Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

On 4/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

I am intrigued - do you mind sharing details? How big was your tri-tip? Trimmed or untrimmed? 

I bought the tri-tip from Lothar’s in Purcellville. (First time there—excellent German butcher)

it was three pounds, and I spent a little time trimming one side of it. 

Seasoned with salt only, then cooked at 131 for nearly 7 hours. Patted it dry, applied olive oil, then a little more salt, fresh pepper, and garlic salt. Seared over very high heat on my Big Green Egg for a few minutes. 

Great results. Very tender and cooked evenly through. Highly recommended! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/1/2019 at 12:46 PM, Smita Nordwall said:

Can you share the recipe for the chicken, please? 

:)

1 chicken cut into 12 pieces (either do it yourself or have your butcher do it for you)
75 ml olive oil
2 garlic cloves
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
a sprig of rosemary
250 ml pinot grigio
salt
freshly ground black pepper
15 ml red wine vinegar
pitted green and black olives

I have done this with chicken and rabbit, and prefer chicken by far.

Warm olive oil in a pot over medium heat, then add chicken skin side down. Brown meat until a golden crust forms, then turn over. Time is your friend here since the color will wash out in the braise if you don't brown the meat sufficiently.

While the chicken is browning, mince the garlic and the rosemary leaves together. When the meat has browned sufficiently, sprinkle the garlic and rosemary over the chicken. Pour over the wine. Season with salt and black pepper. Raise heat and bring this mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Braise chicken for anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour, 15 minutes depending on the age of the chicken.

When the chicken is done, scatter olives on top and stir in vinegar. Serve immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Last night was chicken breasts (dredged in seasoned flour and cooked in some oil in a skillet), green beans with lemon and butter, and macaroni and cheese enhanced with some of the hot pepper compote left from the plantain dish. We also had cole slaw and crostini (olive oil, garlic, freshly-dried basil*, Parmesan). Adding the compote added a spark to the mac and cheese.

Editing for what I forgot. I have an ongoing problem with my side-by-side refrigerator/freezer. I always try to keep things that can't freeze away from the freezer wall, because having the fridge at the right temperature leads to things there freezing. I had a whole clamshell of basil I'd bought for something freeze recently after it got jostled around and ended up in the bad place. I wasn't sure if it could be salvaged. I decided to dry the leaves as well as I could with paper towels and then oven dry them. I heated the basil on a sheet pan on parchment. 250F for 20 minutes, turned the oven off, and then I let the pan(s) stay in the oven for close to 24 hours. I took them out and crumbled the dried basil. This took an insane amount of time and labor for a minuscule final product but the basil didn't go totally to waste. (There were some leaves that couldn't be salvaged.)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pat said:

Last night was chicken breasts (dredged in seasoned flour and cooked in some oil in a skillet), green beans with lemon and butter, and macaroni and cheese enhanced with some of the hot pepper compote left from the plantain dish. We also had cole slaw and crostini (olive oil, garlic, Parmesan). Adding the compote added a spark to the mac and cheese.

Similar!  Over the weekend we made a lot of baked chicken tenders (that had been marinated with soy, wine, onion powder, and sesame oil), and then last night we had pretty much the same thing but pan-fried.  Both were good but obviously the fried were better.

We've also sauteed a couple heads of cabbage that were lingering after St. Patty's Day sales. The butter-sauteed-soft cabbage was better than the cabbage lightly cooked in some the leftover chicken-frying oil.

Last night we also made a coconut-chicken curry with carrots, potatoes, and onions, eaten with rice or parathas.

• Like 2

I made a hybrid fettuccine dish last night, with fresh straw and hay noodles (from Eastern Market), steamed green vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, and green beans), a cream sauce (butter, heavy cream, sour cream, grated Parmesan), and topped with toasted sliced almonds and more Parmesan. I cut/broke the vegetables all to about the same size (~1 inch), separating the asparagus tips and steaming them separately. I scattered the tips over the serving bowl before adding the final nuts and cheese.

We also had red leaf lettuce and sliced plum and Campari tomatoes with Avocado Green Goddess Dressing (Bolthouse Farms) and toasted buttered baguette slices.

• Like 1

I was given the leftover tray of crudite from an event- because they knew I would use it- ahhhh.  I mean I likely will, but still, the pressure.

