Baby It's HOT Outside!

monavano

It is SO hot outside that I saw my mailman get out of his truck and stand in the line of my sprinklers today! It got me to thinking of my mom's favorite summertime meal which was mashed potatoes in a bowl, surrounded by cold buttermilk. Weird, I know. But I go to it as an adult today.

What does this hot weather drive you to eat? Spicy to sweat it out? Cold soups? A rocket pop? (that would be me) ;)

gallons of iced tea, microwave-poached salmon (w/lime & salt), & pickled cucumbers-also, Edy's fruit bars....

Acutally, a "summer salad" as I call it, of cukes, tomatoes and green bell peppers in a puckery vinegar and sugar brine hits the spot, absolutely.

My tomatoes & peppers aren't ripe yet, I can't wait until I get to taste them (of course, they'll probably ripen when I go away for a long weekend & I'll miss it). It IS incredibly, miserably hot-the kids & I went out today to Chef Huang's for a lunch buffet-not outstanding, but we had lots of soup, rice noodles, my son scarfed up the dumplings & there was chocolate cake & oranges for dessert-perfect for a summer lunch! I just wish I could figure out why my DH thinks he can eat all the tangerine icepops & that I won't notice that only raspberry & strawberry are left...

My tomatoes & peppers aren't ripe yet, I can't wait until I get to taste them (of course, they'll probably ripen when I go away for a long weekend & I'll miss it). It IS incredibly, miserably hot-the kids & I went out today to Chef Huang's for a lunch buffet-not outstanding, but we had lots of soup, rice noodles, my son scarfed up the dumplings & there was chocolate cake & oranges for dessert-perfect for a summer lunch! I just wish I could figure out why my DH thinks he can eat all the tangerine icepops & that I won't notice that only raspberry & strawberry are left...

Same here with the tomatoes and peppers. But.........this year I have lots of little tomatoes showing the promise of becoming juicy and wonderful(fingers crosses and tomato tone applied). My pepper is showing lots of flowers, but no little peps yet.

I don't know why I was thinking I would cook tonight. For some reason, today seems more painfully hot than the other recent hot days. It caught me a bit by surprise.

I have fish, which has to be cooked or frozen. I guess I'll forge ahead once I cool down a little more. There is some leftover salad, which I can supplement, and a loaf of bread.

And for what was actually asked in the question, I usually make cooked foods early in the morning (pasta salad, potato salad, baked chicken pieces) and then serve them cold in the evening. Otherwise, I go for yogurt with fruit or green salads with raw vegetables.

Champagne, the only wine properly consumed at at temperature of 33 degress. ;)
Bien sur. And rose, until I am sick of it.

I am not ordinarily a fan of cold soups, but of all of the varieties, gazpacho does it for me the most.

Lots and lots of fresh fruit. I will be making myself sick on peaches and tomatoes in about a month.

Bien sur. And rose, until I am sick of it.

I am not ordinarily a fan of cold soups, but of all of the varieties, gazpacho does it for me the most.

Lots and lots of fresh fruit. I will be making myself sick on peaches and tomatoes in about a month.

Mmm - yes! Tomatoes, fruit, bubbly... I drink way more white during the summer than the other 9 mos of the year combined and I drink it at colder temperatures than I should. And though I'm not so good about it the rest of the year, my reds are always slightly chilled during the summer.

Today I stopped at Joe's Noodle House and ate an extra spicy plate of dry fried beef. I find that the sweating from the Ma La flavors offsets the heat!
Amen to that. Why do you think that the world's "hottest" cuisines are found in the warmest areas?

The other benefit of doing some fiery Szechuan or Thai at home is that it requires very little cooking time resulting in less heat pouring out of the kitchen.

I also do lots of green salads with strips of grilled chicken or pork.

And it's almost time for another case of rose.

I hate hate hate HATE the summertime and the heat, so I've been eating some very unseasonal meals as a form of protest. Shepherd's pie, fish and chips, luke warm Guinness, real heavy pastas, stuffing, etc.

I would be a happy camper in a new ice age.

Anything spicy and/or grilled. I second the Szechuan and Thai preferences above. One favorite dish is thin slices of sirloin quickly sautéed in olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary, sage, and basil, served on top of an arugula salad with minced black olive and tomatoes that has been wilted by the pan juices. But by far my favorite is a slab of ribs that has been cooking in the Weber half the day, with corn on the cob slathered in butter, all sloppily washed down with Rosé in the style of Eli Wallach in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

Lobster, corn on the cob. beer and wild blueberry buckle on a bench with a breeze from the ocean in Maine.

Ice cream. Ice cream drowning in fresh berries and fresh berry mush or sliced peaches or warm peach pie underneath.

Cold peanut noodles.

Cold soba noodles tossed with Korean-style spinach or whatever kind of tender green leaves you can find at this time of year.

Cold rice noodles tossed with slivers of Chinese BBQ.

Corn chowder in front of the A/C.

Harriet the Spy sandwiches with Purple Cherokees, homemade mayo and toasted whole wheat. Make them BLTs once in a while.

Pugliese type of focaccia with a special kind of large cherry tomato that New Morning was selling last summer. Pissaladiere. Sicilian swordfish inpanate.

Pesto on dried or fresh pasta.

Raw sauce of chopped, sun-warmed tomatoes, torn leaves of basil, unfiltered olive oil, Parm & little bites of mozzarella. Dried, stubby pasta.

Charred hot dog on spongy whole wheat w Dijon, avocado, chopped tomato & slivers of red onion with a peach & fresh ginger yogurt smoothie.

Peaches, melon & figs wrapped in prosciutto.

Cf. a recent post by Zora w watermelon-feta-mint salad.

Plus a lot of what's been said already including Dan's sentiment. What make the humidity and heat bearable is the fruit, bounty of basil and local corn.

Oh, that reminds me: salad of little tiny blueberries, barely cooked corn and torn basil with a tart Champagne vinaigrette.