Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Roasted chicken leg quarters
Roasted Yukon gold potatoes
Steamed green beans with lemon and butter

I roasted the potatoes on the sheet pan the chicken had been on after I took the chicken out of the oven. I wasn't planning on the potatoes when I started out, but I don't think they would have fit too well on the pan at the same time as 5 or 6 leg quarters anyway. They were really good roasted in the chicken fat. Doing them sequentially also kept the oven on longer, which is good, since our heat is broken...

I am trying to get back into a decent eating routine after being away for 17 days.

Last night it was pan seared pork chop,  steamed broccoli, and a baby arugula salad with grated Parmesan Reggiano, an olive oil and lemon juice dressing, and a healthy shake of everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's.  That everything bagel seasoning is the bomb!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcandohio said:

Last night it was pan seared pork chop,  steamed broccoli, and a baby arugula salad with grated Parmesan Reggiano, an olive oil and lemon juice dressing, and a healthy shake of everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's.  That everything bagel seasoning is the bomb!

Thanks.  Didn't know it existed.  Once again I learn I'm 2 or so years behind the times.  (plans to visit TJ's ASAP--and can see it on eggs as I write)

• Like 1

I had a couple of pieces of whole wheat lavash left and still more leftover lamb, so I made a flatbread pizza with tomato sauce left in the fridge, chopped lamb, pepperoni, and mozzarella.  The leftover lamb broth I made from the roast got turned into a quick-cooked "stew" along with the leftover roasted potato pieces and a sliced carrot. (I had used the rest of the broth to cook the wild rice for a previous meal, and the leftovers of that went in too.) It only had to cook long enough to get the carrots tender and blend the flavors a bit.

• Like 2

Baby arugula and red leaf lettuce salad with cherry tomatoes, red Belgian endive, radish, cucumber and avocado; Caesar dressing
Cannellini bean soup with roasted anaheim pepper strips (caramelized onions, garlic, black pepper, salt, cumin, Mexican oregano); crushed tortilla chips
Leftover roasted chicken
Roasted broccoli with lemon

This was improvised but good.  I thawed some skinless boneless chicken breasts, dredged them in flour and browned for a while in a mixture of butter and olive oil. I put them in the oven to stay warm and cook a bit more while I sautéed s bunch of cremini mushrooms and some shallots. I deglazed with some vermouth and then added halved cherry tomatoes, chopped parsley, lemon zest, and lemon juice. This sat on warm while I cooked bucatini. The pasta and some reserved water went into the skillet and it all got mixed together and heated a bit further to evaporate the excess liquid. The chicken was put out to rest, then sliced into 1/2" slices and set on top of the mixture in the skillet. It was all served on a platter, topped with more parsley and freshly grated Parmesan. REALLY good.

Baguette and dipping oil or butter on the side.

dinner040718.jpg

• Like 5

Over the weekend I made a sausage/rotini/sauce ragu dish.  Its been on my mind since having only recently tasted the famed version at Red Hen and having contemplated the description made by Josh back in 2013.  I agreed with his description on how great it is and its a dish that is often made at home.  I've made dishes of that ilk wildly guesstimating at 500 times or so after contemplating 40 plus years of cooking and this style being my go to.  Sometimes its more involved sometimes thrown together and far far far simpler.

This weekend I had more time and motivation.  Prepared a mirepoix/soffrito.  Mostly carrot, celery, onion 1:1:2, this time I added some Italian parsley and the last remnants of some spinach leaves.  Lot of extra mirepoix for future dishes.  At times I've made dishes of this ilk with a mirepoix when I had prepared beforehand, and at other times when thrown together and in a rush without.  A stew, gravy, soup, whatever benefit from mirepoix, but in my haste they don't always get it.  The tomato sauce came from a little tomato paste, about equal parts water, a can of pureed tomatoes and about 1 lb of cut up Canadian tomatoes, I'm sure grown in their indoor hydroponic gardens. (I find them okay, not tremendously flavorful).  I added a good bit of garlic into the mirepoix, evidently too much.  Added other spices and some fresher spices at the end.

