Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Braised pork loin with rosemary
Mashed potatoes
Mixed vegetables

I had some leftover cooked kale with bacon that I was going to reheat and serve as a vegetable but decided last minute that it had been sitting in the refrigerator just a bit too long, so I tossed that and quickly boiled some of the frozen mixed vegetables I keep on hand for putting into soup. They were adequate.

DSC04883-001.JPG.1c046d38303dd3c7aef51c6e18909585.JPG

DSC04885-001.JPG.f17411fff9b9dd751b5a27f7a549da37.JPG

Dinner for four:

Insalata di puntarelle (puntarelle with a dressing of olive oil, anchovy, Meyer lemon juice and garlic)
Spareribs braised in tomato sauce (lard, garlic, canned plum tomatoes, salt, pepper)
Broccolini with garlic, anchovy and olio nuevo
Homemade lactose-free pistachio ice cream

• Like 2

I too am interested in the ice cream, being of the lactose intolerant camp myself.  

Last week I made myself a delicious pork chop, with a side of kale, aromatics and white beans cooked with diced tomatoes.  (pictured)

Then on Saturday night, I was at a friend's house and my Mom assured our friends that if she thawed this beef prime rib rack roast, that I would know how to cook it.  A quick google later and I did.  So I made a prime rib roast with a chili lime rub (not extremely pronounced, but gave it good flavor) with roast brussels and potatoes.  

Monday night I made basmati rice, naan, roasted cauliflower with some curry seasoning and rajma masala (kidney bean curry).  The naan was great, and I got more puff this time, but the real key to the puff requires high heat that makes my cast iron smoke more than my condo fire alarm would stand, I will perfect it elsewhere, sometime... Still not bad though.  

Last night was pork chops again, and then an assortment of leftover sides (the kidney bean curry, greens, etc) and naan with hummus.  I haven't even thought about tonight yet, oopsies, oh well, will figure it out.

IMG_0396.JPG

• Like 3

Dates stuffed with champignon brie, topped with toasted walnut bits
Pain de campagne with evoo or butter
Red snapper with green tahini
Steamed asparagus
Couscous

The fish recipe is from the Post. It's like a chimichurri but made with tahini instead of olive oil.  I couldn't get the sauce as smooth as it was supposed to be. My tahini kept clumping. Everything looked pretty on the plate, though!

• Like 1

There was slow cooked london broil leftover, that Hubby did in the slow cooker and it was very tender, and easy to shred so I thought I would make either beef and cheese enchiladas, or bean and cheese with the leftover kidney bean curry.  Hubby voted for beef, with beans and rice on the side.  I cooked up some onion and pepper that was already chopped and needed to be used and threw that in the mix, defrosted some homemade salsa, and shredded the last remnants of a pepper jack cheese block in the fridge.  Topped with some cheddar slices and a little more salsa and pepperjack.  They turned out very well.  We had them with the leftover beans and rice on the side.  Not mexican style rice and beans at all, but it all tasted good together, and used up a lot of leftovers.

• Like 2

Salad of red leaf lettuce, olives, and radishes; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Penne Spinach Alfredo
Eggplant Parmesan with eggplant tomato sauce, basil, and sausage

I guess the pasta could also be called "Creamy Penne Florentine."  The sauce was butter, garlic, milk, cream cheese, and Parmesan. I used whole wheat penne that had been in the pantry for quite a while.  This was a recipe I saw online, but it didn't really require much of a recipe. I finally used the baby spinach that had been sitting in the refrigerator since the shopping trip before last. It was still in decent enough shape.

I did the eggplant parm on a sheet pan. Haven't made it in a long time. I reverted to my (very) old practice of boiling the slices of eggplant in lightly salted water for several minutes before assembling the components.  I used to do that to save calories over breading and/or frying, but the boiling softens the eggplant enough before it goes into the oven that it turns out with a nice texture.  

DSC04970-001.JPG.6b5746c6cb2b671129682612fea8ea46.JPG

DSC04972-001.JPG.664629ce08e77bce89c63b49c540a692.JPG

DSC04977-001.JPG.20d13ba9f29458c614ed7e178264a23f.JPG

DSC04978-001.JPG.97283279afbadb39237ae0263e005a8b.JPG

DSC04981-001.JPG.f6fc335c2459beb1698808d972aa6b58.JPG

We had veal and pork meatballs last night:

1 lb. ground veal
1 lb. ground pork
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/3 cup minced Italian parsley
1 tsp. finely grated Meyer lemon zest
3/4 cup breadcrumbs soaked in 1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes

And I made a batch of pesto di ortica (stinging nettle pesto):

DSC04984-001.JPG.4687a54a4d4c128cd6669ca559931b8f.JPG

DSC04991-001.JPG.b19d6f9e6b054a7a55caf97509ab0243.JPG

DSC04986-001.JPG.78f3581d69ba64fc8b25222b5ef206bb.JPG

DSC04988-001.JPG.7d7c7da255cf0c25757145a53612815e.JPG

2/3 cup stinging nettles that have been blanched, then coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
salt to taste
extra-virgin olive oil

• Like 1

Last night was "egg roll in a bowl" ground sausage, shallots, cabbage and carrots stir fried with ginger, garlic, soy and rice wine vinegar, to which I added some rice at the end and let it get a little crispy.  Topped with some green onion.  Hubby wasn't feeling great, so it was good comfort food in a way.

