Dining in Centreville

I think it replaced a pho joint.

Pho Hot and Pho Bistro were the only two pho joints I knew of in Centreville. Was there another?

With Old Centreville Crossing across the street and another Korean joint up the street by Trader Joe's, a solid Korean food scene is coalescing in C'ville.

Yes, Centreville is becoming Koreatown II. There was a WaPo article a couple years ago about it. Old Centreville Crossing and both parts of Centreville Square have many choices. I've only been to a few so far. Pho Hot and Tian are my favorites of the few I've tried. I haven't been to Hwang's.

Below is a list I found on another web site. It's a post from about a year ago, so a couple of these are likely o/b and there are probably a couple new ones. But, it's an extensive list of what it's Centreville. Many of them are independent places or part of a small, local group.

Westone Plaza "“ Stonecroft Blvd

Texas Roadhouse Restaurant (Steakhouse)

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar (American)

Moe's Southwest Grill (Tex-Mex)

Quiznos (Sandwiches)

Scotto's Rigatoni Grill (Italian)

Foster's Grille (Burgers)

Eggspectation (American, Crepes)

Sully Station Shopping Center "“ Westfields Blvd

Blue Water Grille (Seafood)

Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits (Fastfood)

Hunan Chef (Chinese)

Subway (Sandwiches)

Village Center "“ Stone Rd

Vocelli Pizza (Pizza)

Pacino Ristorante Italiano (Italian)

Village Café (Sandwiches, Deli)

Quiznos (Sandwiches)

Matsui Sushi (Japanese)

McDonald's (Fast Food)

Starbucks (Coffee & Tea)

Virginia Bagel (Coffee & Tea, Bagels, Sandwiches)

Centerlee Business Park "“ Lee Hwy (Rt 29)

Dunkin' Donuts (Coffee & Tea, Donuts, Bagels)

Sue's Peking Express (Chinese)

Centreville Square I "“ Machen Rd

Fratelli Restaurant (Italian)

Rasoi of India (Indian, Pakistani)

Sino's Inn (Chinese)

Seoul Tokyo Express (Japanese, Korean)

Pho Hot (Vietnamese)

Hunter Mill Deli (Deli)

Panda Express (Chinese)

Ruby Tuesday (American)

Quiznos (Sandwiches)

Pizza Hut (Pizza)

WOW Fresh Meat

zpizza

Pancheros Mexican Grill (Mexican)

Tropical Smoothie Cafe (Wraps, sandwiches, smoothies)

Centreville Square II "“ Centrewood Dr

Little Joe's Pizza & Subs (Pizza)

Sho-Chiku Japanese and Korean Restaurant (Japanese)

Tian Chinese Cusine (Chinese)

Masala Country Restaurant (Indian, Pakistani)

Shilla Patisserie & Café (Bakery, Korean, Sandwiches)

Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries (Burgers)

Two Amigos (Latin American, Mexican) [Closed, I think]

Pyung Rae Oak Korean BBQ Grill (Korean)

Pho Bistro (Vietnamese)

Kabob Express (Afghani)

Oriental Express (Chinese)

Ciro's New York Pizza (Pizza)

Centrewood Plaza "“ St. Germain Dr

Subway (Sandwiches)

Starbucks (Coffee & Tea)

Tippy's Taco House (Mexican)

Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits (Fastfood)

Charlie Chiang's (Chinese, Sushi Bar, Asian Fusion)

Shade Tree Restaurant & Sports Pub (Sports Bar, Burgers, Sandwiches)

Centre Ridge Marketplace "“ Multiplex Dr

Mangino's Pizza (Pizza)

Bangkok City (Thai)

Castillo Café (Mexican)

Young Chow Café (Chinese)

Bonefish Grill (Seafood)

Sweetwater Tavern (American)

Ned Devine's Irish Pub Restaurant (Pubs, Irish)

Sully Road, Rte 28

McDonald's (Fast Food)

Burger King (Fast Food)

Alto Plaza Restaurant and Lounge (Fine Dining)

Old Centreville Crossing "“ Braddock Rd

Dinner Done (Specialty)

Hah M B BQ

New Great Wall Restaurant (Chinese)

Red Rocks Cafe and Tequila Bar (Mexican)

Little Italy Deli (Deli)

Glory Days Grill (American)

Café Martini (Lounge)

Gom Tang E

Dairy Queen (Ice Cream)

Lulu Café

Papa John's Pizza (Pizza)

Cheogajip Chicken (Korean, Chicken)

Tae Hwa Won

IHOP (Breakfast, Burgers, Sandwiches)

Sushi Sashimi

Pickwick Square "“ Pickwick Rd

Bella Pizza (Pizza)

O'Tooles Roadhouse Restaurant (American)

Fortune Gourmet

Lee Highway (Rt 29)

Hwang's Tofu (Korean)

