Derek Brown Talks Back to Yelp

zoramargolis

It's in the topmost post. :)

:) You lost me.

I looked through only one person's reviews, the woman who wrote about CityZen. When you do that, you get a sense of the person that puts any specific review in a different context, though it's obviously not possible to do that on a mass scale. (Her review of the Arlington County Detention Center is hilarious.) She loves Restaurant Eve, Montmarte, and the late Locanda and also has given high marks to 1789 and Marcel's. She hated RTS because she thought she got terrible service. (Her story sounded a bit exaggerated, I must say.)

She found CityZen very lacking in comparison to Eve. In any case, her 2 stars for CityZen seemed to have much to do with disliking the service, particularly the wine service. She didn't care for the offered wine pairings for her tasting 3-course menu and wanted them to suggest others, which they didn't. She didn't find much of the food to be exciting but didn't grade it down any further than she did because the appetizers were "memorable."

In the end, I'm not sure that the quoted commentary on the type of people she perceived to go there is really representative of her review, though she did use quite a lot of superfluous caps elsewhere in the piece :).

Edited by Pat

While I agree 100% with the critique of Yelpers, it's not hard to look at the Columbia Room page and something that might have inspired this article.

To be fair, if my spot was bashed in a lengthy screed on a highly trafficked site by a 24 year old who doles out fawning praise to H Street bars like candy to trick-or-treaters, I'd want to respond too.

I do think there are a couple amplifying factors with yelp today in DC. One, that smartphones have completely hit their stride and lend apps/websites like Yelp a lot of power because of their ease of use (and if there's a smartphone USA it's here). Two, DC is a transient town so many people don't develop the same kind of context/perspective that long-time residents enjoy--i.e. they're perpetually consulting get-info-quick-type sources like Yelp.

I can't help but notice that many of those quoted are Asian. In fact, of the ones with photos, 5 of 6 look Asian (and they're all female). Hmm...I'm Asian, maybe I should Yelp. :)

How long do you think it would take for you to land in what the anti-CityZen ranter termed "Yelp Jail?"

So, after reading this thread, and after discussing the effects of macro-economics with my tight circle of High-Powered Executive-Class friends on LinkedIn that I met up with on Friendster.com and finding out what the general consensus was with the several groups whose blogs I religiously follow on Geo-Cities, I did a quick search on Lycos to find out what was really going on.

Well, suffice it to say, that all my "links" on My-Space (whatever *that* is) led me to the one place, and the one place only--and that is the "GRIPES" section of Tom Sietsema's Pulitzer (or Beard, I forget which) winning chat--that really tells the truth.

So all I can say, is that you are all wrong, according to Yelp.

And thank god for Friendster, LinkedIn, Lycos, Geo-Cities, and TS's Super-Fabulous Chat for letting me know this.

And to all my friends on ClassMates.com--I'm still waiting!

And to all my friends on Friendster--You're (ur) the best!!!

How long do you think it would take for you to land in what the anti-CityZen ranter termed "Yelp Jail?"

Actually, now that I focused on her, she doesn't look very Asian, although she refers to herself as "chinky." I'm not sure what she did to land in Yelp Jail. As for me, I've been a Yelper since this afternoon and I'm not in jail yet. Seriously, yelp is a term that describes dog whining . So are yelpers bitches?

Bravo Derek Brown. So many of the comments on Yelp are from people with unrealistic expectations.

I am also tired of the idiots that use Living Social then bitch about the terms of the offer afterward. Example, a cooking class with terms specifying vegetarian rolls. Attendee then go on Yelp and complains that there was no fish and there were no give-aways like DIY home kit. Seriously, what do you want for half price?

By the way, I probably should be keeping this secret, and it is probably off-topic (why isn't there a shorter way to say that?) , but I was in one of my regular AOL chat rooms last night, "Foxes and Finances", and I heard about this web-site, The Motley Fool, which basically guarantees that we'll all be able to retire by, like, 50 max and that the Dow will soar past 25,000 in, like, five years tops.

Now if these sites will ever develop the far-reaching impact and legacy of Yelp! is a whole other question...

By the way, I probably should be keeping this secret, and it is probably off-topic (why isn't there a shorter way to say that?) , but I was in one of my regular AOL chat rooms last night, "Foxes and Finances", and I heard about this web-site, The Motley Fool, which basically guarantees that we'll all be able to retire by, like, 50 max and that the Dow will soar past 25,000 in, like, five years tops.

The Motley Fool has been around for the past 10 years now and its advice has been pretty sound actually. I like it more than Kiplinger's but its site is no longer user-friendly like it used to be...

Perhaps Yelp! isn't so bad after all. Here is an excerpt from an HR Magazine:

"Yelp: More like ‘Gulp’

The review website Yelp keeps a keg in the office at all times. Employees can drink as much as they want, although the booze is monitored.

Before every pour, workers must log into an iPad application that’s attached to the keg. It monitors every ounce an employee drinks. Those stats are then transferred to a leaderboard.

The thinking around the office: The top of the board is probably not the best place to be."

Perhaps they should hire Derek Brown?