Red Truck Bakery - Brian Noyes' Superior Bakeries in Marshall and Warrenton

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Red Truck Bakery is indeed open for pickup.

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 07.05.22.png

Never leave Red Truck without at least one package of their granola (if you like your granola on the fruity side; it's loaded with fruit). My freaking dog has eating not one but two of them. The pimento cheese is another favorite.

• Like 1

Apple hand pies--a vastly superior version of the only thing I can eat from McDonald's.  That's almost certainly underselling it, but eating the two side by side would be an excellent reminder of why you should pay up for quality.

• Like 2

Have I not posted *any* pictures of what I've gotten from Red Truck Bakery during the past year? I thought sure I had.

Let's start with these:

IMG_9418.JPGIMG_9412.JPG

That glazed thing is their Lemon Bundt Cake. The icing is druggingly delicious, but the cake itself is so good (and moist!) that it doesn't need the icing. I've surely never had a better bundt cake than this, not even close. Red Truck only makes cakes with fresh fruit, and they stopped making the lemon cake at the end of September (they'll begin again in January); right now, they're making an Orange Bundt Cake which looks like the same thing, and is probably just as good (I see some orange zest sticking out of the icing in the picture). You just place your order, drive out to the back parking lot, call them, and they'll bring it outside. They'll also ship to you which will save you a trip out to Marshall, but why not go and have dinner at Field & Main across the street?

Bryan Noyes deserves serious consideration for a James Beard Award. If there's a better rural bakery in America, I'd like to know what it is.

We stop at Red Truck Bakery every time we head out to Shenandoah or other towns out there (it is only a 5-10 minutes detour off the highway) and we always love the cakes. The orange bundt cake and Kentucky bourbon are our two faves. Still good but not faves are the apple cake and triple chocolate cake. The granola is very sticky and good with a nice twist with added coconut. The cookies and other goodies are good but the cakes and pies are why it is worth stopping or going for a trip. Also a few doors down and across the street is a really good small butcher/gourmet foods shop that makes good burgers/sandwiches. I can't recall the name and not sure how they are doing during Covid. Red Truck during Covid is operating pre-orders and has a walk-up window where you can get all of their offerings (no indoor access).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeithA said:

We stop at Red Truck Bakery every time we head out to Shenandoah or other towns out there (it is only a 5-10 minutes detour off the highway) and we always love the cakes. The orange bundt cake and Kentucky bourbon are our two faves. Still good but not faves are the apple cake and triple chocolate cake. The granola is very sticky and good with a nice twist with added coconut. The cookies and other goodies are good but the cakes and pies are why it is worth stopping or going for a trip. Also a few doors down and across the street is a really good small butcher/gourmet foods shop that makes good burgers/sandwiches. I can't recall the name and not sure how they are doing during Covid. Red Truck during Covid is operating pre-orders and has a walk-up window where you can get all of their offerings (no indoor access).

Do they still have the FAUQUIER MOM t-shirt for the ladies? 😜

2 hours ago, KeithA said:

We stop at Red Truck Bakery every time we head out to Shenandoah or other towns out there (it is only a 5-10 minutes detour off the highway) and we always love the cakes. 

We do the same on the road to the Shenandoah, or on our way to my wife's family in Ohio.

Don't make the same mistake that I did and notice the Route 11 Chips factory, too in Mt. Jackson, VA! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KeithA said:

Their ice-cream is also exceptional. Produced in collaboration with Moo-Thru, another Fauquier County business. Not widely available, and absolutely not cheap, but every bit the equal of the flyover-based ice cream makers so fawned over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

LOL I once made a special trip to visit Route 11's old location in Middletown VA. Unlimited samples of chips! 

Same here. Except production was closed and all you could do was buy bags of chips in the lobby. All part of what my family still describes as the worst vacation ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/23/2023 at 12:20 PM, southdenverhoo said:

Big news in Fauquier County hospitality, if not mentioned elsewhere (I looked, but perhaps not effectively):

"Noyes Selling Red Truck Bakery to the Operators of Field & Main" by Trevor Baratko on fauquiernow.com 

I love Bryan, Neal, and Starr - all three people in this transaction. And I think this news is devastating, or potentially devastating.

Red Truck is my favorite bakery (okay, maybe after BreadFurst). It sounds like investors, expansion, and growth is coming down the pike - not today, not tomorrow, but sometime. Red Truck makes *the* perfect Bundt Cakes - the best I've ever had. There are slices of their Meyer Lemon bundt cake sitting in my freezer as I type this. These cakes cannot get any better (well, maybe if they doubled the amount of frosting), but they can get a whole lot worse. These bundt cakes are true local culinary treasures.

Yes, of *course* I'll go forward with an open mind, and I'm glad it's going to the Wavra's and not someone else, but how do you learn the art of baking like Bryan Noyes has? You don't, and there's the devastation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I love Bryan, Neal, and Starr - all three people in this transaction. And I think this news is devastating, or potentially devastating.

Red Truck is my favorite bakery (okay, maybe after BreadFurst). It sounds like investors, expansion, and growth is coming down the pike - not today, not tomorrow, but sometime. Red Truck makes *the* perfect Bundt Cakes - the best I've ever had. There are slices of their Meyer Lemon bundt cake sitting in my freezer as I type this. These cakes cannot get any better (well, maybe if they doubled the amount of frosting), but they can get a whole lot worse. These bundt cakes are true local culinary treasures.

Yes, of *course* I'll go forward with an open mind, and I'm glad it's going to the Wavra's and not someone else, but how do you learn the art of baking like Bryan Noyes has? You don't, and there's the devastation.

Nothing about this is open minded, and probably even worse than damning with faint praise. Investors aren't always bad (and Noyes is among them). Expansion isn't always bad. As Neal says, The Wavra's see their role as being stewards of Red Truck - and heck, Red Truck was already shipping cakes all over the nation AND collaborating on ice cream flavors to begin with. Maybe trust the process and leave "devastation" out of it, at least on day one?

• Like 1

We love Red Truck Bakery - always try to stop there on out farther out outings in VA, especially on the way to Shenandoah. Hopefully, they don't mess with the recipes too much as their cakes are really good. I guess change is in the wind, I was sad to hear that our other fave Griffin Tavern in nearby Flint Hill changed hands and menu somewhat (as mentioned a while back on this board in the VA travel section). As we head out to Shenandoah this fall, we'll likely check out both spots and I'll try to remember to report back.