259 replies to this topic

#251 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

What about Al's Steakhouse in Alexandria? 1956 according to their website. When we first moved to the area, a coworker raved about it (1990). Apparently it was quite the lunch/after school spot for the kids in her time.
http://www.alssteak.com/

Also, relatives who grew up on the hill still fondly remember going to Mangialardos as kids. Did I miss seeing that?
http://www.jonlhusse...n-capitol-hill/

Yes to both - See the original post (1953) for the explanation about Mangialardo & Sons (and thank you).

I can confirm that Far East is owned by the same family.  When they moved to the area they were my parent's neighbors.  My dad used to help them fix things around their house.  After one such time, they asked my dad what they could do to repay him.  Jokingly, my dad said make me a meal.  My parents keep their own style of Kosher.  Mom was embarrassed by my dad's request.  Never-the-less, the Wong's sent their chef with my mom to the Kosher supermarket to pick out ingredients and the chef prepared a banquet  in their house.  We still occasionally go to Far East, and now it is run by the children, but still the same family.

I was actually making a joke to Dave - he had his wedding party there (I was in attendance). Great story about your parents! Far East has indeed been open since 1974.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#252 turbogrrl

turbogrrl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

aaaaand mixtec is gone. :(

i don't cook. why should i?
(the stove is broken; the city is at my doorstep)

#253 DaveO

DaveO

Magna Carta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Today's Washington Post referenced Trattoria Alberto on Barracks Row on 8th Street.  It has some local fame/notoriety as being the favorite local restaurant of current Speaker of the House, John Boehner.   Among the various points and references was that the restaurant was over 3 decades old.  Now...does that make it pre 1980 or not...?  I'm not sure.  But it has been around for a danged long time.   Article

#254 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Today's Washington Post referenced Trattoria Alberto on Barracks Row on 8th Street.  It has some local fame/notoriety as being the favorite local restaurant of current Speaker of the House, John Boehner.   Among the various points and references was that the restaurant was over 3 decades old.  Now...does that make it pre 1980 or not...?  I'm not sure.  But it has been around for a danged long time.  Article

As you noticed, Trattoria Alberto's website says it has been open "for over 30 years," so that winds back to 1984, at least, but I'll need firm evidence that it opened pre-1980 before it moves onto our Oldest Restaurants list.

However, notice that they have half-priced wines Sat-Mon (including Saturday night!), so they make it onto our Half-Priced Wine Nights list maintained in the Dining Guide forum (you need ten posts to view these links, so they may not come up for some people).

Screenshot 2015-01-15 at 07.44.36.png

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#255 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Here's another that wasn't on the list (until today). 

Of note: the "Live Music Room" on the left is a new space - they apparently just got the space next door (either that, or this is a new sign because I'm certain that wasn't up a year ago).

photo 2.JPG

In case you don't know where this is, it's in the same strip shopping center as Present, at the intersection of Route 50 and Annandale Road.

#256 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

Here's a cool little point to ponder: This post (and this list) was started in 2005, nearly 10 years ago, and includes restaurants that opened in 1979 and before. It also includes all restaurants that were open in 2005, and subsequently closed during the past 10 years, so, every single restaurant that we know of that was was 25-years-old in 2005.

If we were starting it now (and including restaurants that are 25-years-old and older), it would include restaurants that opened in 1989 and before.

It would be a lot more extensive, don't you think? Nearly ten years later, the restaurants on this list that are still open are an endangered species, and a dying breed.

I was talking to a friend today that considers this website primarily a resource; I consider it primarily a historical document. The difference is minimal, but there is a slight difference in the approach taken.

• bookluvingbabe and Lary like this

#257 The Hersch

The Hersch

Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

According to its website, PJ Skidoos in Fairfax opened on February 1, 1978. This is the sort of place I never would have stumbled into on my own, but my mother, who lives fairly nearby, started going there a few years ago, and I've been with her and other family several times. Plain American fare, but pretty good food at very reasonable prices, and a very friendly atmosphere. Good crabcakes. Their crabcake sandwich is $13.95, including fries and slaw, and if you don't eat the bun it's just one very nice, large broiled crabcake with not much in it but crab. I'm sure it's southeast Asian crabmeat, but it's really very nice, and offered at a very friendly price. (Skip the "bistro sauce" they give you on the side. It's Russian dressing. On a crabcake?)

Anyway, it should be on the list.

• outsideshot likes this

Tell me, thou little bird that singest,

Who taught my grief to thee?

#258 outsideshot

outsideshot

Elvin Hayes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

PJ Skidoos brings back a memorable night! My first date with my later to be wife ended with an Irish coffee and a multiple quarters in the stand up Pac Man machine at PJ's. it was run  by the Thomas Brothers and Pip was a friend from college days. They also have Kilroys in Springfield.

Many a late night sipping Amarettos (for her) and everything else for me and wasting quarters watching those little monsters chase across the screen.

#259 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:31 AM

I don't know why I've been sitting with this picture on my camera, and didn't even think to put Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe on this list.

They moved into their present location in 1988.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

#260 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

McLean Family Restaurant opened in 1969.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Openings 1979 And Before

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users