Any Vendors Selling Peas at Farmers Markets?

The link Anna Blume posted in the "pinned section" showed that Green Peas aren't in season until early June. So, I guess that'll be soon. Last year, at the Falls Church farmers market, the Leedstown, VA farm had them. But, I recall that wasn't until the summertime, either.

I've been around a few markets of late and haven't seen them yet.

Has anyone seen fresh strawberries? I pop into the Takoma Park market every Sunday but no luck yet.

Got some a couple of weeks ago at DuPont.

As for peas DuPont will certainly have them once they are in season. Probably a couple of more weeks.

Does anyone know of a farm vendor selling peas at farmers markets this season? I'd love to get my hands on some fresh peas but haven't come across any yet. Thanks!
Three Way Farm (I think that's the right name) had wonderful sugar snap peas at the Del Ray Market on Saturday. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but they might hold you over until the sweet peas come into season.

They also had strawberries, as did another (new) vendor at the same market.

Perhaps we should resurrect the seasonal threads that DonRocks started to organize. Weather shapes each growing season, but if someone is willing to list new and continuing foods s/he spies during a trip to the local market next week, and someone else the week after that, we'd have a wealth of public service announcements that would be useful in the years ahead.

Shaw Girl, you should read the lengthy lists marketfan posts before each of her markets, and subscribe to the e-newsletter that FRESHFARM Markets sends out each week, usually with lists of new foods.

And Janet, you'll find quite a few reports of strawberries over the past few weeks in this forum; monavano offered the first sightings complete with pictures. We're smack in the middle of the season in W VA, MD and VA with strawberries just about to emerge from southern PA this week or the next. Supply much greater than demand this past Sunday at Dupont Circle.

Few local farmers bother to grow English peas (or shelling peas) because they are a bloody pain. Gardener's Gourmet offers pea shoots and pea vines in galvanized buckets that taste just like peas when sautéed or turned into soup. They're at the market now.

This past week, Tree & Leaf had a very limited supply of snowpeas (they're at three markets including Mt. Pleasant and Dupont Circle).

Thanks for the tips! I had read on a few local food blogs about peas being in season now, so I was curious as to where they were getting them. I know strawberries are popping up everywhere now. Last week I saw them at Bloomingdale, 14th & U and Foggy Bottom Farmers Markets.

PA this week or the next. Supply much greater than demand this past Sunday at Dupont Circle.

Few local farmers bother to grow English peas (or shelling peas) because they are a bloody pain. Gardener's Gourmet offers pea shoots and pea vines in galvanized buckets that taste just like peas when sautéed or turned into soup. They're at the market now.\.

This is a dirty lie. No matter how you cook pea shoots, they taste like some foul weed that grows up between the cracks of a gum-stained sidewalk in a bad part of town, that some vegan friend foisted on you.

Farmers no longer grow peas because America has lost its moral fiber and the legendary pea-pickers of old have gone the way of the buffalo, leaving only Goldless rural indigents and the kind of stoned English majors who'd rather read comic books -- sorry, graphic novels -- and swim naked than do the hard work of bending over in the hot sun and bringing God's green bounty to my markets.

Cynda (Sinda? Cinda? Who knows these things?) says these slackers have been know to actually work a whole day and, even though they have not been paid, refuse to return to pick peas the following morng.

Damn communists is what they are.

For some reason, Arlington always seems to get peas first.

This is a dirty lie. No matter how you cook pea shoots, they taste like some foul weed that grows up between the cracks of a gum-stained sidewalk in a bad part of town, that some vegan friend foisted on you.

So, I am not the only one to think that pea shoots are not worth much.

I bought thin tendrils of pea shoots the first week they came out because they tasted so freaking fresh and good straight out of the bucket.

Still damn good tangled up and around all those arms, legs and claws of two crispy, sweet soft shell crabs that night and that's no lie.

Anyone who can't appreciate a cantaloupe or beets should go chew garlic scapes...

Un spectre hante l'Europe...

Well, I love shelling peas. I hate growing the plants though. They take up so much space and produce surprising little finished product when you get down to it. Maybe I will try again next year with a different growing mechanism.

I just received the latest newsletter for the 14th & U Farmers Market and there will be shelled English peas this Saturday! They warned, however, to come early. Unfortunately, I cannot make it this Saturday because I'm doing my first tandem skydive that morning. But I'm excited to know a vendor at 14th & U sells them (and already shelled)!

So, I am not the only one to think that pea shoots are not worth much.
I am not a fan either.
I just received the latest newsletter for the 14th & U Farmers Market and there will be shelled English peas this Saturday! They warned, however, to come early. Unfortunately, I cannot make it this Saturday because I'm doing my first tandem skydive that morning. But I'm excited to know a vendor at 14th & U sells them (and already shelled)!
I hope this isn't the only week they have them. Peas season seems to last a couple of weeks.

I am not a fan either.

I hope this isn't the only week they have them. Peas season seems to last a couple of weeks.

Pea season goes quick. And, since the sugars in peas turn to starch rapidly, I have a deep distrust of peas already shelled. Besides, sitting on the porch shelling them yourself always seems so perfect.

