DonRocks

Haagen-Dazs

How come I can't find Fleur de sel caramel anywhere in Silver Spring?

Could swear Safeway carries it in D.C. and I even managed to persuade the Capitol Hill location of Harris Teeter to do likewise.

Am I overlooking a reliable source is it it a matter of either a different distributor or perception of demographics that needs to be revised?

How come I can't find Fleur de sel caramel anywhere in Silver Spring?

I haven't seen it anywhere for awhile and now it appears it's not listed on their website, so they may have discontinued it. If it's any consolation, Cook&Bottlewasher has her version on August 18-19.

Go into a Safeway or Giant and pick up a box of sealtest or whatever the brands of the day. Most will have 15 or more ingredients with most of those more reminiscent of a high school chemistry class than a kitchen. If you're ever interested to test this, buy vanilla ice cream at a grocery. Compare one of the half-gallon, chemical boxes to vanilla from a pint Haagen Dazs. It's night and day on flavor; ingredients aside.

Yes, *but*, Haagen-Dazs has recently gone to the dark side, and I don't buy it any more because they use HFCS in their ice creams (with the exception of their relatively boring "Five" line). I went so far as to do a 3 AM 7-11 run awhile back, and walk away empty-handed when I saw the ingredients.

Another one bites the dust.

Yes, *but*, Haagen-Dazs has recently gone to the dark side, and I don't buy it any more because they use HFCS in their ice creams (with the exception of their relatively boring "Five" line). I went so far as to do a 3 AM 7-11 run awhile back, and walk away empty-handed when I saw the ingredients.

Another one bites the dust.

Not entirely true. To me, Haagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerrys went over the dark side when they sold out to Intercontinental (HD's first corporate owner) and Unilever. But, since then, being an ingredient hound, I've been super vigilant about regularly checking their labels. Agree with you on the Five line but check again, next time you're in a store. The basic flavors (Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla...along with a few others) remain true. Maybe too boring for many but for a tried-and-true milkshake guy, that's my focus since I'm more apt to buy or make a milkshake than eat ice cream straight. Likewise with B&J. Both HD and B&J use HFCS and all kinds of other crap in many of their flavors. But those flavors have no business in milkshakes anyway. Beyond the big corporate marques, there are a few local ones available in stores that are promising. Moorenko is one that comes to mind and, having met her at a Whole Foods demo a year or two ago, I thought she had the right focus on product.

Any sign of their peppermint bark, supposedly available Oct-Dec?

FWIW, you can skip the "caramel apple pie" limited edition. Not enough pie crust, nor texture for that matter, unless your benchmark is the pie from Mickey D's. Moreover, it's absolutely crap compared to South Mountain Creamery's quite good apple pie ice cream.

My all time favorite flavor, for any brands for that matter, was their Cappuccino Commotion. Not sure why the flavor was retired. It was delicious. Coffee ice creams studded with macadamia brittle and thick broken pieces of dark chocolate. I have been on the hunt for a flavor that comes close, but no dice.