The sauce simmered for several hours and was coming out to acidic.  Looking around, I opted to try chambord as a sweet berryish add on.  That was a first.  The inspiration was the strawberry tomato sauce made by Rose's Luxury, and in various other recipes.  It worked.  Cut the acid, added a slight level of mellowing sweetness and a tinge of blueberry/berry flavor--just a tinge.  It was quite nice. I'd do it again...and even again.

The sausage was a probably pedestrian pound from TJ.  I think it was sweet Italian.  Its so so.  Not great not bad.  Rotini was boxed not fresh.  The keys to me are the mirepoix at the beginning and giving the sauce ample time to simmer while tasting all along and adjusting to taste.  Fresh good pasta is a big improvement.  (I've never made my own)

In any case it was quite tasty and there is extra......BUT...Red Hen's version knocks it out of the park.  I wish I lived above the restaurant.

• Like 2

Sunday night I made a vegetarian meal of lentils, rice, and tofu.  It was more or else improvised. I dusted drained and pressed cubed tofu with a little bit of cornstarch and fried it up in a skillet while I made the rest.  I caramelized some onions in a mix of butter and oil in a pot and added strips of red bell pepper when they were about done. I pushed that as much to the side as I could and toasted some extra thin egg noodles in the empty space. Then I added the rinsed rice and lentils: One cup brown rice, about 1/2 cup or so of green lentils, and 3 cups water. I seasoned with cumin, salt, and pepper, covered and simmered until the water was mostly absorbed. I added the tofu and some chopped parsley, mixed it up, and let things cook a bit more, uncovered, over low heat. It was very comfort food-y. The only other thing we had was some baguette slices.

Last night we had more of that, along with roasted curried whole carrots and a Japanese sweet potato that we split. I had bought it along with other sweet potatoes at Whole Foods the previous week, selecting it because of its size and not noticing it was a different variety than the others I bought. After roasting it on a sheet pan with the carrots, rolling it in the excess oil and seasoning, I cut it open to find a white potato, well beige-ish. I looked online and discovered someone did a primer on sweet potato varieties based on ones at his or her local WF, and sure enough, I recognized mine as a Japanese sweet potato. I didn't find it very sweet, but it was also seasoned with the residual spices. Very nice.

• Like 1

Spiced beef matzo pie
Roasted beets and corn on the cob

I saw the bicolor corn (from Florida) at Whole Foods and bought an ear on impulse. I removed the silk, rubbed some butter on the kernels, sprinkled on some salt and pepper and pulled the husks back up. Wrapped in foil, it went in the oven with a foil packet of beets to roast/bake. Kind of an odd veg combination, but I've been getting bored with the vegetables and preparations we've been having and decided to bring in something different. I gave the corn to my husband, so I don't know how it was, but I didn't hear any complaints. We haven't had red beets at home in quite some time, not since the leftover container of beets spilled in the fridge. So, even though the special was 2 bunches of beets for $4, I only bought one bunch of three beets, knowing we'd finish them in one meal. Beet juice is really hard to clean out of a refrigerator.

The beef-matzo concoction was a recipe I found online. It didn't hold together as well as it was supposed to, but that may have been user error. It tasted okay and it was different. Also worked with the changed-up vegetables.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, DaveO said:

Over the weekend I made a sausage/rotini/sauce ragu dish.  Its been on my mind since having only recently tasted the famed version at Red Hen

Several days later the first taste of extra left over ragu with sausage came out great.  Always the sign of a better made stew/sauce. 

Really and surprisingly good....but alas not even a remote match to the stunning version at Red Hen.  

• Like 1

I didn't feel like cooking dinner after getting back from the Nats game yesterday. I figured chicken nachos made with rotisserie chicken (which I had in the refrigerator) would be fast. It would have been faster if I hadn't realized too late I was out of canned refried beans. (I don't know why I was so wedded to the idea of refrieds as opposed to any other beans or no beans at all, but I was.) So I found a big can of pinto beans in the pantry and made my own. I bloomed some dry spices in oil (cumin, cayenne, garlic and onion powders, and black pepper) and then added about half the can of drained rinsed beans and a little Cholula. Then I slowly warmed the beans and mashed with a wooden spoon until I had them broken up to the right consistency. I made more than I intended to, so we had a lot of refried beans on our nachos. The other toppings were shredded chicken breast (natch), sliced black olives, jalapeño slices, mozzarella, and cheddar. Right near the end of the heating time, I pulled the pan out and drizzled some tomato salsa over the top and added some chopped avocado and dollops of sour cream. This went back in for a minute or two. Served with more sour cream and extra chips.

