73 replies to this topic

#51 stilgar

stilgar

shrimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

If you are looking to go off the beaten path in Orlando, here are a couple options.

Pollo d'Oro on W Colonial Dr (SR 50) west of I-4 is some of the best rotisserie chicken ever. Is a bit of a hike if you are staying near Disney, but worth it. Map

Beefy King is a local sandwich shop that has been around for 40 years. They specialize in steamed roast beef sandwiches, but also have ham, turkey, pastrami, corned beef, BBQ beef and BBQ pork. Crispy tater tots, or 'spuds' round out this local experience. Website Map

One other that I visited recently is Johnnie's Hideaway. This might sound like a tiki themed tourist trap, but it is not. This is an upscale eating establishment, along the lines of Vito's and Charley's, which are corporate cousins of Johnnie's. We started with the steamed mussels. The mussels alone were great and full of flavor, but the broth was magical. You will want to save that for bread dipping. Our main consisted of broiled grouper topped with blue crab meat and a white wine sauce. Fish was cooked perfectly and the sauce was excellent. Sides were bacon creamed spinach and lobster mac n cheese. Both very good. Finished with a creme brulee. Excellent meal. I travel to Orlando often to visit friends and usually try to avoid the Disney area like the plague, but I will go here again. Website Map

#52 Atenna

Atenna

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

We were down in Orlando the week of December 12th, with a temperature reaching a warm & cozy 25 degrees with wind chill. But we ate really well.
-The Ravenous Pig, in Winter Park; worth the trip. The most interesting food in the Orlando area without the commericialization. A wonderful experience. Menu options include Housemade charcuterie and artisan cheese, black pepper pappardelle w red wine braised rabbit ragu, hedgehog mushrooms, percorino; pastrimi spiced veal cheeks w farro risotto, radicchio-red onion agrodolce, forelle pear mostardo; Berkshire Pork Porterhouse w fried waterkist green tomatoes, ham jam, pickled mustard seed butter; and you get the picture. Food was well executed. Staff was knowledgeable with wine parings. The bar has picked up on the craft coctail trend and is able to execute at least their whisky sour version very well. Would return if ever back in the area.
-Le Coq Au Vin, off the beaten path in Orlando. 40 year old establishment serving French county fare was truely excellent. Prices were extremely reasonable and staff was helpful with wine selections. Not in the tourist district; but would love to go back if ever in the area again.
-Lee & Ricks Half Shell Oyster Bar, on Old Winter Garden Rd. A 60 year old establishement that could be construed as a hole in the wall. 12 fresh oysters for $6. Shucked right there in front of you and placed directly on the 60 year old cement bar for your enjoyment. They steam oysters too. Some other selections are available, but really it is all about the oysters. And Budweiser. So if you do not like oysters, do not go. Again, not located in the tourist area.
-Mama Nems southern style food, 805 S Kirkman Rd. Home style prepared food and lots of it. For me, the collards were good and the fried chicken too. The ribs were tough and potatoes lacked flavor. Would not go back.
-If I remember the BBQ place we went to, I will post about it later.

#53 mame11

mame11

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Who would think some of the best food I've had in a while would have been in Orlando, but it was. Dinner at The Ravenous Pig was fabulous. The diversity and quality of the charchuterie was worth the trip. There was a speck wrapped grilled date stuffed with goat cheese on a fruity sauce and a lamb meatball on top of a tzatki (sp?) in addition to fabulous soppresata et al. Oh, the chicken liver pate with a preserved cherry... oh my. The salad would have been good with less dressing (I never get salad dressing on my salads unless the server insists that it is better with it...) The pastry chef (co-owner of the place) must have a way with ice creams and sorbets because the dark chocolate sorbet and ginger ice cream were better than ANY I've had in DC, including my favorites Dairy Godmother and Pitango (not a fan of Dolcezza). I'll be dreaming of that dessert for a long time.... ETA: I had the most perfect view of the kitchen sitting at the chef's bar. What a treat! I really learned a lot watching the kitchen staff and chefs work in a not huge space.

