Urban Burger, West Aspen Hill - Closed, Reopening, and Moving

FWIW, my son got the bacon cheeseburger, and it ROCKED. Perfectly cooked to the requested medium-rare, juicy, shot through with BBQ sauce, on a good bun, with several slices of thick-cut bacon well fried. I'd have a hard time ordering a burger in a BBQ joint, but this is pretty tempting.
Interesting. A friend told me recently that she heard (can't remember where) that an "Urban Hampburger Joint" (I've surely got the name wrong, but it starts with Urban) is going into the stripmall on 28 south of GA/Bel Pre, just north of Baltimore Rd. where there is a Safeway (I have no idea what the development/strip mall is called--sorry). When I said, "huh?" She claimed it was being opened by the same folks who own urban bbq. Keep your eyes peeled, daniel!

Interesting. A friend told me recently that she heard (can't remember where) that an "Urban Hampburger Joint" (I've surely got the name wrong, but it starts with Urban) is going into the stripmall on 28 south of GA/Bel Pre, just north of Baltimore Rd. where there is a Safeway (I have no idea what the development/strip mall is called--sorry). When I said, "huh?" She claimed it was being opened by the same folks who own urban bbq. Keep your eyes peeled, daniel!

It is going to be Urban Burger and is in the space that Chicken Out used to occupy. They are hoping to open early in January. They will still have the great wings, but will be offering 5 kinds of meats as burgers with your choice of toppings etc. Looks to be very good. I'll post more after I talk to Lee again.

It is going to be Urban Burger and is in the space that Chicken Out used to occupy. They are hoping to open early in January. They will still have the great wings, but will be offering 5 kinds of meats as burgers with your choice of toppings etc. Looks to be very good. I'll post more after I talk to Lee again.
Will it have any barbecue at all, or just burgers?

(And :P that another Chicken Out franchise is out of business. Their chicken sucked so bad.)

Will it have any barbecue at all, or just burgers?

(And :P that another Chicken Out franchise is out of business. Their chicken sucked so bad.)

Just burgers and sides, maybe a chicken breast sandwich too. Not a BBQ place. Actually, I think there are some menus on the door of the place and they can give you one at Urban BBQ

The folks who own Urban BBQ in Rockville, MD have opened a new restaurant, Urban Burger in the shopping center at Bauer Drive and Norbeck Rd. It is in the old Chicken Out space there.

The format is fairly easy, chose your meat (3 choices including angus beef, chicken and a spicy sausage) choose your style (there are 5 I beleive) and toppings are available at the topping bar. All burgers are cooked to order (after you order, none of this half cooked waiting for the grill stuff) and there are a lot of sides. They have retained the great Urban wings from the BBQ restaurant, as well as a version of the Soul Rolls (ground been instead of brisket), the redneck chili, and the great draft root beer. Folks are as friendly as ever, and this restaurant, unlike Urban BBQ has lots of seating and space. I had just come from having the BBQ, so we just stopped in for dessert (fried twinkie sundie) Hope they do well as they are great folks. If the burgers are half as good as the BBQ at the other place, it will be great.

We went back. One thing that is wonderful is that they cook your burger to order, meaning if you want it RARE, lke my son prefers his, you get it rare, none of this we will only cook it medium rare crap.

I had the sausage. They have it made for them by Bakers in Baltimore and it is very, very good. Great onion rings too. I also had the potato and corn chowder. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was a bit spicy for my wife's taste. She did find the grilled chicken (which she had served on a salad instead of a bun) to be very good.

I wish I had the same experience as you.

After placing the order, our burgers were ready in under 5 minutes. I can only guess this is because they were pre-cooked, and "finished" on the grill at ordering time. Of the 3 medium-rare burgers we ordered, one was medium-rare, one was medium, and one medium well. The burgers seemed smaller than the ones at the original location, and not as tasty.

The buns need a moment on the grill, and frankly they need better buns.

The fries were surprisingly soggy, as I usually love the fries from Urban BBQ. Onion rings were fine, nothing special, but the BBQ beans were 80% sauce and a few beans floating around.

