and move forward.