Joe's Noodle House

deangold

I would like to go, but I have no idea what you mean. Are you saying you will do the ordering and others' preferences will not be accepted?
Yeah. Exactly. Not really , but all the dishes will be spicy. This is not a meal for those needing balance in their meal! The last one of these we had someone complain that there was "too much spicy food". If this sentance is in your common usage, this is not the night for you.

We can do another event for a more balanced approach.

Yeah. Exactly. Not really , but all the dishes will be spicy. This is not a meal for those needing balance in their meal! The last one of these we had someone complain that there was "too much spicy food". If this sentance is in your common usage, this is not the night for you.

We can do another event for a more balanced approach.

It is absurd to think that your spiciness is the only way. I don't aspire to hit the top of the Scoville scale. But what makes you think that your taste for spice matches mine or others'? The spiciness doesn't put me off, the autocracy does. But count me in, and I assume you'll let me order for you the next time.

Don't worry, Stephen, when Dean has his back turned, I'll put in an order with Audrey for a couple of non-spicy dishes to balance things out.

Dean, ok if I move the coordination to the $20 Tuesday thread?

Oh, and the date works for me, so I'm in.

Don't worry, Stephen, when Dean has his back turned, I'll put in an order with Audrey for a couple of non-spicy dishes to balance things out.

Daniel, I don't wan't to avoid spicy food -- that's not the point. But there are some spicy foods I am weary of -- for instance, JNH's H-20, which has lost its mystery after many tastings. I hope this conversastion doesn't mark me as someone who steers away from la comida piquante. That's far from the case.

Dinner at Joes. No questions asked, no mercy shall be shown.

Wednesday June 24 7:00pm. I believe the largest table holds 12.

Dean

Daniel K

Ken & Yoon Hee

Mike Ollinger

K Mango +1

Stephen B

Fuzzy 510

Sphere 777

Eroica38

Comestibles

Wait List

Monte (No1Uno)

Tweaked

We are at 12. I have yet to check to see if there is a larger table. But for now, I will autocratically start a waiting list. :D

I will be talking with Audrey tomorrow about possibly getting some special dishes, off menu items or advance order items. WIll post more as I know it.

We are at 12. I have yet to check to see if there is a larger table. But for now, I will autocratically start a waiting list. :D

There's not a larger table, but no reason why we couldn't take up more than one table if Audrey is willing. And 12 at that large table? That's a bit of a stretch. I think 10 would require everyone to keep elbows tight to the body...

Audrey is happy to have us and she is getting her chef to do an authentic Schezuan spicy feast. Her word when I said we wanted authentically spicy food were "we can do that!" and I could hear the smile and delight in her voice. I think she is taking this as a personal challenge to wow us!

She also wants us to keep it to one table of 12 so they can make sure our food is great. It will range from tofu to pig intestine and probaly involve a whole fish.

So if you are signed up and cannot make it, let me know so we can make sure that 12 people show up. Thanks!!!

I'm definitely bummed that I can't make this....going around the beltway around 6 is INSANE!!

Eric, I make this trip every single day. From 50&495, the rush hour trip to Joe's is about 45 minutes on an average day, but no more than 60 unless there's lane-closing accidents.

Your trip back shouldn't be more than 20-25 minutes.

For those of you coming from NoVa, here's a trick if the traffic is barely moving once you cross the Legion bridge: instead of staying on 495 and getting on to 270, and then off at Montrose Rd. east, get off at River Rd going west, and take the first right on to Seven Locks Rd. This runs parallel to 270 all the way to Montrose Rd, where you take a right and head to the Pike to go north to Joe's. There are lights and a 35mph limit on Seven Locks, but if 270 is crawling, it'll save you 5-10 minutes, and it's certainly a more pleasant drive.

To review: spiciness is not an absolute. Two peppers from the same pod can have different values. An individual consumer can react diffferently to the same substance on different days. In eating spicy food, your machismo is not at stake. (For women: hembrismo.) Yes, pain can be interpreted in some circumstances as pleasure -- because we wouldn't know one without the other. But too much pain is never pleasurable for sane people. Spiciness can be meaured by the well-known Scoville Scale, named after the chemist, Wilbur Scoville, who devised the test a century ago. Those items in Latin, African, Asian and Sub-Continent cuisine that make us tear up and sweat are usually in the 1,000 range, but Scoville has measured up to 15 million -- the bhut jolokia, an Indian pepper. The hottest thing I have ever tasted was an innocuous looking little pink thing handed to me in Guatemala. The great thing about Joe's is that the food is spiced, but it never goes over the line.