Okay, now I'll share a place with the dr.com that I discovered randomly because it was near where I was staying.... Pollos a la Braza Mario. I arrived in Orlando pretty late and was convinced I'd end up at some random chain and was more than pleasantly surprised when I saw this place and checked it's urbanspoon info. Wow. What luck. I asked some diners as well as staff what to get. They all (literally, all) recommended the skirt steak. I wasn't that hungry so I was hesitant. However, I was convinced by the locals to try it... It is a HUGE meal. The steak was well seasoned and served on a sizzling cast iron with a side of beans (something Columbian, I think) and rice which were both rich and flavorful. Instead of potatoes I asked for sweet plaintains which were great.

I really wish there were places like either The Ravenous Pig or Pollos a la Braza Mario in DC (proper).

#54 Skysplitter

Skysplitter

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:20 AM

I need to jump on the Ravenous Pig bandwagon and wish that it magically transports itself up here. I flew into Orlando on the way to Tampa and stopped in for lunch. Spoiled me for the rest of the trip. And of the three pig logo'ed restaurants I've been to this year in the south (Cochon and The Refinery being the others), this one was the best. I got the gatherer salad with "mixed baby lettuces, beets, goat cheese, avocado, pistachios, herb vinaigrette" which was beyond ridiculous. For every crunch, there was a smooth counterbalance. Advocado and goat cheese? My new favorite combo. And I think, but can't promise, that the herb vinaigrette had basil in it. This is a salad I'll remember to some time to come, so don't bonk it if you're there, get it.
Then came the grilled cheese. Odes should be written to this grilled cheese. I desperately wanted to go back on Sunday before my flight and get one for the plane I liked it so damned much. Just a simple grilled cheese you say? Hah. It was a grilled cheese avec "arcadia peach & rhubarb jam, pepita pesto, grilled radicchio, goat cheese, aged swiss, sourdough". SaltysweetcheesycrunchyFABULOUSNESSonnaPLATE. And then. How can there be an and then? And then it was pan fried in delicious butter. I'm drooling writing about it.

As a solo diner, I was happily seated at the bar, and the bartender was fantastic. Informative, friendly, kept everything going for the restaurant. The servers are intensely proud of their food ("Ready for the best grilled cheese of your life?") and it borders on pomposity, but who cares when the food backs it up?! I don't get to Orlando often, but if I can schedule a long layover, it's worth the car rental and quick drive up to Winter Park.

Attached Thumbnails

• salad.jpg
  • grilled-cheese.jpg

#55 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

Funny, I had forgotten how scary dining options can be in Orlando until I went this past weekend and reread this thread. I am just sharing my theme park dining experiences, since little man and I didn't really make time to eat off-site. We only spent two days total in Orlando and most were at the parks.

We made a point of visiting Hogsmeade at the new Harry Potter exhibit on the Islands of Adventure (Universal). Little man and I decided to dine there for linner (lunch/dinner). He opted for the Turkey Leg platter ($11) that comes with mediocre wedge fries, then wanted an apple cider ($2.89), while I opted to share his platter and order a butterbeer ($3?) since it was on the must-try list. The turkey leg was huge and salty--it tasted like brined Easter ham, which would be fine if they offered a side of bread or salad. It also was big enough to last two meals. I am only writing to recommend the butterbeer, I guess.

At the Magic Kingdom, we had a snack at the Ice Cream shop in Tomorrowland, but was big enough that it covered lunch (a cone was $3.19, while my float was $3.99) apparently. It also helped that we had an early booking for dinner at the Crystal Palace at 4:30p. I wish I could say positive things about CP, since the menu does try (which was overpriced at $40.99 per adult since it was an ayce), but ultimately, was it not for the fact that Winnie the Pooh and friends were around for photo ops and autographs (pictures with Eeyore!), I would skip it. Basically, most of the dessert tasted like condensed milk (ie., flan, key lime pie, cheesecake, etc.) and while the entrees tried to inject flavor (ie., rotisserie chicken, cinnamon-lemon jasmine rice), it looked as good as it tasted (which was poor).

The experiences and memories inside the parks were great!

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#56 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Funny, I had forgotten how scary dining options can be in Orlando until I went this past weekend and reread this thread. I am just sharing my theme park dining experiences, since little man and I didn't really make time to eat off-site. We only spent two days total in Orlando and most were at the parks.