So I had a bunch of cauliflower and cherry tomatoes.  I cut up the tomatoes, and made a cauliflower, tomato sweet curry with coconut milk, tarragon, curry powder, garlic, ginger.  I added frozen peas and chicken meatballs from the fridge/freezer.  We had it with rice and naan that was leftover from the birthday dinner I had.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

I was given the leftover tray of crudite from an event- because they knew I would use it- ahhhh.  I mean I likely will, but still, the pressure.

Worst-case, you could just freeze the stuff you can use in soup/stock. I used to have celery guilt because I could never use up a whole bunch before it went bad (heh, we don't really like celery except in soup). BUT!! I figured out that I can save it for later and alleviate all guilt! If I have a little time/the cutting board out already, I dice the stalks so they are ready to be dumped into any mirepoix. If I have no time/energy to deal with it, I just rinse and freeze and throw into a stockpot sometime later. Most of the things that don't freeze well probably roast well so could be made with minimal effort.

Last night we had zucchini fritters with a sour cream sauce, since we were out of yogurt.  So rich!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sundae in the Park said:

Worst-case, you could just freeze the stuff you can use in soup/stock. I used to have celery guilt because I could never use up a whole bunch before it went bad (heh, we don't really like celery except in soup). BUT!! I figured out that I can save it for later and alleviate all guilt! If I have a little time/the cutting board out already, I dice the stalks so they are ready to be dumped into any mirepoix.

Good idea!  I will likely make some quick fridge pickles, as I love pickled carrots and radish, and Hubby likes cucumber quick pickles (I don't mind them, but they aren't my big thing).  And I thought about making a cucumber dip for a meeting I have Tuesday (as I was also given a large thing of crackers to re-use for the meeting).  But there is a pretty hefty bag of stuff left, freezing pre-chopped is genius level thinking, I am not sure why I previously didn't do this.

• Like 1

While the site was down I went to a Brazilian grocery store in my area that I did not know existed.  Two nice and easy dinners resulted from that:

1. Picanha steak sprinkled with coarse salt, seared in a screaming hot pan for just shy of two minutes on each side.  Served with buttered corn.

2.  Smoked pork loin, seared very quickly just to put some color on the outside, served with steamed green beans.

I also bought some different kinds of Charcuterie,  which I enjoyed for lunch with fruit and cheese.  Here in Fort Lauderdale, if you go west of I-95, there are some very interesting ethnic restaurants and grocery stores.

• Like 2

Saturday night was burgers on the grill with cucumber, tomato and shallot salad.

Last night was homemade spinach pasta with broccoli rabe, chili flake, garlic (and a dash of fish sauce because I could not find anchovies anywhere in my pantry?), with parm and pasta water.  It was very pretty, I wish I had taken a picture, darn it.

• Like 2

Saturday:
Red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes; avocado green goddess dressing
Leftover creamy fettuccine with green vegetables, chicken and toasted almonds

Sunday:
Red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes; avocado green goddess dressing
Roasted Chicken Thighs With Peanut Butter Barbecue Sauce
Leftover macaroni and cheese

Last night:
Charred sumac and oregano chicken wings
Tabbouleh

• Like 1

Tonight I made chicken curry out of chicken thighs, with mushrooms and green beans.  By design it was a rather light version, with a base of garlic ginger paste, tomato paste, and chicken stock.  The Penzey’s hot curry powder, for my taste, does a nice job of bringing flavor and some heat.

• Like 2

Last night was a bit of an odd assortment.  I thawed what I thought was two pork chips, but it was one large piece of pork loin chop.  So I pan sauteed it, but it had two bones running through it so I didn't think it was enough meat for two.  So I also pan sauteed a chicken breast that I had made into two portions as it was rather large.  After browning, I added red wine vinegar, butter, some herbs, a little olive oil and put the lid on to finish the chicken and create a pan sauce.  Once I pulled the pork, I added sliced mushrooms and cooked them down in the sauce.  In the oven I roasted carrots and radishes with a little onion in butter.  Served with some rice.  It was tasty, but not really thoughtful looking or lovely plated.

