Advice Needed: A Group Night On The Town

erikv

I have been put in charge to find a place to take 9 co-workers (plus dates, 18 total). Price isn't too much of an issue, but having a diverse menu would be important. I apologize if this isn't the correct venue for this post, but I know I would get some great recommendations here. Thanks!

Location?  And you've gotta give us a little bit of a price view--there's a big gap between Oyamel and Vidalia...

The consensus seems to be that people want to celebrate with "a night on the town" in either DC or Old Town. While the date has not been set, we anticipate trying to go on a Friday or Saturday within the next 6 weeks (once we can coordinate everyone's schedule). There are no special needs of anyone in the party other than wanting to be able to select between fish/meat and possibly pasta. We have a budget of around 4k for the night, so that comes out to around $222/person. Ideally, I'd like to stay perhaps a tad under this range while finding a place with excellent food that has an atmosphere that isn't too "stuffy" where my team can celebrate (ie: be possibly slightly overserved and loud at times).

Thanks

You can pretty much eat anywhere you want for $222 a person. The biggest issue would be the size of your group, which would possibly exclude Citronelle, CityZen, etc.

You could go to the DR.com Cafeteria (aka Corduroy) and just go crazy on wine and enjoy some of the city's best food. The biggest hurdle won't be the price, it will be whether a restaurant wants to take a party of 18 on a Friday.

I imagine if you tell restaurants your budget most would acquiesce. <_<

eta: I cannot spell and type.

Edited by B.A.R.

Fogo do Chao, if you're into that sort of thing.  It's basically what they're designed to do.

Are you kidding? Someone posts on DR for a nice dinner at $200 a person and you recommend Fogo de Chao? Especially since they need veggie and pasta options.

Citronelle has private rooms of multiple sizes which could accomodate your group. The menu easily accomodates your needs.

Corduroy has great food and would probably prepare a special tasting menu for your group. The menu itself is fabulous and suits your needs.

I haven't been but people rave about Eve on this board and again the menu should accomodate your requests. It is in Old Town so a bit of a different geography than in DC.

Overall when I am planning events as you have been asked to do, I look for consistent food and service. I don't think you can go wrong with Citronelle, Eve or Corduroy.

Let us know where you choose.

Are you kidding?  Someone posts on DR for a nice dinner at $200 a person and you recommend Fogo de Chao?  Especially since they need veggie and pasta options. 

Citronelle has private rooms of multiple sizes which could accomodate your group.  The menu easily accomodates your needs.

Corduroy has great food and would probably prepare a special tasting menu for your group.  The menu itself is fabulous and suits your needs.

I haven't been but people rave about Eve on this board and again the menu should accomodate your requests.  It is in Old Town so a bit of a different geography than in DC. 

Overall when I am planning events as you have been asked to do, I look for consistent food and service.  I don't think you can go wrong with Citronelle, Eve or Corduroy. 

Let us know where you choose.

I wish it were entirely up to me, but I am going to ask for feedback from my team and try to do things democratically....But I'll let everyone know where we decide.

Are you kidding?  Someone posts on DR for a nice dinner at $200 a person and you recommend Fogo de Chao?  Especially since they need veggie and pasta options. 

I recommended it after I recommended Vidalia, which I think is the clear best choice, and I appended "if you're into that sort of thing," because, well, plenty of folks are.

Here's my take on the places that have been recommended:

Firefly-Back room might not be big enough, not expensive enough

Citronelle--too expensive

Corduroy-no private room

Vidalia-too stuffy

I would consider a place like Oceanaire-private rooms, diverse menu heavily slanted towards seafood but there is meat, good wine list. Perhaps Old Ebbitt Grill as well. Any one of the steak places could handle it was well, such as Sam & Harrys, Smith & Wollensky's, Capitol Grill.

I would explore the possibility of "taking over" Laboratorio. With 18 people and $4000 Roberto might do it. The trick is going to be the Friday or Saturday which could be difficult since they are usually booked a month or more in advance. But it's worth a shot. If you could do a weeknight and have some flexibility this would be an absolutely awesome experience, I think topping anything else in the city.

Alternatively:

Maestro has a private room which may hold 18. I think the limit is 16 but you may want to double check. The price-with modest wine-would probably be in the mid 200's all in. The Lab would probably be similar to this, too.

CityZen has a private room with a huge round table behind it's main dining room. This could also be an option since the open kitchen is only a few feet from you.

I fuckin' hate private rooms. Characterless, windowless, charmless. There may be exceptions, but none come to mind.

When my wife's firm was in town, we had an OK meal in the front alcove in Equinox and an excellent repast for somewhere around 16 at Marcel's along the front of the main room -- Marcel's has a bigger space somewhere, too, but I haven't seen it. Well worth making inquiries.

I had dinner for 10 at a charming, non-private room at the Tabard the other night, it was small enough that mostly took it over, but it had a nice open feel -- windows, decor and so on. I've also eaten in an uncharming private room at the Tabard lately.

Way back when, Restaurant Nora had a glassed-in back patio that mid-sized groups could take over.

Start calling soon, for a weekend night.

What about the Oval Room? New Chef has gotten positive reviews from Rockweilers Mark Slater and Waitman, and apparently they aren't too busy on weekends to boot. For 2+ Benjamins pp, I am sure they would fall all over themselves to have you.

If you're OK with not using the whole $$ allotment, I bet you could have a grand and festive old time in the private room at Dino, which holds 20. Diverse menu and plenty of courses to try out. And wine. So much wine.

My first instinct was also Corduroy but depending on how loud you get, the other diners might get all evil-eye on you.

Can someone who's been to Rasika chime in with whether it's appropriate? Or maybe Ceiba, Acadiana, something in the Tunks empire?