• Like 1

A riff on Thai larb salad and cold sesame noodles: "coodles" (cucumber ribbons created with the Vegetti) and shredded roasted chicken topped with sliced red jalapeños, cilantro and chopped peanuts.  The dressing consisted of ginger garlic paste,  rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, hot chili oil, peanut butter and salt.  The dressing needed the funk of fish sauce, which I thought I had, but I did not.

It was pretty tasty and the cucumber noodles kept it quite light.  I am going to remember this when the Florida summer heat becomes too oppressive for real cooking. 

• Like 1

This entire meal was purchased at The Organic Butcher - I’m not on the take; just a satisfied (and frequent!) customer.

Wild-caught, pan-seared North Atlantic Cod (I didn’t recognize, and can’t find, the name of it (a type of cod? a fishery?), with “Wild Boar and Bacon” sausage, roasted cauliflower, just a few drippings of butter-lemon-caper sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan - finished in the oven with some butter, capers, and lemon zest (salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of garlic powder). 

Literally everything except the finishing spices was purchased at The Organic Butcher. I love this place, and spend accordingly. This platter of food would be over $100 in a restaurant (that's a large serving spoon), if you could ever find it, and it wouldn't be this good.

B6388201-35B1-4CE5-A6C2-4D385C23CEF1.jpeg

Thank you to DIShGo for her superior cooking skills - I can take credit for the ingredients, but no more than that.

• Like 2

Small pork loin roast with prunes and shallot
Roasted broccoli
Leftover pinto beans and rice

I cooked the prunes by the method used in The French Laundry Cookbook to make the prune component of a much more complicated dish.  It involves simmering 10 prunes in 1 cup of chicken stock for about 20 minutes until they are tender and the liquid is basically cooked down/absorbed. Then the prunes get chopped and mixed with chopped shallot. Since this wasn't getting cooked any further, I sautéed the shallot briefly before mixing with the chopped prunes. I went wild and added a fairly big sprig of rosemary to the (homemade) stock for the simmering.(I had roasted the pork with some rosemary sprigs above and below it.)  I also included the small amount of syrupy glaze that was left at the end of the simmering when I topped the pork with the fruit. The prunes were a good complement to the pork.

• Like 2

Bucatini with a cooked sauce of halved multi-colored cherry tomatoes, basil, and olive oil
Chicken pesto salad with toasted walnuts, halved cherry tomatoes, and avocado

Both of these would have been better with height-of-the-season tomatoes, but it felt nice to get a preview of summer, weather- and food-wise.

This weekend I made: homemade hummus with crudites, pasta salad with pepperoni, roasted bell peppers, tomatoes, squash and onions.  I also made a black eyed pea curry, with jasmine rice and biscuits (it was sort of halfway between Indian and Southern).  

Turns out the kiddos will eat chana masala (interestingly enough, the big kid wants them mashed into the sauce but the baby loves eating whole chick peas) so we made another double batch, along with a pile of pizzas (cheese, pepperoni, white sauce with mushrooms), and a big skillet of sauteed zucchini. Should be good to go for a few days without cooking on work nights.

French omelette attempt #1 - massive fail.

1. Think the pan was damaged - that didn’t help things

2. As I was agitating the eggs, the periphery was cooking and center wasn’t and it just wouldn’t curd up fast enough.

3. The pan size (small) may have led to number 2

4. The outside brown much faster than inside cooked.

Tasted fine, looked lame. Embarrassed to post but maybe someone had a similar result. Guess I’ll have to keep the day job.

Tips and trips appreciated. Went with Serious Eats video. 