We made a point of visiting Hogsmeade at the new Harry Potter exhibit on the Islands of Adventure (Universal). Little man and I decided to dine there for linner (lunch/dinner). He opted for the Turkey Leg platter ($11) that comes with mediocre wedge fries, then wanted an apple cider ($2.89), while I opted to share his platter and order a butterbeer ($3?) since it was on the must-try list. The turkey leg was huge and salty--it tasted like brined Easter ham, which would be fine if they offered a side of bread or salad. It also was big enough to last two meals. I am only writing to recommend the butterbeer, I guess.

At the Magic Kingdom, we had a snack at the Ice Cream shop in Tomorrowland, but was big enough that it covered lunch (a cone was $3.19, while my float was $3.99) apparently. It also helped that we had an early booking for dinner at the Crystal Palace at 4:30p. I wish I could say positive things about CP, since the menu does try (which was overpriced at $40.99 per adult since it was an ayce), but ultimately, was it not for the fact that Winnie the Pooh and friends were around for photo ops and autographs (pictures with Eeyore!), I would skip it. Basically, most of the dessert tasted like condensed milk (ie., flan, key lime pie, cheesecake, etc.) and while the entrees tried to inject flavor (ie., rotisserie chicken, cinnamon-lemon jasmine rice), it looked as good as it tasted (which was poor).

The experiences and memories inside the parks were great!

Say hi next time!

We ate at CP three times in one day. Little guy was over the moon at seeing Pooh and the gang but the food was truly mediocre. Breakfast was the best of the lot.

#57 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

Say hi next time!

Oooo - wouldn't it be great to have a DR caravan to Disney now that there are age-appropriate little elves amongst us? That should be the next get together. :-)

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#58 pidgey

pidgey

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

Returning from a week in Orlando, well, mostly Disney, and although we ate mostly in Disney restaurants, we did get a baby-free night out in ... Downtown Disney. Raglan Road is an Irish gastropub, or at least strives to be. The portions are substantial, the food was above average, the atmosphere was raucous (they have live music 6 nights a week), and the service was harried. Entrees have quirky names like "Keen Eye for the Shepherd's Pie." We started with the mussels and some kind of tart to share, I had the chicken and mushroom pot pie, the +1 had the slow cooked ribs. All were enjoyable, none were particularly outstanding. Lots of beer, of course, with some nice craft beers. The desserts were too large to consider (so we went to Ghirardelli a while later).

Overall, not a place I would seek out, but definitely a good choice for Downtown Disney.

#59 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

There are now two Seasons 52 in Orlando and both are inconsistent. I've been back to the original perhaps 9 or 10 times since my last post above in '06. I continue to love the flatbreads (especially chicken and garlic; a shrimp one was good, too) and cedar planked salmon. I actually refuse to believe that many of the dishes are under 475 calories-especially the flatbreads. A bit better than Bonefish is probably a good analogy for most dishes. Still, I really like the layout and the ambience. Overall, it's not as good as, say Rock Creek here but it just works for me. Travelling to Orlando a couple of times a year for business and dining alone it is just perfect. I must also note that having been in five or six Seasons 52's and having heard 15 or 20 piano players I find something of a correlation to how much I enjoy the restaurant and how good/bad the piano player is. Most Seasons 52 also get an older crowd at the bar, I think-usually 30-45+.

I still wish there was one here.

I'll try the Ravenous Pig on a visit this spring.

An absolutey awful dinner at the Seasons 52 on Sand Lake road tonight. As noted several times above I love the atmosphere of this place but dinner tonight (standards: garlic chicken flat bread and cedar planked salmon) were indescribably terrible. If it was this bad on my earlier trips I never would have returned. The flatbread-whoch I have really enjoyed-made me long for several frozen pizzas...

#60 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

After 2 nights of dining on gastronomical delights such as Bahama Breeze and Red Lobster, we ventured onto Disney's property at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I was really impressed with the ambiance. It made me feel like I was back in African, as much as the Paris hotel in Vegas made me feel I was back in the city of lights. Too bad the animals roaming on their reserve were''t served at their restaurants, because the food they did serve at Boma did not remind me of Africa. I don't recall eating alot of Indian in Africa, and certainly no pita or hummus in South Africa. The spicy chicken probably isn't even as good as Nando's but since I've never been to Nando's, I can't be sure. It's definitely not as good as Super Chicken or Crisp and Juicy chicken. At $37 per person before tax and tips, this buffet doesn't compare to its bretherns in Vegas.

#61 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

After 3 nights of mostly self-induced crap, we found better food.