If you're OK with not using the whole $$ allotment, I bet you could have a grand and festive old time in the private room at Dino, which holds 20. Diverse menu and plenty of courses to try out. And wine. So much wine.

My first instinct was also Corduroy but depending on how loud you get, the other diners might get all evil-eye on you.

Can someone who's been to Rasika chime in with whether it's appropriate? Or maybe Ceiba, Acadiana, something in the Tunks empire?

I appreciate everyone's advice! I am compiling a list of potential places and will then get feedback from co-workers to help narrow things down a bit. I think I am going to steer clear from Rasika, Ceiba, Acadiana, or anything that might have too much emphasis on spice to the palates of some of my co-workers.

I'm with Porcupine: the private room at 2941 left me cold. The dinner was fun and delicious, but the atmosphere wasn't anything like the main restaurant. I could have been in any banquet room anywhere.

The private dining room at Maestro is really lovely, and it does have a window looking in on the kitchen. I think the limit is 16, however (best to check on this). The Ritz-Carlton might have another room that could work, however (I don't know if they do or not).

We went to a wine tasting and dinner at Acadiana held in one of their banquet rooms. There was a fair amount of room, the service was good and the food as well. (and the wine was wonderful). There are windows so you aren't tucked away in a closet, and yet far enough away that you don't disturb or are disturbed by others.

eh, really?  The waterfall was nice - what I could see of it after dark - but otherwise it felt like a hotel meeting room. <shudder>

I agree completely. What can you see at night from a lit room from inside? Other than that, the room itself was bare and there were no table decorations of any kind. Thank God, the company was terrific. <_<

eh, really?  The waterfall was nice - what I could see of it after dark - but otherwise it felt like a hotel meeting room. <shudder>

I'm with Porcupine: the private room at 2941 left me cold.  The dinner was fun and delicious, but the atmosphere wasn't anything like the main restaurant.  I could have been in any banquet room anywhere.

I agree completely.  What can you see at night from a lit room from inside?  Other than that, the room itself was bare and there were no table decorations of any kind.  Thank God, the company was terrific. ;)

I feel badly about this - one evening I was shown the private rooms, and when the gentleman flipped on the lights, I was taken by the waterfall and thought wow, what a cool place for a group dinner this would be. I didn't really take the time to actually sit down and take a close look at the room, tables, and chairs like I should have.

Sorry, <_<

Rocks

I feel badly about this - one evening I was shown the private rooms, and when the gentleman flipped on the lights, I was taken by the waterfall and thought wow, what a cool place for a group dinner this would be.  I didn't really take the time to actually sit down and take a close look at the room, tables, and chairs like I should have.

Sorry, <_<

Rocks

Oh Sweetie, NOBODY thinks ill of you about the room! We had a good time, honest! It just wasn't the same as the main dining room. But that is not your fault!

Hugs!

I feel badly about this - one evening I was shown the private rooms, and when the gentleman flipped on the lights, I was taken by the waterfall and thought wow, what a cool place for a group dinner this would be.  I didn't really take the time to actually sit down and take a close look at the room, tables, and chairs like I should have.

Sorry, <_<

Rocks

What Scottee said! I think it's possible the other, smaller, room next door may have a better view of the waterfall than the one where our dinner was. I also think that a mid-summer evening, with later/longer daylight, would likely show off the waterfall to much better advantage. I also noticed what looked like a third, much posher, private room across from the other two. Not sure if it's part of the restaurant, but it looked really nice...

I just returned an hour ago from a private dinner for 22 at 2941. We were in one of the SEVERAL private rooms they have. It was outstanding. No, not quite as spectacular a setting as the main dining room after dark but still, well worth giving serious consideration. Perhaps a visit to after dark to check out for yourself. Frankly, based on this vist, 2941 was much better than I remember from a dinner about two years ago.

We'll be back. Soon.

I should also add that tomorrow night we have dinner in a private room at Willow. Two weeks ago my trade association had dinner at the Willard. Past dinners have included the Capital Grille, DC Coast and a slew of others. 2941 was the equal to any.

Still, if you can swing it go to Laboratorio. It is one of a kind.

Edited by Joe H

There is a smaller private room at 2941 in the back of the main room near the kitchen that feels much more like a part of the restaurant.

Another private room that seems appealing to me is at Charlie Palmer Steak. I've only seen it from the dining room, but it appears that it shares the same spectacular view up Capitol Hill at the illuminated Dome with the dining room.

But, as with most private rooms, you are required to go with a limited menu for groups over 12.

I feel badly about this<snip>

Sorry, <_<

Rocks

No, don't! The dinner was a wonderful experience and you are a minor god for having this website and doing all that you do for us. I just wish you'd show up a bit more often and let us celebrate you and embarass the hell out of you.

Marcel's may also be a good choice. They have a private room in the back.  The food is wonderful and the wine list of mainly french wines won't disappoint. I don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed it there.  There is a website:

http://www.marcelsdc.com/

I hosted a dinner for 18 at Marcel's a couple of weeks ago. We were seated toward the front of the restaurant in one long table plus a second behind it toward the entrance (the seating situation was not to my taste, rather awkward).

The meal however was impeccable and service did not disappoint, the best part being that we were able to order from the menu rather than a set dinner. I believe part of our ordering good fortune and seating misfortune was due to the fact that a better part of the restaurant was occupied with a much larger group than ours (and I don't know if their menu was limited or not). I would not hesitate to recommend Marcel's, my discerning group of gourmands from Louisiana were very pleased with their dinner.

I'm not sure I would choose Marcel's for a blow-out celebration dinner that might get rowdy but it suited my group on this night just fine.