Pimento Cheese: The New Cupcake

KMango

Act I:  The other day, I noticed the unusually excessive shelf space Harris Teeter devotes to numerous brands of pimento cheese.

Act II:  Today, at Grape & Bean Rosemont, enclosed photo.

Act III:  Pimento cheese-only shops.  And something involving bacon and salted caramel before it jumps the shark.

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Sona Creamery and WIne Bar (Pat)]

---

post-5654-0-67984100-1369535348_thumb.jp

• Like 1

:lol: I almost made pimento cheese for the picnic. It had been a while since I'd made it and I'd been seeing lots of recipes pop up for it, which got me thinking about making it again.

• Like 1

Speaking of Pimento Cheese…I was in Charleston, SC, last weekend and ate at a relatively new restaurant, The Grocery. One of the best parts of the meal was their Crispy Pimento Cheese Balls.

I was in Charleston for a conference a few months ago. The pimento cheese at Husk did not suck. The boiled peanuts with jalapenos were fantastic as well, and the beet/celery/gin cocktail I had took just enough of the edge off.

Okay, I'm going to come right out ask it ...

Unless you make pimento cheese with homemade mayo and sharp cheddar, how can it not suck?

I'm invoking the "Cooking With Wine" rule here: don't ever cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. Likewise, don't ever cook with an ingredient you wouldn't eat - the enormously vast majority of pimento cheeses run afoul of the latter rule.

Does that make me "a snob?" Then so be it. Please don't mix Velveeta with homemade mayo, or sharp cheddar with Miracle Whip, and tell me it's anything but terrible.

"Tee hee hee! Tee hee hee! We'll do it and won't tell him! Tee hee hee! Tee hee hee! We'll see how you come out of this one, Mr. Super Taster!"

Refer to GMO, or to bring it even closer to home, genetically modified soybean oil in your Miracle Whip.

NOW do you get what I've been trying to tell you for all these years, my friends? TASTES GOOD <> IS GOOD.

NOW do you get what I've been trying to tell you for all these years, my friends? TASTES GOOD <> IS GOOD.

OK I am going to play the Devil's advocate. Vada Pao. The incredible Indian junk food. Carbs on carbs. I have known Indians to weep for it. But, good for you? Not. :lol:

Okay, I'm going to come right out ask it ...

Unless you make pimento cheese with homemade mayo and sharp cheddar, how can it not suck?

Sometimes it's about nostalgia, and the memories make it more delicious than anything else can. Velveeta, however, is only good for that cheese dip with the can of Ro-Tel in the 1970s electric fondue pot. And Blue Plate makes a mighty good mayo... :)

They often have different pimento cheeses open for sampling at Harris Teeter. All the ones I've tried I thought were pretty gross. I did have that stuff at Grape and Bean pictured in the first post-- it was ok, but this is something you're so much better off making at home... so simple, and much tastier and cheaper. I use something close to this recipe. The onion addition is nice.

I'm very late to this party, but found the thread looking for a cheeseshop in the District after the closing of Cowgirl Creamery and a disappointment at Cork Market (it's fine, just not what I wanted it to be).

Southern caviar is the delicious black-eye pea salad. Pimento cheese is "Southern pate".

Following my grandmother, and more high end Southern places than you'd expect, I use Duke's and actually prefer it to homemade mayo in mine. Unlike my grandmother, I find that a shot of rye and a handful of pickled piquillo peppers are a game changer.

On the store front, Cheestique looks like my place. They have my go-to cheeses (Beecher's Flagship, Sweet Grass Green Hill, Lamb Chopper). I'd rather not cross the river, and remain happy to hear suggestions, particularly those that are easy by public transit.

I saw that in the case last weekend.

I guess it figures if they have one they have the other.  I've been waiting for months for Sona, the new wine/cheese shop, to open right there around the corner on PA Ave.  They're going to have a creamery on site with a full cheese-making operation.  According to their twitter feed, it's now pushed back to next week.  Their is their website.