At least the root beer on tap was good.

Total was under $30 for 3 of us. I love the original, so I'll give them another shot when they settle in, but my wife remarked afterwards that she preferred Cheeburger Cheeburger. I wouldn't go that far, but this was definitely not their best foot forward.

I've been there three times. The first time I ordered a "medium" burger and it came out medium rare. The second time I ordered it medium well, and it came that way. Third time the same. But I don't think they pre-cook the burgers, based on the first one. I got onion rings the first time--very good--and fries the second time. Like DanielK, mine were not as crisp as I'm used to at Urban BBQ. And I agree, the buns could be better. But it's still a good burger with a big upside.

So my review fall somewhere between dinwiddie and DanielK. I like the burgers, but I've never had one at the original Urban. One complaint is the lettuce at the fixins bar. I don't like shredded lettuce on my burger--if it isn't leaf lettuce, forget it. Shredded is too much like McDonald's. I'd rather they put the lettuce on the side, like they do at Hard Times, which still sets the standard for a burger in Montgomery County, IMO.

But Urban Burger is young and, IMO, is already miles ahead of Cheeburger, Cheeburger. I've tried them twice and was disappointed both times that their burgers could be so completely devoid of flavor.

After placing the order, our burgers were ready in under 5 minutes. I can only guess this is because they were pre-cooked, and "finished" on the grill at ordering time. Of the 3 medium-rare burgers we ordered, one was medium-rare, one was medium, and one medium well. The burgers seemed smaller than the ones at the original location, and not as tasty.

The buns need a moment on the grill, and frankly they need better buns.

My burger was also ready in under 5 minutes, there was no way that this was cooked from scratch to order. I thought the burger looked kind of small too. Maybe my imagination, but I was expecting that looked bigger. I was there at lunch time (1:00) on Saturday so maybe if I went off peak they would be cooked to order.

I did the burger in a bowl (burger on top of a salad) to keep me on my drop twenty for vacation so I cannot comment on the fries or the bun.

Taste - Burger Good, but not blown away good, I asked for medium (pink) and it was more like medium well (greyish). The ceasar salad was romaine with cheese I had them hold the crutons. I went with blue cheese dressing instead of the house ceaser. The dressing was good, but I prefer more blue cheese chunks so I was glad I added the blue cheese crumbles.

Price - I think they are a little pricey - I added fried onions, mushrooms and crumbled blue cheese and the quantity the add ons I thought was a little skimpy given that they charge .50 each. A burger bowl plus three add on's and a drink put a burger lunch at $11. Burger, Salad & drink for $11 sounds a buck or two high to me.

The cashier and the guy making the salads were both learning their system, I am assuming the grill guy is too. Hopefully with a little training they can iron out the bumps and bring it up to to speed.

I will try them again in a few weeks to see how they are doing.

Two stars from Tom.

Anyone been recently? He highlights several things - medium rare burgers, toasted bun, good onion rings - that I did not experience when I went opening week.

I haven't been recently, but the Gazette (source of all vital information for me in MoCo) also gave it a glowing review. Now, if you know the Gazette, then you know that's meaningless, but a meaningless data point is better than no datapoint, right?! :o

I'm heading here for lunch today and will report back.

Here's the the WaPo city guide entry. There's a couple of tasty little morsels of nuttiness in the comments:

There are only 3 choices on the kids' menu. Two of those are hot dogs and hamburgers, too hard for little kids to eat.
What the fuck were these people expecting at a burger joint? And since when is a burger too hard for a 20-month-old? Cut the stupid thing up and let them gnaw on it. Or get some macaroni and cheese off the sides menu.

And this made me laugh:

My wife thought the meat tasted too 'beefy' ...

I do have qualms about taking my kids. One of our (very) few parenting successes has been our policy of never taking the kids to any place that has a play area, in order to reinforce the idea that they must stay at the table. Can anyone who has been there comment of the level of noise/mayhem?

I'm heading here for lunch today and will report back.

