104 replies to this topic

#101 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Lamb Fries (aka Shenandoah Mountain oysters) now on the menu (wether you like them or not ewe have to try them)

Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#102 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

(wether you like them or not ewe have to try them)

He says, sheepishly,

• frogprince likes this

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#103 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

ewes have small fry not "lamb fries"

#104 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Oh, to be in Adams Morgan now that Restaurant Week is here . . . and a snow storm is in progress.  Dame Edna and I normally eschew RW; but, I noticed that the entire menu was up for grabs and so made a reservation for tonight long before the forecast became so dire.  I was wondering when would be a good time to call and see if they would be open tonight when they called me first. Yep, they were calling their entire ressie list to see who needed to cancel and who didn't. (I had to give them a CC number, with the proviso that they would charge $20 a person for no-shows, when I first made the reservation.)

So, we bundled up and trudged the two or so blocks and found a band of hardy souls ensconced in the bar area.  We got to choose our table. It seems that everybody in the place was, not surprisingly, walk-ins or neighborhood people like us who had previously reserved a table. Needless to say, they lost of ton of business tonight and not unlike every other restaurant in the entire Metro area.

Also not surprisingly, the service from beginning to end was very friendly and attentive. :) Kind of like we were all a Band of Brothers--enduring hardship but without the fighting and dying going on.

The walk there was a little bit slow-going and it was still snowing quite a bit and the forecast was for drastically falling temps and lots of wind later on.  However, when we left to go home there were merely flurries and no wind at all. It was quite pleasant--comparatively.  At least we didn't have to worry about traffic. The cars were few and far between on Columbia Road. However, all those unshoveled sidewalks are going to be impassable by tomorrow morning.

It may have been RW, but Mintwood didn't slack up in the least.  Because of all the previous positive comments about the confit calf's heart, I got that for a starter. DE got the burrata and kale salad. I didn't get a bite of that, but he ate it all. This was as good as everybody has said and quite rich, but I realized that if I ate the whole bowl, I wouldn't have room for anything else, so I had the uneaten half packed up to go.  Not a problem--since I mentioned earlier that the service was very attentive.

I had eaten the Dorade there before, so went with the crispy trout. It was an enormous portion of perfectly fried fish with a wonderful accompaniment of green papaya slaw and a sauce.  i had half of that packed up to go, as well.

DE wanted to order the bacon cheeseburger, but I gave him the "evil eye" because there is no reason to order what is normally the cheapest thing on the menu when all of it is the same price. So, he ordered the Beef Bourgononne (however it is spelled) instead, The bite I got of that was better than the same dish I made for NYE, alas.

The desserts were as carefully made as the rest of the dinner, but I was too full to appreciate it very much and I am not much of dessert fan after such rich food, anyway. 

We had the option of ordering al a carte, but what is the point of that? Under normal circumstances, meaning not during RW, we would probably order less food and at least share an app and a dessert. As it was, we were able to try quite a few more items. Isn't that the point of RW anyway?

So, am I glad that Mintwood is a "neighborhood" joint? Why, yes, I am--especially when it is a "destination" restaurant at a time when almost nobody can get to it.

• DonRocks, squidsdc and Mark Dedrick like this

#105 lotus125

lotus125

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

I normally love Mintwood.  Unfortunately, I had a very different experience from Barbara.   When I made a reservation, I was not told that they'd extended RW and were only doing an RW menu.  To be fair, their RW menu covered much of their menu but was missing my favorite -- the beet mountain pie.  More importantly, though, it was just a different restaurant.  They were turning over tables very quickly, and the food was below par.  Several dishes were dramatically underseasoned or had other big technical flaws.  It felt like the chef went on vacation and the kitchen's b-team was just mass producing dishes without tasting them.  Because I've had many good meals there before, I'll certainly return.  But this leaves me wary of going anywhere around restaurant week, and I lost some respect for the Mintwood team.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Adams Morgan, French, American, Patio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users