• Like 1

And on Sunday, we had:

DSC00959-001.JPG.ac1a42a3fe39de8f64e9b3509dfab3ca.JPG

DSC00964-001.JPG.7207f64beb7d35d95b8dd86c8690d98c.JPG

DSC00971-001.JPG.8a8ce6e558de13bd6ee1ff07e8b37c8f.JPG

DSC01015-001.JPG.68f0aa5c903c887d01595568adf2aa3c.JPG

DSC00980-001.JPG.f0661b2bea44584a4d777b1b3513a422.JPG

DSC00985-001.JPG.a32ef05b7e8b37dfb1f80ee25636412e.JPG

DSC01002-001.JPG.53022d5dc60839922805412cfaed91fa.JPG

DSC01013-001.JPG.75bcd95f37d6ce36a981c4d23b12dd7e.JPG

DSC01021-001.JPG.396e47e81c6feb7f47881144129f8367.JPG

crostini with ricotta cheese, pistachio, anchovy and olive
roast chicken
roasted vegetables, chicken au jus

The bird was seasoned with salt and black pepper 24 hours in advance, then trussed and roasted at 350 F (176 C) for one hour, twenty minutes.

• Like 2

Nachos last night: a mix of salted and unsalted chips in two layers, mozzarella and cheddar, hot pepper salsa, grilled chicken, avocado, sour cream, black beans. The salsa was leftover from the plantain dish I made a while ago and it's hotter than what I would usually use as a salsa for nachos, so I should have gone a little lighter on that. Because of the heat in the homemade salsa, I didn't add any jalapenos or green chilies to the nachos, which I usually do.

I added some blueberries and toasted sliced almonds to the remaining tabbouleh in the fridge and served that as well.

• Like 2

Turns out that I do not care for corned beef.  My mom made a classic-sounding preparation by cooking it with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes.  The veg and resulting soup were fine but the meat was too soft and weirdly salty yet not (I do NOT think this was the cook's fault!).  For someone that grew up near Boston I can't believe this is my first time having it, but I think I would have remembered...perhaps I tried it when was young and then blocked it out?  Eh, not for me.

Earlier this week/weekend (missed the site while it was down!) we made various pizzas, still more chicken tenders, lentil soup, and turkey-spinach potstickers.

• Like 1

Leftover beef stew and mashed potatoes, plus leftover steamed broccoli with peanut bbq sauce remaining from the chicken recipe I make a few days back. My husband loved the peanut sauce on the broccoli.

(The chicken and bbq sauce recipe is behind the separate NYT Cooking paywall, but for anybody who has a way to get access, here.)

• Like 1

I made this Food and Wine recipe for Mapo Eggplant.  I upped the chili sauce as I wanted it spicier, and I added bok choy and lotus root as I didn't have quite as much eggplant as called for in the recipe.  Served with wild and brown rice.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ma-po-eggplant-in-garlic-sauce  Hubby despite not liking mapo tofu, and not being very excited when I said mapo eggplant, ate two helpings so, I think we did good.

---

Lotus Root (Smita Nordwall)

• Like 1

When Tweaked posted his dinner with Shaking Tofu a couple of weeks ago, I decided to put that on an upcoming menu to use a block of extra firm tofu I had in the refrigerator. So, last night I made an Andrea Nguyen recipe for the dish. It came out quite well. I used soy sauce rather than the Bragg Liquid Aminos. I'm not sure how well the leftover salad is going to hold up. I'm thinking of heating the leftovers in a quick beef ramen soup.

We also had leftover chicken wings, with carrots, celery, and ranch/blue cheese dressing.

• Like 4

Not much cooking this weekend.

On Saturday (April 13), we had an early dinner party with friends where we all cooked from

DSC01056-001.JPG.31c08195d6a9468a512627ae352ca7da.JPG

this was my contribution:

DSC01029-001.JPG.ad1ce85fa67592a8716cbe2616541fe4.JPG

DSC01032-001.JPG.f7190d49e45e59660a5b1e9d70c52038.JPG

DSC01035-001.JPG.f36fe7b934572989b21666201cfa47ea.JPG

DSC01038-001.JPG.2c546966cef2a5e796626e553d618d78.JPG

DSC01042-001.JPG.5f250995b05ded82f6c0964d5c3de89f.JPG

DSC01043-001.JPG.613f56004034b969de9f4c68224f3e94.JPG

DSC01048-001.JPG.51f9387fa12065dafeda377e8bd829e9.JPG

Haricots mange-tout à l'étuvée from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle and Simone Beck, page 448 (40th anniversary edition).