Newgate Shopping Center "“ Lee Hwy (Rt 29)

Domino's Pizza (Pizza)

Fast Eddie's Billard Café (Night club)

Preet Palace (Indian, Pakistani)

Soo Won Galbi (Korean, Japanese)

Trinity Centre -Trinity Pkwy

Redrock Canyon Grill (American)

Carrabba's Italian Grill (Italian)

Austin Grill (Tex-Mex)

The Colonade at Union Mill "“ Union Mill Rd

Panera Bread (Deli, Sandwiches)

Rosemary's Thyme Bistro (Mediterranean Kitchen)

McDonald's (Fast Food)

Starbucks (Coffee & Tea)

Subway (Sandwiches)

China Express (Chinese)

Manhattan Bagel (Deli)

Outback Steakhouse (American)

KFC (Fast Food)

Wonderful. Let me chime in with Jake and try to choke back my fear of how many times short smoked salmon will appear on the menu. Not to mention those horrific sun dried cranberries and far too much salt in every side dish. Romano's Macaroni Grill and Olive Garden are likely to dish up more inspired food than this place....

GAR restaurants represent lone bastions of decent non-Asian food in the five mile radius of culinary desolation which, remarkably, has my house at its epicenter. Plus the efficiency with which they're run makes me weep sublime tears at the majesty of human achievement that has led us to this road.

GAR restaurants represent lone bastions of decent non-Asian food in the five mile radius of culinary desolation which, remarkably, has my house at its epicenter. Plus the efficiency with which they're run makes me weep sublime tears at the majesty of human achievement that has led us to this road.

Fair point. I know the area somewhat. But I'll say this -- for Asian, you have Sakoontra, which is in my northern Virginia Thai rotation. And for non-Asian, you have the underappreciated Blue Iguana, where chef Eric Robinson is going to end up as a top toque someday at a name restaurant, and where the quarterly wine-pairing dinners are must-attend events. And you also have Tony's Pizza in Fair Lakes. Not to mention Wegman's down Rt. 29. I would hardly call your area a wasteland.

Fair point. I know the area somewhat. But I'll say this -- for Asian, you have Sakoontra, which is in my northern Virginia Thai rotation. And for non-Asian, you have the underappreciated Blue Iguana, where chef Eric Robinson is going to end up as a top toque someday at a name restaurant, and where the quarterly wine-pairing dinners are must-attend events. And you also have Tony's Pizza in Fair Lakes. Not to mention Wegman's down Rt. 29. I would hardly call your area a wasteland.

Not sure what area is the wasteland, but based on these recommendations there is a very good (vegetarian) Indian place called Saravana Palace that is near the Wegman's.

As for the wine-pairing dinners at Blue Iguana, are the wines better than what is on their current web site list?

The Zpizza and Pancheros are already out of business. Who'd of thought, putting a pizza place in a shopping center with not one, not two, not three but 4 other pizza places may have been a bad idea.

We tried the Masala Country on friday because we had a coupon. Maybe I am missing something with indo-chinese fusion cooking but I couldn't have been more dissapointed. We had some chop-suey dish which essentially was an ommlette in a pool of ketchup. We also got the thai fried rice while not horrible, wasn't really good either. The Basmatti rice didn't leand itself well to the preparation. Admitedly we may not have ordered to the strength of the meny but we were in a hurry. My wife is willing to give them another try so we may go back. Is their anything I am missing that we should order there?

Also, for decent stripmall indian, Rasoi of India is suprisingly solid. They have replaced Bombay Cafe in Fairfax as my cheap but good indian buffet joint.

Good to know about Rasoi. I always gravitate towards Pho Hot whenever I'm over there and just haven't given it a try. I think I've heard a few good reports now.

Is that Kabob House Food Corner coming soon (the Pancheros spot, I think) the same as the local chain in Annandale? If so, that could be good news.

Cross Pho Hot off the list of decent Centreville grub. I stopped by today and they were closed. A new Pho place would be replacing them. Sunrise. Sunset.

Also,

Des

I had not been to Sino's in about 10 years after a bad meal we had there. We got carryout that was not horrible, almost but not quite good. It is notable because I have yet to really have decent Chinese food in Centreville. What was intriguing about Sino's is the menu had a lot of hong kong style items on the menu.

Drove through the Spa World shopping center and didn't see Honey Pig. But it's definitely on the sign facing 29. There's one spot with a coming soon sign, but the rest of the sign is in Korean so I'm not sure what it is. I did quickly walk through Hanaro Food (in the same shopping center) the other day. It's a much cleaner and nicer space than the one time I went to Grand Mart. They have aisles and aisles of Korean and Japanese specialty food. They also have plenty of the "American" brand name grocery items like any other grocery store. There may have been a few other cuisines (I know I saw some Vietnamese labeled items), but those were the two most prominent. Anchovies were everywhere. They had a bin of live blue crabs for $0.99 per pound. They looked pretty small, though. There's an area with small appliances which I'm pretty sure included kimchi makers. There a couple restaurants inside and a bakery.

