• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder time...

Next Saturday (15 April), we will meet at Hollywood East On The Boulevard at noon. We shall be paying special attention to the dessert cart and savory pastries. Current attendee list: me +1, Dean +1, porcupine +1, and Scott.

23 April: Lucky Three in Falls Church. Did we settle on a time? Unfortunately I am unlikely to attend. We shall need a full report - LT is owned by the NF folks, so let's hope for good things...

Here's a tentative date for New Fortune: Saturday 6 May at noon. Does this work for enough people? I'd like to do NF on a Saturday so my +1 can attend. We can move this a week in either direction, if that's better for the majority.

At some point I'd like to schedule second visits to Oriental East and Fortune/Falls Church. I suspect the Comparo Team didn't see those kitchens at their best, and want to give them another chance. No rush, though.

EDIT: Changed tentative NF date from 13 May to 6 May.

Lucky Three

5900 Leesburg Pike (just west of Bailey's Crossroads)

Falls Church, VA

Sunday, 23 April at noon

Who is planning to attend? I will not be there, alas...

New Fortune details to be announced a bit later - it will be sometime in the second half of May. That means we'll look into hitting HEOTB again in early or mid June.

It's not technically dim sum, but I'm willing to loosen up on the technicalities... would anyone be interested in a weekend lunch visit to A&J in Rockville?

Lucky Three

Sunday, 23 April at noon

would anyone be interested in a weekend lunch visit to A&J in Rockville?

I won't know u ntil the last moment whether Mr P and I will be at Lucky Three.

As far as A&J goes - you know I eat dinner there at least once a week, right? :) Yeah, sure, I'd go on a weekend, too.

What aboot the place on Travilah Rd that was supposed to have soup buns?

What aboot the place on Travilah Rd that was supposed to have soup buns?

Have you gone Canadian on us?

(hey, that's an idea... dim sum road trip to Toronto!)

That was Shanghai Cafe, our scheduled visit to which was sidetracked by one of this winter's rare ice/snow events. Now that the risk of frost is low, we'll have to give it another try.

By popular demand, we shall return to our exploration of the area's dim sum palaces.

1. The Lucky Three outing never happened, and we do need to check this place out to see if it's on par with its sibling New Fortune.

2. Speaking of New Fortune, it's time for the MontCo crew to grab more platters of char siu and sauteed bok choy.

3. I'd like to revisit Fortune in Falls Church. It didn't show to advantage on our first visit (unless you like cold dumplings), but we may have just hit a bad day. I'm willing to cut them some slack and try again, if others are also in a forgiving mood.

I propose a late July date for Lucky Three and early or mid August for New Fortune. My schedule (at the moment anyway) is quite flexible for the summer, so all weekends are fine for me. For those of you with actual lives, how do your summer weekend schedules look? Saturdays or Sundays?

High Everyone..... My hubby and I would like to join you all the for the future dim sum runs :unsure: We do Marks a lot.

We sometimes go to Fortune but agree that sometimes their stuff is cold a lot. Really have to watch the carts and when they have come out... On the other hnd...Fortune does have my favorite shrimp and bananna roll (they have bananna if the black sesame seeds are on top) and my favorite egg custard tarts

I'll keep my eye on this thread.... but please let me know what else I need to do to be included.

As for my two cents we tend to prefer Sundays.

I'll keep my eye on this thread.... but please let me know what else I need to do to be included.

As for my two cents we tend to prefer Sundays.

When a date and place is determined all you need to do is either post here or let whomever is organizing know through PM or email that you would like to join them. :unsure:

A tip from the greedy person who only organizes these things so she can stuff her face with pork dumplings on a regular basis usual organizer - if you subscribe to this topic, you won't miss any announcements for upcoming outings. All you need to do is chime in to say you're coming and how many people you're bringing, so we can grab a table of sufficient size. (and we can always squeeze in a couple unexpected attendees, no worries)

A Fortune veteran, eh? Excellent! I kept thinking we were missing out on something at our visit, which is why I've been hoping to herd everyone back for another try.

We'll hold off on scheduling the August New Fortune trip for now. Let's work on a date for Lucky Three. How does 1pm on Sunday, 30 July sound to the NoVa crowd? I can do this at noon if necessary, but 1pm is better for personal logistics.

My general dim sum strategy to get the fresh and hot is to watch the carts and not order when they first come around unless it is a steam cart. I want to see when that cart came out so I can determine if it will be hot or not. Now some things it doesn't matter but when it does.....

Marks is our fav all around. We live in Reston but we don't do the Fortune in Reston for Dim Sum as nothing ever seems to be very fresh there. I've heard reports that the Reston location gets their dim sum from the 7-Corners location. Not enough traffic there to warrant things to be the way they should. We used to really love Fortune when it was in its old location (the site of Lucky Three) but the quality did change a little when it moved. Then we found Marks just after they moved to their current location and well it has been our location since. We never seemed to have a reason to try the Lucky Three location and well the reviews I have read.... just never wanted to drive past Marks to go anywhere else. So this will be a good time to try it.

As to when to go we are one of those folks that go about 11am. I remember we hit Marks once just after 10 as we were in the area. When we walked in the place was surprisingly about 1/2 full. Lots of folks having Congee. Anyways the wait staff were all gathered around the back table making shark fin dumplings. It was great fun to watch. Amazing to see how fast they all were at it.