• Like 1

I had leftover chicken from Spatch (a Nando's copycat).  I cooked some cauliflower rice in a skillet until it was browned.  And then I used that as the base of a Chipotle-like bowl.  Had some chopped tomatoes and I grated some cheese on top of the cubed chicken.  A good and fast way to use up a few things in the refrigerator. 

Last night I forgot to thaw any new meat options.  I had some chicken breasts for this week, but those were for Hubby for tonight (and maybe tomorrow) when I am gone.  I had pork chops vacuum sealed, but I was a little over pork.  And for the same reason I wasn't feeling my plan of lentil soup with sausage and kale.  But, in the freezer, I had frozen snow peas and a bag of frozen shrimp.  I thought I had noodles in the fridge, but alas, no, luckily I had some dried Chinese noodles in the cupboard that I happened to think looked good the last time I was at Grand Mart.  So I blanched snow peas, blanched shrimp, blanched noodles.  I made a sauce of oyster sauce, a little sriracha, soy sauce and rice vinegar.  Then I stir fried ginger, garlic, salt and pepper and oil (I was out of sesame oil, how did I not know this in advance) in a pan and added in the peas and shrimp, then I added in the noodles and sauce at the end.  Topped with a few cashews and green onion.  Frozen snow peas were very disappointing in texture- I should remember this, every couple years I make this mistake.  But all in all it turned out very tasty, the noodles and shrimp were great. 

IMG_0403.jpg

• Like 2

Spicy cheddar mustard thyme turnover from Souk
Leftover stacked beef enchiladas
Braised cauliflower with tomatillos, tomatoes, potato, jalapeño, and green chile powder

The braise came out a little soupier than I intended, so it was more of a cauliflower - tomatillo stew, but it is was good.  I added some cooked brown and wild rice to it at the end.

Inspired by TrelayneNYC:

Spare ribs braised in marinara served on fettuccine. OMG. So good.  Accompanied by a pear and Gorgonzola salad and roasted zucchini.  I did not post pictures because my presentation would never live up to the standards of my Don Rockwell colleagues… But that inspiration created a beautiful meal. 

MMy best friend, who cooks for me, and I cook for her, said this is one of the best meals I've ever made for her. SCORE!

• Like 4

Pre-dinner snack: Popcorn, lightly buttered and salted, made in the Whirlypop

Quesadilla with guacamole and sour cream plus extra tortilla chips for dipping
Salad of butter lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, and chickpeas; sesame-soy-ginger vinaigrette
Leftover braised cauliflower

DSC05022-001.JPG.10ab8a7254ac072b9b473c347c29e03b.JPG

DSC05023-001.JPG.b3285f9f7e4800a40d1bf7aa62b5d28a.JPG

DSC05027-001.JPG.44f336bcdf1d650a92d6c51bb3378267.JPG

DSC05032-001.JPG.1b36e6dcf809829b1f7a010e66107eac.JPG

DSC05037-001.JPG.ff1dbfa59c695e5070d3e41878fb8c0c.JPG

DSC05056-001.JPG.5b078d3e51fffe20ad797faa362316a3.JPG

Dinner menu for six for March 4, 2018:

Assorted crackers
Cheese plate (smoked Gouda, cheddar cheese, goat cheese)
Marinated olives
Deep-fried anchovies

Lamb tagine with Castelvetrano olives and saffron
Couscous with aromatic vegetables (celery, carrot, onion) and currants
Harissa
Preserved lemon
Braised green beans and broccolini with anchovy, Meyer lemon and rosemary

Homemade chocolate ice cream for dessert

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

Assorted crackers
Marinated olives
Deep-fried anchovies

Harissa
Preserved lemon

Your mise en place always looks so gorgeous. Even though it's smart and helpful to do, I slack on it too much.  That looks like a wonderful meal.

We had leftover pork chops and apples from last night with buttered parsley noodles.

• Like 1

Tonight was pizza because Hubby didn't get to order it last night.  I made homemade pizza sauce last week.  I sautéed onion, pepper and I think the last package of squash my MIL blanched and froze and then added the last of the sausage about .2 pounds with some mural of flavor spice I got from penzeys.  I then added it to my pizza and added those little mozz balls that are soaked in oil, with some of the garlic and sundried tomatoes at the bottom of the tub.  Delicious.

We made rib, bone-in pork chops with kale, kimchi, fish sauce, sake, brow sugar and scallions. That's pretty much it. It was quite tasty and very easy.

I think the next time we make it we will flash marinate the pork in the residual kimchi 'jus', some of the scallion and a little kale. We might also serve it with a ee bit of rice to soak up the residual broth.