1 1/2 kg wax beans
28 g softened butter
225 g diced onions
salt
black pepper
herb bouquet - bay leaf, parsley, thyme
350 g shredded Boston lettuce
112 g butter
350 ml chicken stock
400 ml light cream
minced parsley

I had to drain the liquid in the Dutch oven right before adding the cream. That's probably my only criticism because made as written, the liquid didn't evaporate like it says in the recipe.

This will get made again - and when that happens, I'll be altering the method and ingredients. For one, the amount of chicken stock and cream will be reduced.

There were also these:

DSC01059-001.JPG.ece4b9ce456ede2f2570d74f05366ff7.JPG

endive gratin with ham.

DSC01062-001.JPG.1c0454e5e1e60019f9d61129d8bf1d2c.JPG

daube de boeuf

DSC01065-001.JPG.808b4e0f0fcf5ba76821517ecc9e1d4b.JPG

I don't remember what these were...

DSC01066-001.JPG.4cd0eba11d0d12dd9c111d236e0382ae.JPG

petits chaussons with Roquefort

DSC01069-001.JPG.d3461b19a0e4906101cc389cb1810258.JPG

strawberry tart

DSC01072-001.JPG.e9aa06808873c7a301bbb957d5276ffa.JPG

mousse au chocolat

this had a touch of Cognac for that extra-special je ne sais quoi

• Like 3

On 4/14/2019 at 8:31 AM, Pat said:

When Tweaked posted his dinner with Shaking Tofu a couple of weeks ago, I decided to put that on an upcoming menu to use a block of extra firm tofu I had in the refrigerator. So, last night I made an Andrea Nguyen recipe for the dish. It came out quite well. I used soy sauce rather than the Bragg Liquid Aminos. I'm not sure how well the leftover salad is going to hold up. I'm thinking of heating the leftovers in a quick beef ramen soup.

We also had leftover chicken wings, with carrots, celery, and ranch/blue cheese dressing.

So I have Andrea's Vietnamese Food Any Day cookbook (very good btw), and I have found that using the Shaking Beef marinade but then applying it to the Shaking Tofu recipe is very successful.

Basically mix together the oyster sauce through garlic ingredients under the beef section, but then follow the cooking directions for the Shaking Tofu recipe.  The combination of the oyster sauce and fish sauce is pretty killer and more flavorful than just using soy sauce or the liquid aminos.  I've found that adding about one Tablespoon of water to the marinade helps loosen it  up a bit, and the final sauce is less gloopy.

It's become one of my go to tofu recipes.   

• Like 2

DSC01075-001.JPG.1afdd161897a0ee4700c32ad0884a763.JPG

DSC01082-001.JPG.d74118ad1ada701526e300fa4d7199c2.JPG

DSC01087-001.JPG.d690042ebf16c4854728490a22d57484.JPG

DSC01084-001.JPG.c001ab2b532f06d1aa3c00bdd356a54a.JPG

Spaghetti with scallops, garlic, parsley and hot pepper, from "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" by Marcella Hazan, pages 185-186.

1/2 kg deep sea scallops or bay scallops
olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
30 g chopped parsley
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt
cooked spaghetti
toasted breadcrumbs

This is probably my favorite pasta recipe in that book. It's much better than the tomato-butter-onion sauce in my opinion.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tweaked said:

So I have Andrea's Vietnamese Food Any Day cookbook (very good btw), and I have found that using the Shaking Beef marinade but then applying it to the Shaking Tofu recipe is very successful.

Basically mix together the oyster sauce through garlic ingredients under the beef section, but then follow the cooking directions for the Shaking Tofu recipe.  The combination of the oyster sauce and fish sauce is pretty killer and more flavorful than just using soy sauce or the liquid aminos.  I've found that adding about one Tablespoon of water to the marinade helps loosen it  up a bit, and the final sauce is less gloopy.

It's become one of my go to tofu recipes.   

Thanks for the suggestion! I've wondered about getting that cookbook too.