Dinner at Joes. No questions asked, no mercy shall be shown.

Wednesday June 24 7:00pm. I believe the largest table holds 12.

Dean

Daniel K

Ken & Yoon Hee

Mike Ollinger

K Mango +1

Stephen B

Fuzzy 510

Sphere 777

Eroica38

Comestibles

Wait List

Monte (No1Uno)

Tweaked

just Scot Johnson one person :D

Early Qing Dynasty apparel only please!

here is the menu....

small dishes to include

duck feet in peppercorn sauce

beef, tendon & tripe in hot sauce

orange flavor rabbit

smelt with peanuts

hot long peppers with spicy/venegar

edamamde tofu & mustard green

sweet & sour cabbage

ong choy with garlic

whole fish with black bean sauce & mung bean jelly

fish filet with sour cabbage & noodle (not h20 but h25)

dry saute beef

spciy & tasty tofu

dry saute pork intestines (audrey's favorite!)

tibetab lamb

chicken & eggplant with salted fish sauce {as Audrey put it, some may find it smells a bit... or was that a bit odd?}

pickle pepper sauce with calamari, shrimp & scallop

something with kidney & liver, maybe yu-shiang???

Come hungry, and if you can't come, PM me so someone else can!

One thing dr.com has awakened me to is the existence of proprietors who want to discourage too much business. This select group includes Peter Chang, Michael Landrum and, now, Audrey from Joe's. You could argue that these are the best of the best -- devoted artistes -- who would rather sacrifice revenue than quality. But there is something weirdly counter-intuitive about it.

One thing dr.com has awakened me to is the existence of proprietors who want to discourage too much business. This select group includes Peter Chang, Michael Landrum and, now, Audrey from Joe's.

How you can include Michael in this category is beyond me. Between RTS and RHB alone, I assure you there are days that he's doing 1,500 covers. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but to say he's discouraging business is completely opposite from the truth. Sacrificing revenue?! Good Lord, man - wake up.

One thing dr.com has awakened me to is the existence of proprietors who want to discourage too much business. This select group includes Peter Chang, Michael Landrum and, now, Audrey from Joe's. You could argue that these are the best of the best -- devoted artistes -- who would rather sacrifice revenue than quality. But there is something weirdly counter-intuitive about it.
Again, Audrey is asking us to keep it to 12 is it is the largest group she can do THIS menu for and maintain her desired quality level. I think that should be explanation enough without impugning the reputation of a hard working Restaruant owner who is giving us a great deal {$25 per person plus tax & tip}

Very true Dean. My apologies for suggesting it. I will go back to lurking and drooling on the wait list

Again, Audrey is asking us to keep it to 12 is it is the largest group she can do THIS menu for and maintain her desired quality level. I think that should be explanation enough without impugning the reputation of a hard working Restaruant owner who is giving us a great deal {$25 per person plus tax & tip}

I just spoke to Audrey one more time. She talked to her chefs. She is willing to go to 18 people at one table of 10 and one of 8. But this is the maximum. I will adjust the guest list. Please be very understanding if this slows down the dinner.

Here is the guest list:

Dean

Daniel K

Ken & Yoon Hee

Mike Ollinger

K Mango +1

Stephen B

Fuzzy 510

Sphere 777

Eroica38

Comestibles

Wait List no more!

Monte (No1Uno)

Tweaked

just Scot Johnson one person who is now three (please explain the physics of this, I am sure there is a Nobel Prize in quantum physics in here somewhere)

Room for 1 3 more only!!!

We can do this at Hong Kong Palace or China Star. Just pick a date!
I too would love to come to a dinner someone else arranges at either, but I am more interested in China Star as I have not been before. Wednesdays are usually good for Kay and I.

I too would love to come to a dinner someone else arranges at either, but I am more interested in China Star as I have not been before. Wednesdays are usually good for Kay and I.

I would respectfully request a Tuesday or a Thursday, but I will acquiesce to the coordinator. I've been to China Star only once and it was a holy experience.