655D98A1-499A-49E2-9E54-1738404383C1.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcandohio said:

Last night I finally took all of the hoarded frozen chicken bones  and added them to the carcass of a grocery store rotisserie chicken, and made stock.  So now I have to decide what happens next, and I'm thinking about a chicken chili. 

Last time I made chicken soup, made Sopa de Ajo, and it was ridonkulous

Last night was leftover brisket sliced thin on baguette with butter, muenster cheese, melted, served french dip style with a little broth/au jus.  Leftover chinese broccoli with garlic from Hunan Gate and more of the chocolate cookies.  Man the chocolate cookies are good, not to brag, but I might have to give some away or I will eat them all.  I think it was the dark chocolate cocoa powder that really made them good.  I always forget to take picture of stuff, they actually looked really cute on the plate.

• Like 1

Romaine salad, cherry tomatoes, radishes, cucumber; ranch dressing
Pepperoni garlic bread
Charred sumac and oregano chicken wings

Those wings have become a regular in the rotation, such as I have a rotation. They are awesome. It involves cleaning 3 grill pans to get the grilling part of them done in a somewhat efficient fashion, but, otherwise, these are easy.

56 minutes ago, Sundae in the Park said:

Oooh, beauty! How did the baingan bharta taste? I've tried making it literally dozens of times but was never satisfied with the results (it never looked or tasted quite right). Would you mind sharing the recipe?

The recipe is from an obscure Indian cook book focusing on Baltistan, which is in the Kashmir area.  I'm not sure if the book is even in print anymore, so I'll see if I can take a photo of the recipe and post.  I have tinkered with the recipe a bit, like adding more tomato to make the dish a little more saucy.  But it is now my go to Baingan recipe.   

• Like 1

Leftover spiced beef matzo soup
Sweet and sour marmalade-glazed oven baked chicken thighs
Orange cauliflower with fresno pepper cheese sauce
Roasted whole multi-colored curried carrots

I'm really liking making whole roasted carrots with olive oil, seasoned mostly with curry powder. I let that spill over onto the cauliflower too, so that gave a slight bit of curry accent to the cauliflower in cheese sauce. I had too much sauce for the amount of cauliflower, so I bought a new small cauliflower to cook and add to the leftovers. 

The marmalade glaze made way too much, so I'm going to cook some other chicken with it in a few days.

Last night we had the leftover chicken wings, along with steamed green beans, rice, and broccoli. I mixed the remaining cheese sauce-heavy cauliflower in with rice and broccoli for serving. I used the last of some homemade chicken broth to cook the (white) rice.

• Like 1

I used my homemade chicken stock to make a pot of Portuguese Caldo Verde,  or kale and potato soup.  I did not think I would be able to find linguiça here in the culinary desert of Fort Lauderdale, so I used a little bit of really good bacon instead.  It is a very simple soup except for the labor of finely shredding all of the kale,  which has to be done with a sharp knife.  I used to spend time in Portugal, and the soup brings me right back. 

• Like 2

Roasted cod with butter and dill
Roasted asparagus
Greek spinach - tortellini salad

The salad recipe was from bhg.com, and it wasn't particularly Greek, except for the use of feta, lemon, and olive oil. I thought some olives would have been good in it but didn't feel like fussing with an extra ingredient. That's kind of the way yesterday went...

The rain stopped in time for me to grill out for my best friend's birthday dinner.  We started with tatziki and carrots for dipping.  I made a salad of kale and arugula with blueberries and sliced almonds and a blackberry vinaigrette.  I seared fillets on a cast iron skillet and accompanied them with an artichoke casserole.  Dessert was Keylime pie from Publix.

• Like 2

Baguette and butter
Sweet and sour orange chicken
Leftover rice with vegetables 
Corn on the cob with butter

I used more of the excess marmalade from the sweet and sour orange chicken thighs and with cubed chicken breast this time. The chicken was served over the reheated leftover rice and topped with chopped cilantro. The corn was an impulse purchase because I was outside Eastern Market right as the vendors were closing down, and they were slashing their prices to unload produce before leaving. I got 4 ears of corn and a quart of strawberries for a grand total of $2. Coincidentally, that was the same price I paid for a bunch of cilantro inside.

