251 replies to this topic

#251 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,689 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

What about Al's Steakhouse in Alexandria? 1956 according to their website. When we first moved to the area, a coworker raved about it (1990). Apparently it was quite the lunch/after school spot for the kids in her time.
http://www.alssteak.com/

Also, relatives who grew up on the hill still fondly remember going to Mangialardos as kids. Did I miss seeing that?
http://www.jonlhusse...n-capitol-hill/

Yes to both - See the original post (1953) for the explanation about Mangialardo & Sons (and thank you).

I can confirm that Far East is owned by the same family.  When they moved to the area they were my parent's neighbors.  My dad used to help them fix things around their house.  After one such time, they asked my dad what they could do to repay him.  Jokingly, my dad said make me a meal.  My parents keep their own style of Kosher.  Mom was embarrassed by my dad's request.  Never-the-less, the Wong's sent their chef with my mom to the Kosher supermarket to pick out ingredients and the chef prepared a banquet  in their house.  We still occasionally go to Far East, and now it is run by the children, but still the same family.

I was actually making a joke to Dave - he had his wedding party there (I was in attendance). Great story about your parents! Far East has indeed been open since 1974.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#252 turbogrrl

turbogrrl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

aaaaand mixtec is gone. :(

i don't cook. why should i?
(the stove is broken; the city is at my doorstep)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Openings 1979 And Before

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users