The leftovers of this, btw, were good as a quick ramen soup for lunch. I ended up using chicken broth and adding some sauteed mushrooms in hot sesame oil, extra herbs, and toasted cashew pieces on top. The salad greens were already wilted and did fine holding up to a short simmer as the soup came together.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, TrelayneNYC said:

Spaghetti with scallops, garlic, parsley and hot pepper, from "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" by Marcella Hazan, pages 185-186.

1/2 kg deep sea scallops or bay scallops
olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
30 g chopped parsley
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt
cooked spaghetti
toasted breadcrumbs

This is probably my favorite pasta recipe in that book. It's much better than the tomato-butter-onion sauce in my opinion.

Oooooooh, this looks beautiful and doable! How much flavor would you say comes from the brininess of the scallops? Would a sub for chicken be too bland?

Over the weekend we made a vegetarian Thai red curry (cauliflower, eggplant, red peppers, and mushrooms) that didn't suffer at all from the lack of our usual chicken. Similarly, we made a vegetarian good things salad (sauteed corn and peppers, black beans, cherry tomatoes, avocados, with cilantro-cumin vinaigrette.  I had run out of chix breasts in the freezer and didn't feel like running out to grab more, and these recipes weren't hurt a bit.  A good reminder that meat isn't always necessary, especially when you already have such strong flavors going on.  The good things salad is great as a hearty dip with tortilla chips or even Doritos!!

Yesterday I made a batch of curried cauliflower soup, which was way too bland. I'd run out of broth/stock so used water and bullion instead and it was meh (also, I forgot to sweat the aromatics first and boiled onion does basically nothing).  A potato thickened it up nicely but the flavor is begging :(  More successfully, we made a batch of grilled gochujang chicken thighs, jap chae, brownies, roasted asparagus and squash, and pan de yuca ("cheesy bread").  We happened to have some friends over and the adults ate everything except the soup (that's gonna be all me, sigh) while the kids ate a few bites of cheesy breads, the contents of the fruit bowl (" Who wants a banana? Some apple? An orange? Avocados? The rest of the frozen blueberries?"), chips, yogurt, and many brownies.

• Like 1

Last night was a broccoli and cauliflower centered meal. I made a broccoli salad out of some that had been previously steamed and was in the refrigerator. I used Bolthouse Farms Avocado - Green Goddess dressing (I really like this stuff) to coat the broccoli and then added raisins, bacon, chopped celery, and bits of toasted pecan.

For the remainder of our cruciferous meal, I roasted cauliflower florets from a medium to large head with evoo, garlic powder, onion powder, s + p, and more of the home-dried fresh basil I'm working through. When that got nice and brown I pulled it out and lowered the oven temperature.  I mixed al dente cavatappi with some Rao's vodka pasta sauce. (I have no idea why I bought that except it was on sale, but it worked well.)  Then I tossed the cauliflower with the pasta in sauce and some grated Parmesan in a casserole, topped with more Parm and rye bread crumbs drizzled with evoo, and baked until everything was fully casserole-d.

My husband loved the meal (vegetarian except for the bacon.) I'm definitely making the cauliflower pasta again. The shape of the pasta worked well with the shape of the cauliflower florets.

• Like 2

Just now, Pat said:

Last night was a broccoli and cauliflower centered meal. I made a broccoli salad out of some that had been previously steamed and was in the refrigerator. I used Bolthouse Farms Avocado - Green Goddess dressing (I really like this stuff) to coat the broccoli and then added raisins, bacon, chopped celery, and bits of toasted pecan.

This is too funny.  Just the other day I went to Harris Teeter across from my office to grab a salad.  They had an old fashioned broccoli salad (bacon, probably mayo and not GG dressing and a few other things)  that I ended up getting and it really made me crave this salad, potentially sans raisins.  