Pho Duong has taken over Pho Hot's spot and appeared to be open when I drove by yesterday. Korshi has taken over O'Toole's place.

Is it because the rent is too damn high?

Funny. I spoke to an owner of another business in the complex and that may not be too far from the truth. Rents have been steadily rising there even though they do not have full occupancy and businesses there have been dropping like flies.

The people from BBQ Chicken and Beer will be thrilled.

Also, Scotto's Riggatoni Grill is closed. It is being replaced by an Argentinian place.

What Scotto's is this? The one in Westfields? We used to go there all the time when my kids were in daycare over there. Can't say it was great food, but it sufficed. So they are down to one in Brambleton, I guess.

Indeed, the one in Westfields. Horrible location but it was very solid pizza annd occassionally good pasta. The cheesy breadsticks were always good. Last time I was there I fgured out why. They were deep fried. No wonder they were good.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the Argentinian place. Having two young kids and two working parents there is a lot of carry out in the rotation.

A couple quick notes about Centreville;

1) Anybody know why Fratelli's Italian Restaurant closed? Really, really solid red sauce Italian. Chicken lasagne to die for. Nicest group of people running it. But it was always empty...hey, wait a minute...that might be my answer, right there. Seriously, anyone with any inside scoop know what's up? I see there's already a Thai restaurant that has moved in.

2) After years of always going to Charlie Chiang's we heard about Sino's and got take out. Entire restaurant was packed tonight. Overall pretty happy with what we got. The Peking Duck was to die for. Hot & Sour soup was appropriately both hot and sour. So many places make a bland, boring, tofu laden H&S soup, that I can often tell if I'll like a place by that soup.

buzzy

A couple quick notes about Centreville;

1) Anybody know why Fratelli's Italian Restaurant closed? Really, really solid red sauce Italian. Chicken lasagne to die for. Nicest group of people running it. But it was always empty...hey, wait a minute...that might be my answer, right there. Seriously, anyone with any inside scoop know what's up? I see there's already a Thai restaurant that has moved in.

That location seems horrible.

Glad to hear there's a Thai place. I'm enjoying all the Korean places, but it's nice to have something different open. For Centreville, that makes this new place and Bangkok City. I've had some decent meals at Bangkok City, but I'd still prefer to make the trip to Chantilly for Thai Basil. Maybe this new place will help raise the Thai bar in Centreville.

I've never seen anyone at that Thai place.... Being a Centreville resident I thought I'd give props to where I normally eat.

Pizza - Ciros is good but for carry out or delivery I prefer Brick's Pizza. The ingredients are always good and it is cheaper than Ciros. They deliver as well so it beats the heck out of Dominos or the other delivery options.

Thai - Thai by PK is new and really quite solid. http://www.thaicuisinebypkva.com/

Kabob - If I am not venturing to Chantilly, Food Corner Kabob House is my go to place. Good food, friendly and my kids will eat anything on the menu.

Mexican - In the rubble of the old Shade (Shadey Tree) - I've been twice -It has potential

Pho Aura - Technically this is Chantilly but for lunch they offer some excellent Ban Minh.

Indian Ocean - Opened on Stone Road. Standard Indian cuisine. Very solid.

• Like 1

Although the 5.5-year-old list (the very first post in this thread) is surely out of date anyway, I made the changes below for you.

dgreen, I'm *happy* to set you up with authority so you can change this Centreville thread anytime you like. Write me, and we'll get this figured out. Your palate and location would be invaluable to Centreville residents.

If you (or someone else) wants to be our Centreville "mayor," just let me know, and I'll put you in charge of this thread. For me, keeping up with the Centreville portion of the Dining Guide is more than enough - if there's a thread on it, it gets in there; if there's just a one-line mention in *this* thread, I can't justify its inclusion. (In other words, always try and start threads for individual restaurants if you have the time!) Please:

1) Either list a bunch of restaurants, like ulrath did just above (and like dgreen did in Post #1), or

2) Write an expanded report about a single restaurant, like lperry did with Indian Ocean which got split into a separate thread.

At your service,

Rocks

I was going to edit the first post to add new places and closings, but apparently I can't do that.

To the best of my knowledge, the following does not currently exist:

Centreville Square II "“ Centrewood Dr
Two Amigos (Latin American, Mexican)

Three to add would be:

Centreville Square I "“ Machen Rd
WOW Fresh Meat
Pancheros Mexican Grill (Mexican)
Tropical Smoothie Cafe (Wraps, sandwiches, smoothies)

There's now a zpizza a few doors down from Pho Hot, next to WOW Fresh Meat.