At Portobellow in Downtown Disney, they did a great job of frying calamari. Light batter, crispy, not oily, like the stuff we got in Venice, found only at Palena in DC. Decent pasta dishes, but the pizza was really small. On a 4 star scale, I'd say it's 2.5 stars.

Portobello

Also at Downtown Disney is Ragland Road, an Irish pub. We were only interested because their next door neighbor advertised Irish fish and chips (Cooke's of Dublin). After some research, Ragland's fish and chips were supposedly even better. They did no disappoint, the cod was as good as Eammon's. Too bad they only had tartar and vinegar. The SSS Beefy salad was also very good - steak wth horseradish cream accompanied by a salad. The Beef Murray - beef stew wrapped in pastry - was just so so.

Ragland Road

Thanksgiving was spent at La Luce, in the Hilton at Bonnet Creek. It's upscale but still casual elegant, and baby friendly. We tried some pizza, antipasti misti, fritto misto (good frying but not quite as good as Portobello, but the rock shrimp was especially good), orrechiette with clam and kale for me and ravioli in tomato sauce for my wife. Overall, a solid restaurant, more variety than Portobello but about the same level when it comes to execution.

La Luce

I would go back to all 3 restaurants.

#62 stilgar

stilgar

shrimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Returned from another trip to Orlando this week. Went to two places of note. First is Del Frisco's off of Lee Rd. It seems that this location is what the Del Frisco's chain is based on, but this one is supposedly independently owned and operated. Straight forward steakhouse. Prime beef and a la carte sides. As fate would have it I was at Ruth's Chris the week before and I would say that I preferred Del Frisco's steak. Website

Second was The Ravenous Pig in Winter Park. Had been trying to get there for some time. It was excellent all around. Only issue I had was the pork belly starter was too small to share and believe it or not a little too fatty. Was still delicious. My main was duck cassoulet. Real depth of flavor throughout and crispy duck skin. Co-signing on what many others have said here, if you are going to Orlando go here to eat. You will not be disappointed. Map Website

#63 kturkey88

kturkey88

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

We went to Seasons 52 last week and honestly felt like bringing our bring our 1 year old could have gone either way. We've been there before alone, but a 5pm reservation and a wonderful server really made it work. With too many days of fried, fast food under our belts, we were desperate for something refreshing and relatively healthy and the food was exactly what we were looking for. A tuna "sushi roll" was really nice, a large duck salad was ok, and the mahi mahi special was excellent. I forget what else we ordered, but either way, it was a nice change from the Rainforest Cafes, etc. I didn't see a lot - if any- other high-chair-aged kids in the restaurant, but the server was welcoming to us and really kept things moving. He came over right away to offer to bring some warm, whole-grain type roll for our son to pick on, and gave him a cardboard sippy cup to drink from. We ordered quickly to keep things moving, but worked our way through at least 2 apps, an entree and a side in a quick, but not really rushed meal thanks to our server keeping the dishes coming, clearing as soon as he could, and treating us really well even though we could have been "those people".
leave the gun, take the cannolis.

#64 Joe H

Joe H

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

I MUCH prefer Sand Lake road's original Seasons 52 (first of all of them) to the Tyson's location which opens to the Mall.

#65 Pete

Pete

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

We spent 4 days at Disney last week and, with the exception of a mediocre meal at IHOP, ate (and were gouged) exclusively at the Disney parks.

Boma–Flavors of Africa: located in the Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. There were several African-inspired dishes; however, the macaroni & cheese probably doesn’t count. Most of the dishes we had were pretty good, particularly the prime rib and the basic roast chicken. There were some interesting side dishes, and the desserts were good. This was probably one of the better meals on our trip, which is kind of like picking the smartest Kardashian sister.

Magic Kingdom: Collectively is a culinary wasteland. The best meal here was, at best, acceptable. The food is designed to feed the masses. Our low expectations for food here were not met. The food here is staring up longingly at the Mendoza line.

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall: Located in Epcot. We had Breakfast with the Princesses which our 4-year old loved. Don’t go in expecting good food and you won’t be disappointed. Just keep telling yourself “we’re here for the princesses” and you won’t feel like you were ripped off when you get your check.