Last night was dinosaur sized pork chops from Costco (I thought they were stacked and they were thick cut, not double chops, but they were in fact HUGE double chops) with mural of flavor seasoning from Penzey's.  Seared then baked in the oven.  On the side was cherry tomatoes, squash, onion and spinach sauteed in olive oil with parsley and oregano.  We couldn't eat all of the chops, so I need to figure out what I want to do with some leftover pork chop pieces.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Last night was dinosaur sized pork chops from Costco (I thought they were stacked and they were thick cut, not double chops, but they were in fact HUGE double chops) with mural of flavor seasoning from Penzey's.  Seared then baked in the oven.  On the side was cherry tomatoes, squash, onion and spinach sauteed in olive oil with parsley and oregano.  We couldn't eat all of the chops, so I need to figure out what I want to do with some leftover pork chop pieces.

Were these the loin chops? I haven't bought them in a while but I used to butterfly them and use one for two people. 

13 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

Were these the loin chops? I haven't bought them in a while but I used to butterfly them and use one for two people. 

These are still on the bone, so you could cut them off the bone and butterfly them. 

Last night was cavatelli with red sauce and the last of the chicken meatballs (Hubby fessed up that he didn't really like these much, although said they were better in red sauce, and likes the frozen  Restaurant Depot, so we likely won't get them again.) With some fresh herbs and parm.

Dinner was a sheet pan pizza last night: pepperoni, sliced tomatoes, sauteed button mushrooms, fresh basil, goat cheese, mozzarella, and grated Parmesan. I used a little jarred marinara sauce for the base.

• Like 1

Last night was cuban pressed flatbread sandwiches- Sliced pork left over from the dinosaur sized chops, ham, we didn't have swiss so I subbed one slice american, one slice pepper jack and fridge pickles I just made, all in naan flatbreads, that I folded over and pressed on the skillet.  It wasn't a traditional cuban, but it was good.  Hubby laughed that I forgot to take a picture, I have been kicking myself lately as I have made some nicely plated meals and forgotten to photograph.  

• Like 2

Grilled cheese on rye and tomato soup last night. The tomato soup featured meatballs from the freezer, a recipe idea I found on a blog some time ago. Same recipe calls for a cup of coconut milk in the soup. I used low-fat.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 9:40 AM, Sundae in the Park said:

Oooooooh, this looks beautiful and doable! How much flavor would you say comes from the brininess of the scallops? Would a sub for chicken be too bland?

It's one of those minimalist pasta sauces. You do need great scallops to pull it off.

I don't think chicken could be subbed, but maybe try it and see.

For tonight, we're having

DSC01101-001.JPG.cced170d97ad9fe8c285d3bcb1d80c76.JPG

DSC01104-001.JPG.2dab72b7abe579751f439d011018b20b.JPG

DSC01112-001.JPG.1637a8aedc12ab28033413bf93d009ec.JPG

DSC01116-001.JPG.bef5e86c68b974c7831dcbab0f22e094.JPG

DSC01119-001.JPG.bca84acd472b7b3c56d4ea3fef0d4f03.JPG

DSC01125-001.JPG.149315672a3db911fe79fd25c1d564bf.JPG

DSC01137-001.JPG.328d2933da57449a1c57b4610f80435a.JPG

DSC01141-001.JPG.9511af0e8aa43eff9ccfe9750981509f.JPG

DSC01158-001.JPG.dff3b77b61fc077673c3b0eade61a7b0.JPG

DSC01163-001.JPG.50ce54f35fe13978ec10a5df5271d23a.JPG

Shakshuka
Everyday Palestinian salad

Both are from "Zaitoun". You should buy this cookbook.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found ramps at Eastern Market and thought they'd be good with the steak I had planned. So, I broke out the grill pans and we had grilled ramps and asparagus with sherry vinaigrette along with grilled boneless sirloin. I had some ramp butter still in the freezer from last ramp season and so topped the steaks with some of that. And, because nothing says "fresh Spring farmers market vegetables" like frozen Trader Joe's french fries, I baked up some of those too. (I'd been craving fries al day.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's Moroccan night tonight at Casa TrelayneSF

