Feelin' Crabby Food Truck, Roaming in DC

Feelin' Crabby is a new food truck here. They parked near Union Station today, and a colleague talked me into visiting them. It is the (crab) bomb. The main ingredient is fresh, sweet, jumbo lump crab meat dressed lightly with mayonnaise and a touch of red bell peppers, and a dash of Old Bay seasoning on top. This is served on a kaiser roll with lettuce and sliced tomatoes, or on a green salad with grape tomatoes. Either one is $11. You're basically getting jumbo lump crab, without any work of having to pick crabs. This isn't composition intensive, this is ingredient intensive. As long as the quality of the lump crab they use remains consistent, this is extremely tasty and the best value of any of the food trucks.

They also have homemade lemonades, iced tea, and mixed Arnold Palmers. My colleague had the Arnold Palmer and said it was really good as well.

How good was this? We ate our sandwiches, pondered for a little bit, then we both went and got another sandwich! The folks at Red Hook Lobster Truck should be looking over their shoulders, there's a new crab creeping up on them.

post-129-0-19582200-1308102578_thumb.jpg

Feelin' Crabby is a new food truck here. They parked near Union Station today, and a colleague talked me into visiting them. It is the (crab) bomb. The main ingredient is fresh, sweet, jumbo lump crab meat dressed lightly with mayonnaise and a touch of red bell peppers, and a dash of Old Bay seasoning on top. This is served on a kaiser roll with lettuce and sliced tomatoes, or on a green salad with grape tomatoes. Either one is $11. You're basically getting jumbo lump crab, without any work of having to pick crabs. This isn't composition intensive, this is ingredient intensive. As long as the quality of the lump crab they use remains consistent, this is extremely tasty and the best value of any of the food trucks.

They also have homemade lemonades, iced tea, and mixed Arnold Palmers. My colleague had the Arnold Palmer and said it was really good as well.

How good was this? We ate our sandwiches, pondered for a little bit, then we both went and got another sandwich! The folks at Red Hook Lobster Truck should be looking over their shoulders, there's a new crab creeping up on them.

post-129-0-19582200-1308102578_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the review and the photo. In the photo, It looks heavier on the mayonnaise than "lightly" but photos are often deceiving. Would you say the mayo is less or more than how RedHook dresses their lobster roll? Also, is the crab baked, broiled or otherwise heated--looks to be some browning on top but maybe that's just the Old Bay? Thanks again.

Yes, we both ate two sandwiches. I've e-mailed them to ask about what kind of crab they use. Website is Feelin' Crabby.

There was enough mayonnaise to coat the crab lightly, but not enough to make it a gloppy mess. The first one (and the better of the two, truthfully) had probably had a similar ratio of mayo coating to meat that the lobster truck usually has. The second one I had had more mayo on it, perhaps from the crab mix being premade and getting lower in the barrel by that point. The crab is cooked before it went into the dressing, and is cold when served. The brown on top is from the Old Bay.

The picture makes it look like it is way more filler than crab - tons of mayo, parsley and red bell pepper. Do they have a more pure-crab option? The crab roll at Luke's is pretty good, but it would be great if someone did a cart with a more maryland-style crab cake.

I drove by (one of?) their trucks today next to Franklin Square around 1pm. The painting on the side says they cater....hmmm....it hit me that a future DR picnic might lure 4 or 5 of these trucks...!? Or maybe some kind of uber-$20 Tuesday event might be to gather downtown at a reasonable time and place and lure as many of these kinds of food trucks as possible to our location. Franklin Square today had about 3-4 food trucks parked all in a row....

Do you really think that most places around here serve 100% Chesapeake?

No, but as a local operation I would hope they would at least try. If you are having supplier problems then Gulf or Carolina crabs. I fully understand the cost issues surrounding fresh blue crabs, but the novelty of buying a crabcake out of a truck will not induce me to buy if the product is inferior.

I drove by (one of?) their trucks today next to Franklin Square around 1pm. The painting on the side says they cater....hmmm....it hit me that a future DR picnic might lure 4 or 5 of these trucks...!? Or maybe some kind of uber-$20 Tuesday event might be to gather downtown at a reasonable time and place and lure as many of these kinds of food trucks as possible to our location. Franklin Square today had about 3-4 food trucks parked all in a row....

I think Truckeroo may be what you're looking for...

I think Truckeroo may be what you're looking for...

And I think Kibbee is on to something: with proper planning, these trucks would be foolish not to show up at the next dr.com picnic (assuming it's legal, and was all cleared with the park service - think of the publicity they'd receive on an otherwise lazy Sunday). The owners could introduce themselves to everyone, and voila! A win-win situation.

And I think Kibbee is on to something: with proper planning, these trucks would be foolish not to show up at the next dr.com picnic (assuming it's legal, and was all cleared with the park service - think of the publicity they'd receive on an otherwise lazy Sunday). The owners could introduce themselves to everyone, and voila! A win-win situation.

It would have to be for publicity sake as the number of folks that attend the picnic are just not enough to provide enough business. This is not to say that the turnout has been low, just not enough for something like this. OTOH I think the potluck nature of the picnic and the relaxed atmosphere is a large part of what makes it fun.

I had a hybrid in mind, sort of DR picnic combined with a $20 Tuesday, or something like that. We would all show up in picnic numbers (~100) at a reasonable spot, not unlike our Ft. Hunt location, and instead of bringing a lot of food with us, maybe just bring adult beverages and sides. Then we can selectively arrange for 3-4 food trucks to provide the rest of the eating enjoyment....and I agree, it would be a win-win.

Had the Feelin Crabby sandwich recently -- it was mediocre at best. In fairness, it tasted better than it looked -- because it looked terrible, loaded with mayonaise and crap. Overall I was unimpressed. I'll stick to lobster rolls at the truck, Luke's, or BGR. (And I actually prefer crab to lobster).