Restaurant Marrakesh: Located in the Moroccan pavilion at Epcot. We had a spur-of-the-moment late lunch here that was very good. The roasted lamb shank that I had was surprisingly flavorful (if a bit dry), while my wife’s Lemon Chicken was prepared nicely, as the lemon flavor was present but not overpowering.

Boulangerie Patisserie: Located in the French pavilion at Epcot. Decent ham & cheese baguettes, tarts, and croissants.

Fairfax Fare: Located in Hollywood Studios. They are “known” for their “gourmet hotdogs”, which we did not order. We did have an acceptable pork sandwich and a surprisingly good smoked turkey leg, which had a good smoke flavor and was not the least bit dry (given the size of the turkey leg, I would be scared sh*&tless if I ever met the full-sized bird).

Lisa: Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?
Homer: Well, I think the veal died of loneliness.

#66 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Disney dining at Christmas. I must be crazy. Right now we plans for breakfast at the Crystal Palace (Pooh), Kona Cafe (banana stuffed french toast) and Tusker House (Donald Duck in safari gear),lunch at Tony's (Lady and the Tramp theming) and Le Cellier. Our one big dinner splurge is Artists Point in the Wilderness Lodge the night before we leave.

The hot ticket at Disney right now is the new Be Our Guest, Beauty and the Best themed dining. I didn't get a reservation there and I'm not going to wait 90 minutes in line for lunch. Sigh...

Because we are doing this last minute and trying to keep to some sort of budget, we passed on California Grill. Maybe next time.

#67 SeanMike

SeanMike

Pan-Human Alcoholist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm flying to Orlando tomorrow for the annual I/ITSEC conference, but this time I'll be staying at the Doubletree Sea World. Any recommendations nearby to there? I'm scared, hold me.

http://www.scofflawsden.com/
The Scofflaw's Den, Cocktails and Cigars
It just keeps going, and going, and going...
http://www.gamersinfo.net/
Video game reviews
http://www.seanmike.info
Book reviews and general life

#68 ad.mich

ad.mich

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I was steered towards 4 Rivers Smokehouse earlier this fall. Allow me to suggest you steer away from 4 Rivers Smokehouse, unless the idea of 'famous burnt ends' that are closer to chipped beef appeals to you.

My kingdom(e) for a Seattle hot dog in the district

#69 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Sigh... We went, we were all sick with colds, viruses and bronchitis, and we ate. The first sign that we were doing well is when the little guy opted for chicken soup at Panera the first night over pizza at Disney Hollywood Studios.

Food highlights: The Wave at the Contemporary Resort. We ended up canceling Artist Point because we were too tired and switched to the wave. Really fresh, tasty food. Mr. BLB had a lovely steak and I had a very nice lamb shank.

Tusker House in the Animal Kingdom had the best breakfast buffet of the trip. The character interaction is still the best at Crystal Palace but their food is just okay.

Yak and Yeti in the Animal Kingdom. It is owned and run by Landry. It is fake Asian food. Yet it was also really well done and tasty. Or maybe we were simply beaten down by then.

Lowlights:

Le Cellier in Epcot. People RAVE and RAVE and RAVE about how great it is. I had a perfectly okay meal there but I don't get how it has become an obsession for so many Disney fans.

Counter service at the Magic Kingdom--we had two really awful meals at Pinochio's and Cosmic Rays. Really, really, awful meals. Terrible salads, roasted chicken and burgers. The french fries were good.

I think we're done with Disney for a while though.

#70 ad.mich

ad.mich

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Three nights in Orlando this week, snow flight permitting... anyone been recently?  I've done Cask and Larder a few times (pretty solid) but thinking I might finally drop in to Ravenous Pig.

#71 tfbrennan

tfbrennan

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Definitely go to Ravenous Pig. We (me, wife and son) were there in early January (based on reviews here) and were very, very impressed. We arrived early (4:30), were seated in the bar area and the bartender/manager on duty attended to us with drinks and apps while the wait staff finished their meeting.Truffle pasta special of the day, a huge bone-in ribeye (Tomahawk chop, if I recall) and steak frites were our 3 entrees. All superb. My wife loved the pasta, letting me only have a taste despite that we usually equally share our orders. Tomahawk billed (and priced) as serving 2; we thought leftovers would be good in a steak salad the next day but the three of us did not leave any of it. Service excellent. If ever back in Orlando area, we will return.