DSC01167-001.JPG.fdb361ffc7394358d477612a00a39dd7.JPG

DSC01172-001.JPG.cf060d3837b33dff03a653c2f69bbbef.JPG

DSC01174-001.JPG.8ad8bb0e3b870f58809e9e4f09a93efb.JPG

DSC01176-001.JPG.6bf83e8af1ff0a9f36eab2f5e65aad96.JPG

DSC01179-001.JPG.8763ef70f08368b39ae5fcb1a4d81c5f.JPG

DSC01184-001.JPG.dec5a456d0b4e5bd6242d34f4875c686.JPG

DSC01187-001.JPG.042abd2a9cc134ce361f1b5acefd1e14.JPG

DSC01190-001.JPG.bda9d4bbef9e6c27dcf67fac02b5bcef.JPG

DSC01199-001.JPG.89d0c04083eb65f62da79c8bbc787ce0.JPG

DSC01203-001.JPG.85fc218683f8135cd5fa49257d9b8c00.JPG

DSC01210-001.JPG.56e0a0fab49fca5ae4d3630b291828ba.JPG

DSC01229-001.JPG.d2c27c66983cc377f6bcab7df9d084b4.JPG

DSC01216-001.JPG.3613a84c6684ac9c3f11101430cee463.JPG

Chicken tagine with green olives and preserved Meyer lemon
Cara Cara orange salad with red onion and olives

The chicken was marinated for 24 hours in a mixture of grated onion, sliced ginger, crushed garlic, saffron, cilantro leaves, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and olive oil. The tagine is straight forward - it's basically braised chicken. Use a Dutch oven or similar pot if you're like me and you don't own a tagine (cooking vessel).

Both are from Tagines and Couscous by Ghillie Basan, pages 57 and 140 respectively.

• Like 2

Easter dinner:

Starters were Serrano ham and cantaloupe,  and Manchego cheese and various crackers.

I topped steelhead trout with a mixture of chopped Kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper, garlic and pomegranate balsamic vinegar.  Those went into the oven alongside a pan of asparagus with just salt pepper and olive oil.  While the fish cooked, I sautéed some riced cauliflower until it was pretty dry, then added some garlic, and let that infuse, and then added chopped up artichoke hearts, lemon juice and Parmesan.  I plated the fish on top of the cauliflower rice, and with the asparagus spears, the plate looked rather pretty. 

Dessert was supermarket Keylime pie, as requested by The guests. 

61FDC0A8-BA27-4835-9DEE-863243AEF2C7.jpeg

• Like 2

Easter dinner:

Spring mix, feta and sliced strawberries; sherry vinaigrettte
Roast leg of lamb with potatoes and onions
Steamed green beans, lemon and butter

I'd never made the lamb recipe before and it was fantastic. It's from Vol. 2 of The San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook. The potatoes and onions are simmered in beef broth for 10 minutes before they and the liquid go into a large greased baking dish in a 400F oven. They bake 20 minutes, come back out, and are topped with a 5 lb. leg of lamb. The lamb has had slivers of garlic inserted and been rubbed with a mixture of 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 1/2 tsp. (combined) dried thyme, rosemary, savory, and marjoram, plus salt and pepper. It all goes back in the oven, turned down to 375F, for 1 hour for medium rare. The temperature was still reading a little low at 1 hour, so I let it go a bit longer. Ultimately, I went 20 more minutes, which I think was a little bit too long; 15 probably would have been better. Then, after resting 20 minutes, it's carved and served over the onions and potatoes. Absolutely delicious.

• Like 3

Easterish items from yesterday were a giant batch of hot cross buns and chicken marsala with soooo many mushrooms.

Other cooking from the weekend included a batch of spaghetti and meat sauce, a chicken/bean/corn enchilada bake (casserole version of enchiladas), impromptu corn chowder when I couldn't bear to throw away the corn cobs without making some broth, and roasted squash.

• Like 1

Last night was roasted tomatoes, zucchini, onion in a white wine, lemon, garlic and butter sauce, when they were mostly done, I added shrimp.  Served over some black rice.

The night before was pork loin sandwich with roasted red pepper, spinach and pepperjack, griddled.

• Like 2

Lamb pitas (tzatziki, chopped tomato)
Zucchini-feta fritters (mint, dill)

Feta would have been nice in the pitas but seemed like overkill with the amount of feta that went into the fritters.

• Like 3

That sounds great Pat!

We had a pasta salad last night with cucumber, green pepper, feta, pepperoni, olives and cherry tomatoes.  I made a sort of Italian/Greek style dressing with what I had- oil, vinegar, herbs, garlic powder, a dash of Worcestishire, a splash of lime juice (was out of lemons), caper juice, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper.  

• Like 3