Photo

Grace Garden, Szechuan on Annapolis Road in Odenton - Chef Li Comes From Hunan Manor in Columbia

Odenton Chinese Szechuan

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

It is so hard to get to the whole menu - you pine for the dishes that you know are awesome, and yet you want to try all of it!

Food.Wine.Cats.Music.Travel.Hawaiian Shirts.Art.Hiking.Photography.Movie Quotes.Impressions-Humor-Voices For My Cats. :)

#52 turbogrrl

turbogrrl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

So, we happened to need to be in Severn tonight, and thought, "ooooh, we'll have grace garden for dinner!"

Sadly, no. They are closed for the next two weeks and will reopen on 19 Jan, according to the note on the door.

i don't cook. why should i?
(the stove is broken; the city is at my doorstep)

#53 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

Got the crispy eggplant as carryout again - still good.

Tried the Chicken in XO sauce - this was just ok.

Food.Wine.Cats.Music.Travel.Hawaiian Shirts.Art.Hiking.Photography.Movie Quotes.Impressions-Humor-Voices For My Cats. :)

#54 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

For the first time tried House Special Chili Stir-Fry which was really good. Not obnoxious heat just for heat's sake, but a pleasing slowly building heat that makes your mouth sing. A triumph.  

#55 Shaho

Shaho

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

Haven't had a bad dish here. The wok breath is really evident on dishes like the Beef Chow Fun, which is just a level above any other place in the area I've tried. The Dan Dan Noodles taste like lunch at home, but the pork is crisped in a way that would be impossible in any home kitchen. The sauce that came with the Black Pepper Beef Short Ribs was so good we took it home by itself, tangy with a peppery kick. Even the chive flowers simply sauteed with garlic were excellent. Sichuan Fish Filets and sauteed bok choy were just OK. The flavor of the Sichuan Steamed Pork with Rice Powder, and particularly the potatoes underneath, was great, but the last time around the pork belly was almost entirely fat, which was a little too rich.

#56 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,153 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:23 AM

Haven't had a bad dish here. The wok breath is really evident on dishes like the Beef Chow Fun, which is just a level above any other place in the area I've tried. The Dan Dan Noodles taste like lunch at home, but the pork is crisped in a way that would be impossible in any home kitchen. The sauce that came with the Black Pepper Beef Short Ribs was so good we took it home by itself, tangy with a peppery kick. Even the chive flowers simply sauteed with garlic were excellent. Sichuan Fish Filets and sauteed bok choy were just OK. The flavor of the Sichuan Steamed Pork with Rice Powder, and particularly the potatoes underneath, was great, but the last time around the pork belly was almost entirely fat, which was a little too rich.

Is the Beef Chow Fun make using dried beef? I almost prefer it that way, as using cuts such as fatty brisket can be just too gloppy for my taste (and generally served in Hong Kong style restaurants rather than Szechuan-influenced places). I'm curious to know, and I hate that Grace Garden is so far away from me. :(

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#57 Shaho

Shaho

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:06 PM

Is the Beef Chow Fun make using dried beef? I almost prefer it that way, as using cuts such as fatty brisket can be just too gloppy for my taste (and generally served in Hong Kong style restaurants rather than Szechuan-influenced places). I'm curious to know, and I hate that Grace Garden is so far away from me. :(

I'm not sure what cut the beef is, but I don't think it's dried and it seems to be the same kind as you get just about anywhere else. This is my little sister's favorite dish, and although she's not an adventurous eater, she mentioned that the Chow Fun here was noticeably better than anywhere else, and the beef tasted more "real." I think Chef Li was originally trained in Cantonese cooking, then later in Szechuan cuisine, so there is an interesting combination of styles here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Odenton, Chinese, Szechuan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users