4 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

Assorted crackers
Marinated olives
Deep-fried anchovies

Harissa
Preserved lemon

Once they invent the Orgasmatron, there will no longer be a need for you ever to leave the house. Okay, Farmers Market, but still.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pat said:

Tomato-braised cod and potatoes plus fresh English peas
Blanched asparagus dressed with lemon juice and hummus

We had tomato braised cod (too!) with roasted potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts dressed with sherry vinegar, honey, red pepper flakes, manchego and almond.

• Like 1

Last night I made a copycat version of Little Pearl's farro and winter greens salad. It came out pretty well: farro, lamb sausage, a mix of sautéed greens, pine nuts, yogurt, and (my addition) diced dried apricots.  I bought ground lamb and added a variety of dried seasonings (cumin, cinnamon, garlic, onion, smoked paprika) and Dijon mustard. I added some Aleppo pepper when I cooked the sausage.  I used a whole bunch of spinach and some pre made Asian greens mix (with mizuna, tatsoi, and a couple other types).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Because my culinary skills are deep: Last night was Boar's Head ham and Boar's Head white American cheese griddled in between bread smeared with margarine, with some Duke's Mayo.  

My only objection to that would be the margarine. I never liked margarine, but it was good for things like grilled cheese when you needed an easy spread.  Now I use butter and just keep it at room temperature except at the hottest point in summer.

3 hours ago, Pat said:

My only objection to that would be the margarine. I never liked margarine, but it was good for things like grilled cheese when you needed an easy spread.  Now I use butter and just keep it at room temperature except at the hottest point in summer.

I keep butter at room temperature for the current stick. At the peak of summer.....you just need to eat it faster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I keep butter at room temperature for the current stick. At the peak of summer.....you just need to eat it faster.

I thought my parents were the only people ever to do that.

14 hours ago, Pat said:

My only objection to that would be the margarine. I never liked margarine, but it was good for things like grilled cheese when you needed an easy spread.  

If I wasn't lactose intolerant I would always eat real butter.  But alas, not worth getting an upset stomach after every meal, so Earth Balance it is.  I grew up not lactose intolerance eating freshly made butter from the farm, it was kept at room temperature, delicious.  Worth a splurge now and then, but not an every day thing.

5 hours ago, dcs said:

I thought my parents were the only people ever to do that.

The funny thing is my parents didn't keep the butter out, but our neighbors a few doors down did.  Years later, living on my own and hating dealing with rock hard butter straight out of the refrigerator, I remembered that the neighbors doing it and saying the butter kept just fine. They had three boys, though, so I think they went through food pretty quickly!

53 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

If I wasn't lactose intolerant I would always eat real butter.  But alas, not worth getting an upset stomach after every meal, so Earth Balance it is.  I grew up not lactose intolerance eating freshly made butter from the farm, it was kept at room temperature, delicious.  Worth a splurge now and then, but not an every day thing.

Yeah, it's not worth feeling sick over. At least they formulate it better than they used to (or better at least based on current knowledge).

Last night we had leftover braised cod and potatoes and smoked paprika and orange meatballs. 

On 3/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, ktmoomau said:

I am not affected by butter, only things like cream and half & half. So odd how it affects each person a bit differently.

We finally finished the braised cod and potatoes last night. There wasn't a whole lot left. The rest of the meal was baked falafel with cucumber, tomato, tahini, and yogurt plus toasted whole wheat English muffin halves.  I thought about buying pita but already had the English muffins and they needed to be used. 

DSC05105-001.JPG.9e0b4b50bec2807091388a8f6fe1584f.JPG

DSC05111-001.JPG.09bb73af46bdb7a0bd30621d84044617.JPG

DSC05117-001.JPG.0ea10d35f425fa82a419509d2cbe60b9.JPG

DSC05118-001.JPG.8ecf691c2f3d4bc7dc686fe44bf08946.JPG

DSC05124-001.JPG.d86a5879cbec038fbb41c466aba1be04.JPG

Congee with pork-cilantro meatballs.

Meatballs - 2 tbsp. cilantro stems, 2 garlic cloves, pinch of salt, generous pinch of white pepper - pounded into a paste in a mortar and pestle, then combined with 1 lb. ground pork, 1 tsp. mushroom soy and 1 tbsp. oyster sauce, then chilled for 6 hours in the fridge.

Congee - 10 cups Chinese chicken stock, 1 cup jasmine rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours uncovered, adding chicken stock or water to replenish liquid as it evaporates. Congee is done when rice begins to break down and is thickened according to your liking.

Toppings - cilantro stems and leaves, sriracha, fish sauce, sesame oil, shredded ginger, minced scallion, crispy fried shallots, fried garlic, chopped peanuts.

For each diner, crack an egg in a bowl, then ladle hot congee on top. Egg should be done in about 4 minutes. Scatter toppings as desired, then serve.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2018 at 9:54 AM, Pat said:

Leftover smoked paprika and orange meatballs
Stir-fried napa cabbage and snow peas

Smoked paprika has been sitting in the back of my spices for a long time without use.  Forgot about it.  

Cheeseburgers with the cheddar melted inside the burgers w/smoked paprika garlic Worcester sauce, baked potato, banana. Split ice cream