Here's the the WaPo city guide entry. There's a couple of tasty little morsels of nuttiness in the comments:What the fuck were these people expecting at a burger joint? And since when is a burger too hard for a 20-month-old? Cut the stupid thing up and let them gnaw on it. Or get some macaroni and cheese off the sides menu.

And this made me laugh:

I do have qualms about taking my kids. One of our (very) few parenting successes has been our policy of never taking the kids to any place that has a play area, in order to reinforce the idea that they must stay at the table. Can anyone who has been there comment of the level of noise/mayhem?

On a Saturday it was about 3 other kids. The "play area" is about 8 foot by 12 foot area of rubber floor tiles and a few different little play tables and other stuff. It wasn't bad. I don't know what a weekday will look like. I might join you down there. I was hankering for a burger today myself.

Stopped by for lunch on a trip to Joe's Record Paradise on Gude Dr. It's good, but not Earth-shakingly good.

The burger itself was juicy and properly cooked but was a little too compacted for my taste. I didn't have the problem of it tasting "too beefy;" quite the opposite since I ordered the "Urban BBQ" burger and the toppings (BBQ sauce, bacon, and cheese) completely obliterated the taste of the meat. The sauce was far too sweet and the cheese was the same kind of shredded, oily "cheddar/jack" that usually comes on nachos, but the bacon was good quality and not over cooked. It came with a toasted and greasy bun. Onion rings were not to my taste at all - greasy and coated with some kind of spice mixture. I finished four of them and threw the rest away. Dominion root beer on tap is as good as ever, but something with a little acid to cut all the fat would have been a better choice.

We'll go if we're visiting our friends nearby, but won't be making any special trips.

(soundtrack for lunch: Nick Cave's Abbatoir Blues. It seemed appropriate for something beefy. :o )

One nice thing is that it is a separate room, with a door and everything, but glassed so you can see in and out. Of course, on a Saturday night the place is packed with teenagers and familys, so the noise level is pretty high. The kids room might be the place to go to get some quiet. :o

The burger itself was juicy and properly cooked but was a little too compacted for my taste. I didn't have the problem of it tasting "too beefy;" quite the opposite since I ordered the "Urban BBQ" burger and the toppings (BBQ sauce, bacon, and cheese) completely obliterated the taste of the meat. The sauce was far too sweet and the cheese was the same kind of shredded, oily "cheddar/jack" that usually comes on nachos, but the bacon was good quality and not over cooked.
I too didn't like the "Urban BBQ" burger the first time I went. Today I had just your basic slice o' swiss. My medium-rare was closer to rare, but good enough. It is good quality beef for a fast-casual place. The buns do end up soaked, but I like them -- that light toasting is just to my tastes. The fries were pleasantly greasy, but a little over-seasoned for my tastes. Next time I need to remember to ask for them unseasoned. I, too, like the Dominion Root Beer on tap.

At $10, more than I will typically spend on lunch, but a great place when I'm jonesing for a burger.

Place was packed, much more so than when I went before. The Post review is still pulling them out.

Missed Heather, but ran into another Rockweiller. The place was positively crawling with them!

Missed Heather, but ran into another Rockweiller. The place was positively crawling with them!
Ian's bus was late again, so I got there at 12:45. You must have been gone already. They were still pretty jumpin and several people there were talking about the two-star review.

Next time I'll try a plain burger. It seemed like the bun had been buttered or something. Maybe that's just ambient grease from the kitchen.

The burger itself was juicy and properly cooked but was a little too compacted for my taste. I didn't have the problem of it tasting "too beefy;" quite the opposite since I ordered the "Urban BBQ" burger and the toppings (BBQ sauce, bacon, and cheese) completely obliterated the taste of the meat. The sauce was far too sweet and the cheese was the same kind of shredded, oily "cheddar/jack" that usually comes on nachos, but the bacon was good quality and not over cooked. It came with a toasted and greasy bun. Onion rings were not to my taste at all - greasy and coated with some kind of spice mixture.