We have noticed over the last couple of years that Marks has changed a little. The variety has declined. They don't seem to do as many specials as they once did. We also have noticed that the ethnic mix has changed somewhat. It seems that the population is less asian. Which begs me to ask the question where did everyone go? Part of the reason we like Marks is that the husband likes to order a main dish to go with his dim sum. As for me I'm a fan of the BBQ pork bun and Shark fin dumplings. I also like the hot tofu that comes around but don't remember what it is called. Sweet and gingery it makes a great end to a meal.

Now you all have gotten me hungry.... Marks does dim sum during the week. Maybe I'll have to see if the husband is up to some right now.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the end of the month.

By the way if you are ever out and about and see a strange woman wearing a hat you will know it is me :unsure: The husband looks like Santa on vacation with his white beard. (LOL).

I'm checking our calendar for the 30th but at the moment sounds like a great plan.

With a little fancy footwork, I can manage noon.

So, is noon on 30 July okay with everyone else contemplating attendance? I won't call this time/date final until more folks return from vacation mode, though.

We are a defininte maybe. Currently managerless, I am doing the 7 day a week thingie.... but that situation will be solved very shortly. so we will probably be able to make it. Of course being in Virginia, we may set out for the restaurant on Friday and leave a trail of spareribs in black bean sauce so we can find our way back! :unsure:

We are a defininte maybe. Currently managerless, I am doing the 7 day a week thingie.... but that situation will be solved very shortly. so we will probably be able to make it. Of course being in Virginia, we may set out for the restaurant on Friday and leave a trail of spareribs in black bean sauce so we can find our way back! :unsure:

That would be a waste of good spareribs. Can't you leave a trail of Panda Express sweet & sour pork instead?

I'm going to do a test run from Silver Spring to Lucky Three's doorstep, and will post exceedingly detailed directions with landmarks for those of us not used to navigating on the south side of the river. It should be easier to find than China Garden was, though! (Dean, if you found your way to Gom Ba Woo, Lucky Three should be a snap)

Any interest in doing a full circuit again this winter? Now that I have a decent camera I'd like to get photos of the more interesting dishes available around here (especially of HEOTB's dessert offerings). Perhaps we could do a more serious comparisons of the standards, too. Oh, who am I kidding, I just want more dim sum...

So, is noon on 30 July okay with everyone else contemplating attendance? I won't call this time/date final until more folks return from vacation mode, though.
Noon on the 30th should work for me. I might have to try the lunch deal mentioned on the Lucky Three thread before then!

Reminder time, folks!

• Date: Sunday, 30 July
    Time: noon

I plan to make a test run there this week, and will post directions with landmarks for those unfamiliar with the wilds of Falls Church.

Please either post here or PM me (by 10am Sunday) if you still plan to attend so we know how large a table to grab - and more important, how many orders of clams in black bean sauce we'll need. :)

Newcomers: All previous outings have come in under $20 per person, so bring cash but don't worry about bringing a lot of it!

The date for New Fortune is still unsettled, stay tuned.

I'm still planning to be there.

I'm hoping it will be a little more exciting foodwise (the company is always great! :lol: ) than my one and only dim Sunday outing to China Garden.

I hope so, too! You know the diners are unimpressed when they spend most of the meal discussing where to go for better food. :)

I've just returned from lunch at Lucky Three. The roasted meats that I tried weren't quite at the same level as New Fortune's char sui platter, but nevertheless we'll need to grab some when the cart rolls around.

Marylanders, here's the easy way to reach Lucky Three. Take the Beltway to Rt 7/Leesburg Pike and exit towards Falls Church/Annandale. At the seven mile mark, you'll hit the chaos known as Seven Corners; stay on Rt 7 and continue for two more miles. Keep an eye on the lefthand side of the road. You'll see Shell and Liberty gas stations on the left. Just past the Liberty you'll see a sign for Charleston Alexander Jewelers. And just past that is a tall sign for a shopping center; Lucky Three is the business advertised on the top. Turn left into the shopping center. The cross street is Glen Forest Drive/Charles Street, where there's a handy traffic light; you can access the shopping center from Glen Forest Drive.

I reserved two 8-top tables for Sunday at noon under the name Rockwell. So far we have 11 adults and 3 children confirmed. If you'd like to attend, please send me a definite yes via PM before Friday afternoon so I can expand the reservation if necessary.

At the seven mile mark, you'll hit the chaos known as Seven Corners; stay on Rt 7 and continue for two more miles. Keep an eye on the lefthand side of the road. You'll see Shell and Liberty gas stations on the left. Just past the Liberty you'll see a sign for Charleston Alexander Jewelers. And just past that is a tall sign for a shopping center; Lucky Three is the business advertised on the top.

In other words, where Fortune used to be before they moved from Bailey's Crossroads to Seven Corners? Or am I mistaken? A few doors down should be Mirage Sweets, formerly Samadi Sweets.

In other words, where Fortune used to be before they moved from Bailey's Crossroads to Seven Corners? Or am I mistaken? A few doors down should be Mirage Sweets, formerly Samadi Sweets.

That's right - it's the third restaurant to occupy that spot, taking over from Fortune which took over from Maxim. Or was it the other way around?

There was a sweets shop in the strip mall, but I was too full of salt & pepper shrimp to waddle over and investigate it.