Grilled Fish, No Sauce

My dining partner would like to go have plain grilled fish, no sauce (olive oil/lemon etc. is OK), and not as a special request to the chef, but on the menu.

Where should we go for that? (Doubly good if they have softshell crab for me, but absolutely not required, more important is the plain fish.) 

Looks like they have that at Grillfish.

Blacksalt's menu used to list that you could get any fish with any sauce or just plain, but I don't see that on their website now.

Anywhere else in DC or close-in NoVa?

Thanks!

Edit: is Drift's "Daily Catch" served plain? looks like it since there's no mention of any sauce.

Kellari Taverna used to have fresh whole fish grilled on their a la carte dinner menu.  Haven't been in a couple of years but it was very well prepared/grilled with lemon on the side.  Expect to pay handsomely for the privilege, as the fish are sizeable and meant for sharing.

Not at weekend brunch, but if you call, otherwise always available.  All other meals available.  Fiola Mare has a whole bronzino and a whole dover sole.  Black Salt will cook anything from the market to order.  If they are willing to make it why does your dining partner care if it is on the menu are not.  If you call ahead for special requests, you dont look like a prima donna

Actually, although I hate to admit, most chains can prepare any fresh fish on the menu plainly grilled, with wedges of lemon on the side, and simply steamed fresh vegetables to accompany it. I read this a few years ago in an article on celebrity chefs, and what they eat when they travel. For those looking to curtail the calorie intake after a day of cooking demos or video shoots, they sometimes head to Outback or Red Lobster or TGI Fridays and order the catch of the day, simply grilled, with a side of salad or steamed broccoli. 

(Local chains like GAR and Clyde's will do it as well.)

Sorry I had to post this, but it's true.

4 hours ago, dwt said:

Pesce

Definitely Pesce. They pretty much always have grilled sardines, served simply with lemon to squeeze. That's on the appetizer menu, but it's three sardines for $12, perfectly cooked, which is a great deal. They always have some other grilled fish on the main-course menu, such as branzino and bluefish, and I don't think they come pre-sauced. They also do a fine fried softshell crab, as good as you'll find.

Thanks all - I will keep this list in mind for future use (and would love to go to Drift, though it didn't work this time). We ended up at Grillfish this time (location was easiest for this particular evening) and it was surprisingly good, actually. They had a softshell crab special so that made me happy, and the softshells were plump and lightly sauteed (my favorite way - I don't like them battered) and in a nice zingy sauce, very nice. Dining partner had the mixed grill of fish, the sauce that accompanies it is a dipping sauce so he could easily skip it, and he was quite happy with his fish.

• Like 1