That's one of the reasons I never order BBQ sauce on a burger...it tends to drown out ground beef. I had a "Frank's Favorite", med-rare, and added a bit of mustard. The Angus patties clearly tend towards the "taste the beef" school (versus the "taste the char" school) and have a good beefy flavor, but I thought they were short on texture - mixed a bit too finely, and not much of the grind texture left. Maybe this is the same thing Heather refers to viz compaction.

Mine came topped with fried O-rings and sauteed mushrooms, which led to a dripping-wet burger once assembled. The buns are oily in the same way that Fuddruckers' are; not sure if this is runoff from the burger patty, or an intentional step. I picked off my onion rings. They're beer-battered, dense and greasy, and not to my liking (especially so soon after noshing on some terrific breaded ones in a New Jersey hot dog joint on Monday). The only mustard choice is a medium yellow. On the whole, it was okay, but not fantastic...for this style of burger, I still miss the ones that Sign of the Whale (Falls Church) used to make when Bruce Sandground ran the place.

In all seriousness: all of you people obsessing over the burgers because of the name of the place have got it completely, utterly wrong. You are doing yourself a disservice if you go here and order a burger instead of the bratwurst and wings.

Let me repeat: get the bratwurst and wings. Enough about the burger already.

I am hardly dogmatic about this sort of thing. What are the wings like?

The wings are the absolute best you can get anywhere except at Urban BBQ. I often go to both places and just order the wings and a rootbeer. Big, meaty, well spiced, and finished on the grill.

The wings are the absolute best you can get anywhere except at Urban BBQ. I often go to both places and just order the wings and a rootbeer. Big, meaty, well spiced, and finished on the grill.
I meant how are they spiced? BBQ? Buffalo?

I meant how are they spiced? BBQ? Buffalo?

I don't want to give away their secrets (my son worked at Urban BBQ until he went to college) but they marinade them in a hot sauce mixture overnight, then cook them and finish them on the grill with their bbq rub. Excellent. But more importantly they are big and meaty, not the skimpy things you get some places. They are not breaded before being made either.

Hm, if it's the same spice rub that's on their onion rings, then I'll pass. What's so special about the bratwurst, alopez?

I'm having lunch there with a friend next week. Looking forward to trying another burger and some of the side dishes. The "Urban BBQ garnishes" would probably be good on a chicken breast, since they don't have a lot of flavor to start with.

At $10, more than I will typically spend on lunch, but a great place when I'm jonesing for a burger.

Place was packed, much more so than when I went before. The Post review is still pulling them out.

This says it all.

Took the girls for lunch - Very packed, and at least a few people were talking about the Post review. I did ask for medium and was on the rare side. Maybe a little too rare for my taste but had good flavor.

I did not like the seasoning on the french fries, next time will ask for them plain. My girls really liked the buns for their hot dogs. The usually take the hot dog out of the bun, but today they ate the entire bun.

Soul Rolls - ROCKED!!!

Lunch for the three of us ran about $25. A little more than I usually spend, so I would not really call it cheap eats (definitely higher prices than Five Guys). Not trying to sound cheap, but calling it like I see it.

This says it all.

Took the girls for lunch - Very packed, and at least a few people were talking about the Post review. I did ask for medium and was on the rare side. Maybe a little too rare for my taste but had good flavor.

I did not like the seasoning on the french fries, next time will ask for them plain. My girls really liked the buns for their hot dogs. The usually take the hot dog out of the bun, but today they ate the entire bun.

Soul Rolls - ROCKED!!!

Lunch for the three of us ran about $25. A little more than I usually spend, so I would not really call it cheap eats (definitely higher prices than Five Guys). Not trying to sound cheap, but calling it like I see it.

We were there tonight. It was absolutely mobbed starting at 5:30 and continued until at least 6:30. I grew up across the street from Wood Junior High just down the road and can say that this shopping center has not had a decent neighborhood restaurant in the over 30 years that it has been in existence. So UB will do well if just to have a reliable eating place for the locals.

Had the burger with garlic mushrooms, swiss and fried onions. It was excellent all the way around. Cooked to a perfect medium, good roll, large and tasty. It is clear that the Urban guys know how to source great ingredients and run first-rate restaurants between this place and Urban BBQ.

