A friend just wrote and asked for the best Ceviche in the DC area - I had to think about this for a moment, but my guess was China Chilcano - can anyone come up with other ideas? I thought about Fiola Mare, but didn't see anything on their online menu.

One other question: I tend to spell this "Ceviche," but have seen numerous spellings of "Seviche" - what are the roots of these variants?

The problem with some of the places mentioned is that they're fairly "out there" in the suburbs, and may not be getting the freshest seafood - I know that spanking-fresh seafood may not matter as much for ceviche as for sashimi, but try telling that to someone from Panama.

Screenshot 2018-10-30 at 12.28.09.pngScreenshot 2018-10-30 at 12.25.08.png

17 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

The problem with some of the places mentioned is that they're fairly "out there" in the suburbs, and may not be getting the freshest seafood - I know that spanking-fresh seafood may not matter as much for ceviche as for sashimi, but try telling that to someone from Panama.

I tend to think of sashimi as aged seafood (some are previously frozen, while others have to age for a certain amount of time for texture and flavor).  The cebiche in the top cebicheria in Lima would only serve fish fresh off the boat hauled in that morning.

3 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I tend to think of sashimi as aged seafood (some are previously frozen, while others have to age for a certain amount of time for texture and flavor).  The cebiche in the top cebicheria in Lima would  only serve fish fresh off the boat hauled in that morning.

Yes, I guess I meant to say that the chef or restaurant needs to acquire the fish while its as fresh as can be, so they can have complete control over the aging process.

I've never had world-class ceviche before (and have certainly never had sashimi at the absolute-highest level) - people can go to Masa, and I suspect it could be 90% of what you can get in Tokyo, but not 100%.

Aging Fish for Sushi (DonRocks)

Also a nod to Nazca Mochina by the 17th Street restaurant strip in Dupont area.  Although we haven't been there for a while.

Our Peruvian neighbor gave it her approval and she was rather scathing about China Chilcano. 

According to her, ceviche in Peru is primarily a morning to lunch dish.  Many of the ceviche joints rely on the fresh catch of the day and you don't want to eat the fish that has been sitting around all day.  

3 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Our Peruvian neighbor gave it her approval and she was rather scathing about China Chilcano. 

According to her, ceviche in Peru is primarily a morning to lunch dish.  Many of the ceviche joints rely on the fresh catch of the day and you don't want to eat the fish that has been sitting around all day.  

This doesn't surprise me - ThinkFoodGroup's restaurants are all pleasant and sometimes very good, but also (I hope José doesn't see this) carbon copies, both of the real thing, and of each other - this isn't a criticism; just an observation. Minibar is, of course, the exception to this.

Interestingly, Koji Terano (who works for ThinkFoodGroup, and either is or was based at China Chilcano) once told me that in Japan, the best time to get sushi is around 6 AM (generally after a long night) - he'd go to a place just a block from Tsukiji Market - ironically, this seems to be (but isn't necessarily) implying that the sashimi was fresh off the boat; otherwise, why would it matter what time to go?

I had ceviche in Lima, Panama, Ecuador. Every country has their own take on it and generally Peruvian is considered the best. I stopped eating fish ceviche while in Peru when I learnt that the white fish they used was actually Tilapia. From then on, I just get the blood clams ceviche.