She came down the stairs in a cocktail dress; she fell on her food like a lioness... -- Richard Thompson

#72 ad.mich

ad.mich

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

A few days again in Orlando and Orlando North, where I find myself increasingly for work...

Ravenous Pig was awesome.  Ate at the bar with a lively crowd for a mid-week late evening.  Ribeye Tartare ($15) with roasted beets, horseradish croquettes, and pickled quail egg went fantastic with a full pint pour of Hopslam (at $6 a pleasant surprise).  Only downside to this plate was the pile of technically edible faux 'dirt' all over the middle - I thought that silly trend had past.  The bad gastronomy was more than made up for by the horseradish croquette, which was fritter on the outside with a liquid horseradish cream core.  Next course was a special of roasted octopus with dueling sauces of romanesco and mole, with greens and grapefruit as well.  The combinations and perfectly cooked octopus (nearly undercooked, melt-in-your mouth, no char but no chew) made for rich, lusty eating.  Bartender paired it beautifully with a sparkling rose.  Dessert was a foie gras torchon served with 'dark and stormy' gingerbread.  Similar to the foie and french toast trend in dc right now, this combo is just sweet and rich enough on both sides to compliment each other.  Bartender tossed a half glass in front of me unrequested as well. "We just nearly killed a bottle of sauternes and who needs the last bit more than the guy having foie for dessert?"  Can't argue with that.

Also had a massive, softball sized/shaped grouper steak at Winter Park Fish Club that came with a cup of ahi tuna chili.  Yes, chunks (and bits) of ahi in chili.  I can't say it worked 100% but it was interesting enough, and the grouper was good enough to change my preconceptions about that fish.  Thicker really works with grouper.  WPFC is a super informal shack serving plates and sandwiches paired with a ton of sides (think a slightly more evolved/fancier Fishnet).

Cubans On The Run (their joke, not mine) was pointed to me as the best Cuban in the area.  The cuban sandwich was just ok but that was my mistake.  As I waited I saw all the regulars going towards the heated case for ropa vieja and the like.  Fortunately the papa rellena I had while I waited was big as my head and did most of the work filling me up regardless.  The liquid crack Cuban Coffee was essential for me as well, and I stopped by several times while I was visiting.   I need to come back and explore the fryer and warmers.

#73 The Delicious

The Delicious

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

Dining at Disneyworld

Rain Forest Cafe (Downtown Disney): We were pressed for time and very hungry, so this is where we ended up. The service was pushy, always trying to upwell us, some of which worked. I must admit that I rather liked their tex-mex egg rolls, and my burger was adequate if horribly overpriced (not unsurprising since it's Disney). My wife got the  BBQ Wrap (iirc), which the server noted was made with the same beef as their brisket (or some slow-cooked meat), and was tender, flavorful and very good.

The Plaza Restaurant (Magic Kingdom): I had a really good Cheesesteak here! In fact, we all enjoyed our meal. We topped it off with a giant banana split and Brownie Sundae. Worth it! I've long thought that the food was surprisingly bad at the Magic Kingdom given it's their signature property, yet this place was excellent.

Boma (Animal Kingdom Hotel): I’ve eaten here several times and always enjoy it. It’s an expensive buffet ($37 pp) and probably not worth it, yet I can’t help but go. I do really like the food and the amount of choices. It’s also nice to get outside before/after a meal and see the animals grazing about.

Flying Fish Café (Boardwalk): This is our second visit here and we continue to really like the food. I had the Surf and Surf, which was a piece of fish (I don’t remember which) stuffed with crab. Others had the scallops, which were large and came with a tasty risotto. The portions are huge.

Sci-Fi Diner (Hollywood Studios): I had a good burger, but what you’re really going for is the novelty of the old-car-tables and giant screen showing old films.

San Angel Inn (Epcot, Mexico): I got the enchiladas and a horchata margarita, both of which I thought were very good. Our service was atrocious, alas.

Via Napoli (Epcot, Italy): We had a really good pizza here and a bunch of tasty sides including calamari, arancini, and mozzarella caprese. This place is on the list for when we return.

• DonRocks and Gary Tanigawa like this

#74 Gary Tanigawa

Gary Tanigawa

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

A few years ago, I thought the Wolfgang Puck Cafe was the best "table service" option in Downtown Disney. BTW, this blog has useful (if not very critical) information about Disney restaurants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users