Osama Bin Laden Killed?

DonRocks

Thanks for the link.

(Note: In the history of the board Don has never posted a nonfood related event in the forum (and only a few elsewhere). I think that speaks to his belief in the importance of this announcement.)

Thank goodness we finally got him, but this may be only chapter two in a very long epic.

Reports are pouring in. The New York Times is reporting it. Obama to make some sort of announcement but won't say what it is. You can watch the live feed on ABC News here.

Great news indeed. Thank you to all our service members and families who made this possible.

Reports are pouring in. The New York Times is reporting it. Obama to make some sort of announcement but won't say what it is. You can watch the live feed on ABC News here.

We were at the grocery store (making this sort of food-related!) and a guy yelled into his cell phone, "You mean we finally got him??!! HE'S DEAD?!!" and we had to find out what was going on. We're feeling very heart-full and patriotic tonight.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/ is the live feed for Al Jazeera. http://geo.tv/ is the live feed for Pakistan's Geo Tv. Both were showing a video feed (Geo's was live at the time) of Bin Laden's compound BURNING. I do not know if this has been broadcast on US television stations yet. For anyone reading this in Reston, Al Jazeera is Comcast 275.

A powerful night in American history.

The Newseum will be incredible tomorrow featuring so many newspapers and their respective headlines of Osama's death. Take a look at this from the Sydney Morning Herald: http://www.smh.com.au/ Also, from Dubai The Arab News: http://www.arabnews.com/ the Times of London: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/?CMP=KNGvccp1-london%2520times

Yesterday was my lounging day so I caught up on a bunch of stuff I had saved on the DVR, then I watched HBO after that. I didn't watch any news at all. I was shocked by the Post's headlines this AM. It seems rare that the dead tree edition actually dispenses fresh news, but it was sure fresh to me this morning. I happen to be reading a memoir of a SEAL (Pfarrer), so I'm not the least surprised it was a SEAL unit that did the deed. I don't know what Bin Laden's death will mean to the terrorist organizations, but at least we feel better. I'm suspecting Pakistan is higher on the US's shit-list right now.

All accounts point to this being a harrowing mission. I am in awe of the bravery and dedication of the Navy Seals. I can't fathom their courage. Semper paratus may be the Coast Guard motto, but those seals practiced the raid in a mock compound.

And now, Bin Laden is literally fish food.

I have long believed that no man should rejoice in the death of any other. I also believe that I am frequently wrong. God bless the United States and all that serve her.

+1

This might rub people the wrong way, but ... +1

I can take no joy in the death of any other human being. Was it necessary, beneficial, and important? Yes, yes, and yes. Am I sad? Only because some people are celebrating with a mob mentality (not here; just in general).

This piece of detritus also ruined the only birthday Karen Rockwell ever lived to see.

Scoff if you will, but if everyone had my attitude, there would be no crime in this world except for the occasional case of indecent exposure.

<Refrain: "And thank God everyone doesn't have your attitude, you lily-livered pinko!">

Fair enough.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr.

All accounts point to this being a harrowing mission. I am in awe of the bravery and dedication of the Navy Seals. I can't fathom their courage. Semper paratus may be the Coast Guard motto, but those seals practiced the raid in a mock compound.

And now, Bin Laden is literally fish food.

You might be interested to know that our own mktye's husband, Rob, is a Navy Seal. I have no idea if he played any part in this, but am happy that I got to meet him at several events.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr.

Not to pick on Legant, but this turned up on as a friend's Facebook posting seconds after I looked through this thread.

We were half-punked, and the Atlantic was strikingly sloppy. The second half of the quote is his.

More detail/research on the quote (and the Atlantic post) here.

Regardless of the source, the sentiment is still powerful.

(Psst...Barbara, I think Rob is a Seabee not a Seal. Either way, his service is appreciated!)

Not to pick on Legant, but this turned up on as a friend's Facebook posting seconds after I looked through this thread.

Yeah, definitely not only legant - I saw this on at least ten Facebook friends' status updates. I was straining to think of the context in which MLK, Jr. might have said this, but I didn't really question it either.

I guess I'm just a shallow, vindictive bastard, but I'm pretty happy he's dead. "Rejoice" might be too strong a word, but it does bring a smile.

Not shallow or vindictive; certain cases call for more justice than mercy - it all depends on ones personal views and limits.

Not shallow or vindictive; certain cases call for more justice than mercy - it all depends on ones personal views and limits.

Interestingly, at least to me, was a conversation had around the Easter dinner table. What do you do with people who are simply toxic? I'm talking here about people whose past behavior exhibits such socio/psychopathology that there is no hope for understanding or redemption. Showing such people "love" just gives them space to spread their malice and hurt even more people. The people I have in mind aren't subject to "exteme measures" like Bin Laden; but, nevertheless have to be culled from the herd, so to speak. There is a small group of people who I have declared "dead to me" who will be never be allowed to play a role at all in my life--ever again. It's a question of self-preservation, rather than retribution. (I hasten to add that NONE of them are DR.com members, in case you ask.)

I feel the same way about Bin Laden, who, of course, merrily killed lots of complete strangers for reasons that make no sense. Am I "happy?" Not really. Relieved? Yes I am.

Interestingly, at least to me, was a conversation had around the Easter dinner table. What do you do with people who are simply toxic? I'm talking here about people whose past behavior exhibits such socio/psychopathology that there is no hope for understanding or redemption. Showing such people "love" just gives them space to spread their malice and hurt even more people. The people I have in mind aren't subject to "exteme measures" like Bin Laden; but, nevertheless have to be culled from the herd, so to speak. There is a small group of people who I have declared "dead to me" who will be never be allowed to play a role at all in my life--ever again. It's a question of self-preservation, rather than retribution. (I hasten to add that NONE of them are DR.com members, in case you ask.)

I feel the same way about Bin Laden, who, of course, merrily killed lots of complete strangers for reasons that make no sense. Am I "happy?" Not really. Relieved? Yes I am.

Wow, great post. I'm glad some people can put words together to make a coherent thought that's persuasive (not a comment on DR members - it's a literate forum). Can I just say "what Barbara said"?

I was happy for the sake of all the people who would find great relief in this, and for any help it might bring to our nation and other nations fighting terrorism, and any help it might bring to those in the Middle East seeking peace loving societies, and to help Islam be what the Qu'ran truly wrote it to be. Although it seems his role was largely restricted at this point, that was because of the constant work and bombing by the U.S. troops. And there is such a large political and religious history at this point I don't know what it will mean for anyone on either side, really. But I think it had to be done.

He would not have surrendered, he probably would have hung himself in a jail cell, he would not have talked about anything I am sure. He wanted his guards to shoot him instead of being captured, so I don't think it really would have been possible to take him alive. Therefore, voila, it is what it is.