Piano Bars

Hello everyone, we're taking my mother-in-law out this Friday for her 75th birthday. My in-laws like piano bars - do you have any recommendations? I would like to find a restaurant that has a piano bar so that we don’t have to leave. Places like Kinkaid’s and Prime Rib are over the top for their tastes, however. Thanks in advance if you can help!

Hello everyone, we're taking my mother-in-law out this Friday for her 75th birthday. My in-laws like piano bars - do you have any recommendations? I would like to find a restaurant that has a piano bar so that we don’t have to leave. Places like Kinkaid’s and Prime Rib are over the top for their tastes, however. Thanks in advance if you can help!

Mr. Smith's in Georgetown is the first (and only) one that pops to mind. Definitely not posh, if that's what you meant by over the top. Can't vouch for the food, though.

I think there are cross-purposes here. TedE takes "piano bar" in the sense of a place with a piano player where customers sit around the piano and sing, as at Mr. Smith's. Does that happen at Kinkead's or the Prime Rib? I don't think so. In fact, I fervently hope not. Does the original poster really just mean a restaurant with someone playing the piano with no customers singing? If so, Marcel's comes to mind, but if Kinkead's is over the top for them, Marcel's would be way over the top.

This may be way out of your geographic and/or culinary range, but Jesse Wong's Asean Bistro in Columbia has a piano player playing show tunes during dinner. It's a quite elegant interior, and the food is surprisingly good.

Here is more info ---> click

Columbia Palace 9, 8775 Centre Park Drive

Columbia Maryland 21045

410-772-5300

p.s. Welcome Eric P!

This may be way out of your geographic and/or culinary range, but Jesse Wong's Asean Bistro in Columbia has a piano player playing show tunes during dinner. It's a quite elegant interior, and the food is surprisingly good.

Here is more info ---> click

Columbia Palace 9, 8775 Centre Park Drive

Columbia Maryland 21045

410-772-5300

I agree - an excellent choice for Chinese food in Columbia. They do very good versions of the standard "American Chinese" dishes, but they have a separate menu with the "authentic" dishes, and I've found them pleased when you ask them to recommend something off the beaten path.

Does Elysium in the Morrison Hotel in Old Town still have piano "service?"
Elysium closed its doors a while back..but according to the website, there is a piano bar:
Complementing any stay at Morrison House is a dining experience at The Grille. Led by Executive Chef Ryan Houde, our restaurant features relaxed American fine dining with dishes made using the freshest of ingredients, sourced just in time from nearby Virginia farms, markets and artisans.

Join us for drinks before dinner in the Parlor, after which you'll be seated in one of our three comfortable dining rooms. Warm, knowledgeable service combines with a menu of fish, free-range fowl, the finest meats and perfect produce for a memorable evening. Our Cellar Master completes the experience by assisting you with selections from our extensive wine list.

Perfectly suited to the warmth and elegant surroundings of Morrison House, The Grille serves dinner every evening. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, enjoy our classic piano bar with live music provided by our guests and friends from Old Town Alexandria. And for parties of ten or more, The Grille and Morrison House offer a prix fixe menu with hors d'oeuvres and wine pairings in a beautiful private setting.

To make reservations, please call The Grille at 703.838.8000.

I think there are cross-purposes here. TedE takes "piano bar" in the sense of a place with a piano player where customers sit around the piano and sing, as at Mr. Smith's. Does that happen at Kinkead's or the Prime Rib? I don't think so. In fact, I fervently hope not. Does the original poster really just mean a restaurant with someone playing the piano with no customers singing? If so, Marcel's comes to mind, but if Kinkead's is over the top for them, Marcel's would be way over the top.

Where is TedE?? Could not find it by Google. Thanks for the help

Where is TedE?? Could not find it by Google. Thanks for the help
I fear you misapprehend my remark. "TedE" was the poster who suggested Mr. Smith's, which has a sing-along type of piano bar. TedE is not an establishment featuring such entertainment. But you've never clarified what it is you're looking for. A place that has a piano player, or a place that has a piano player and encourages the customers to sing?

Bombay Club has had a background showtune/standards (but not sing-a-long) piano player in the past. Might suit if they are a bit adventurous (or British). I find the setting and the service impeccable and the price won't necessarily kill.

The Morrison House in Old Town does have a piano bar with a wonderful player. And the setting is lovely. However, a crowd gathers around the piano to sing show tunes, so it's not a quiet event. If your mother likes old show tunes sung by sometimes very good singers (professionals and semi-professionals do show up to just have fun), then go for it. Oh, and the bar does some very good drinks. It's sort of elegant and eventful all at once. My Broadway loving pals seemed to just love it.

The Morrison House in Old Town does have a piano bar with a wonderful player. And the setting is lovely. However, a crowd gathers around the piano to sing show tunes, so it's not a quiet event. If your mother likes old show tunes sung by sometimes very good singers (professionals and semi-professionals do show up to just have fun), then go for it. Oh, and the bar does some very good drinks. It's sort of elegant and eventful all at once. My Broadway loving pals seemed to just love it.
Well, the drinks are still good, but the Broadway piano bar thing isn't what it used to be. Apparently singing now only happens on Thursdays - the source of much grumbling from the many regular (and talented) singers. Piano still goes on Friday and Saturday nights and the new policy is being tried out on a month-by-month basis. It is a shame, since the ambience was great, but if folks ain't drinking/eating one can certainly understand the larger (corporate Kimpton) forces at work in this decision. Add the fact that the space has competing uses - quiet, upscale dining room AND raucous lounge - and you've got some tricky wickets to manage. Sure to be more Old Town-scale drama to follow as this plays out
UPDATE: The piano bar late of Morrison House appears to have been reincarnated at the lounge upstairs from Bistrot Lafayette Friday and Saturday nights starting at 9:30pm. All the old Morrison House regulars were there last night, along with the piano player - show tunes were abundant ;) . The setting isn't quite as sophisticated as it was at the Morrison House, but there's no conflict with diners or anyone else. It's all about the singing! Not sure what's going on at the Morrison House these days - will have to check that out...