I hang my head in shame... my reputation in tatters. I actually found some restaurant within spitting distance of 7 corners. Thanks to Perri K for setting thsi up. Very fine Dinm Sum indeed, int heleague of Hollywood East. But to salvage my repuation a bit, I did get lost on tyhe way back to Dino. Does that count?!? :)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Dean, that counts!

Sorry you had to miss out, Stephen. No worries, because we'll be hitting Lucky Three again come autumm. It's a keeper.

We had originally settled on New Fortune as the next MontCo outing, but that would be a bit repetitive as LT and NF share ownership and recipes. So by popular demand, we're headed back to Hollywood East On The Boulevard. The date is still to be determined - late August seems likely.

Our next NoVa outing will be at Fortune in Falls Church, sometime in September.

We also kicked around the idea of an October Dim Sunday outing to Chinatown... New York City's Chinatown. Stay tuned as we try to figure out the logistics.

We also kicked around the idea of an October Dim Sunday outing to Chinatown... New York City's Chinatown. Stay tuned as we try to figure out the logistics.
Sounds like the perfect outing for the $35 round-trip bus to NYC. Leaves 14th St. around 8:00am gets into NY (near Port Authority) around noon. Leaves around 3:00 or so to return to DC. No service on Saturday but Dim Sundays don't care about that.

Crew: did you know that we've already passed the one-year mark for the start of this venture?! Time sure flies when you're eating well. Anyone up for an anniversary gathering at either HECOTB or New Fortune on Oct 8?

I'd be in, but I can't get there until nearly 12:30.

Of course! We love noobs.

I think I'm game, but are either of these places near a metro that I could (hypothetically) be picked up at, and is anybody willing to do the picking up? I'm coming from dupont...shady grove looks like the best option (at least for new fortune...i'm not sure what HECOTB is)

I think I'm game, but are either of these places near a metro that I could (hypothetically) be picked up at, and is anybody willing to do the picking up? I'm coming from dupont...shady grove looks like the best option (at least for new fortune...i'm not sure what HECOTB is)

HECOTB is a typo for HEOTB, which is Hollywood East on the Boulevard. 5-10 minute walk from Wheaton metro station.

New Fortune isn't walkable, but is less than a 2 mile drive from the Shady Grove station.

Are we still doing this? My schedule is getting complicated for this Sunday...

(I noticed when I drove past this weekend, it is actually "Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard" which means the HECOTB is correct) :)

You're absolutely right. We've been abbreviating it as HEOTB so long here, I didn't even think about the fact that it was wrong!

OK, what works better for people, Hollywood etc or New Fortune? this coming Sunday at 1:00 (is that a good time?) - in so far:

DanielK

ferment everything

xcanuck

porcupine +1

Mr porcupine

What about you other regulars? Perri, how can we have a dim sum without you?

Eric, Mr P and I can pick you up but I think it's a short walk. Let me know.

Game plan: This Sunday, October 8, 1:00 pm at Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard. In so far:

perrik

DanielK +2 ?!

Dean Gold and the lovely Kay

xcanuck +1

ferment everything

Mr Porcupine

porcupine +1 (not a typo)

Scott Johnston + Katie

DCinDC and Gus +1

...does anoyone know if they take reservations? This is starting to look like a two table event! :):)

Game plan: This Sunday, October 8, 1:00 pm at Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard. In so far:

perrik

DanielK +2

Dean Gold and the lovely Kay

xcanuck +1

ferment everything

Mr Porcupine

porcupine +1 (not a typo)

Scott Johnston + Katie

DCinDC and Gus +1

...does anoyone know if they take reservations? This is starting to look like a two table event! :):)

Bump.

Porcupine, were you calling ahead? I count 17...

Personally, HECOTB works best for me. But I'm easy.

Ferment everything - I can give you a lift to HECOTB (we live directly across the street from the Forest Glen Metro).

Thanks, but the map looks like it's really close to wheaton, i'll just walk it.

Heading out now, see everybody there.

Snore!
Food coma?? :)

Lisa and I had a great time. Large groups are the perfect way to do dim sum! When it's just the two of us, we get stuffed after about the third dish. I really enjoyed the wide variety of the HECOTB menu.

However...I'm still not sure that I like it better than Oriental East. I think we'll have to chalk that up to personal differences.

I'd love to do it again - and push the envelope a little more. Where was the duck webbing? The crispy fried intestine? The sauteed duck blood?? Mmmmmm......

I've got a headache, upset stomach, and really sore feet thanks to the Dupont Metro escalator going on strike at rush hour. I've got to spend all of tomorrow morning working with someone I'd rather avoid, since she labors under the delusion that I'm a robotic pack mule rather than a human. Why did this combination of ickiness lure me back to dr.com?

Oh, yeah. Dumplings. Dumplings solve all problems. It's been a while since we had a Dim Sunday, and it's about darned time for another one.

How about a NoVa meeting in mid-January? We've done Mark's Duck House, Fortune (Falls Church), China Garden, and Lucky Three. I'm interested in trying Fortune again, because I still suspect we hit it on a bad day. However, Lucky Three seemed to be the general favorite out of the NoVa options. Did we miss any NoVa dim sum places other than the Reston Fortune, which no one seems enthusiastic about trying anyway?

Any Sunday in January is fine for me although the 14th is less good than the others; all Saturdays are also acceptable if the critical mass desires it. So, anyone have any preferred dates and/or preferred restaurants?

I'll toss the first suggestion into the ring - Sunday 21 January @ Lucky Three, noon. Mmm, I could do with a glass of their warm soy milk...

(this thread ought to be shuffled over to the Events & Gatherings forum, if any mods have time to work a little elfin magic)

Bummer, Daniel. To make up for it, why don't you pick the date for the next Maryland Dim Sunday? Asparagus & char sui at New Fortune sounds like a magnificent idea...

So far we have nine possible attendees for Lucky Three. The big tables can hold about ten people if they like each other moderately well, so if we get more interest we'll have to split up the group and get organized about passing dishes between tables.

Directions to Lucky Three from the previous outing. It's at 5900 Leesburg Pike in Falls Church.

You can add Kay and I to the list. Some days we can safely be on the "Like each other moderately well" list. On other days, I throw things at her but have yet to hit her... bad aim or whatever I will not comment. If we don't show up, since I have actually proved I know how to get there by actually getting there once, we should be put on the "Liking each other too much to get out of bed" list.

You can add Kay and I to the list. Some days we can safely be on the "Like each other moderately well" list. On other days, I throw things at her but have yet to hit her... bad aim or whatever I will not comment. If we don't show up, since I have actually proved I know how to get there by actually getting there once, we should be put on the "Liking each other too much to get out of bed" list.

Dude, you really could have ended this post after the first sentence. And the last sentence was way WAY too much information... :P

Reminder: the next Dim Sunday is 21 January (next Sunday) at noon.

Lucky Three

5900 Leesburg Pike

Falls Church, VA 22041

It's in a small strip mall at the intersection of Leesburg Pike and Glen Forest Drive, about 1/2 mile west of Columbia Pike. As of yet, we don't have reservations, not that they remembered my reservation last time!

Why don't you guys try to do dim sum on Chinese New Year, 2/18/07? Who knows what goodies might be rolling out on the carts that day?

I usually do personally, but any decent place usually has a wait outside the door a half hour before they open. And by 11:30, there's an hour+ wait for a table.