I still have a little of the marinade left. I think I'm going to buy a pork tenderloin at Trader Joe's and marinate that.

Last night was a salad with kale and other mixed greens, leftover cold sliced steak, hardboiled egg, roasted butternut squash, carrots and blue cheese dressing.  It was kind of a use up everything in the fridge night.  The next two weeks is use up everything in the fridge time since we will be going on vacay after that.

I mixed two menus up there, for anyone scoring at home:wacko:.

Tuesday was roasted sweet and sour pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes and green beans. Monday was brisket in bbq sauce with baked beans and leftover rice.

Last night was fettuccine with brisket in grape tomato - spinach cream sauce, topped with freshly grated Parmesan. It also had some hot pepper flakes in there.  I was out with friends watching the Nats game on tv and threw that together quickly when I got home. Better than it had a right to be. 

Roasted cod, broccoli, and mushrooms topped with salad

I have been cooking more and more by just throwing everything on a sheet pan and putting it in a hot oven. There are some downsides (e.g., the cooking times aren't really the same for everything, so some foods get cooked a little more than I would using the best specific method and timing for each) but everything comes out more or less well and this approach is less taxing.  Everything tastes good.

A few minutes before the end of the cooking time, I pulled the pan out and tossed a couple of handfuls of baby spinach on top, along with some chopped grape tomatoes, radishes, and cilantro I had in a leftover container in the refrigerator, and returned to the oven until the spinach was just past wilted.  I had cooked the cod with a lot of lemon and there was olive oil on the broccoli, so the salad kind of self-dressed (dressed itself?).

• Like 1

I've been working a lot for the past few weeks, so tonight was the first dinner I've cooked in quite a while. It'll be the last one for the next couple of weeks b/c on Thursday, we fly out to Austin, TX for a week, and then to New Orleans for another week.

We're having

DSC05245-001.JPG.0c5742eba769c9f0485ddf6e0e1a9aab.JPG

DSC05248-001.JPG.451ce025f2c9b7398a4aac6dcea9d205.JPG

DSC05249-001.JPG.89a9273231d393f2345a99f700694d20.JPG

DSC05254-001.JPG.25c82ac882069b5dff6623593e6ec78f.JPG

DSC05255-001.JPG.1cb346db39511be260000dae81b2b3fe.JPG

DSC05258-001.JPG.027c308b67c296900ad406349e32bba9.JPG

DSC05266-001.JPG.ca7e854901d31def62dcbe805536b94f.JPG

dizi (Iranian lamb stew with cinnamon, chickpeas, sumac and dried lime). Contains a base of olive oil and lamb fat, to which was added lamb, onion, cinnamon, dried lime, sumac, turmeric, salt, water, then chickpeas, white beans, potatoes and crushed tomatoes and stewed for 2 1/2 hours. This will be served with an herb plate (parsley, mint, cilantro) and pita bread.

• Like 4

Yesterday I cooked farro in homemade chicken broth and then mixed in sautéed mushrooms, shredded cooked chicken, quartered roasted beets, boiled carrot chunks , and chopped dill. I guess that makes it a grain bowl?

Indian inspired dinner: 

Early yesterday morning I marinated pork loin chops tandoori style (yogurt, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, curry powder, vindaloo seasoning, cayenne).
At the hair salon afterward, I read about one pan meals. Inspiration!
So last evening, I put the marinated chops on a sheet pan with yellow squash and kale, which is what I had in the refrigerator. I tossed the vegetables in olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Also, I squeezed lemon over the chops. 
I cooked everything at 450 for about 12 minutes and served the vegetables over rice with coriander chutney. 
The kale got kind of crispy and it reminded me of the Palak chaat at Rasika (a bit of a stretch - but now I want to experiment with kale chips using Indian seasoning). The chops were juicy with a credible Tandoori flavor. 
A surprisingly easy and satisfying Indian inspired meal that was really healthy. 
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, dcandohio said:

One month later and I finally made it to TJ’s.  I now have the vaunted everything bagel spicing.  (Couldn’t find it elsewhere in the interim)

Pork chops. — Interesting.   Gonna start healthy shaking this spice on a number of dishes

• Like 1