Is a Wrap a Sandwich?

Toogs

This topic is being hotly debated on a non-food forum I participate in, so I thought I would bring it here. Anyway, the question is simple, but defend your answer. Thanks!

Why, dare I ask, is this being hotly debated? I cannot figure out why it matters much.

Why, dare I ask, is this being hotly debated? I cannot figure out why it matters much.

You'd have to know the message board to really understand, but let's just say "why it matters" is never, ever, much of a consideration there.

A wrap is disgusting :) a sandwich is a thing of beauty, especially if someone you love prepares if for you. :D

I tend to agree-not my cup of tea, so to speak. The redundancy of the wrap is a pet peeve of mine. Some bites are all wrap and I wind up picking the excess off. It drives Mr. MV to distraction-he just doesn't get it!

I do the same with burritos too, come to think of it.

That said, I do wind up making them from time to time as they lend themselves to hold and cold fillings neatly, and they're easy to eat on the go.

So I guess I'm in the wrap is not a sandwich camp, not that it matters what you call it!

(I'm guessing the food board alluded to is CH, where pressing topics such as "What's your favorite x,y,z?" and "What did your German-Irish-Lithuanian-Polish-Italian Grandmother make when you were a child?" are dithered over)

If it's not a sandwich, what is it?

A paste-y flour tortilla filled with stuff that should be on real bread. :)

An empanada is not a sandwich nor is a pasty or a beef patty or a burrito or for that matter sushi, though all are filled food items which may be eaten without knife and fork.

A wrap is a wrap, that's why it is called a wrap. Sandwiches are topping sandwiched between two pieces of bread, not wrapped around in a wrap. Just my two cents.

Ah, so are open-faced sandwiches still sandwiches if there is only one piece of bread?

The first wraps I ever encountered were on lavash, which is a bread, not a tortilla. So to me, that made them sandwiches.

Ah, so are open-faced sandwiches still sandwiches if there is only one piece of bread?

I don't care for open-faced "sandwiches" I'm also in total crank mode today. :)

Lavash is better than tortillas but only just in my book. If it is rolled or wrapped I think it is not sandwiched. The oracle has spoken.

Is a hot dog a sandwich, being that it is nestled within a single unit of bread rather than "sandwiched" between two pieces?

A hot dog is no more a sandwich then is a hamburger (though a HB does qualify technically speaking). They are each sui generis. I'm pretty Hegelian with regards to the matter of sandwiches I suppose.

Some might ask if a burrito is a wrap, which I must say it is. Now is a burrito a sandwich? Hmm

I think you will find that the Burrito predated warps by a long shot so it might be proper to call a warp a generalization/extension of a burrito.

I have never thought of a hot dog as a sandwich. I am of the "sausage on a split roll" camp. And is lox and cream cheese on a bagel actually a sandwich? I think not.

Bit we are losing the war. Just as Latin style dim sum or Northern Chinese style dim sum are not dim sum, the evolving usage of language is something that will continue and wraps and open faced creations probably fall in the generalization of sandwich as a generic term. By that I mean a sandwich shop offering a wrap will not be considered "false advertising" in calling itself a sandwich shop. But I don't think you will see the warp itself called a sandwich unless it is served between two slices of bread.

I think you will find that the Burrito predated warps by a long shot so it might be proper to call a warp a generalization/extension of a burrito.

I have never thought of a hot dog as a sandwich. I am of the "sausage on a split roll" camp. And is lox and cream cheese on a bagel actually a sandwich? I think not.

Bit we are losing the war. Just as Latin style dim sum or Northern Chinese style dim sum are not dim sum, the evolving usage of language is something that will continue and wraps and open faced creations probably fall in the generalization of sandwich as a generic term. By that I mean a sandwich shop offering a wrap will not be considered "false advertising" in calling itself a sandwich shop. But I don't think you will see the warp itself called a sandwich unless it is served between two slices of bread.

Fight the power! A bagel is a bagel, if it has toppings it is a bagel with toppings. A open faced sandwich is not a sandwich which is why they have to explain it, like saying bagel sandwich, if you have to explain why it is a sandwich, it isn't.

Fight the power! A bagel is a bagel, if it has toppings it is a bagel with toppings. A open faced sandwich is not a sandwich which is why they have to explain it, like saying bagel sandwich, if you have to explain why it is a sandwich, it isn't.

I think an opened faced sandwich is still a sandwich. Don't know what else you'd call it? A smothered bread? :D Is the opened faced version like the sound of one hand clapping?

Now, is a club sandwich a sandwich, what with 3 slices of bread? (yeah, it is)

My head hurts... :)

I think an opened faced sandwich is still a sandwich. Don't know what else you'd call it? A smothered bread? :D Is the opened faced version like the sound of one hand clapping?

Now, is a club sandwich a sandwich, what with 3 slices of bread? (yeah, it is)

My head hurts... :)

Have you ever heard one referred to as a Patty Melt Sandwich?

Have you ever heard one referred to as a Patty Melt Sandwich?

No, I don't believe so.

I think the name (open faced) fits, for me. And, it is a different animal than a hearty sandwich that fills the digits with infinite possibilities. I look at the opened face sandwich as a blue plate special sort of meal, like meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Perhaps not befitting most worthy sandwiches, it should be served on much-maligned white bread (perhaps deservingly so). That way, the meat, the gravy and the bread all meld together. Unlike other sandwiches and hamburgers, where the bread needs to stand the test of time from firs bite to last bite, the sooner the white bread succombs to the gravy, the better!

I am sure its only a matter of time before Jack in the Box comes out with a deep fried patty melt wrap!

And BBQ ribs must be served on two slices of Wonder Bread or Colonial Pride or something similar. It is there only to sponge up the grease. And not, that does not make it a BBQ sandwich! AndPulled BBQ is best on a wimpy hamburger bun with a mustardy coleslaw ala Mr. Dee's BBQ just outside of Pittsburg Landing {Shiloh Battlefield} in Tennessee.

If the Earl of Sandwich had been born in Central Eurasia, he likely would have called for his meat to be placed within the confines of lavash, creating a wrap. And now we'd be arguing if slapping something between two pieces of bread would be a proper "sandwich" or if it was really a "slab."