IMO, no comparison to Five Guys burgers. UB's are bigger, less greasy and made with higher class ingredients. Well worth the extra cost.

Stopped by Urban Burger yesterday and had a positive experience though I wasn't blown away. Best part was certainly the bun, which, unlike those had by earlier posters, was wonderfully firm and perfectly grilled in butter/grease. We did experience the uneven cooking of others: My wife ordered medium and I asked for medium-rare but our meat came as the same medium color. The meat also was juicy but not super flavorful. I got the mushroom swiss but actually liked my wife's avocado, provolone and lime better, though hers used up her fat allotment for the week; I'm allowed to eat again on Friday. Mac and cheese was small IMO for $2 but very cheesy, though I prefer mine less wet and more baked (just my preference). The burgers are big enough, though, that the sides are pure gluttony. As for atmosphere, we couldn't see a single "adult" working yesterday, which added a nice feeling of energy to the place but also allowed the youthful cashier to be distracted from taking our order by his strung-out teenage buddy who staggered off the street and in front of us. With the Navy memorabilia and LCD tv's showing the NCAA tournament from most viewing angles, the environment overall was cool, and the food is good enough for the masses that they should stay open for a long time.

Pax,

Brian

We went by UBC a couple of days ago. Definitely better than our first experience. Burgers were cooked properly to order, and the buns were lightly grilled and not too greasy. As mentioned by others, fries are good but overseasoned. I thought the onion rings were fine, if unexceptional. My daughter didn't leave any mac and cheese in her bowl, which means only that she received a bowl of mac and cheese. She never leaves leftovers.

My only wish is that they bump up the price of the burger a buck or two, and make the patty thicker. The size they are now, it's too easy for the burger to get overwhelmed even by a single topping, and these burgers are worth more than that.

Since it's only 10 minutes from the house, this is our go-to place for burgers when the mood strikes.

I had lunch with a friend there before leaving on my vacation, and it was better than the first time. Burger was cooked nicely to order, and I knew to skip the barbecue sauce. The blue cheese and bacon version is delicious, with the "spicy bourbon sauce" on the side and half the cheese removed before eating it. The cole slaw is respectable but needed a little salt and pepper.

They still "butter" the bun before toasting on the grill, and I continue to wish they didn't.

Tom mentioned in his chat today that Urban Burger is superior to Five Guys.

My March 3rd posting was right after Tom's review and the place was packed after 5pm. We went a few weeks ago, again on a Saturday, and made a point to get there early (5pm or so) to avoid crowds. No problem at all...even at 6:30, it was easy to find a table. But the burgers were still awesome!

From my first and only experience, the burgers and fries were underwhelming. I find the burgers at Chee Burger comparable if not better. As far as the fries, they were "dead." The seasoning was nice although the fries themselves were limp and soggy. I went with my SO and neither of us finished either the burgers or fries. I should also note that the place was very empty at the time so maybe both had been sitting for a while. I would love to try the place again and hope to have a better experience next time. Hate to be so critical on my first post but...

Took the family last week. I ordered the chiliburger and fries. My wife had the chicken sandwich. In what seems to be a growing trend in hamburger places, everything was just about totally encrusted with salt. I could not imagine what damage the human body would endure if it was forced to consume this same meal everyday for a year. Of course I ate every bite, but I doubt I will make the 3 mile trek again, and would not make a positive or negative recommendation.

Had my best meal yet there last night. My son and I stopped in around 7:30 on the way home from his baseball game in Burtonsville. We both had a burger with cheddar cheese, nothing else.

BEEF.

This is what is missing from most of the other burger places. It didn't taste like a hamburger - it tasted like beef. Whatever fine adjustment they made to the grind, or the source, or the thickness of the patty, they have it down pat right now.

Bun was just barely buttered and grilled so it had a nice crisp but wasn't greasy. Didn't get any sides, just the burger and a draft root beer. Bliss.

