This isn't a bad list, but . . . 

-- Although I really like Trickling Springs, and its gallon-size is excellent value, I don't think it's in the same league as Jubilee and Jeni's.

-- Assuming they qualify, York Castle (Rockville) and Dairy Godmother (Del Ray) should be near the top of the list.

-- Most importantly, Mt. Desert Island Ice Cream should be at the top (or 2 Amys, if restaurant ice cream is included), but perhaps it opened too late to be eligible.

Dolci as #1?!  Does anyone here agree?  My only experience with them is buying a pint from Whole Foods once and wondering WTF they were thinking when they decided to stock it.  

ITA re 2Amys.  I’m not a vanilla fan, but I love theirs (served with the almond cake with cherries).

Hmm — now would be a perfect time to make the custard for gelato later tonight....

I really like the ice cream at Munch in The Block in Annandale. Yeah, they specialize in "Instagram" ice cream (ash cones, etc.) but the ice cream is really good and has unique flavors. Blueberry Earl Grey is probably my favorite.

Quality is subjective. Here is some background info that might be informative.

I don’t know of any independent ice cream stores in the area who produce their base. It’s either coming from a distributor, SMC or formerly TS. Of those 3 TS had the highest quality milk. 

Restaurant ice cream is usually very high quality because it’s made with good ingredients without extraneous functional additives and with a focus on taste.

Great Falls Creamery has been around for some time and according to their website:

Our ice cream starts with all-natural ingredients, and cream from the Maryland Milk Cooperative. It’s made with cane sugar and no artificial flavors or stabilizers.

They also reference they serve ~100 restaurants in the DC/NoVa/MD area.

---

Toby's Homemade Ice Cream & Coffee (DonRocks)

Pardon, by restaurants I meant independent chef driven places with a pastry chef(2 Amy’s). I’d be amazed if The Rusty Scupper or Lebanese Taverna was making their own ice cream :)

The milk cooperative produces 100k gallons of milk daily. The brand is Maola. Different beast than TS.

Stocked up on three or fours tubs of TS, but it's been such the staple of what we could good local ice cream hard to consider what should come next.

From the thread so far, looks like Sarah's Handmade is the unknown quantity for us, will have to try it soon.

11 hours ago, lion said:

From the thread so far, looks like Sarah's Handmade is the unknown quantity for us, will have to try it soon.

I need to try that too. But the South Mountain stuff is really good, as is Mount Deseret.