Those who haven't tried might want to look up the Keller pea soup recipe. A perfect, if labor intensive, late-spring dish. And, if you leave off the Parmesan crisp, perfect for your annoying hippie vegan friends.

Yup - I'm eating them at my desk right now.

I can't remember the name of the vendor - if you enter from the south side, they're on the same side as the bread guys and Dolcezza, and I think they're just one (maybe two?) down from the bread guys.

There were peas (shelled) at West End Farmers Market last week. I'm heading down there now...come, join!

I think I'll try out West End next Sunday, but thanks for reminding me about it! I finally found peas though! They had them at Bloomingdale this morning!

There's a farm stand on Old Gunpowder Road near the Powder Mill Rd Exit off of I-95 in MD. I have been going there for years for good fresh farm goods, much of which they grow right there. The rest comes mostly locally or semi-locally. Sometimes they carry stuff from further abroad, but only when nothing or not much is in season locally.

Anyway, was not willing to schlepp to Larriland to pick strawberries after it rained so much this morning early so bought strawberries here. Accidentally noticed they had English peas there as well! Already made soup and will partake of it on Tuesday night once the flavors have properly melded.

Gotta love Spring!

I think I'll try out West End next Sunday, but thanks for reminding me about it! I finally found peas though! They had them at Bloomingdale this morning!
If you do want shelled peas, it's probably best to head out there a bit later than when it opens at 9. I think they shell them after they get there, so they need a bit of time.

The yummy honey crisp apples, though, need no prep. Yum!

I finally found peas though! They had them at Bloomingdale this morning!
Just finished my second bowl-added a little fresh savory. Not quite as sweet as I would like but it is early in the season. At $3.00 for a pint it's hard to be the price. The same stand is at 14th on Saturdays.

Had the Keller soup today. Not what it might have been, given the two-day gap between buying and eating, but brilliant, nonetheless. Last eve of school for the girl, first day of internship for the boy, I just got back from a couple of nights sleeping on the ground in west Virginia, the way God meant us to live. Tasted like summer. Thanks, Mrs B.

I've always liked pea soup better than plain old peas, possibly because all the labor is done before dinner, and then you can relax and scoop up the soup with a spoon, rather than chasing peas around the plate (assuming no mashed potatoes) with your fork.

Anyone else familiar with brilliant verse:

I eat my peas with honey

I've done it all my life

It makes the peas taste funny

But it keeps them on my knife

Before there were Cheerios, there were peas.

Chasing soft, bright green peas around on a tray is fun for the non-verbal crowd and still a pleasure when you've gone polysyllabic, graduated to plates and can bury them under mash w a spoon.

Before and/or after the white-food phase, lots of kids love peas the same way this phrase loved monosyllabic words till half way through: sized for their small hands; no need to chew.

Risi e bisi is always good, though tonight what I think I'll do is make my favorite rice-noodle pilaf which is best left to sit ten minutes, tea towel under lid, after it's done. When the rest is almost over, I'll throw peas in on the top where the steaming grains provide a nice little botanical sauna, then a few minutes later, toss to mix.

Before there were Cheerios, there were peas.

Chasing soft, bright green peas around on a tray is fun for the non-verbal crowd and still a pleasure when you've gone polysyllabic, graduated to plates and can bury them under mash w a spoon.

Before and/or after the white-food phase, lots of kids love peas the same way this phrase loved monosyllabic words till half way through: sized for their small hands; no need to chew.

Risi e bisi is always good, though tonight what I think I'll do is make my favorite rice-noodle pilaf which is best left to sit ten minutes, tea towel under lid, after it's done. When the rest is almost over, I'll throw peas in on the top where the steaming grains provide a nice little botanical sauna, then a few minutes later, toss to mix.

Frozen peas are hugely popular with my little guy. Fresh peas from the farmers market? Not so much!

Frozen peas are hugely popular with my little guy. Fresh peas from the farmers market? Not so much!
Go figure. When we were young, my cousins used to eat them frozen as treats. Me, I preferred the elegant Le Seur variety. Petite, olive green and canned! Soft and squishable.

Since I need to buy fresh English peas on Saturday, tomorrow, I have at least 4 choices of producer-only farmers markets that are accessible to a carless DC resident: Arlington, U & 14th St., H St. & Silver Spring.

Anyone know which might be most promising in my quest?

Since I need to buy fresh English peas on Saturday, tomorrow, I have at least 4 choices of producer-only farmers markets that are accessible to a carless DC resident: Arlington, U & 14th St., H St. & Silver Spring.

Anyone know which might be most promising in my quest?

Rebbie's e-mail from Mt. Pleasant Mkt says Richfield should have them.

Rebbie's e-mail from Mt. Pleasant Mkt says Richfield should have them.

And if for whatever reason you can't find any at Mount Pleasant, Garner's Produce at 14th & U is also supposed to have them (and it's not too far from Mount Pleasant).

Thanks, marketfan! 4 quarts. Kudos to Mrs. B, too, for her terrific, fresh Pea shooters.

I understand Farm at Sunnyside sold its new batch of English peas on Sunday, so I am hoping there will be more at Penn Quarter on Thursday.

In honor of Monica Bhide's new cookbook, I thought you all might appreciate this link to 101 Cookbooks and what sounds delicious: Chile Pea Puffs!