Went the the other day - excellent. I had a burger with provolone, cooked medium (which it was). Tasted delicious. This isn't a fancy burger (a la Palena or Central), but a real, man's burger (sorry ladies, I don't know how to better describe it).

Fries were also very good. Hand-cut and crispy with a nice seasoning.

My only complaint - and its trivial - was that it cost about $2 for a fountain drink :blink: but maybe thats the going rate these days, I just never seem to notice.

Bottom line: very good, worth every minute that I sat in traffic on Rockville Pike

My friend and I went a couple of weeks ago. Our verdict was that the burger is better than what you'll get at Five Guys/Elevation but slightly overpriced and not nearly as good as the fancy ones.

I got the So-Cal with avocado and provolone. The meat itself is high quality and definitely tasted like beef, although more salt would have made it even better. Onion rings (and dipping) are great, the fries not so much (way too limp).

I live only about 10 minutes away and probably won't bother again unless passing through or jonesing for ribs or soul rolls.

We made it there once over the summer for carry-out and were generally not disappointed. Next time I'd like to dine in, though, as we're a bit of a hoof away from the place. I'd like to eat it as soon as it is ready.

Friday a group of us went before a meeting for the second time in two months mainly because it was such a big hit the first time. I think the burgers and chili dogs (which I had for the first time Friday) are quite good though gut busting. Palena Cafe they're not, but they don't try to be either. Personally I'm not a fan of the soul rolls or wings, but to each his/her own. Overall I think they're very successful at achieving their mission and hitting their target market.

Pax,

Brian

Personally I'm not a fan of the soul rolls or wings, but to each his/her own.

Pax,

Brian

How can you not love those wings??? :( When Lee and Dave were first talking about opening a burger place, the one thing I said that they had to make sure carried over from Urban BBQ was the wings.

How can you not love those wings??? :( When Lee and Dave were first talking about opening a burger place, the one thing I said that they had to make sure carried over from Urban BBQ was the wings.

I actually tried them several months ago based on your rec. Sorry, they were just boring to me. I tend to be a Butter + Frank's or Old Bay Guy when it comes to my wings. Again, to each his/her own...

Pax,

Brian

Went there Friday night with my family between each of my sons hockey Games.

Yes the wings were very good. I lived in Buffalo for 4 years and worked next to the anchor bar. These are not true Buffalo wings but there were very good and I would order them again.

Peanuts.. Urban Bar B Que has then so does 5 Guys

Burgers..Just OK...Nothing to write home about. I'd go back but 5 guys wins with my family

Sides..French Fries and Mac n Cheese were just OK..

Went for lunch yesterday for the first time. We ordered 2 burgers cooked medium rare and got one med-well and one medium, so 0-2. I wasn't surprised that they were overcooked though because the patties are pretty thin making it tough to get the right temperature. The buns were good, except one was sopping in grease, while the other was fine. My wife got hers plain and added toppings from the fixin bar which was fine. I got the garlic mushrooms which were ok, but probably would skip next time. The fries were also pretty weak and limp. The one completely positive note was the good onion rings - crispy, properly fried with the right amount of thick breading, but not too much and thick cut pieces of onions. The spicy remoulade that comes on the side was pretty good too. If I was in the area again I'd stop by for onion rings and skip the rest.

I have been a detractor of Urban Burger (and BBQ for that matter), but since I was in the neighborhood I figured that I would give them another try. My wife and I both ordered the Black Angus burgers, plus an order of fries and rings. What struck me about the burger was the smell, it just smelled like I remember burgers smelling from my youth, there used to be this smell to burgers that I just don't find anymore, but Urban nailed it. I just wish they had nailed the flavor. Both of our burgers were devoid of any beefiness, and to add to our burger woes the patties were packed tighter than Minnesota Senate race creating a quite unpleasant texture. The fries arrived fresh from the fryer, but that was their most redeeming quality, they did not have much potato flavor, and were quite limp. Like the smell of the burgers, the onion rings captured a piece of my youth; the light Bisquick inspired coating is just how my mother used to make them, but I wish they would lose the Old Bay sprinkle, it distracts from the over-all flavor of the rings.